Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Pics of your "alt bike(s)"?

Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Pics of your "alt bike(s)"?

Old 02-25-16, 09:36 AM
  #1076  
Philphine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Philphine View Post



wanting to move up to a 24x4 wheel on this, so it's on hold 'til i can buy it.
this bike has sit about at this point since i made the original post in '09. even before since i couldn't post pics at the time i first started it. even though choppers aren't really a thing any more, i'm finally getting back to it.

i couldn't talk myself into getting the rear wheel i needed built, but thanks to mongoose making a 24" fat bike (and fat hitchiker for getting me the purchase info), i got the rear wheel i put this on hold for.



now the wheels look more proportional to the frame (also went from 24 to 26 up front and may try a 29" wheel or 26x3 tire). i'm a little further along than this, but not finished ( any progress is on freakbike forum). i need to find or make a seat. i want something like a king/queen seat, but with just a "king" section with a crazy long sissy bar/back rest.

better late than never...

Last edited by Philphine; 02-25-16 at 09:40 AM.
Philphine is offline  
Likes For Philphine:
Old 07-05-16, 08:33 AM
  #1077  
Philphine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
another pulled from the depths of the garage





like the chopper, the idea would come, then fade 'til I came up with an idea to progress. in both cases I'm trying to make myself finish some old projects before I start new ones.


I call it the nincom(poop), because I was inspired by the nocom(promise) low racer I knew there was no way I could actually copy, but figured it would be fun to try anyway.


the build is on freakbike, but in this last burst of inspiration (or insanity. you choose) I added 3" to the wheelbase behind the seat to angle the seat back a little more, switched to a 16" wheel in front, and worked out a head rest





because it sits so low I don't even ride it around in my neighborhood (the drivers will about run you over on a regular bike), so it's only been test ridden back in an industrial park type area near my house on weekends. I also only have the front brake hooked up for testing and no gears connected. seems like it'll ride ok, but I guess i'll need longer rides to know for sure. I think the main building is done. just need some cable guides, some small odds and ends and talk myself into painting it.
Philphine is offline  
Old 07-26-16, 08:37 AM
  #1078  
johnnyboy22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


This one is one of my favourite "Stealth" bikes.
johnnyboy22 is offline  
Old 08-26-16, 01:57 AM
  #1079  
Robin_23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Purchasing a bike can be a test! This is especially the case for ladies as the undeniable physical contrasts amongst ladies and men can make it hard for ladies to locate the perfect bicycle for them or the right fit in a male ruled bicycle world.
Purchasing a ladies' bicycle is unquestionably not as clear as purchasing a men's bicycle. This is to a great extent since bicycle makers have just as of late woken up to the way that men are not by any means the only individuals who cycle.
We've addressed the specialists at Cyclefit and, in counsel with some of GGB's female companions, we have made the accompanying aide of what to search for in a lady's bicycle and helpful pointers on ladies' bicycle estimating. We trust it's useful.
For more details, please visit the below link:Best Mountain Bikes Under 500 - Reviews 2016
Robin_23 is offline  
Old 01-06-17, 11:10 AM
  #1080  
Fastfingaz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Philphine View Post
this bike has sit about at this point since i made the original post in '09. even before since i couldn't post pics at the time i first started it. even though choppers aren't really a thing any more, i'm finally getting back to it.

i couldn't talk myself into getting the rear wheel i needed built, but thanks to mongoose making a 24" fat bike (and fat hitchiker for getting me the purchase info), i got the rear wheel i put this on hold for.



now the wheels look more proportional to the frame (also went from 24 to 26 up front and may try a 29" wheel or 26x3 tire). i'm a little further along than this, but not finished ( any progress is on freakbike forum). i need to find or make a seat. i want something like a king/queen seat, but with just a "king" section with a crazy long sissy bar/back rest.

better late than never...
,,, now this creation I like and have the frames to build something similar,,,,,,
Fastfingaz is offline  
Old 01-06-17, 11:16 AM
  #1081  
Fastfingaz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Philphine View Post
another pulled from the depths of the garage





like the chopper, the idea would come, then fade 'til I came up with an idea to progress. in both cases I'm trying to make myself finish some old projects before I start new ones.


I call it the nincom(poop), because I was inspired by the nocom(promise) low racer I knew there was no way I could actually copy, but figured it would be fun to try anyway.


the build is on freakbike, but in this last burst of inspiration (or insanity. you choose) I added 3" to the wheelbase behind the seat to angle the seat back a little more, switched to a 16" wheel in front, and worked out a head rest





because it sits so low I don't even ride it around in my neighborhood (the drivers will about run you over on a regular bike), so it's only been test ridden back in an industrial park type area near my house on weekends. I also only have the front brake hooked up for testing and no gears connected. seems like it'll ride ok, but I guess i'll need longer rides to know for sure. I think the main building is done. just need some cable guides, some small odds and ends and talk myself into painting it.
Not a fan of any recumbent can't see myself in that posture and the other obvious reason you pointed out ,,, nevertheless good work and very interesting,,,,,,,
Fastfingaz is offline  
Old 01-18-17, 07:23 PM
  #1082  
cogzoid
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm relatively new to the Bike Forums, but thought I'd share my creation I'm most proud of.

A Moveable Feast
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
AMF-Ciclavia.jpg (99.0 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg
AMF-VeniceTday2.jpg (93.6 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg
AMF-HighlandPark.jpg (94.1 KB, 327 views)
cogzoid is offline  
Likes For cogzoid:
Old 01-23-17, 09:19 AM
  #1083  
Philphine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
way past my skills. is the other thing you're looking for a sprocket for something like this?
Philphine is offline  
Old 01-23-17, 04:12 PM
  #1084  
cogzoid
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Kind of... it'll be a stationary bar that everyone can contribute to the spinning of different kinetic sculptures and perhaps some other bar related appliances. The idea is changing and evolving as we discuss how it will fit into the space. But, the design in my head is really magical.
cogzoid is offline  
Old 01-24-17, 09:24 AM
  #1085  
Philphine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cogzoid View Post
Kind of... it'll be a stationary bar that everyone can contribute to the spinning of different kinetic sculptures and perhaps some other bar related appliances. The idea is changing and evolving as we discuss how it will fit into the space. But, the design in my head is really magical.


hmmm... like a crazy lazy susan. hope you post a pic if you pull it off.
Philphine is offline  
Old 04-12-17, 06:16 AM
  #1086  
sandmanred
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just for fun

Had an old mountain bike hanging in the garage that I had to try something with. Re-used the head tube, neck, fork, wheels, brakes and rear shift mechanism.
IMG_0123.jpg
sandmanred is offline  
Old 04-13-17, 09:09 AM
  #1087  
Philphine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sandmanred View Post

that's the stuff. did you make the handlebars or did you find some with that much reach? where from if you don't mind? also, if you can find or make a comfortable backrest, it's much better for pushing up hills and trying to accelerate.
Philphine is offline  
Old 04-13-17, 04:23 PM
  #1088  
sandmanred
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Philphine View Post
that's the stuff. did you make the handlebars or did you find some with that much reach? where from if you don't mind? also, if you can find or make a comfortable backrest, it's much better for pushing up hills and trying to accelerate.
Thanks!

Made the bars, I couldn't find any that reached that far or went that wide.

And for seat that's the next project. You're right, you need something to push against. I'm thinking a scoop shape like a narrow version of an old fashioned tractor seat that supports my lower back to about the belt line or a bit above.
sandmanred is offline  
Old 04-14-17, 09:10 AM
  #1089  
Philphine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sandmanred View Post
And for seat that's the next project. You're right, you need something to push against. I'm thinking a scoop shape like a narrow version of an old fashioned tractor seat that supports my lower back to about the belt line or a bit above.

I try to keep an eye out at thrift stores, flea markets, etc. for exercise bikes that have the big seat on them. if the pan is metal, you can weld like a lip to the back similar to what you're describing. the problem for me though, is I'm not good at upholstery so I'd have a bare metal piece sticking out of the seat




didn't find the right pic. I could cut the seat pad and slip it over what I did, but the back would stick up bare.


I switched to taking a Schwinn chopper seat and using the little sissy bar and welding it to whatever seat I could find that it sat well on. then I just made a little round backrest for it. if you have some tubing and a bender you can make the same thing. I pulled that off once, but if I can find one made already they've been better than my tries.


but later I found nice ones on ebay type in bike seat backrest (or trike seat backrest) and some should pop up. just keep an eye out for the best deal.
Philphine is offline  
Old 04-18-17, 07:27 AM
  #1090  
sandmanred
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the pic. That looks like shape I was thinking. That provides you enough surface to push against to make a difference?
sandmanred is offline  
Old 04-19-17, 08:27 AM
  #1091  
Philphine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
yeah, it does pretty good. the seat it's self needs to be pretty good sized, or you end up sitting on the tip of the seat. upholstery might have made it worse, but like I said, I couldn't do it anyway (looking at a heavy duty sewing machine though. hope springs eternal). just keep and eye out for a good sized seat.

Last edited by Philphine; 05-09-17 at 08:41 AM.
Philphine is offline  
Old 05-08-17, 06:09 AM
  #1092  
sandmanred
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty much finished

Seat has 1/2 inch of neoprene under the vinyl. The back side comes up to almost the belt line and helps give something to push against.
IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg
sandmanred is offline  
Old 05-09-17, 08:39 AM
  #1093  
Philphine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
came out looking good. is it working well for you? how are you liking the bike overall?


I love my stretches, but I find the seat is the thing that makes or breaks the ride, since you can't stand up or put weight on the bars and relieve your butt. you have to just stop and stand up. I've even been thinking of putting some footpegs under the seat to maybe stand up and coast.
Philphine is offline  
Old 05-09-17, 07:35 PM
  #1094  
sandmanred
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only ridden a few miles but the new seat is far superior to a typical flat topped seat. There's a lot more contact area so it's pretty comfortable. Even though the std seat has a gel top the contact area is so small in the stretched out position it's not too comfortable.
sandmanred is offline  
Old 06-22-17, 10:12 AM
  #1095  
Willowshalon
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a very small bike I was told was from the 40s and is only 20 in long and 15 in tall can't find much about it any info would be app
Willowshalon is offline  
Old 06-08-19, 05:19 PM
  #1096  
Trevtassie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Down Under
Posts: 1,126

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts


Nothing over 20" My bike is a 20" frame, 26" front forks 16" rear wheel, 12" front wheel. The best bikes are old stunt BMXs with 12 or 16" wheels.

So we do this 3 or 4 times a year. From the top of Mt Wellington in Hobart, Tasmania. 15 miles of downhill, 4200ft elevation loss, anywhere from 5 to 8 pubs, ending up in the city center.
Was a slow run this time, my maximum speed was only 35mph, I've done 40 before.
Trevtassie is offline  
Old 06-08-19, 06:55 PM
  #1097  
Dynocoaster 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 3,097

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
__________________
Speed Uno
Dawes Kingpin 2speed
Dynocoaster is offline  
Old 06-09-19, 02:21 PM
  #1098  
USN
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Chattanooga,tn
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sandmanred View Post
Had an old mountain bike hanging in the garage that I had to try something with. Re-used the head tube, neck, fork, wheels, brakes and rear shift mechanism.
Attachment 559096

great build, good job
USN is offline  
Old 06-10-19, 08:38 AM
  #1099  
Philphine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post


Nothing over 20" My bike is a 20" frame, 26" front forks 16" rear wheel, 12" front wheel. The best bikes are old stunt BMXs with 12 or 16" wheels.

So we do this 3 or 4 times a year. From the top of Mt Wellington in Hobart, Tasmania. 15 miles of downhill, 4200ft elevation loss, anywhere from 5 to 8 pubs, ending up in the city center.
Was a slow run this time, my maximum speed was only 35mph, I've done 40 before.


i only rode this once. there was a side build off on rat rod bikes were we made gravity bikes. we tried to use the gravity bike rules that were around at the time, mainly about wheelbase and size. i actually made two (one used a occ chopper rear wheel), but there's no good place nearby to ride it.
Philphine is offline  
Old 06-10-19, 04:56 PM
  #1100  
Trevtassie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Down Under
Posts: 1,126

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Philphine View Post


i only rode this once. there was a side build off on rat rod bikes were we made gravity bikes. we tried to use the gravity bike rules that were around at the time, mainly about wheelbase and size. i actually made two (one used a occ chopper rear wheel), but there's no good place nearby to ride it.
Yeah, we need pedals, there's one or two pubs that are slightly uphill from the main route. Main problem we have with speed is all the cars getting in the way.
Trevtassie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.