Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs
Reload this Page >

Need help deciding on new bike (Disabled, 3 wheel + basket model)

Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-19, 07:43 PM
Grey_Lady333

Bikes: Exercise bike lol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi there!

So I'm fairly new to this 'bike' thing at 38 years young. Never could buy one as a kid, and I've spent most of adult life bed ridden. Long story lol. After a lot of work, I've left the bed behind, but I still can't drive. So I've been learning about bikes. I've been building my strength on an exercise bike for the last year now, and I'm ready to take the next step and buy a bike. And I'm terrified lol.

I've been looking bikes from Walmart, as my brother gave me a 200$ gift card to there for buying a bike as a birthday present. I CAN spend more than that, but budget is a factor. I'd link to them, but I apparently can't do that yet, as the form was kind enough to tell me lol.

So the the bikes I'm looking at are three wheeled and have a basket (Which is why I wasn't sure WHICH forum to post in) and fits the budget, but I worry about height and weight. I'm 6'3" (or 75 inches, roughly) and currently 260 pounds, even if I am losing weight. Which puts me right at the edge for height (26 inch wheels) and weight (264) for most every bike I've looked at it. Walmart has a listing for similar bikes in every color, with different makers (Schwinn, Bestequip, costway, and more) with little variance in the wheel/weight department. Yet the price varies wildly in the 200-400$ range.

I WANT to like these bikes. I want to believe I can find a bike like this in my price range, and everything will work out as I hope. Yet logically I know I'm pushing my luck with the height and weight. I'd like to ask those here with more experience than I for a more objective viewpoint. Am I right to be worried, or am I worrying over nothing? Any advice you folks could give would be a huge help.

Thank you for your time.
Likes For Grey_Lady333:
Old 06-07-19, 07:51 PM
insignia100

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 47 Posts
My best recommendation, unfortunately, falls out of your budget. I personally believe Walmart bikes are a waste of money, and would rather see you save that $200 (use it for normal expenses while saving up) and buy something that will actually function well enough that you'll want to ride. I might recommend a recumbent trike over an adult tricycle. Not only will they be more comfortable, but they are generally better made. If you're lucky you can even find one used for under $1000 (and I promise, it is well worth the investment).
Likes For insignia100:
Old 06-07-19, 07:59 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I am moving this from "General" to a forum that may be of more help.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-07-19, 08:22 PM
Grey_Lady333

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by insignia100
My best recommendation, unfortunately, falls out of your budget. I personally believe Walmart bikes are a waste of money, and would rather see you save that $200 (use it for normal expenses while saving up) and buy something that will actually function well enough that you'll want to ride. I might recommend a recumbent trike over an adult tricycle. Not only will they be more comfortable, but they are generally better made. If you're lucky you can even find one used for under $1000 (and I promise, it is well worth the investment).
Ouch. I'm sure a 1,000$ bike would be amazing, but that is so far out of my price range it might as well be a million. It's not even realistic with my income, I'm afraid.
Likes For Grey_Lady333:
Old 06-07-19, 08:44 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I suggest putting your general location in your profile. It may prove helpful if other posters know of useful info specific to your area.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-07-19, 08:58 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
There are folks here who fix up and donate used bikes for those in need. Often times a used bike in good working order will give you much more bang for your buck.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-08-19, 06:20 AM
Grey_Lady333

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I added my location (Boston, MA) though maybe I'm being skeptical, but I'd be shocked if someone just happened to be selling a bike in my area, that just happened to have 3+ wheels to compensate for my poor balance, and just happened to have a basket / storage so I could do some grocery shopping with it, and just happened to be the right size for my height and weight. That's an awfully tall order. I figured it was a long shot just to find someone on here who used similar bikes, nevermind selling one.
Old 06-08-19, 08:02 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
I can’t imagine 260 pounds being an issue, especially on a 3 wheeler. You’ve got an extra wheel to help handle the weight. As a point of reference there are many, many 250 pound or heavier riders on bicycles...and riding them fast/hard. Additionally, you simply are not going to be riding as fast on a trike, so there will be less stress on the bike.

A bike you can afford is better than no bike. I’m not sure why someone would recommend a bike at 5x your stated target price. My advise would be to jump in and get one. If it doesn’t work for you, being Walmart, you can always return it. You might find that, being a Walmart bike, it isn’t put together or adjusted exactly right. If so, a local bike store or bike mechanic can always tune it up.

I say say go for it!

-Matt
Old 06-08-19, 09:25 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Grey_Lady333
Well, I added my location (Boston, MA) though maybe I'm being skeptical, but I'd be shocked if someone just happened to be selling a bike in my area, that just happened to have 3+ wheels to compensate for my poor balance, and just happened to have a basket / storage so I could do some grocery shopping with it, and just happened to be the right size for my height and weight. That's an awfully tall order. I figured it was a long shot just to find someone on here who used similar bikes, nevermind selling one.
You are probably right. But what Boston does have is a lot of bike co-ops and other organizations that could help you out in many different ways.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-08-19, 09:41 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I looked at the Boston CL and saw that there is nothing that I would ever recommend buying. The problem with most adult trikes (aside from the expensive recumbent trikes) is the weight of the trike. Some are as heavy as 75 pounds and few are below 50 pounds. Add that to your own weight and it is not going to be an easy pedal. In addition the least expensive trikes are one speed. If you want something worth pedaling it should have at least 7 speeds so you can find a comfortable cadence for the speed you are riding at. Even there, nearly all were over $200.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 06-08-19, 11:09 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
First off----Congratulations on getting out of bed. I find it hard to do every day .... to finally get up after decades is a Huge accomplishment.

Second, congratulations for choosing a pedal-powered vehicle for added mobility. This puts you among the most elite of the human race.

I agree with a lot of what people here have posted.

First, your weight is not an issue. Good trikes are made to haul the groceries .... they can support a lot of weight simply because they divide it up more than a bicycle. Second, you will want at least three, better sever speeds, and better still, more. Not all of Massachusetts is hilly ... just all the parts I have visited. I guess Cape Cod is pretty flat.

And also .... you don't need to spend a ton of money, but you will Not save money by buying cheap. If you buy a low-quality trike, you face three problems---one, it will break easily and probably be expensive to repair (a lot of Walmart bikes have plastic or cheap stamped-metal parts which cannot be replaced---no one bothers to make a $50 part for a $150 bike, just get a new one.) Second, the thing might not work that well .... if you get the thing home and find you cannot ride up the hill in front of your house, it gets converted into garage furniture and sold at a yard sale in three years. Then, if it was badly assembled and insufficiently lubricated, you could burn out a bearing and be stuck somewhere.

And if ti is a chore to ride and you are always worrying that it makes weird sounds and seems not to be well-made ... all the potential joy of riding leaches away.

If you want to try a cheap trike just to see what it is about, go ahead. If you do, understand that riding a much better trike might be a much more enjoyable experience .... but at least on flat roads, you will get a taste of cycling.

(I would recommend reading this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...ease-kind.html)

The best bet is to save money ... and to go online and look at every three-wheeled bike on the market. Get an idea what is out there and what they sell for. Then decide how much you want to invest---and it is an Investment.

Don;'t think of it as a "purchase." Just as with any big-ticket item, you are looking to reap rewards and benefits over a very long product life-span---a good bike can outlast a human. When you look a a $700 trike, think "Two pennies per day for a year, a penny a day for two years ... basically free after ten years, because the sheer joy of riding it will more than balance the cost."

On the other hand, the broken trike parked in the garage provides only negative return on investment.

But hey .... maybe for you, a Walmart trike will be sufficient. I don't know your needs nor your neighborhood. Maybe a one-speed trike will work for you. And if nothing else it will get you out and about, in however limited a fashion.

But don't worry about weight limits. I am about your size---a little shorter, a little stouter---and I have been riding wheels and such rated for lighter riders for years with no ill effects. Those "weight limits" are deliberately conservative because the manufacturers expect users to exceed them, and are mostly there so if a person gets Really stupid (lime trying to put 500 pounds in the basket or something) the manufacturer isn't liable.

Budget will be an issue, Weight is not.

And if there is one thing people here can agree on (and that is uncertain, ) it might be that riding anything is better than riding nothing. Cycling is fun and if you feel the urge, you should do it.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 06-09-19, 07:22 PM
Grey_Lady333

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hm. I'm not sure what to make of this. I mean, on one hand, it's good to know that I should look for a 7 speed recumbent bike.... but I've yet to find any 7 speed, recumbent bikes with storage space. Getting to the store does me no good if I can't get the groceries and such home. So in trying to listen to the advice here, does anyone know a single bike that meets these high standards? I don't mean to be difficult, but I'm not finding anything on google, amazon, nothing.

As to budget.... my wife spent 200$ on her last car, buying it from family. Before that, we had a used car that was 2,000$, which was the most expensive thing we've ever bought, and we had to use all the money/gifts from our wedding to make said purchase. With our medical bills, we have thousands in debt, and our bank account hasn't been over 1,000$ in years. I could sell the walmart gift card to my mother for cash to go someplace else, but I couldn't spend 500$ on a bike even if I wanted to. So yea. If the so called 'cheap' bikes of 200$ in my price range are as terrible as people say, I may have to just give up on biking altogether.
Likes For Grey_Lady333:
Old 06-10-19, 01:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Big problem with Walmart is they may not hire anyone who even manages to get the bike together right..

and then you have to find a proper bike shop to straighten out their malassembly..

and no service after the sale , other than getting a refund..
Old 08-11-19, 09:30 PM
Grace Acebedo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello guys. I wanna get a peloton bike. Is it a good idea? What do you think?
Old 08-12-19, 02:20 PM
rebecca 1965

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there!

So I'm fairly new to this 'bike' thing at 38 years young. Never could buy one as a kid, and I've spent most of adult life bed ridden. Long story lol. After a lot of work, I've left the bed behind, but I still can't drive. So I've been learning about bikes. I've been building my strength on an exercise bike for the last year now, and I'm ready to take the next step and buy a bike. And I'm terrified lol.

I've been looking bikes from Walmart, as my brother gave me a 200$ gift card to there for buying a bike as a birthday present. I CAN spend more than that, but budget is a factor. I'd link to them, but I apparently can't do that yet, as the form was kind enough to tell me lol.

So the the bikes I'm looking at are three wheeled and have a basket (Which is why I wasn't sure WHICH forum to post in) and fits the budget, but I worry about height and weight. I'm 6'3" (or 75 inches, roughly) and currently 260 pounds, even if I am losing weight. Which puts me right at the edge for height (26 inch wheels) and weight (264) for most every bike I've looked at it. Walmart has a listing for similar bikes in every color, with different makers (Schwinn, Bestequip, costway, and more) with little variance in the wheel/weight department. Yet the price varies wildly in the 200-400$ range.

I WANT to like these bikes. I want to believe I can find a bike like this in my price range, and everything will work out as I hope. Yet logically I know I'm pushing my luck with the height and weight. I'd like to ask those here with more experience than I for a more objective viewpoint. Am I right to be worried, or am I worrying over nothing? Any advice you folks could give would be a huge help.

Thank you for your time.
Hi! Congratulations! Getting out of that bed must feel amazing! I am 53 and just starting to ride again myself. I have a MASSIVE Hernia, I was afraid as well. I started out trying regular bikes in cruiser styles. No luck my belly got in the way as well as I could not balance myself. I now have a Vintage BEEKAY 3 wheeler . I am able to use this bike, thanks, God! I am new on here so I can not post a picture. You need to try a bike before buying it. I have found if you search, small towns, People are practically giving these bikes away. I would try that first. Your hight should not be a problem but make sure you can raise the handlebars if needed, as well as the seat.
Old 08-12-19, 02:21 PM
rebecca 1965

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ouch. I'm sure a 1,000$ bike would be amazing, but that is so far out of my price range it might as well be a million. It's not even realistic with my income, I'm afraid.
Hi please read my other post please!
Old 08-12-19, 02:32 PM
rebecca 1965

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hm. I'm not sure what to make of this. I mean, on one hand, it's good to know that I should look for a 7 speed recumbent bike.... but I've yet to find any 7 speed, recumbent bikes with storage space. Getting to the store does me no good if I can't get the groceries and such home. So in trying to listen to the advice here, does anyone know a single bike that meets these high standards? I don't mean to be difficult, but I'm not finding anything on google, amazon, nothing.

As to budget.... my wife spent 200$ on her last car, buying it from family. Before that, we had a used car that was 2,000$, which was the most expensive thing we've ever bought, and we had to use all the money/gifts from our wedding to make said purchase. With our medical bills, we have thousands in debt, and our bank account hasn't been over 1,000$ in years. I could sell the walmart gift card to my mother for cash to go someplace else, but I couldn't spend 500$ on a bike even if I wanted to. So yea. If the so called 'cheap' bikes of 200$ in my price range are as terrible as people say, I may have to just give up on biking altogether.
Try used bike shops. I had to pay someone 80.00 to drive me 6 hours there and back out of my city Etobicoke .I ended up paying 125.00 for my bike after I haggled a bit .Try looking on Kijiji & Facebook Market Place or Yard sales . I think all the bikes go on sale in the fall. If you want to tell me where your city or Town is I can look for you I do research for a living Lolll.Rebecca