Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your Trek

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show your Trek

Old 06-02-19, 07:50 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 966 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by Ottomotion
...I wonder if a stud welder gun could improve that ding. It didn't take much to put that ding in it, so it wouldn't take much to take it out...
Maybe stop by an independent shop and see if they can take a few pulls on it?
It is steel. That's an interesting option, I've got a few friends that weld. I'll ask. I would love to keep the frame - my wife has loved it and they're not making this model anymore
Old 06-02-19, 07:59 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
It is steel. That's an interesting option, I've got a few friends that weld. I'll ask. I would love to keep the frame - my wife has loved it and they're not making this model anymore
I'm sure some will disagree, ugly is not necessarily scary. Looks to not be torn or cracked, very likely this can still be ridden off into the sunset as is. Bondo it, braze it, fill it, whatever. The stud welder will make a mess if the ding doesn't want to pull out as I suspect would be the case.

Devastating, yes, life threatening, not likely.
Old 06-02-19, 08:01 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by gugie
Not true. I have to have a cup of coffee before any torching, it's part of the special sauce...
Well of course, coffee, beer, smoke and fire.
Old 06-02-19, 08:15 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by merziac
I'm sure some will disagree, ugly is not necessarily scary. Looks to not be torn or cracked, very likely this can still be ridden off into the sunset as is. Bondo it, braze it, fill it, whatever. The stud welder will make a mess if the ding doesn't want to pull out as I suspect would be the case.

Devastating, yes, life threatening, not likely.
My wife rode it to work without even noticing. I discovered it while putting it on the car's rack in preparation for our first ride in GNP. It felt like a gut punch seeing it and I can't deny getting upset... but no divorce was threatened . She rode it without incident. The frame still seems straight and she can't detect any differences..

This is what I think the best option would be:

But that dent is pretty large...
Old 06-02-19, 08:25 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Ottomotion
Huge bummer.
Is it steel?
If so, coming from a car background, I wonder if a stud welder gun could improve that ding. It didn't take much to put that ding in it, so it wouldn't take much to take it out...
Maybe stop by an independent shop and see if they can take a few pulls on it? Maybe worth throwing $100 at if the bike is a keeper? It will need some finish filler and paint, but it already does....
I wouldn't use a Fitz-A-Dent to pull that ding. I've thought about trying that myself, but the spot welding process heats the metal more than I would be comfortable with for these special lightweight tubing formulas. You would also need to use considerable finesse to pull that contour out, without making things worse.
The aluminum straightening blocks are pretty cheap, and worth a shot for this in my opinion.
They can be found by scrolling down on the frame building parts page here.

Last edited by Hudson308; 06-02-19 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-02-19, 08:30 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Originally Posted by Hudson308
The aluminum straightening blocks are pretty cheap, and worth a shot for this in my opinion.
They can be found by scrolling down on the frame building partss page here.
Agreed. I was just on that page!
Old 06-02-19, 08:32 PM
merziac

My wife rode it to work without even noticing. I discovered it while putting it on the car's rack in preparation for our first ride in GNP. It felt like a gut punch seeing it and I can't deny getting upset... but no divorce was threatened . She rode it without incident. The frame still seems straight and she can't detect any differences..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTDeXG0kweA

Probably won't hurt to try, but that ding is deep and concentrated, I'd be surprised if the blocks worked very much at all. I would Bondo or steel filler it, touch up and call it a day.
Old 06-02-19, 08:42 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Probably won't hurt to try, but that ding is deep and concentrated, I'd be surprised if the blocks worked very much at all. I would Bondo or steel filler it, touch up and call it a day.
Yes, I agree. Roll it out as best you can, to remove any high spots around the area to be filled. Then JB weld and sand/feather.
Yes, This might require refinishing for an invisible repair, but IMHO this frame would be worth the effort.
Old 06-02-19, 08:44 PM
gil_00000

Bikes: 1977 Trek Tx700, 1978 Trek 510, 1969 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Univega Viva Sport, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1987 Bianchi Limited, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
So now what? Send it to @gugie and have it fixed, he can do these in his sleep and a fantastic job as well.
I actually don't know what I'm going to do. I don't know my options to be honest. So far my plan is to make a display mount for the wall in my build living room build it up with some Suntour Superbe and not ride it.

I'm out of town and only have this bad instagram picture to show the crack.

I was wondering if it would be worth while to get a donor frame or just search for a new dropout. I was able to find a frame on eBay that has different tube damage that has the correct Suntour Gs dropout. I've looked on eBay but haven't found a single dropout for sale.

Before I found the damaged frame, I was considering buying a set of Campagnolo 1010 dropouts, getting them installed. Then getting a place out west to spray some imron paint in the same color.
Old 06-02-19, 08:54 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by gil_00000
I actually don't know what I'm going to do. I don't know my options to be honest. So far my plan is to make a display mount for the wall in my build living room build it up with some Suntour Superbe and not ride it.

I'm out of town and only have this bad instagram picture to show the crack.

I was wondering if it would be worth while to get a donor frame or just search for a new dropout. I was able to find a frame on eBay that has different tube damage that has the correct Suntour Gs dropout. I've looked on eBay but haven't found a single dropout for sale.

Before I found the damaged frame, I was considering buying a set of Campagnolo 1010 dropouts, getting them installed. Then getting a place out west to spray some imron paint in the same color.
Like I said, reach out to Mark, @gugie, he will make short work of it and will not cost an arm or leg. He has done many similar repairs and all have turned out better than expected, he is exactly who you want on this, period.
Old 06-03-19, 09:14 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Alright guys, I found another Columbus-tubed one.
This one was listed cheap on the local CL as a Trek 912. Since there is no model by that number shown on the Vintage Trek website, I needed to take a closer look in person. The bike was being sold by the original owner, including the original sales receipt and owner's manual. I was disappointed to find out that the owner actually wanted more than twice the advertised price, insisting that his daughter had misinterpreted his instructions for listing it. The finish and graphics are in terribly shape, with no hint of any tubing decals anywhere. The owner didn't remember what kind of tubing it was made from, but it's a very lightweight bike. He paid extra for the Jim Blackburn rack, Zefal pump and toe clips. He also noted that he replaced the wheelset somewhere along the way. I was a bit skeptical about the model number despite confirming that's what the original shop sold it as on the sales receipt. It wasn't until the owner agreed to let me pull the steerer that I agreed to buy. We haggled a bit, and it came home with me.

The sales receipt is dated 3/28/80. However the G4F8 serial number corresponds to a 24" '78 TX700. This is why I was skeptical of the "912" model designation. Incredibly there's a dove stamp on the steerer. My guess is that the original shop received this as a bare frameset, and wasn't able to sell it for a couple years. The groupset is unimpressive, corresponding to those shown for model 412 in the 1980 Trek brochure. The shop that originally sold the bike is a reputable one, and well known locally. I would surmise they cobbled the model number together using the frameset specs and the parts they built it up with. Whatever model assigned to it, this is yet another example of the serial number on an early Trek not telling the whole story. I would call it a '78 TX770, based on info on the Vintage Trek site.

Last edited by Hudson308; 06-03-19 at 12:09 PM.
Likes For Hudson308:
Old 06-03-19, 11:47 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTDeXG0kweA

This is just the kind of work frame guys like Andy Muzi @ Yellow Jersey do very proficiently. And they can often tell a lot from enough photos, sharp and clear enough, from enough angles. I'm not familiar with the builders out your way, except possibly for Mark Nobilette in eastern Colorado.

Indeed, a dent like that will not affect the ride, and may not affect the longevity.
Old 06-03-19, 12:40 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
This is just the kind of work frame guys like Andy Muzi @ Yellow Jersey do very proficiently. And they can often tell a lot from enough photos, sharp and clear enough, from enough angles. I'm not familiar with the builders out your way, except possibly for Mark Nobilette in eastern Colorado.

Indeed, a dent like that will not affect the ride, and may not affect the longevity.
X2, Andy and Tim did a great job on my crashed Bianchi, and they are about to do a damaged Paramount I’m picking up shortly.
Tim
Old 06-09-19, 12:25 AM
jamesj

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 25 Posts
Soo on my 1980 412 I have the micro adjust headset I’m wanting to replace it with something more easier for me to use. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 06-09-19, 05:04 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
I had my ‘82 614 crown race seat and head tube milled/reamed/faced from JIS to ISO standard so I could open up my options for replacement. Still in process building, but I installed a Tange/IRD Rollerdrive.
Old 06-09-19, 09:17 AM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 91 Posts
My 1983 Trek 760 with upgraded Campy crankset and wheels with Campy hubs, and Shimano SPD pedals. I'm going to restore her back with the original Suntour pedals and crankset but keep the upgraded wheels because I gave away the original wheels with Suntour Superbe hubs. This old gal has stuck with me the past 36 years. She waited patiently for me for 25 years in the back of my garage while I got married, raised kids and played basketball and found other loves. 8-9 yrs ago my buddies all got back on the saddle and started riding again (on new carbon bikes). I looked for her and regreased all the major components, got new tires and new shoes and pedals and joined them. The rest is history - I'm into carbon bikes, single speeds, vintage bikes, mountain bikes now! This gal has been with me on rides from Santa Barbara to L.A., L.A. to San Diego and back multiple times, Rosarito Beach to Ensenada multiple times, up and down PCH, up and down the river trails in SoCal, around the Rose Bowl, around the streets in the SGV. I took a few tumbles with her, but I sacrificed my body (lots of road rash) to protect her.
I will never let her go. She waited patiently for me. If she wasn't there waiting for me I wouldn't have had a bike to ride to join my buddies, and may not have gotten back into what is probably my 1st love - bicycling!

Edit: I was unemployed and kinda down 8 years ago when I got back into cycling. I didn't have the resources to buy a new carbon bike to keep up with my friends so my Trek 760 allowed me to get back into cycling quickly. Fast forward 8 years and now I'm buying bike parts left and right, building vintage bikes to allow me to relive the 70's and 80's, when I was a teenage and young adult that loved bicycling.

Last edited by momoman; 06-09-19 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Added additional comments.
Old 06-09-19, 10:02 AM
BrewsterII

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
My daily rider, a 1985 Trek 400.

Old 06-10-19, 05:30 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
I've passed on a few in the past, but this time figured why not. 1982 412. Went off of a non-drive side photo and paid $125. Surprised to see the Suntour Blue when I picked it up. Bought from original owner and he obviously took excellent care of it before storing it the last few years. After calculating the possible upgrades on the drive to get it, I talked myself into leaving it alone on the way home. It probably deserves to stay original - or put back in a freezer bag. This bike is why I will never buy something with bad paint. You shouldn't have to. I counted 3 chips to fix. New tires and tape and she'll be all set. The crappy lighting and pics don't do this one justice.

Last edited by sdn40; 06-10-19 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 07:13 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
That bike deserves the BL group. Beautiful, nice work.
Old 06-10-19, 08:01 PM
Brockster

Bikes: 1992 Gary Fisher Montare, red. 24" Murray mtb now mini-tall bike. 26" Trek 3700.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Trek 3700

I saw Victor walking to the company I work at and he was running late and did not have a car. So I gave him my old Trek so he now has a way to get to work without walking 40 minutes one way.
Likes For Brockster:
Old 06-10-19, 08:03 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,492 Times in 1,190 Posts
Old 06-10-19, 08:15 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
I'm not a Trek guy , maybe some day I think they are pretty cool . I ran across this while looking for a Centurion . Looks racer type , higher up the scale , 56cm ? Decent price ?

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...892643148.html

Old 06-10-19, 08:28 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
^^^^^^^^ In the Dictionary of American Expressions, there should be a photo of that ^^^^^^ frame in the margin next to the entry for "Rode hard and put away wet". I'd like a hit of whatever that seller is smoking. We've picked up complete or near complete all-531 Treks from that era, in MUCH better shape, for half that.

Shatters the illusion that we midwesterners have, that things don't rust in So-Cal.....
Old 06-10-19, 08:55 PM
Hobbiano 

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
It's an '85 470, which is basicly a 460 with Shimano 600. Tru-Temper tubing I think. Low-mid level on the scale. Priced kind of high unless the paint was near perfect.
Old 06-10-19, 10:44 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

A lot to tall people with beautiful blue Treks recently!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.