Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rainman slaps Garmin

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rainman slaps Garmin

Old 06-20-19, 12:56 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
The censor has been fixed. Carry on.
If this is truly a Garmin thread, then can we safely assume that at some point in the future the U*N*I* bug will be back?
Likes For Beach Bob:
Old 06-20-19, 01:16 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
This completely wild speculation my part without a shred of supporting evidence (i.e., rock solid fact on Bikeforums) but I would trace all of Garmin's continued software problems back to 2010 when the entire Garmin Connect team quit, rather than move to Kansas: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/03/...am-tossed.html

As someone who has lived in Kansas my entire life, I really don't blame the developers.
Old 06-20-19, 02:39 PM
mccombs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
This completely wild speculation my part without a shred of supporting evidence (i.e., rock solid fact on Bikeforums) but I would trace all of Garmin's continued software problems back to 2010 when the entire Garmin Connect team quit, rather than move to Kansas.

As someone who has lived in Kansas my entire life, I really don't blame the developers.
This could have contributed to the problem. Obviously they have developers now, and they may even be pretty decent overall. Developers in every company deliver bugs. They're human and it can't be avoided. Bugs at most companies are found during testing, and the significant ones get fixed and retested before release. Garmin seems to have the worst Test/QA department. Sometimes, it looks like the releases aren't even tested since the bugs are so big and so obvious.

I don't know how good the Garmin developers are, but its very clear that the Test/QA department needs a sharp kick. Actually, a kick wont do it. They need to bring in new Test/QA folks that know what their doing.
Old 06-20-19, 04:19 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
This completely wild speculation my part without a shred of supporting evidence (i.e., rock solid fact on Bikeforums) but I would trace all of Garmin's continued software problems back to 2010 when the entire Garmin Connect team quit, rather than move to Kansas: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/03/...am-tossed.html
This makes no sense.

The Garmin Connect team were web developers.
Old 06-22-19, 06:16 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
my 500 was flawless until they released a newer edge, and um updated my 500.

my 520 was flawless until they released the 530, and auto updated my 520.

I see a pattern here that disturbs me.
Old 06-22-19, 06:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuehhwa
If you like long rides (> 6 hrs), you're more likely to experience Garmin failure in your rides. My Garmin 520 crashed approximately once of every six century rides. That is, one Garmin failure every ~42 hrs of rides. For most, it's probably quite acceptable. For some that enjoy long rides/Century/Gran Fondo events, it could be troublesome, since you would like the events being recorded accurately. As a result, I've seen people using two devices to record their important rides. In addition to my Garmin 520, I always use Strava on my Apple Watch in the paid cycling events.
You know I do individual hikes longer than 42 hours sometimes and have no trouble with my Garmin watch.
Old 06-22-19, 07:19 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
I have the Garmin Edge 1000... I see that the Garmin forum has now changed and there is no longer a section for the Edge 1000 .... that sucks as I frequented the forum often to see what new software updates were available and what bugs other users found
For the OP TL;DR article. "Headline" Link definitely IMO has some truth to its proclamation.

As for the Edge 1000, (which is what I have), if you haven't already found out...for the latest map update you have to buy an SD Card minimum of 4 GB or a max of 32 GB to install before you can download and update.
Old 06-22-19, 07:56 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
FWIW the last wahoo update messed a bunch a crap on their units. Its not just Garmin that issues I guess.
Old 06-22-19, 09:04 PM
mccombs

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat
For the OP TL;DR article. "Headline" Link definitely IMO has some truth to its proclamation.

As for the Edge 1000, (which is what I have), if you haven't already found out...for the latest map update you have to buy an SD Card minimum of 4 GB or a max of 32 GB to install before you can download and update.
I know this is off-topic, but since the garmin 1000 forum is DOA, would you post a link to details about how to do the latest map update?
Old 06-22-19, 09:31 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
After about three weeks of LiveTrack working again (after installing a Garmin Connect app update to fix the update that broke LiveTrack), no joy last two rides. One of the two iPhone Bluetooth connections isn’t working. Deleted the 520+ from phone, deleted phone connection from the 520+, re-paired, no change. Sigh.
Old 06-23-19, 08:39 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by mccombs
I know this is off-topic, but since the garmin 1000 forum is DOA, would you post a link to details about how to do the latest map update?
The Garmin Express app does that automatically if you plug your Garmin into a desktop or laptop.

Old 06-23-19, 09:20 AM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
The Garmin Express app does that automatically if you plug your Garmin into a desktop or laptop.
Correct, but for the latest map update you have to first install into your Garmin Edge 1000 an SD card as the Edge 1000 memory isn't sufficient to handle the amount of download.
Old 06-23-19, 09:38 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
My Edge 520 is weirdly inconsistent. Lot's of trouble connecting to my Di2 (Shimano EW-WU111) letely. For a few weeks it worked great as long as I connected phone to Edge before anything else by firing up the Connect app on my phone. Now it seems to require an Edge restart instead.

I wonder how it will fail next week?
Old 06-23-19, 09:49 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Correct, but for the latest map update you have to first install into your Garmin Edge 1000 an SD card as the Edge 1000 memory isn't sufficient to handle the amount of download.
I just purchased a new Garmin GPS (DriveSmart 55) for the car as my old unit it replaced was 13 years old.

- The new unit cannot be found by Garmin Express on a PC
- The WiFi (yes, it has WiFi) map and system download took 2 hrs. I assume the Garmin server uses a dial up modem ?
- The unit wanted a SIM card to handle the map and system updates. I was lucky I had one in the old unit.

So the experience with a standard consumer product is that Garmin has some of the worst system designers in the world working for them. I recall being frustrated 13 years ago when my Navi unit was new.
Old 06-23-19, 11:41 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
I was going to buy a 520 Edge, but all the complaints about bugs and more so just utter crap battery life rendering it useless in short order just made me feel like I'd be lighting $250 on fire, color screen be damned.

Bought a Bolt instead with that money, and while I've experienced one bug with it, I'm generally pretty happy with it and don't feel like I'm just waiting for it to die already with impending plans to replace it a year later with something else.
Old 06-23-19, 12:08 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,434 Times in 2,812 Posts
My annoyances with the Edge 1000:

- A few months after buying it, the Edge 1000 forum vanished on Garmin Forums.

- After it suddenly started losing GPS lock repeatedly on a ride, some googling turned up the solution of disabling GLONASS to solve the problem. (So what is the point of a feature that must be disabled?)

- I tried using the screenlock a few times, but learned that was a mistake, as it is almost never possible to unlock it.

- There are 3 profiles (Train/Indoor/Race), each with their own map selection, but in fact changing the map selection for one, changes it for all of them.

- The last time I updated the maps, it informed me that due to lack of sufficient internal flash, it was installing on the microSD card, and I could not remove that card, else it would not function properly.
Old 06-23-19, 12:49 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Sorry, I should have read closer. My 1030 has a card but the maps are stored on internal storage. I'll butt out. Carry on.

Old 06-24-19, 06:01 AM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
My 1030 has been fine after the freeze up issue early last year was corrected. However, never used live tracks and I don't do Strava. I had a bike accident this March. 64 miles in on a 67 mile ride. Lady pulled right out in front of me. Can't remember much about the accident due to concussion and post concussion stuff. Accident was on a Saturday and police took the bike so I got it back on Monday. Amazingly the garmin was still recording the ride so I got a very accurate deconstruct of the accident, My panic braking (blew out the rear tire) and my impact speed, the 35 MPH police ride my bike took etc. Anyway very impressed that the battery endured! On the down side the incident detection did not work. I missed that you need to have the Garmin app open for that to work?
Old 06-24-19, 08:37 AM
hsuehhwa

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You know I do individual hikes longer than 42 hours sometimes and have no trouble with my Garmin watch.
Got the startup frozen screen again yesterday on my Garmin 520. Tried multiple reset but didn’t work . Finally it was able to get to the start screen 60 min into the ride.
Old 06-24-19, 06:45 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Got the startup frozen screen again yesterday on my Garmin 520. Tried multiple reset but didn’t work . Finally it was able to get to the start screen 60 min into the ride.
Not bad.
Old 06-24-19, 09:43 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
My 520 had the freeze screen several times during its time in service. The most recent was when a software update tried to run when there wasn't enough storage space, and the thing basically had a stroke. I had to do a full reset. I think it had 3 full resets in 2 years, which for a Garmin was pretty good.
Old 06-24-19, 10:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
- After it suddenly started losing GPS lock repeatedly on a ride, some googling turned up the solution of disabling GLONASS to solve the problem. (So what is the point of a feature that must be disabled?)
How well GLONASS supplementation works depends where you live (in relation to the satellite constellation). From what I've heard using the two together doesn't work as well as you'd hope, for pretty much anyone. Like the receiver gets confused and doesn't know who to trust or something.
Old 06-24-19, 10:23 PM
Seattle Forrest

For what it's worth I don't think your lying and I hope you don't think I am. Maybe you use yours in ways they didn't anticipate and I only go down the happy path, I don't know. I think part of it has to do with their watches being better than their bike computers.

I would find what you're describing unacceptable. I would personally try to get them to replace it under warranty, partly out of spite.

Maybe I've been lucky in my experience with them, I don't know. But I do know a lot of cyclists have had a lot of trouble with most of their computers. Figured everyone would like a good excuse to complain. I'm sure they have someone doing "reputation management" for them who might even read this thread.
Old 06-24-19, 10:36 PM
hsuehhwa

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
For what it's worth I don't think your lying and I hope you don't think I am. Maybe you use yours in ways they didn't anticipate and I only go down the happy path, I don't know. I think part of it has to do with their watches being better than their bike computers.

I would find what you're describing unacceptable. I would personally try to get them to replace it under warranty, partly out of spite.

Maybe I've been lucky in my experience with them, I don't know. But I do know a lot of cyclists have had a lot of trouble with most of their computers. Figured everyone would like a good excuse to complain. I'm sure they have someone doing "reputation management" for them who might even read this thread.
I totally understand. As I mentioned earlier, I have had no problem at all with my previous two garmin 500 & 800. The first six months of Garmin 520 ownership was great until a firmware upgrade....
Old 06-24-19, 10:43 PM
Seattle Forrest

I had the 800 for almost a decade. It was rock solid. Actually it was probably really buggy in the beginning because they all seem to be, but I didn't really know to use it for anything but a speedometer and a map back then. The only reason I'm not still using it (I'm getting cheaper as I get older) is that it was on a bike that got stolen. I tried a 1000 for about a week, but I didn't really feel like it was worth the money.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.