Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What makes you happy when commuting?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What makes you happy when commuting?

Old 06-18-19, 11:54 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Out drinking til 1:00 am with hockey buds and calling into the office “sorry, late, flat tire on my commute “
Old 06-18-19, 02:29 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Cruising on the trails, enjoying the sunrise, the wildlife, the sounds of birds. Short the sights, sounds and smells of nature. But also the grills getting fired up in the neighborhood. That always makes me hungry on my way home.
Old 06-19-19, 08:31 AM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Spent the morning with my wife and son, he wanted to ride our neighbor's motorized (children's) tractor.

Then pedaled to my office and along the way a disgruntled motorist trapped in their car felt it would be wise to scream obscenities at me from their car. Normally I'm all for some fun verbal exchanges. Today I just acted as if I didn't even hear them. It felt really darn good, The Ignore might be my new move in such situations. Not one where someone is operating their vehicle lawlessly and endangering me, I'll speak up then, but just some jerk casually screaming at people on bikes?

It's comical to me though. Does somebody think a person out enjoying a bicycle ride, getting some exercise, not relying on a a car is actually going to care what they want to scream at them? I sure didn't.

I also always want to ask, Hey, how many cyclists did you have to wait for? Or yield to? Or not drive into today? Oh, just one! Guess how many motorists nearly killed me by driving illegally?

Anyway, big smile on my face for my entire commute for just ignoring them!

Last edited by nayr497; 06-19-19 at 09:36 AM. Reason: +
Old 06-19-19, 09:37 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by nayr497
Spent the morning with my wife and son, he wanted to ride our neighbor's motorized (children's) tractor.

Then pedaled to my office and along the way a disgruntled motorist trapped in their car felt it would be wise to scream obscenities at me from their car. Normally I'm all for some fun verbal exchanges. Today I just acted as if I didn't even hear them. It felt really darn good, The Ignore might be my new move in such situations. Not one where someone is operating their vehicle lawlessly and endangering me, I'll speak up then, but just some casually jerk screaming at people on bikes.

It's comical to me though. Does somebody think a person out enjoying a bicycle ride, getting some exercise, not relying on a a car is actually going to care what they want to scream at them? I sure didn't.

I also always want to ask, Hey, how many cyclists did you have to wait for? Or yield to? Or not drive into today? Oh, just one! Guess how many motorists nearly killed me by driving illegally?

Anyway, big smile on my face for my entire commute for just ignoring them!
I've also tried the trick of responding to someone cursing me out by acting like I misheard them. I'll yell back something like "Oh hey, man! Yeah its' a great day! Thanks, buddy!" with a big smile on my face as though I thought they were saying something positive.

Drives an angry person insane! Here they are irrationally angry at you and now they think you're happy!

It's positively evil.
Old 06-19-19, 09:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
clean roads
Old 06-19-19, 10:16 AM
Wrokkar

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took a different route in today. It's nice to see new things. Experience new, or different roads.
Every ride is a mini adventure. I get to tune in to my surroundings.

Though it isn't something that makes me happy, I am more aware of the homeless. Their plight, whether self-induced or not, becomes more real to me. I make an effort to smile at them. To say good-morning. To even offer some time if I have it.
Old 06-21-19, 05:58 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15, '03 Litespeed Firenze

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 110 Posts
Today while riding a bee started flying in front of me, like 2 feet ahead in similar speed, so I could see it clearly while it was flying.
It lasted some 3 secs. That was cool
Likes For phtomita:
Old 06-22-19, 03:14 PM
rollalongnow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
As a compliment to the 'what may annoy you when commuting' thread, how about what makes you happy?

I'll put the standard answers up front. Fresh air...exercise in what would have been wasted car time...

For me it just feels more free somehow. Even though I can go further and faster in the car, there is something about being in the open air with nothing holding me back but my own legs.
I’m down hill on the way in, it wakes me up for the day. Uphill all the way back and washes away a stressful day. I wish I could commute both ways everyday, but we have a kiddo so we rotate driving with drop off and pickup. Wife doesn’t ride. Maybe when the kiddo is in High School we can change that. Would be nice to bike pool. The downside is it’s 26 miles each way. It’s an hour and a half in and two hours or more back. That’s a long time for a teenager to be home alone with opportunities to get into trouble. Not trying to sound like a hover parent, but teenagers need supervision and mom and dad not home until 7 or so can’t be a good thing. She plans to ride to school. It’s about 6 miles each way, so I’m getting her or putting together a bike for her when she tops out in height in a year or so.
Old 06-24-19, 07:16 AM
Skipjacks

When somehow the stars align and I leave the house 15-20 minutes early so instead of pushing the bike hard to get to work fast I can take a longer more meandering rider at a slower more relaxing pace. That is a glorious way to start the day!
Old 06-24-19, 10:59 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
When somehow the stars align and I leave the house 15-20 minutes early so instead of pushing the bike hard to get to work fast I can take a longer more meandering rider at a slower more relaxing pace. That is a glorious way to start the day!
That happened to me a week ago when I left early in time to get to the office early enough to be ready for a guy to show up and buy something I'd advertised on CL. I got there 15 minutes early pleased to have enough time to be ready for him and cool off in peace and quiet but found him waiting for me.....
Old 06-25-19, 10:25 AM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh man, YES, leaving early is sooooo nice. But, with two dogs, a cat, a three year old son, a wife...no matter how much prep I do the night before, something always comes up and I'm rarely out the door early!

And yes, ignoring irrationally angry people is really darn fun
Old 06-25-19, 04:29 PM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
My commute in takes me along the sea front in Burnham at around 7 in the morning - it's very quiet and a nice time to stop and watch the sea.
Old 06-26-19, 06:40 AM
Skipjacks

It made me happy this morning when I didn't cut the squirrel in half when it ran between my wheels at full speed.

I was doing 20mph and a squirrel ran right between the wheels. Somehow he managed to get through that gauntlet without touching either tire. And that made me happy...because I would not have enjoyed cleaning squirrel carcass out of my frame.

Last edited by Skipjacks; 06-26-19 at 11:25 AM.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 06-26-19, 10:50 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Yesterday, the forecast said risk of thundershowers this afternoon.

Today, my weekly long ride to downtown Toronto, the forecast was sunny all day 20% pop.
Old 06-27-19, 10:04 AM
bd772

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
unlimited miles per gallon!
Likes For bd772:
Old 06-28-19, 06:19 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by bd772
unlimited miles per gallon!
I only get about 15 miles per gallon. We're talking about beer, right?
Old 06-28-19, 11:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
light traffic
Old 06-28-19, 11:53 AM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Seeing other bike commuters. It's a rare sighting in this neck of the woods.
Old 06-28-19, 01:49 PM
phtomita

Very busy at work and coming back to late home this week, so skipped riding from Tue. I see people riding while driving and want to go there - Looking for a refreshing weekend ride - will be short probably since will be working some
Old 06-28-19, 09:48 PM
bd772

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I only get about 15 miles per gallon. We're talking about beer, right?
Right! Some IPA!
Old 06-29-19, 09:30 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Oh man, YES, leaving early is sooooo nice. But, with two dogs, a cat, a three year old son, a wife...no matter how much prep I do the night before, something always comes up and I'm rarely out the door early!
That's one thing I made peace with early on. It seems I'm always rushing to get out the door no matter how much prep I do earlier, yet I get to work on time 99.99999% of the time and it's OK when I don't.
Old 06-29-19, 10:37 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts

Likes For Korina:
Old 06-29-19, 11:32 AM
phtomita

^^^ nice commute!!!
Old 06-30-19, 05:29 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
When somehow the stars align and I leave the house 15-20 minutes early so instead of pushing the bike hard to get to work fast I can take a longer more meandering rider at a slower more relaxing pace.

That is a glorious way to start the day!
Originally Posted by no motor?
That happened to me a week ago when I left early in time to get to the office early enough to be ready for a guy to show up and buy something I'd advertised on CL.

I got there 15 minutes early pleased to have enough time to be ready for him and cool off in peace and quiet but found him waiting for me.....
Originally Posted by no motor?
That's one thing I made peace with early on.

It seems I'm always rushing to get out the door no matter how much prep I do earlier, yet I get to work on time 99.99999% of the time and it's OK when I don't.
I have flexible working hours, within reason, to do what needs to be done, and I’m usually the first one in by about an hour. However,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
For the first few years when I started commuting to work, I would dream that I had to be there for a critical procedure the first thing in the morning, and I was too far away to get there on time.

Much like that paradigmatic dream of going for a final exam, and can’t find the room / didn’t attend the class.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-30-19 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-02-19, 07:43 PM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
What make me happy on my commute? When I find tools or money on my commute.
Likes For tim24k:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.