Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pull the trigger or wait?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-02-19, 08:47 AM
Corvenis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got back into cycling in March. I'm riding a 2002 Schwinn Moab MBT with 28mm Gator skins Ughh... Averaging between 120-150 miles per week...Just saved up enough $$ to buy the bikes I've had my eyes on.. The Trek Emonda sl 6 disc or the Canyon cf sl 8.0 disc.. So my dilemma is should I buy the Trek with rim brakes to get on an actual road bike that's in stock? Or keep crushing the miles on my current POS save more $$ and wait for the 2020's to come out..Which I have no clue when that is... If anyone has insight on the approximate releases date for new model year Trek and Canyon's would be greatly appreciated..
Old 06-02-19, 09:01 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I really have no opinion on what you should do. Some manufactures start having sales,on that years model, towards the end of June, 1st of July. Some of them do not need to do that due to good sales numbers. I know Trek in past years is one that did not need to have specials. The problem with waiting, especially if you want a particular bike, is the real possibility that they will be sold out. Have you thought about getting a nice used road bike? There are a lot of them available at really good pricing, especially ones with tall frames. In the end, it is you that has to make a decision.
Old 06-02-19, 09:16 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
When I was in the business the major manufacturers used to roll out the new bread and butter models whenever they were no longer able to ship a full size run. Cutting edge models they held until after the October Interbike Show in Las Vegas.
Old 06-02-19, 09:18 AM
Corvenis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks delbiker1... Yea I'm really torn on what to do..
Old 06-02-19, 09:56 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Unless you are riding in the mountains or wet weather I do not see disc brakes as being a must have component.

Last year my brother purchased a slightly used 2017 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro with Ultegra 8000 components in near mint condition, off Ebay for $2,200 shipped. There are deals out there if you want them.
Old 06-02-19, 10:01 AM
RVH
Bob in the mountains

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.9 (2004 model bought used)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Pull the trigger NOW. Don't wait. There will always be a better bike in the future and if you don't pull the trigger you never will.
Old 06-02-19, 12:58 PM
Corvenis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Unless you are riding in the mountains or wet weather I do not see disc brakes as being a must have component.

Last year my brother purchased a slightly used 2017 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro with Ultegra 8000 components in near mint condition, off Ebay for $2,200 shipped. There are deals out there if you want them.
Absolutely no need for disc.. Just wanted them for resale purpose in a couple of years..
Old 06-02-19, 01:16 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Corvenis
Absolutely no need for disc.. Just wanted them for resale purpose in a couple of years..
If you buy new new, ride the bike hard for 5 to 10 years, then try to resell... Disc brakes won't make a whole heap of difference.

And, let's say they do make a difference in the selling price.

So, in 5 years, you can sell your disc brake bike for $1300 and rim brake bike for $800

Great!!!!

Unless the disc bike costs $500 more to start with, and you've gained nothing.

If budgets are tight, then look at the used, end of the year sale, or barely used markets.
Old 06-02-19, 01:28 PM
Corvenis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
If you buy new new, ride the bike hard for 5 to 10 years, then try to resell... Disc brakes won't make a whole heap of difference.

And, let's say they do make a difference in the selling price.

So, in 5 years, you can sell your disc brake bike for $1300 and rim brake bike for $800

Great!!!!

Unless the disc bike costs $500 more to start with, and you've gained nothing.

If budgets are tight, then look at the used, end of the year sale, or barely used markets.
Thanks for the logic... Think I might take your advice... Don't really care about the money issue when selling... Just thought it would be easier and faster to unload when I was ready to upgrade... Seems like everything is going to be disc soon..Thanks for the perspective..
Old 06-02-19, 01:35 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
MTBs jumped to disc fairly quickly.

It has been a long time coming for the road bikes.

Hard to say what will ultimately happen. Especially as the industry is moving away from mechanical discs to hydraulic discs.

And, bikes as old as 50 or more years old are still being regularly ridden.

Another thing, unless you are a pro racer, there is no reason to upgrade your bike every couple of years.

Choose one that you'll want to ride for the next 20 or 30 years.

Yeah, there will be a few new things. 9/10/11/12 speed rear ends... whatever

Or, perhaps you'll be able to upgrade what you get to what you want.
Old 06-02-19, 01:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My LBS has a few bikes on sale on the floor at the moment, but none are as high end as your tastes seem to indicate..

Rural County Used MTB sell quickly , but not at Collector prices..

If anyone has insight on the approximate releases date for new model year Trek 's would be greatly appreciated.
that would come from yout Trek dealer..

I believe *Canyon bypasses dealers like Bikes Direct, and so it warehouse to your door..
*never seen one around these parts..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-02-19 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-02-19, 01:58 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Trek just had a sale over Memorial Day weekend. So you'll likely be waiting several months for another one.
Old 06-02-19, 02:09 PM
wedgeSG

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 5.2 '14 Giant Thrive - (wife's)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
One other thing to consider is Trek no longer attaches a model year date to any offering. The new whatever it is will be simply the “NEW” whatever it is. And it will come out whenever and if it does
Old 06-02-19, 02:41 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
At this point in time, worrying about the resale value of a new bike is wasted energy. Unless you are spending big money on something that has a limited number available, and there are a lot of people lining up for it, the value is going drop precipitously. However, that is coming from a person that buys a bike with long term intentions. Since 1979 I have purchased 8 bikes and I still have 4 of them. The other 4 were given to good friends or someone I knew in need of a bike but no funds to purchase one. I only regret giving away a 1978 Miyata road bike that I gave to a co-worker for his way to get to work. He sold the bike 2 weeks later for $50. He used the $50 dollars as trade money for a crack *****. AAAAARRGH!
Old 06-02-19, 03:59 PM
Corvenis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
At this point in time, worrying about the resale value of a new bike is wasted energy. Unless you are spending big money on something that has a limited number available, and there are a lot of people lining up for it, the value is going drop precipitously. However, that is coming from a person that buys a bike with long term intentions. Since 1979 I have purchased 8 bikes and I still have 4 of them. The other 4 were given to good friends or someone I knew in need of a bike but no funds to purchase one. I only regret giving away a 1978 Miyata road bike that I gave to a co-worker for his way to get to work. He sold the bike 2 weeks later for $50. He used the $50 dollars as trade money for a crack *****. AAAAARRGH!
Think I should have been a little more descriptive about the disc brakes... Yes I think they would help for resale...But the main reason I chose a disc break bike is just because they look awesome... Can't forget ascetics.. I want a sweet looking ride.. Any ways I'd like to thank everyone who chimed in.. Guess I'll mull it over for a day or 2.. Go back up to my LBS and see if they have any idea when the 2020's come out.. I'f I do pull the trigger, I'll post image below..
Old 06-02-19, 04:18 PM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Think I should have been a little more descriptive about the disc brakes... Yes I think they would help for resale...But the main reason I chose a disc break bike is just because they look awesome... Can't forget ascetics.. I want a sweet looking ride.. Any ways I'd like to thank everyone who chimed in.. Guess I'll mull it over for a day or 2.. Go back up to my LBS and see if they have any idea when the 2020's come out.. I'f I do pull the trigger, I'll post image below..
Don't think you should get to hung up on a 2020 unless u know how it looks as far as color scheme a 2019 or even a 2018 if you can find one left over . Will save u upwards of 35 to 40 percent off original cost for the older models stores want to sell old inventory but as far as performance goes don't think u will see much difference
Old 06-04-19, 03:23 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts
Just got back into cycling in March. I'm riding a 2002 Schwinn Moab MBT with 28mm Gator skins Ughh... Averaging between 120-150 miles per week...Just saved up enough $$ to buy the bikes I've had my eyes on.. The Trek Emonda sl 6 disc or the Canyon cf sl 8.0 disc.. So my dilemma is should I buy the Trek with rim brakes to get on an actual road bike that's in stock? Or keep crushing the miles on my current POS save more $$ and wait for the 2020's to come out..Which I have no clue when that is... If anyone has insight on the approximate releases date for new model year Trek and Canyon's would be greatly appreciated..
I am huge on getting a leftover bike, heck even a new 2-3 years hold back with give the most bang for your buck as long as your getting the tech and performance you need. All of my bikes I have gotten as "new" but were hold backs and I literally got them for 40%-60% off MSRP.

Now this will differ immensely between dealers and even manufactures since some manufactures don't let their unsold bikes go to wholesale: IE Trek since they sell directly sell their own sale and clearance
Old 06-04-19, 03:35 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts
mmm while most road bikes probably will come standard with Disc brakes in a few years you will always have some purists or weight weenies who refuse. Honestly cyclists are some pretty finicky people and them buying your buy a couple years from now will not be due to not having Discs. If you look at any marketplace or any bike wholesaler they will tell you the most leftover are due to funky sizes and niche bikes.

I just spoke to a contact who is a wholesaler and he told me the number one overstocked bike at the end of the season is gravel/cyclo-cross. Also another common hold back is high end bikes since a lot of markets can't sell $7K+ bikes regularly. He told me a story how a client was interested in a Scott Genius 900 Tuned which is a $7K bike and how a dealer mistakenly brought one in and wasn't able to sell it. He sold it to his client for $4K while still making money off the transaction. So my point is a feature that isn't even close to being 100% adopted will not stop you from reselling your bike down the line, however resale value wise don't expect much since bikes are worse than cars
Old 06-04-19, 04:27 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Not til you see the whites of their eyes

...wait, what?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-04-19, 04:48 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Rim brakes vs. disc has been bantered endlessly, and there is no right answer. Well maybe both brake types are right.

I'm pretty sure bicycles are typically not a good investment - kinda like cars. Don't put too much thought into resale.

If you've saved enough to buy a bike you've had your eye on, then do it already and post pics, that's why we opened this thread.
Old 06-05-19, 08:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
beautiful weather coming up soon ... just sayin' ;-)
Old 06-09-19, 06:40 AM
Corvenis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
beautiful weather coming up soon ... just sayin' ;-)
I know it’s killing me. So Canyons new web sights show stock dates on bikes. Ultimate cf sl disc 8.0 will be back in stock mid July. Going on vacation next weekend for 10 days. Only going to have to wait 2 more weeks when I get back. Unless the 2020 Trek sl 6 disc shows up. 2020 sl 7 and alr 5 are already available... Can’t wait.
Old 06-09-19, 01:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
So test ride some bikes and find which one you like and purchase it. There will always be something new on the horizon but if you find something you want get it and enjoy it. Don't bother with bikes that don't exist or ones you haven't ridden and may not ride till some later date if ever. Ride stuff that exists now things probably won't change too much from year to year and if they do the manufacturer will usually tell you through the various trade publications well in advance of the launch or in the case of somethings very shortly before launching (like SRAM did with AXS, they announced with stock ready and boom you could buy it shortly after)
Old 06-10-19, 07:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
vacation next weekend for 10 days
sounds like a good distraction