Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Who is excited for the Brompton Electric?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 06-18-19, 09:21 AM
aadhils
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post

I've read from a few US vendors like Clevercycles that they will be having the US version soon with a June/July delivery date. Cant wait!
Old 06-18-19, 09:29 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Or you can do this now, and it's a lot lighter weigh (4.5 lbs) t, can be removed completely in 10 seconds and used on any other bikes you have. Special mounts available for Brompton so you
can still use your luggage. Onemotor.co.

Likes For linberl:
Old 06-18-19, 11:46 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Or you can do this now, and it's a lot lighter weigh (4.5 lbs) t, can be removed completely in 10 seconds and used on any other bikes you have. Special mounts available for Brompton so you
can still use your luggage. Onemotor.co.

Would it interfere with the light on the Brompton? I can see that it would block it.
Old 06-18-19, 01:31 PM
linberl

I'm not sure. The inventor is a brompton owner, can't imagine he didn't think of that, I just sent him an email to ask. The unit also has it's own built in lighting system (good for being seen definitely, but not for illuminating the road).

Edited to add: Yes, it will conflict with the dynamo brompton light system. But as I mentioned, the unit has very bright configurable lights of it's own. And a rechargeable battery operated headlight works really well...and be plugged in to the USB port on the 1M battery!

Last edited by linberl; 06-18-19 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-18-19, 03:43 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
Well my conservative outlook is that when Brompton puts out something for their bike it will be at least good enough. If you combine something that is supposed to work for everything with something particular it may be OK or not quite so. Anyway everybody strategizes on their own.
Old 06-18-19, 04:01 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by 2_i
Well my conservative outlook is that when Brompton puts out something for their bike it will be at least good enough. If you combine something that is supposed to work for everything with something particular it may be OK or not quite so. Anyway everybody strategizes on their own.
I would probably agree with this if (1) the 1Motor really was generic and (2) I didn't have one now so I know how well it works. Brompton uses a generic hub system and really it's the mounting system that is particular, not the device itself.. Certainly I would want to read reviews by Brompton users if that was the bike I was going to use.....and as 1M ships out more, you'll see them. Hopefully EBR will also get a unit to review in the near future.
One big advantage I see is that the system is NOT stuck to the bike, so you can use it on multiple bikes or if you get a new bike. With Brompton's system, you are stuck with Brompton as I don't believe you can move it to any other bike. I suppose if you are sure you are never going to consider a different bike in the future......but things like Helix and other cool bikes will be developed. Who knows what lightweight fast folding speed demon is around the corner? I guess if you have lots of $ you can buy different systems for
each bike. I like the modular concept, myself.
Old 06-18-19, 04:26 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

I like the modular concept, myself.
Obviously every solution is always a compromise and different compromises are best suited for different people and their typical situations. For me with every bike the decision is what gets bolted solid to the bike, that I can leave it behind in the street, and what I need to take off. If I needed to take off a motor and battery for every errand I would make, it would become a sentence. However some people as a rule always take their folder inside. I don't do it and I would hate to have to do it or to take a significant portion thereof. Again all kinds of considerations come in for different people including obviously financial. Certainly a benefit of a movable system is that when it does not work on one system you can take it to another. Yet for Brompton to prosper as a brand they utterly need to test and perfect the system so that it works well so you can take a whole layer of considerations off from there.
Old 06-18-19, 04:33 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
I’m generally not thrilled with the emergence of the electric bike. All things have a purpose and benefit so it must be needed.

but no, not excited about an electric Brompton. I am excited about it before they went electric!
Old 06-18-19, 04:38 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
It is in an interesting option. I could see it for airplane travel.

If I were going to go electric, I would (or will) likely go to a designed ebike with hydraulic disk brakes and a torque sensor based control, lights, etc. 300 W bat is not much, but still flight legal.

I would think it would be loud. Is that so?
Old 06-18-19, 05:01 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
It is in an interesting option. I could see it for airplane travel.

If I were going to go electric, I would (or will) likely go to a designed ebike with hydraulic disk brakes and a torque sensor based control, lights, etc. 300 W bat is not much, but still flight legal.

I would think it would be loud. Is that so?
No... they did a great job with the sound. The sound is much lower pitched and blends in with traffic and city noise. I don't notice it at all really. It's not the right thing for someone who wants tons of power to use all the time more like a moped-type ebike. But for someone who has a road bike or other really light bike (like my pakiT and Dahon Mu Uno) it's a great way to have an electric bike without the weight penalty. With the motor, my BF pakit will be 23.5 lb including battery/motor. My Dahon (which is less than 22 lbs because I got rid of the biologic seat post) will be 24.75 lbs. If you've spent the money to get a sub 19 lb road bike, just imagine having the option of adding minimal weight and motorizing or popping it off and riding like normal. It's like apples and oranges compared to dedicated e-bikes with hydraulics, suspension, etc. They just fit different needs. Just like adding 10-15lbs to a folding bike makes less sense, when you might be carrying it up steps and lifting into trunks. Of course, if you have the $ and the space, then you can have that light roadie and that heavy e-bike, lol. Just don't run out of juice and have to pedal that sucker home...
Old 06-18-19, 05:10 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by 2_i
Obviously every solution is always a compromise and different compromises are best suited for different people and their typical situations. For me with every bike the decision is what gets bolted solid to the bike, that I can leave it behind in the street, and what I need to take off. If I needed to take off a motor and battery for every errand I would make, it would become a sentence. However some people as a rule always take their folder inside. I don't do it and I would hate to have to do it or to take a significant portion thereof. Again all kinds of considerations come in for different people including obviously financial. Certainly a benefit of a movable system is that when it does not work on one system you can take it to another. Yet for Brompton to prosper as a brand they utterly need to test and perfect the system so that it works well so you can take a whole layer of considerations off from there.
I guess it depends on where you live. I would never leave an electric battery mounted on a bike here, and any wheel with a motor needs to be u-locked. And even then, you can come back and find it gone. I moved on from regular bikes to a folder because I got tired of wondering if my bike, or which parts of my bike, would be there when I got back. I never leave my Bike Friday locked anywhere, but I do lock up my Dahon Mu Uno. I bought the Dahon used, it's got stickers on it, it's a single speed...less desirable. But if I lock my Dahon up, I want a system I can remove and take with me if I motorize it. It takes less than 10 seconds to remove the 1Motor, connect the two parts, and it has a carry handle built in. I can fit it inside the Patagonia Atom sling bag I ride with, along with my tools. I think a lot of people would prefer to lock up their "beater" bikes and be able to bring the motor inside with them for safety. If I come back and the Dahon is gone, I'm out a couple hundred bucks. A dedicated electric bike is a theft target, and u locks are super easy to remove. I know, because I had to cut one off my son's bike when he lost the key - angle grinder took 15 seconds for a kryptonite u lock. Like cutting butter. You'd better have great insurance if you lock an nice e-bike up in any major city. Either you bring that Brompton inside with you everywhere you go or you take that battery bag off and have to carry it; no different than the 1M except 1M is lighter.
Old 06-18-19, 06:20 PM
aadhils
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
I would probably agree with this if (1) the 1Motor really was generic and (2) I didn't have one now so I know how well it works. Brompton uses a generic hub system and really it's the mounting system that is particular, not the device itself.. Certainly I would want to read reviews by Brompton users if that was the bike I was going to use.....and as 1M ships out more, you'll see them. Hopefully EBR will also get a unit to review in the near future.
One big advantage I see is that the system is NOT stuck to the bike, so you can use it on multiple bikes or if you get a new bike. With Brompton's system, you are stuck with Brompton as I don't believe you can move it to any other bike. I suppose if you are sure you are never going to consider a different bike in the future......but things like Helix and other cool bikes will be developed. Who knows what lightweight fast folding speed demon is around the corner? I guess if you have lots of $ you can buy different systems for
each bike. I like the modular concept, myself.
Every part of the motor system is custom made. I'm confident in their quality and performance. All the reviews I've read have reinforced that perception.
Old 06-18-19, 06:46 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by aadhils
Every part of the motor system is custom made. I'm confident in their quality and performance. All the reviews I've read have reinforced that perception.
I'm sure it's fine, I'm just saying systems that aren't made by Brompton can be excellent as well, in response to an earlier poster. And - it is heavy. And - you do have to remove the battery
bag and take it with you (something an earlier poster didn't like about removing the 1M from the bike). It's all a matter of what you want and need. A Brompton with the Brompton electric system is not going to be a light bike. 13.7-14.7 kg PLUS the battery @ 2.9kg. For comparison, that is 36.5-38.5 lbs compared to a Brompton non-electric at around 24 lbs + 4.5 lbs for 1motor. If you have to lift it or carry it, that's a big difference. But I'm sure many folks won't care.
Old 06-18-19, 08:13 PM
2_i 

And - you do have to remove the battery
bag and take it with you (something an earlier poster didn't like about removing the 1M from the bike). It's all a matter of what you want and need.
I am not into electric bikes, but I had to take care of an electric folding bike for a friend who was trying to fly with such a bike and was banned from taking it on the plane due to too high battery capacity. The battery cells were stashed inside the main tube and my solution was to pull them out, separate into cells and give a few to different people who were later traveling down the same route. It worked but in the end these were industry standard cells that you can buy left and right from different suppliers. I have such cells on my regular non-electric bike, used there to balance power production and supply with a dynamo producing the original power. Yes lithium batteries are more expensive than other technologies, but at some point their theft may be compared to stealing AA batteries. When the batteries are additionally in some proprietary packaging, what the heck are you going to do with them after the theft? I know that some people will steal no matter what and think only afterwards.
Old 06-18-19, 10:21 PM
linberl

People who will steal bikes will also take anything not nailed down. Either they find some way to use it, sell it, or make a few bucks recycling it. Hell, my son had a empty triangle bag taken off his beater once, and the bag had a hole in it! Who would want it? But a bike with a "permanent" mount battery is a great target - they'll just take the whole darned bike!
Comes with motor and battery and all they have to do is grind one or two locks in less than a minute. No one is going to say anything or stop them - tons of you tube videos of people
just walking past all the sparks flying ("Oh, I lost my key"). I'd rather lose a bike and keep the battery and motor then lose it all....YMMV depending on where you live.
Old 06-18-19, 10:59 PM
2_i 

YMMV depending on where you live.
Of course! I normally go by the nose in any new place, erring on overcautious side first and taking small steps forward, observing what locals do. Paradoxically I would leave bike unattended without much thought in busy places in Africa I frequent, at least during the day. No I would not do it in S Africa that functions like a big city in other regions of the world. However elsewhere a house might be demarked by sticks stuck in the ground and cloth stretched around them. With this the order must be maintained by respect for property of others rather than by physical barriers. Additionally items that somebody might crave for are cows, goats or cash and not really a bike that could be identified. A Brompton of course is completely out of place and primarily attracts curiosity and demands for doing the trick of the folding to a small size and unfolding.
Old 06-18-19, 11:17 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by 2_i
Of course! I normally go by the nose in any new place, erring on overcautious side first and taking small steps forward, observing what locals do. Paradoxically I would leave bike unattended without much thought in busy places in Africa I frequent, at least during the day. No I would not do it in S Africa that functions like a big city in other regions of the world. However elsewhere a house might be demarked by sticks stuck in the ground and cloth stretched around them. With this the order must be maintained by respect for property of others rather than by physical barriers. Additionally items that somebody might crave for are cows, goats or cash and not really a bike that could be identified. A Brompton of course is completely out of place and primarily attracts curiosity and demands for doing the trick of the folding to a small size and unfolding.
I'd love to see the face of someone in rural Africa watching you fold the Brompton, lol. With our tall buildings and security systems we think we have progress, ha!
Old 06-19-19, 06:11 AM
2_i 

I'd love to see the face of someone in rural Africa watching you fold the Brompton, lol. With our tall buildings and security systems we think we have progress, ha!
The most fun I had was with bike taxi riders. They would clap and ask me to ride around. I was even offered to enroll in a taxi co-op. One aspect of this is that taxi riding is an entry level job and bike riding in general is commonly perceived as something that people with little means do. When I ride in, representing the better off world, they feel empowered.
Old 06-19-19, 10:02 AM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by aadhils
I've read from a few US vendors like Clevercycles that they will be having the US version soon with a June/July delivery date. Cant wait!
I'm excited in the sense that it is a step forward for Brompton... arguably the leader in upscale commuter folding bikes. They aren't the first to marry electric motors with folding bikes, but if they can deliver a refined experience compared to what's out there, then it might even be worth the high price. What is the final price on these anyways?

Or you can do this now, and it's a lot lighter weigh (4.5 lbs) t, can be removed completely in 10 seconds and used on any other bikes you have. Special mounts available for Brompton so you can still use your luggage. Onemotor.co.

It's definitely a neat option. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. I can afford it, but I also want to take a trip to Spain... and I'm afraid that there will always be a trip I want to take to... somewhere. But still... neat idea. If your riding around the Bay Area ever takes you into Alameda, let me know. Would be cool to check it out.
Old 06-19-19, 11:23 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by Lalato
I'm excited in the sense that it is a step forward for Brompton... arguably the leader in upscale commuter folding bikes. They aren't the first to marry electric motors with folding bikes, but if they can deliver a refined experience compared to what's out there, then it might even be worth the high price. What is the final price on these anyways?

It's definitely a neat option. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. I can afford it, but I also want to take a trip to Spain... and I'm afraid that there will always be a trip I want to take to... somewhere. But still... neat idea. If your riding around the Bay Area ever takes you into Alameda, let me know. Would be cool to check it out.
I'll definitely be getting to Alameda. My adult son has been waiting to show me the Bay Farm trail and I've just been waiting on my motor. I'll PM you once I know when we are gonna ride it. Yeah, it isn't cheap, but since I have two bikes, I figured the cost was actually a bargain compared to two complete separate setups. Loz, find a friend and get mounts for both your bikes and share it, haha. alternating days "custody".
Old 06-20-19, 10:12 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I assume 'US version' is the plug on the battery charger is different, and the mains power input...

is not expecting 220v. .. other than that no different..
Old 06-20-19, 11:53 AM
ImplodingVoice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do people often lock Bromptons up outside? I thought a main point of this bike is that it can often be brought indoors, so why would anyone leave it outside?
Old 06-21-19, 08:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Not much commuter Rail in Texas, so Your issue is only theoretical ..
Old 06-23-19, 01:36 PM
Winfried

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by ImplodingVoice
Do people often lock Bromptons up outside? I thought a main point of this bike is that it can often be brought indoors, so why would anyone leave it outside?
Often, yes.

Always, no.

Then, what do you do? You get a strong, compact D-lock, park the bike in what looks like a safer area, and hope for the best. That's what you do.
Old 06-23-19, 03:19 PM
ImplodingVoice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't lock up a Brompton outside in New York City or Philadelphia.

Originally Posted by Winfried
Often, yes.

Always, no.

Then, what do you do? You get a strong, compact D-lock, park the bike in what looks like a safer area, and hope for the best. That's what you do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.