Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Chain length and gear sizing beginner

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Chain length and gear sizing beginner

Old 06-14-19, 02:21 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
Or you’re doing a conversion on a frame that wasn’t designed specifically for the tires you want to run? maybe it’s a road frame with very short stays designed for the use of very skinny tires, maybe has no dimples on the inside of the stays? Petty common for 70s era road frames, which are very popular choices for conversion. You could easily enough say, use a different frame, but none the less, there are in fact reasons why you could have little room for adjustment and it’s not a ‘frame designed by idiots’. But you’re welcome to your foolish opinion, I guess.
Dimple the stays of a 70's road bike and you regain full use of the dropouts if you didn't have it before. Same can't be said of the aforementioned Wabi.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-14-19, 04:42 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Dimple the stays of a 70's road bike and you regain full use of the dropouts if you didn't have it before. Same can't be said of the aforementioned Wabi.
Not something most would be willing to do, and a lot of bike shops won’t do it for liability reasons. I don’t need to do that, nor am I offering such advice to do so. My point was there are in fact legitimate reasons why the full length of a dropout may not be useable. As far as wabi frames is concerned, I have no opinion, because I don’t own one.
Old 06-14-19, 05:49 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The other is an ancient road bike with 1970s Campy dropouts. I have it set up to do roughly what I am suggesting for you, but with 3 gear inch possibilities and fast gear changes. 2 minutes at hill tops and bottoms. 3 chainrings. 2 cogs on one side of the hub (21 and 17) and the usual one on the other. Each cog lines up with its respective chainring. The three gears can be 38-21 = 49", 44-17 =70" and 46-14 = 96". (59, 60 and 61 total teeth works out nicely.) (I don't recommend doing this unless you have a machine shop at you disposal and/or engineering/CAD skills and/or most of a grand to burn, but done right it is really fun!)
Oh that's an awesome idea! Got a picture?
Old 06-14-19, 06:47 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Not something most would be willing to do, and a lot of bike shops won’t do it for liability reasons. I don’t need to do that, nor am I offering such advice to do so. My point was there are in fact legitimate reasons why the full length of a dropout may not be useable. As far as wabi frames is concerned, I have no opinion, because I don’t own one.
Since when is owning something a prerequisite for having an opinion on it?
RUSA #7498
Old 06-15-19, 10:49 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Since when is owning something a prerequisite for having an opinion on it?
In this case, not owning one, means I know nothing about it, as I have no interest in knowing anything about wabi beyond what I can glean from others. Therefore it’s probably best to not speak from a point of ignorance. What you choose to do is entirely your decision. No prerequisite required, so I’m not sure how you arrived at that opinion. I just try to avoid talking out of my arse as often as possible. I don’t always manage that, but I at least try.
Old 06-15-19, 12:10 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

In this case, not owning one, means I know nothing about it, as I have no interest in knowing anything about wabi beyond what I can glean from others. Therefore it’s probably best to not speak from a point of ignorance. What you choose to do is entirely your decision. No prerequisite required, so I’m not sure how you arrived at that opinion. I just try to avoid talking out of my arse as often as possible. I don’t always manage that, but I at least try.
I thought the smiley made it clear I wasn't making a serious argument, but you do you.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-16-19, 10:36 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

I thought the smiley made it clear I wasn't making a serious argument, but you do you.
Nah mate, that smiley can be read a number of ways. Besides, if your post wasn’t serious to any degree, why bother wasting the time, when it could be misunderstood. Seems rather pointless, but you do.