Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

HRM and HRV Capabilities

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

HRM and HRV Capabilities

Old 06-14-19, 07:26 AM
dcteague

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
HRM and HRV Capabilities

I'm interested in purchasing a HRM since my watch doesn't seem to be very accurate during rides and I'd like to be able to see what is happening over time. I'm new to the sport and have been working myself up to longer rides so I'd like to see if my HRM readings improve as I get used to distances and level of effort. That said, I'm having a hard time figuring out which Wahoo can track HRV - nothing seems to show which of their models do this. Anyone have any insights? I searched but only came across discussions of Afib.
Old 06-14-19, 08:06 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Some polar products measure HRV.

The Vantage V multisport watch does orthostatic test as does the M460 cycling GPS. The M460 doesn't have maps though.

There may be other models I'm not aware of.

This is what it looks like in the Polar app.

Old 06-14-19, 09:04 AM
dcteague

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Some polar products measure HRV.

The Vantage V multisport watch does orthostatic test as does the M460 cycling GPS. The M460 doesn't have maps though.

There may be other models I'm not aware of.

This is what it looks like in the Polar app.
Thanks - I think the Polar H10 that connects with the M460 might work - was thinking I'd just connect to my Strava account and use them in combination. Is there any advantage to the M460 type device vs using Strava with a HRM for a newby rider?
Old 06-14-19, 10:07 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Well, if navigation is important to you then the M460 doesn't have maps. It does have GPS and will record your route but it won't help you navigate while on the bike. My understanding is that Strava has maps and provided the phone is mounted in a visible location, it can be a navigation tool. I could be wrong.

The M460 will do heart rate zones for training and can be set up to help you do structured workouts such as interval training.

It is also dedicated - won't wear your phone battery down. It isn't a huge device and the screen is black and white.

Maybe someone can chime in about the Whahoo. I would be running Wahoo if I wasn't so heavily invested in Polar.
Old 06-14-19, 11:00 AM
dcteague

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Well, if navigation is important to you then the M460 doesn't have maps. It does have GPS and will record your route but it won't help you navigate while on the bike. My understanding is that Strava has maps and provided the phone is mounted in a visible location, it can be a navigation tool. I could be wrong.

The M460 will do heart rate zones for training and can be set up to help you do structured workouts such as interval training.

It is also dedicated - won't wear your phone battery down. It isn't a huge device and the screen is black and white.

Maybe someone can chime in about the Whahoo. I would be running Wahoo if I wasn't so heavily invested in Polar.
I've looked at the Wahoo as well - the phone mount I have nicely mounted in the same location I'd probably put the M460, and I use google maps for navigation so I may just go that route - its cheaper and having confirmed it can track HRV if I use a separate app, it'll not tie me into a single system so much.
Old 06-16-19, 11:36 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
One problem with using HRV as a training guide is that, unless you can actually see the rhythm, the unit can't distinguish between SA variances and PACs (premature atrial contractions). I would suggest seeing a physician and getting an EKG to make sure that you don't have PACs, especially if you are an older cyclist.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 06-17-19, 09:56 AM
dcteague

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by John_V
One problem with using HRV as a training guide is that, unless you can actually see the rhythm, the unit can't distinguish between SA variances and PACs (premature atrial contractions). I would suggest seeing a physician and getting an EKG to make sure that you don't have PACs, especially if you are an older cyclist.
I wasn't really planning to use it for heart health monitoring so much as just understanding how my heart rate and variability during exercise changed vs resting. I guess if I were to see something or feel something I'd go to the doc though - hopefully that doesn't happen.