Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Japanese Steel: Classic Bicycle Design from Japan

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Japanese Steel: Classic Bicycle Design from Japan

Old 05-28-19, 07:23 AM
jahue

Bikes: Centurion Le-Mans (Bought by my father in-law while in the NAVY in Japan in 1970s), Bianchi campione d'italia 78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have this book saved in my wish list... do you know how much of the book is dedicated to Centurion? I know the preview shows Centurion, but I have several other books that maybe dedicated two pages tops.
Old 05-28-19, 07:51 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by jahue
I have this book saved in my wish list... do you know how much of the book is dedicated to Centurion? I know the preview shows Centurion, but I have several other books that maybe dedicated two pages tops.
You may be happy to know that there are 22 pages devoted to Centurion.
Old 05-28-19, 08:27 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
I've had this thing sitting in the Amazon cart for too long. Nick Ozerov (who provided more bikes in this book than it lets on) is a friend, and keeps prodding me to get it too...

...I've got to get off my penguin butt and get this for once.

-Kurt

Old 05-28-19, 08:40 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by cudak888
I've had this thing sitting in the Amazon cart for too long. Nick Ozerov (who provided more bikes in this book than it lets on) is a friend, and keeps prodding me to get it too...
Actually, it gives full credit in the back of the book as to the owners of the bikes used, and Nick seems to own most of them, haha.
Old 05-28-19, 08:55 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by johnnyace
Actually, it gives full credit in the back of the book as to the owners of the bikes used, and Nick seems to own most of them, haha.
He could fill about five books with what he owns. Definitely one of the key collections in the US today.

I remember when he used to geek out primarily about French stuff. After this book, he started to wax poetic over Superbe Pro

Bought the book.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 05-29-19, 06:10 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

After this book, he started to wax poetic over Superbe Pro
Always my favorite. I was happy to find that they give Suntour the credit they deserve.
Old 06-03-19, 12:18 PM
endoftheisland

Bikes: 1956 Schwinn Corvette, 1979 Schwinn Stingray, 1980 Schwinn Twinn, 1981 Brian Rourke custom, 1983 Trek 720 Touring, 1984 Trek 620 Touring, 1984 Fuji Touring IV, 1984 Fuji Touring III Pub bike conversion, 1997 Trek 520 Touring, 2017 AllCity Spacehourse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for posting. I just ordered a copy
Old 06-03-19, 03:53 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

My copy came in last week. Phenomenal pictures and quite a spread of machines - including a few "attainable" bikes presented for their importance and quality rather than Grail Status.

The book does it all too - it's visually like Golden Age of Handbuilt Bicycles, but it also has exceptional documentation on each bike too, along with tubing info and the like, all wrapped around the historical story of how Japanese bikes came to be. One can educate themselves on Japanese machines quite well just reading this book alone.

-Kurt

Old 06-04-19, 08:32 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I'd have to check the Koga-Miyata catalogues but the American version of the Aero Miyata did not use a butted set, as neither the literature nor decals mention butting. There were two Tange Aero Dynamics tubesets but they were called plain gauge and double plain gauge. The latter had thicker lateral walls but this difference in gauge was consistent along the entire length of the tube, which is different than butting. I can appreciate why some people would consider this butted, as it's not a single gauge but since Tange considered it a variant of plain gauge, that's how I prefer to classify it.
Originally Posted by jiangshi
The tubing used on AR6000's was called 'Aero dynamics Cro-Mo D.P.G.' -- Double Plain Gauge, I would guess. I had one at one time. Damn nice bike.
Mine is in storage at the moment...I'll take a photo of it when I can...

This was from Tim's awesome Lotus site. https://www.vintagelotusbicycles.com/...ro__Aero_.html

Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 06-04-19, 08:54 AM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
This book is really beautiful---- and the history of each maker is interesting enough that I found myself wishing for more even more content, covering more models from each mfr.

But it's nice to have on the coffee table--- even helped my wife understand why I'm so taken by these old industrial objects.

My Japanese list:
1976 Centurion Semi-Pro (bought as a single speed, maybe one day I'll convert back to geared with the proper black Cyclone stuff)
1984 Fuji Team
1989 Ironman Expert
1989 Ironman Prestige
Likes For no67el:
Old 06-05-19, 09:51 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake

This was from Tim's awesome Lotus site. Super Pro Aero

I don't believe the Lotus used the same tubes as an AR6000
Old 06-05-19, 09:53 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by jiangshi
I don't believe the Lotus used the same tubes as an AR6000
I'm wondering just how many variants of this tubeset were offered!!! The Lotus is the only one I've seen with the crazy aero bits; I've read it's bondo, but it's awfully magnetic.
Old 06-05-19, 10:20 AM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
I'm wondering just how many variants of this tubeset were offered!!! The Lotus is the only one I've seen with the crazy aero bits; I've read it's bondo, but it's awfully magnetic.
At least two! I wonder if one was for lugs, the other welded?
Old 06-06-19, 07:35 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts

This was from Tim's awesome Lotus site. Super Pro Aero
Thank-you for posting the decal picture. I can't recall seeing that particular decal. You're probably already familiar with it but here's an internet picture of the decal applied to the America market Aero Miyatas. There's no mention of butting on either the tubing decal or in the American Miyata catalogues. It's hard to believe that Miyata's marketing department would miss an opportunity to exploit butting, if it was in fact butted (or double plain gauge). Conversely, it's just as hard to believe that Miyata wouldn't use the top Tange Aero Dynamics tubeset on this model. It would be interesting to get a chance to examine one in person.
Old 06-06-19, 07:51 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Thank-you for posting the decal picture. I can't recall seeing that particular decal. You're probably already familiar with it but here's an internet picture of the decal applied to the America market Aero Miyatas. There's no mention of butting on either the tubing decal or in the American Miyata catalogues. It's hard to believe that Miyata's marketing department would miss an opportunity to exploit butting, if it was in fact butted (or double plain gauge). Conversely, it's just as hard to believe that Miyata wouldn't use the top Tange Aero Dynamics tubeset on this model. It would be interesting to get a chance to examine one in person.
I wonder if the Tsunoda/Lotus frames were a unique offering with Tange...and just how many variants of the aero tubing they offered! I had always assumed that Miyata/Panasonic/Araya and Lotus used the same tubing (two sets...one higher end/lower end), but maybe not...
Old 06-07-19, 01:22 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 160 Posts

This is the Tange sticker from my Vista Aero Course. It is a not a full aero frame like many top end models. The main tubes are round at the ends and tear drop shaped only in the middle.
Old 07-12-19, 01:38 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
I'm glad to hear everyone is enjoying the book! I was really blessed to get to photograph such beautiful machines!! What do you think we should do next? Any thoughts?

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Likes For ScottRyder:
Old 07-12-19, 06:47 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by ScottRyder
I'm glad to hear everyone is enjoying the book! I was really blessed to get to photograph such beautiful machines!! What do you think we should do next? Any thoughts?

Scott
I feel like a complete idiot realizing - just now - who the "Scott Ryder" on the cover actually is. I should have known someone from C&V was involved...

I'd suggest English road bikes, but even though they haven't been done to death like Italian or French machines, there's a ton of them. How about something that focuses on classic IGH city bikes from prior to the TI-Raleigh takeover of everything?

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-12-19, 08:27 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 349 Posts
I feel like a complete idiot realizing - just now - who the "Scott Ryder" on the cover actually is. I should have known someone from C&V was involved...

I'd suggest English road bikes, but even though they haven't been done to death like Italian or French machines, there's a ton of them. How about something that focuses on classic IGH city bikes from prior to the TI-Raleigh takeover of everything?

-Kurt
I’ll second that! I’m eagerly awaiting -English Steel- Classic Bicycle Design From England.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 07-12-19 at 08:35 PM.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 07-14-19, 09:50 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

-Kurt
Luckily there were a few members who helped Mr. Bevington with research and questions. Team effort!

Kiddingly, I think the next book should be about what it took to do the first book. It was a long process but worth it in the end.

British bikes would be my first choice, only because I know the collection Nick V. has. And I'd love to take my show on the road and go to the collection rather than having the bikes shipped one at a time to me. It would be a huge help with logistics and costs. Second, there are some Japanese builders that I think would make a lovely book, such as Toei, Erba, Nagasawa, Zunow, 3 Rensho, and Cherubim.

Cheers,

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Likes For ScottRyder:
Old 07-14-19, 11:46 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Luckily there were a few members who helped Mr. Bevington with research and questions. Team effort!

Kiddingly, I think the next book should be about what it took to do the first book. It was a long process but worth it in the end.

British bikes would be my first choice, only because I know the collection Nick V. has. And I'd love to take my show on the road and go to the collection rather than having the bikes shipped one at a time to me. It would be a huge help with logistics and costs. Second, there are some Japanese builders that I think would make a lovely book, such as Toei, Erba, Nagasawa, Zunow, 3 Rensho, and Cherubim.

Cheers,

Scott
Nick told me what it took to get his Japanese machines up there. That doesn't include the whole ordeal of getting that one Fuji Titanium shipped to him - shame it couldn't have been in the bike.

You could run a portable photography studio, if you could rent a storage space for a week in each location.

-Kurt

Old 07-14-19, 01:14 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Sometimes I really hate software.
Mr. Matush1ta probably doesn't like it either.
Old 07-15-19, 08:37 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Nick told me what it took to get his Japanese machines up there. That doesn't include the whole ordeal of getting that one Fuji Titanium shipped to him - shame it couldn't have been in the bike.

You could run a portable photography studio, if you could rent a storage space for a week in each location.

-Kurt
Usually there's photography studios available for rent in most areas, that's one option. And you're right, the other is to pack up the whole deal and drive down and shoot it at some warehouse. There's plus and minuses of each. Or, put all the bikes in one big truck or pod and send to me already built up and ready to go. A lot of our time was spent building and prepping rather than shooting on the Japanese Steel project. Most expensive bike wrench guy ever!

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Likes For ScottRyder:
Old 07-15-19, 10:46 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Another vote for a book of this quality with vintage British cycles, especially from the 50's. A staggering number of small builders turned out some of the most elegant framesets I've ever seen.
Old 07-15-19, 11:21 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 336 Posts
Second, there are some Japanese builders that I think would make a lovely book, such as Toei, Erba, Nagasawa, Zunow, 3 Rensho, and Cherubim.

Cheers,

Scott
Scott - there are some Japanese bike shops and collectors who would basically complete your needs in a visit or two if you pursued the custom builder route. I'm thinking Shinkai Cycle, specifically. Check out their Instagram page.

I have an early 80s Alps bike built by Toei that I would offer for photographs but it's probably been repainted some time in the last 15 years.
Likes For TenGrainBread:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.