Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wabi Cycle offered me a deal for their defective item, which one to choose?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-20-19, 12:52 PM
tlc8439

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I purchased the Lightning SE model ($1,295.00)

Long story short,
They got me a frame without brazes on both seat post tube/bottom tube, so I couldn't install my bottle cage.
I was confused if there was an option to choose and if I missed it? So I emailed them and it was, in fact, a defective item.

Wabi offered

1.Keeping the frame
-$150.00 partial refund to my credit card
-will send me 3rd party bottle cage mount/clamp at a free of charge.

2.Exchange
-Return the frame only
-$50 store credit
-return and shipping fee will be on them
-will take about 10 days to receive my new frame

TBH, I think wabi's "keeping the bike" offer sounds more practical, (I think they purposely made that deal better than exchanging the frame)
but what's your thought?

I sorta have an OCD, but never really cared about the bottle cage until recently, so I don't think I will care that much since I can always buy some hose clamp and diy it,
but at the same time, having a defect item feels kinda annoying. I also genuinly think the screws/braze give aesthetics to the bike, but it looks really clean without it also.

What would you do..? Please let me know.
Thank you!
Old 06-20-19, 01:09 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I could see them missing the step where they added water bottle frame bosses could be really annoying. On the other hand, an 11+% discount would go a long way toward making me happy. Whatever you do, DO NOT use hose clamps to attach the replacement bosses. It will damage the paint. When I came across a kid's bike that had no cage mounts I bought one of these handlebar mounts. They are not expensive - under $2 from an overseas seller and $4.50. from a US seller on eBay. Add your own cage.
Old 06-20-19, 01:14 PM
tlc8439

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=VegasTriker;20988333]I could see them missing the step where they added water bottle frame bosses could be really annoying. On the other hand, an 11+% discount would go a long way toward making me happy. Whatever you do, DO NOT use hose clamps to attach the replacement bosses. It will damage the paint. When I came across a kid's bike that had no cage mounts I bought one of these handlebar mounts. They are not expensive - under $2 from an overseas seller and $4.50. from a US seller on eBay. Add your own cage.

Thank you for the suggestion,
Yea, after a bit of research, I realize hose clamps aren't really the best options haha
Old 06-20-19, 02:10 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Is the bike Alu? Drill and rivnuts?
Likes For ChinookTx:
Old 06-20-19, 02:19 PM
tlc8439

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Is the bike Alu? Drill and rivnuts?
It's a steel frame with a carbon fork. so are you suggesting to take the discount offer?
Old 06-20-19, 02:21 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by tlc8439
It's a steel frame. so are you suggesting to take the discount offer?
I personally would take the discount yes. 4 holes and 4 rivnuts (and some paint if you're worried about rust) and nobody will see the difference. Plus you get to decide how high/low you want to mount your bottle cages in case you're using a frame bag or something like that.
Likes For ChinookTx:
Old 06-20-19, 03:01 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Option A all the way. Keep the frame and take the $150. Which cage mount are they offering you?
Old 06-20-19, 03:08 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
I would opt for option 3: Return the bike at their expense and they send out the bike that they sold you in the first place. The refund would have to be more substantial for me to choose the first option. Option 2 is ridiculous, you would have to strip the components off the frame and then rebuild with the new one. Unless they offer to cover the cost of stripping and rebuilding that is a no go. They made the mistake, they have to provide you the bike that you paid for
Option 4: you return the bike for a full refund
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-20-19, 03:13 PM
tlc8439

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Option A all the way. Keep the frame and take the $150. Which cage mount are they offering you?
one with 2 separate rubber strip & the other with normal stainless cage with strap attached to it permanently. Think the first one is better since I am opted out with the second one in the future if I want to change the cage for any reason. (it doesn't let me post photos yet)
Old 06-20-19, 03:21 PM
tlc8439

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I would opt for option 3: Return the bike at their expense and they send out the bike that they sold you in the first place. The refund would have to be more substantial for me to choose the first option. Option 2 is ridiculous, you would have to strip the components off the frame and then rebuild with the new one. Unless they offer to cover the cost of stripping and rebuilding that is a no go. They made the mistake, they have to provide you the bike that you paid for
damn, I was somewhat satisfied with $150, but I guess I wasn't wise enough.
I think you make sense, including everyone who told me to take the discount offer. I just asked wabi to give me more discount instead of those 2 limited options of cage straps.. gonna see what wabi says.
Old 06-20-19, 03:42 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I have two Wabi's and love both of them (and thinking of buying another one) but sending out a bike without bottle cage braze-ons isn't acceptable in my opinion.

Last edited by drlogik; 06-20-19 at 05:16 PM.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 06-20-19, 03:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
cosmetic blemishes only?
Old 06-20-19, 03:58 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
What are you basing your refund amount on?
10% of the selling price is substantial.
Have you had personal experience with a higher refund on a bicycle purchase?
Old 06-20-19, 04:18 PM
tlc8439b

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys,
This is OP, this forum allows 5 posts in 24hr, so I made a new account to reply.

After I read your comments, I realized I am really not at a fault whatsoever.
I spoke with Wabi after reading your suggestions / opinions (how it's unacceptable, I shouldn't have to put any labor disassembling, discount seems low, etc)

Wabi offered

1.New bike
-They will send a new bike tomorrow (didn't specify what kind of shipping method)
-Asked me to drop off the bike at a local bike shop without any disassembly

2.More discount
-$200.00 (no straps)

What do you think?
Old 06-20-19, 04:20 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Return bike.... get new bike
Likes For trailangel:
Old 06-20-19, 04:44 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinookTx
I personally would take the discount yes. 4 holes and 4 rivnuts (and some paint if you're worried about rust) and nobody will see the difference. Plus you get to decide how high/low you want to mount your bottle cages in case you're using a frame bag or something like that.
Just my opinion, but I would do the same as Chinook. Seems to me like the easiest way for you to get the most value out of the situation. I would always be bothered by the attachable cage holder, both the looks and the location if it is not on the seat tube. I rebuilt a bike a couple of months ago, steel frame that had cage mounts only on the down tube. I never even thought about getting rivnuts installed until after it was done.
Old 06-20-19, 05:00 PM
tlc8439b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided to take the $200.00 discount.

I might do some more research on what can be done, whether it's drilling the tube like ChinookTx /delbiker1 said or purchasing the straps/clamps.

Thank you all for your help, if it weren't for your help, I wouldn't have gotten this better offer from Wabi. (though, none of this would have had happened if I received the right product in the first place.. that was quite a hassle... and I am so tired..)
Old 06-20-19, 07:28 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I would send the whole bike back in about two seconds.

Wabi was a great shop under the old owner but the new owners are dishonest and the business has become a joke.

I tried to buy a frame early 2018 and sent them my measurements. They told me what would fit, I tried to order it but it wasn't in stock. They said the next size down would work but when they realized that wasn't in stock they told me a frame two sizes down would work. That's absolute BS.

Wabi's are actually nice frames but having to drill a brand new frame is ridiculous.

Buy a Soma Rush or something else.

-Tim-
Old 06-20-19, 08:49 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Originally Posted by tlc8439b
Hey guys,
This is OP, this forum allows 5 posts in 24hr, so I made a new account to reply.

After I read your comments, I realized I am really not at a fault whatsoever.
I spoke with Wabi after reading your suggestions / opinions (how it's unacceptable, I shouldn't have to put any labor disassembling, discount seems low, etc)

Wabi offered

1.New bike
-They will send a new bike tomorrow (didn't specify what kind of shipping method)
-Asked me to drop off the bike at a local bike shop without any disassembly

2.More discount
-$200.00 (no straps)

What do you think?
It's good to hear they offered to replace the entire bike (at no cost to you, and with no labor on your part) to make it right.

The $200 discount you accepted is fair too, and probably what I'd have done in your shoes. Especially if the rest of the bike was fine. Installing rivnuts (or finding a clamp on holder that you approve of) is not too difficult.

Keep us posted how you decide to "cage" it, and drop us some pics.
Old 06-20-19, 09:32 PM
tlc8439b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
It's good to hear they offered to replace the entire bike (at no cost to you, and with no labor on your part) to make it right.

The $200 discount you accepted is fair too, and probably what I'd have done in your shoes. Especially if the rest of the bike was fine. Installing rivnuts (or finding a clamp on holder that you approve of) is not too difficult.

Keep us posted how you decide to "cage" it, and drop us some pics.
Yea the rest are fine, it was just annoying... and it almost seemed like he tried to get rid of the defects cuz if a newb like me can notice something like that then shop owner must have noticed it. It’s not like it’s a small unnoticed dent. Ill upload the photo as soon as this 5posts and no photo or link probation goes away...
Old 06-20-19, 10:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10900 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
I can't imagine accepting a bike without bottle cage mounts.
All solutions except properly brazed mounts are inelegant and perhaps even unattractive.
There is 0 reason to take on the responsibility of creating bottle cage mounts.

...but I like water and use 2 bottles within 20mi of regular riding.

The first offer by Wabi is so terrible, it would lead me to not want to work with them at all. The emotional reaction would subside and I would probably tell them to take it back and deliver what I paid for.
Old 06-21-19, 02:41 AM
tlc8439b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I can't imagine accepting a bike without bottle cage mounts.
All solutions except properly brazed mounts are inelegant and perhaps even unattractive.

...but I like water and use 2 bottles within 20mi of regular riding.

The first offer by Wabi is so terrible, it would lead me to not want to work with them at all. The emotional reaction would subside and I would probably tell them to take it back and deliver what I paid for.
Yes.. if it werent for this forum and you guys, i wouldve settled with the first option when i did nothing wrong..
i waited about 2 weeks to get my bike and thinking of disassembling and sending the frame felt too much and was about to accept the 150 but with everyone’s help i got a bit more of discount. I wouldve been more happy with receiving the intact item in the first place but the lightning model was out of my budget anyways. (They dont have the size and color i want for classic for next 2 months or so)

i bought hose clamps and diy’ed with rubber strip and it came out ok because everything is silver and black. Still looks a bit funky but oh well. Ill upload the photo once this account probation is over.
Old 06-21-19, 03:41 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by tlc8439b
Still looks a bit funky but oh well. .
Resell value at zero now.
Old 06-21-19, 04:32 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Resell value at zero now.
Exaggeration factor at a 100x now.
If I was in the market and it was my size I would give him $800.
Assuming $1,295 is in fact their lowest advertised price.

Last edited by downhillmaster; 06-21-19 at 04:35 AM.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 06-21-19, 04:39 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Actually they gave him 200 reasons.

The only important thing here is if the OP is satisfied, since it's his bike.

Just tell people you have the rare and exclusive Wabi "track" version.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.