Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Utrecht’s Vredenburg is the busiest cycle path in all of the Netherlands

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Utrecht’s Vredenburg is the busiest cycle path in all of the Netherlands

Old 06-05-19, 10:25 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Because it's cheaper and healthier than driving, and doesn't take too much time if you live close enough to work.
I question my life decisions when I start doing things I don't like. So, I just don't do them. This includes commuting by car.
Old 06-05-19, 10:37 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
I don't like or dislike bike commuting. I like saving money, and I like listening to my podcasts. A quantum of exercise is a side benefit for me. A quantum less environmental impact is a side benefit for the rest of you. You're welcome.

I certainly never cycle on the road for recreation. That's what mountain bikes and trails are for.
Old 06-05-19, 10:42 AM
acidfast7
Banned

I don't like or dislike bike commuting. I like saving money, and I like listening to my podcasts. A quantum of exercise is a side benefit for me. A quantum less environmental impact is a side benefit for the rest of you. You're welcome.

I certainly never cycle on the road for recreation. That's what mountain bikes and trails are for.
I guess I'm in a different position, where I choose to cycle in because I enjoy it.

I can walk within 30 mins (£3-6).
I can take a train for a reasonable cost (£4).
I can take a bus for a reasonable cost (£3).
I can cycle commute (free).
I can über/taxi in (£3).
I can drive in (free).
I can run in (£3) but would rather run along the sea before the workday starts.

I do like saving money, hence my long-term BSO thread.

I do like doing well for the environment as I enjoy it every day.

I usually just do what I like, or else why do it? Hence by initial post.
Old 06-05-19, 11:01 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I question my life decisions when I start doing things I don't like. So, I just don't do them. This includes commuting by car.
You aren’t alone. But sometimes you have to do things you don’t like. I commute by bicycle because I do like it..even in snow and cold weather. It beats fighting traffic. That said, the density of people like those in the video would make the ride a lot less pleasant. It’s the same as fighting car traffic except with less predictable (and perhaps dumber) people.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-05-19, 11:07 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
I guess I'm in a different position
Not surprising, we're different people living different lives.

I can walk within 30 mins (£3-6).
I can take a train for a reasonable cost (£4).
I can take a bus for a reasonable cost (£3).
I can cycle commute (free).
I can über/taxi in (£3).
I can drive in (free).
I can run in (£3) but would rather run along the sea before the workday starts.
How do you figure driving is free but walking/running is not?
Old 06-05-19, 11:10 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Not surprising, we're different people living different lives.
I was attempting to be friendly.

How do you figure driving is free but walking/running is not?
My lack of resistance to coffee (to work) / beer (to home).
Old 06-05-19, 11:31 AM
nuxx 

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac SL6, Custom Carbon Flatbar, Giant XTC Composite 29er, Trek FX 7.6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
I raise you the busiest in the world (40k/daily): https://vimeo.com/141516172 ...it’s actually on my daily commute!
Old 06-05-19, 11:43 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by nuxx
I raise you the busiest in the world (40k/daily): https://vimeo.com/141516172 ...it’s actually on my daily commute!
And that's a much nicer location!
Old 06-05-19, 11:54 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
They must not measure bike commuters in China. They probably have 40K an hour.

https://images.app.goo.gl/T2Tv6a84Td5tWgcK6
Old 06-05-19, 12:47 PM
nuxx 

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac SL6, Custom Carbon Flatbar, Giant XTC Composite 29er, Trek FX 7.6

Originally Posted by alan s
They must not measure bike commuters in China. They probably have 40K an hour.

https://images.app.goo.gl/T2Tv6a84Td5tWgcK6
Pretty sure that’s an appropriated car lane though? They also have substantial 2-wheel motor traffic mingled in with resulting high accident rates... so... hardly commendable
Old 06-05-19, 03:29 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Makes me appreciate that I don’t have quite so many bikes on my commute route. Of course, I ride on mixed use trails that aren’t very wide and probably encounter 100 oncoming bikes at fairly high speed every day during high season, which is really unpleasant. And don’t get me started on the damn scooters strewn about. Or the damn dog walkers. Or the side by side peds who are apparently oblivious to anything going on around them. Or the people who can’t ride faster than 10 mph. Or the joggers with earplugs so they don’t hear anything, including my bell. Can’t wait for winter.
Scooters. Hilarious!

Likes For alan s:
Old 06-05-19, 04:26 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Scooters. Hilarious!
That was pretty awesome. Thanks for that. Sums it up perfectly...
Old 06-05-19, 04:36 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Scooters. Hilarious!

https://youtu.be/ny14qUNvjVg
This was filmed in Austin, Tx. Plenty of scooters, here.
Old 06-05-19, 04:38 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by AusTexMurf
This was filmed in Austin, Tx. Plenty of scooters, here.
I can only imagine. The best part was the bit about unnecessary weaving around, which also seems to afflict the doughnuts riding the electric skateboards.
Old 06-05-19, 06:19 PM
nuxx 

Originally Posted by furiousferret
I'd love to ride in the Netherlands or Denmark, but imo those crowds may take some of the allure of bike commuting away.
I really disliked (and was disappointed with) biking in Amsterdam... trekking across the Netherlands was alright but not really indicative - didn’t experience Utrecht - but it’s basically a large village so not really an applicable model for large scale commuting.

I am however enormously thankful/grateful daily whenever I commute by bike anywhere in my hometown of Copenhagen... and is one of the main reasons I’ll have difficulty thriving anywhere else - and that abstinence from biking was a large part of being miserable while living in Vancouver.
Likes For nuxx:
Old 06-06-19, 01:44 AM
acidfast7
Banned

I really disliked (and was disappointed with) biking in Amsterdam... trekking across the Netherlands was alright but not really indicative - didn’t experience Utrecht - but it’s basically a large village so not really an applicable model for large scale commuting.

I am however enormously thankful/grateful daily whenever I commute by bike anywhere in my hometown of Copenhagen... and is one of the main reasons I’ll have difficulty thriving anywhere else - and that abstinence from biking was a large part of being miserable while living in Vancouver.
I do miss living in CPH. Danish is hard though.

Utrecht is essentially a university town and not a capital city. I was quite sad to see scooters/moped in use in the bike lanes in AMS. That **** gets shut down in Germany straight away. Also never saw it in CPH.

The UK is a mess, however everyone is quite friendly and bike-aware, even moreso than CPH/Germany.

Getting out of the city for midsommer?

We're headed to a house in Lille Sverige (of all placenames!) in Hillerød.
Old 06-06-19, 02:07 AM
acidfast7
Banned

I also think there is an important distinction being missed by many posters in this thread.

That's being a tourist and cycling around and living there and actually commuting with such infrastructure. These are totally different.

There are a lot of commenters saying that it's not nirvana and it's too busy. When I first moved to Stockholm, then Copenhagen, I would have agreed. However, after a few weeks. It makes a huge amount of sense. A quick handdrop and I get on/off the cycleways and do all my shopping. It's actually super nice.

Coming from commuting in Maine and Texas where it's a barren wasteland for commuting (with the exception of Austin), it's bliss and it makes a huge amount of sense.

However, I can appreciate that Midwesterners here stating that it's too hectic in those videos. I think they'd get used to if they gave it a shot in earnest or actually needed it to commute on a day-in/day-out basis. Thus, I can't really hold it against the people in thread without the proper experience.

CPH is still by far my favourite place to live/commute. Frankfurt was a good second option though. And, contrary to what's stated in the thread, enforcement is quite serious (especially in Germany) and people don't **** around in general.
Old 06-06-19, 03:13 AM
nuxx 

Danish is hard though.
...yes - I'm sorry about that >_<

The UK is a mess, however everyone is quite friendly and bike-aware, even moreso than CPH/Germany.
I'm a little surprised at UK'ers being more "bike-aware" than people in CPH? You can't really survive CPH without being attuned to cycling, there's more bikes than people! I often work from London - where biking seemingly remains largely an extreme sport.

Getting out of the city for midsommer?
Taking a little trip with the girlfriend to Flensburg south of the German border in July... I reeeaally hope our new rack+panniers arrive in time: https://www.tailfin.cc/products/x-se...ges-by-tailfin

We're headed to a house in Lille Sverige (of all placenames!) in Hillerød.
There's some wonderful MTB trails in the two adjacent forests (Tokkekøb Hegn and Dyrehaven)... I should get back there sometime... I actually picked up a pair of Cosmic Pro wheels from a biking- enthusiast couple who live more or less exactly where you're headed - any affiliation?

There are a lot of commenters saying that it's not nirvana and it's too busy. When I first moved to Stockholm, then Copenhagen, I would have agreed. However, after a few weeks. It makes a huge amount of sense. A quick handdrop and I get on/off the cycleways and do all my shopping. It's actually super nice.

I reckon you're right it takes a bit of a mental adjustment - if you're used to being a unicorn cyclist - only sharing the road with a few select other idealists (and a whole bunch of cars)... suddenly being engulfed in an absolute ubiquity of comme-il-faut biking culture... it both challenges your identity as a cyclist ...because there's absolutely nothing "special" about that at all in that setting... there's literally more cyclists than cars in Copenhagen... and the contrast inevitably makes everything feel crowded as you suggest... but once you get accustomed to the general infrastructure... dedicated traffic lights giving cyclists head starts over cars... public bike pumps every few 100 meters and not least the unquestioned right-of-road being the socially preferred traffic compared to motorists... I think it's hard not to appreciate how much quality of life that yields - and to be fair - the bike paths here are generally nowhere nearly as congested on average as these videos indicate. I easily commute at +30kmph on my carbon flatbar straight through the city centre (including that bridge from the video).
Old 06-06-19, 03:21 AM
acidfast7
Banned

...yes - I'm sorry about that >_<

I'm a little surprised at UK'ers being more "bike-aware" than people in CPH? You can't really survive CPH without being attuned to cycling, there's more bikes than people! I often work from London - where biking seemingly remains largely an extreme sport.

Taking a little trip with the girlfriend to Flensburg south of the German border in July... I reeeaally hope our new rack+panniers arrive in time: https://www.tailfin.cc/products/x-se...ges-by-tailfin

There's some wonderful MTB trails in the two adjacent forests (Tokkekøb Hegn and Dyrehaven)... I should get back there sometime... I actually picked up a pair of Cosmic Pro wheels from a biking- enthusiast couple who live more or less exactly where you're headed - any affiliation?

I reckon you're right it takes a bit of a mental adjustment - if you're used to being a unicorn cyclist - only sharing the road with a few select other idealists (and a whole bunch of cars)... suddenly being engulfed in an absolute ubiquity of comme-il-faut biking culture... it both challenges your identity as a cyclist ...because there's absolutely nothing "special" about that at all in that setting... there's literally more cyclists than cars in Copenhagen... and the contrast inevitably makes everything feel crowded as you suggest... but once you get accustomed to the general infrastructure... dedicated traffic lights giving cyclists head starts over cars... public bike pumps every few 100 meters and not least the unquestioned right-of-road being the socially preferred traffic compared to motorists... I think it's hard not to appreciate how much quality of life that yields - and to be fair - the bike paths here are generally nowhere nearly as congested on average as these videos indicate. I easily commute at +30kmph on my carbon flatbar straight through the city centre (including that bridge from the video).
Hi man!

Reading / writing is somewhat easy with German / Swedish knowledge. Speaking is entire different. Even saying Købnhavn didn't make sense at first! But, I got better over time.

London isn't really the UK in my opinion, it's like NYC or Tokio, which supercede their host country.

I'll be running in those forests with a dog (house sitting for 2 weeks after the party!) The couple has three children (and two cars!), so no money for wheels I would wager. Throwing that Midsommerfest will probably break the bank, I would wager!

I did get some riding in from Hillerød to city center and that new "cycle superhighway" is great.

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.9043...7i13312!8i6656

twas about 30km from there to our flat at Gråbrødretorv.

I would wager that most posters here would rapidly adjust and learn to love it if they had the option to work/live there.

Enjoy Flensburg (and don't get any points )
Old 06-06-19, 08:04 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5989 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts

Utrecht is essentially a university town and not a capital city. I was quite sad to see scooters/moped in use in the bike lanes in AMS. That **** gets shut down in Germany straight away. Also never saw it in CPH.
Not really. Utrecht is a 400K city in 650K agglomeration. It has been the capital twice. Universities have been in mostly in the big cities for ages, that doesn't make them university towns.

The scooters have been banned from the bikelanes, and now have to join the cars, with a helmet. It was introduced about two months ago but enforcement has only started this week. It doesn't go down very well. The main problem was a certain age group on (illegally) tuned scooters, the mopeds already had to ride with the cars with a helmet on. The idea to have the low power scooters on the bike lane wasn't that bad, it just got out of hand. Now the people on scooters that still have the intented speed have to ride between cars, also where the max speed isn't 30 km/h but 50 km/h. I guess they should have lowered the max speed at the same time. But we'll see.

Originally Posted by 2_i
When riding in Amsterdam as a tourist I found navigating the bike paths a challenge. The traffic is so dense that you have to plan ahead when you want to change lane. When you slow down you risk irritating someone from behind or worse. If you need to stop because you lost your way or something, you need to look for some niche where you will not risk getting run over and sometimes you miscalculate because there is some other stream of traffic there that you did not anticipate. If you are slow when lights change from red to green, you disturb traffic. Obviously locals are all well versed in this but an outsider has trouble adjusting.
They have had years of practice, also if they're from the countryside. It's not ruled by formal rules (cycling side by side is allowed btw @cyccommute), it's more like swarm behaviour and overthinking it doesn't help.

I watched it trying to find helmets. There's a helmeted baby at 1:19, and at 0:14 and 1:37 they could be helmets or they could be white hair, hard to tell.
It would be a bit rude wouldn't it. People cycling with little kids and all and then someone shows up dressed to crash, makes them wonder what he is up to.
Old 06-06-19, 08:10 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by Stadjer
Not really. Utrecht is a 400K city in 650K agglomeration. It has been the capital twice. Universities have been in mostly in the big cities for ages, that doesn't make them university towns.

The scooters have been banned from the bikelanes, and now have to join the cars, with a helmet. It was introduced about two months ago but enforcement has only started this week. It doesn't go down very well. The main problem was a certain age group on (illegally) tuned scooters, the mopeds already had to ride with the cars with a helmet on. The idea to have the low power scooters on the bike lane wasn't that bad, it just got out of hand. Now the people on scooters that still have the intented speed have to ride between cars, also where the max speed isn't 30 km/h but 50 km/h. I guess they should have lowered the max speed at the same time. But we'll see.

Sorry, that was a generalisation. Probably not a good one either. In the end, I feel like Utrecht doesn't have the tourist pull of AMS. (To be honest, I actually hate AMS due to the tourists but end up going occasionally.) I have some collaborators at UU in biophysics, which is extremely strong. I like the city quite a bit but it doesn't have that capital feel, which is nice in some ways and not nice in others.

I was blown away to see scooters on the bike lanes after living in CPH where I never saw that. (Maybe that has changed since I left.)

Glad to hear that enforcement is starting.
Old 06-06-19, 08:17 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
A quick handdrop and I get on/off the cycleways and do all my shopping. It's actually super nice.
What is a "handdrop"?
Old 06-06-19, 08:18 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
You're beginning to sound like an embittered old man.

You should enjoy cycling or else why do it?!?!?

Same for you.

If you want to hermit, a major European city isn't the way.
High volume traffic is high volume traffic, no matter if on foot, on bicycle, or in a car.

Decades of experiencing high volume traffic certainly can make one a bitter old man. Travelling amongst hordes of people for the last 30+ years has made me a bitter middle aged man.
Old 06-06-19, 08:22 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What is a "handdrop"?
Drop the hand from the bar to signal that you're going to turn. Sometimes with a point if there is no turning bikelane or fast/slow bike lane divide.
Old 06-06-19, 08:25 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by FiftySix
High volume traffic is high volume traffic, no matter if on foot, on bicycle, or in a car.

Decades of experiencing high volume traffic certainly can make one a bitter old man. Travelling amongst hordes of people for the last 30+ years has made me a bitter middle aged man.
Disagree. In a car and on a motorway one can't stop.

On foot or on a bike one is in control of one's destiny even in the London tube.

One can get out by just standing next to the wall as the trains come every 90 sec, which is unbelievable really.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.