Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 06:14 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Hercules for sale in the area. Probably later than the advertised '50s and overpriced but it looks complete and in okay shape.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/...920553860.html

1950's English bicycle - $125 (Ashland VA)

bicycle frame material: steel
bicycle type: road
brake type: disc (mechanical)
condition: fair
electric assist: none
frame size: unknown
handlebar type: cruiser
make / manufacturer: Hercules
serial number: none
suspension: none (rigid)
wheel size: 26 in

A diamond in the rough! Made in Nottingham England. In fair shape. Needs cleaning and adjusting. Sturmey Archer 3-speed gears. Brooks leather saddle. Dunlop tyres. Chain good. Dark green fenders. Price negotiable.
Old 06-26-19, 07:58 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
With the right cog, I don't feel overwhelmed by the hills, even though it's just an AW hub. The AW is so simple and basic, but still does the job.
Yes, although sometimes I wish for a gear between 2 and 3. I just put a Cateye on my mixte AW conversion so I have a better idea now of its performance. (Not to mention my own.) I spin out in 2nd at 18 to 20 mph. It doesn't outweigh the AW's practicality, but the upshift to 3rd from there is a big jump.
Old 06-26-19, 08:06 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Recently got this 1951 Raleigh Clubman back together and back on the road:
This has the fluted crankset? Would like to see a closeup of that. Apart from the flutes, how is it different than the usual cottered set?
Old 06-26-19, 12:21 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Thanks, looks like a match to the '77 catalog to me as well. I have an old alloy MTB stem on another 23" road bike that would be just about right and looks just vintage enough most people wouldn't notice. I was getting ready to decommision that one anyway. I also have a pretty good selection of DiaCompe brake calipers that would probably work nicely. I have a couple sets of R559's but they're pretty long reach. I'll have to scrounge up better levers, all I have are MTB levers and they'd look way out of proportion to the rest of the bike. Hoping to get the big chunks cleaned off tonight and get a date off the rear hub but I'm 99.99999% sure it's a '77.
The R559s are a perfect fit. They even have enough clearance for mudguards. I have a pair on my Rudge scorcher, love em.

Old 06-26-19, 03:30 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 602 Posts
Those look to be the same length as the sets I have. I also have a set of nice older BMX caliper brakes that might work, I had used them when I swapped 26 inch wheels onto a 27" road bike frame. I also have some Shimano calipers with pretty long reach that might work. Thanks for the picture, that's a big help, I'll have to dig mine out and see which ones will work the best.

Originally Posted by BigChief
The R559s are a perfect fit. They even have enough clearance for mudguards. I have a pair on my Rudge scorcher, love em.

Old 06-27-19, 08:14 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Yes, although sometimes I wish for a gear between 2 and 3. I just put a Cateye on my mixte AW conversion so I have a better idea now of its performance. (Not to mention my own.) I spin out in 2nd at 18 to 20 mph. It doesn't outweigh the AW's practicality, but the upshift to 3rd from there is a big jump.
Better accuracy: 2nd gear tops out at around 15 mph and 3rd is good at 20 mph so that's the gap where a fill-in gear would be useful.
Old 06-27-19, 09:36 AM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Better accuracy: 2nd gear tops out at around 15 mph and 3rd is good at 20 mph so that's the gap where a fill-in gear would be useful.
I think your answer is the S5. Especially if it's a more sporty build. The medium range mode works great for a scorcher/club bike plus you get a granny and a super tall top gear in wide range mode. I really like these hubs.
Old 06-27-19, 01:28 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Hi All, I’ve got 2 Sturmey Archer front dynamo hubs that I’ve overhauled & they work. Do you think if I posted them for sale in the classified section anyone here would be interested? I think 1 is from the 40’s and one from the ‘50’s.
Old 06-27-19, 07:32 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
@BigChief

Hope your knee is healing well! Bummer to have nice 3 speeds to ride and not being able to.
Old 06-28-19, 03:32 AM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
@BigChief

Hope your knee is healing well! Bummer to have nice 3 speeds to ride and not being able to.
I do have to keep "adapting" to my aging body, but I'm going to keep riding even if that means shorter and easier rides. This summer marks my 60th year of bicycling. Can't complain. I figure anything after this is gravy.
Old 06-28-19, 06:00 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Originally Posted by BigChief
I think your answer is the S5. Especially if it's a more sporty build. The medium range mode works great for a scorcher/club bike plus you get a granny and a super tall top gear in wide range mode. I really like these hubs.
I like the idea. I even know where one might be available. Mine is a small knock on a bike that so far I'm outrageously happy with. I used some vacation time this last week and the bike carried me to the beach every day, a 24 mile round trip. I like the variety between the sit up more straight Rudge with north road bars and the mixte set up motorcycle style.

About the knees, I sympathize. I've had no more than occasional twinges but it's alarming when they happen. It never occurred to me they are such a focus of a person's physical destiny.
Old 06-28-19, 07:25 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 323 Posts
The 33% jump from Normal/2 to High/3 is a big jump, but I just got used to it. I tend to just sit back a bit and spin in Normal/2 when the terrain falls between the gears.

Crank is below - Williams.

Old 06-28-19, 07:53 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
The 33% jump from Normal/2 to High/3 is a big jump, but I just got used to it. I tend to just sit back a bit and spin in Normal/2 when the terrain falls between the gears.
This is a topic that comes up a lot at meetings of the Gentlemen Cyclists, and the Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour in particular.

The theory is that what we call "spinning" was considered undignified, unless you were racing. So the AW was geared to support a nice, slow cadence keeping reasonable speeds. Walking the bike up a hill was perfectly acceptable.

I belong to a small-but-growing group who like the 21 and 22t cogs, turning 3rd (or High) gear into our cruising gear. 2nd is for headwinds, and the robust low gear is for hills. That seems to work best for the `Tour. We are only missing out on the higher speeds going down hill, but everyone knows that that is when a gentleman rests, and lets gravity do the work.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider:
Old 06-28-19, 08:24 AM
Iron Horse

Bikes: Western Flyer, Schwinn, Rollfast, Gambles, J.C. Higgins, Waverley, Crescent, Hercules, Nishiki, Huffy, Mohawk, AMF, Electra, A ridable replica hi-wheel and a few others.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 19 Posts
Hopefully not too silly a question. My wife stands 4'8" in her stocking'd feet. She wants an older english style 3 speed to ride with me on mine. So far in my searches I have found two. A couple years ago I found a Gazelle Piet Pelle laser. 24 x 1 3/8 tires, single speed. It fits her well, but weighs a figurative ton! Needless to say, she hasn't ridden it much. I also found a 5 speed something or other (I forget the name), but upon getting it, it weighs more than the Gazelle! What I am wanting to know is, are there any others out there that don't weigh 45 pounds empty? All of her bikes have the 24 inch wheels, so I know options are limited, but it's what she would like. She has tried small framed modern bikes, but doesn't like them much. She says they're out of proportion. Ha! Anyhoo, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-28-19, 09:33 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Have you both considered the Raleigh Twenty models? They do weigh but can be lightened. Size would be perfect for both
Old 06-28-19, 10:15 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 323 Posts
I think the 22 rear and 48 front is a good combo. I coast down larger hills. We don't have much in the way of flat area here, so you need some time to rest for the next climb.
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 06-28-19, 12:36 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
This is a topic that comes up a lot at meetings of the Gentlemen Cyclists, and the Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour in particular.

The theory is that what we call "spinning" was considered undignified, unless you were racing. So the AW was geared to support a nice, slow cadence keeping reasonable speeds. Walking the bike up a hill was perfectly acceptable.

I belong to a small-but-growing group who like the 21 and 22t cogs, turning 3rd (or High) gear into our cruising gear. 2nd is for headwinds, and the robust low gear is for hills. That seems to work best for the `Tour. We are only missing out on the higher speeds going down hill, but everyone knows that that is when a gentleman rests, and lets gravity do the work.
I've been using a 23t on mine, mainly to make up for the additional wheel size on my Raleigh Tourist. Running that same cog on my Sprite has me using high gear (with the second lever in the regular/down position) regularly on the flats. Yes, I'm one of those guys who insists on riding an IGH bike like it's a Tour de France. I like my 85-90rpm cadence, and it just doesn't feel right to pedal slower. I've always figured that dropping from the factory 15-16t to the 22-23t cog turns third gear into second, second gear into first, and first gear into something that'll actually climb hills. Add the S5 overdrive/underdrive positioning of the second lever, and you can now consider climbing trees.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 06-28-19, 01:12 PM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
Found this little gem recently. It should accent my '53 Rudge Sport rather well. I guess no vintage english vehicle should be without something Lucas!

Old 06-28-19, 02:01 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron Horse
Hopefully not too silly a question. My wife stands 4'8" in her stocking'd feet. She wants an older english style 3 speed to ride with me on mine. So far in my searches I have found two. A couple years ago I found a Gazelle Piet Pelle laser. 24 x 1 3/8 tires, single speed. It fits her well, but weighs a figurative ton! Needless to say, she hasn't ridden it much. I also found a 5 speed something or other (I forget the name), but upon getting it, it weighs more than the Gazelle! What I am wanting to know is, are there any others out there that don't weigh 45 pounds empty? All of her bikes have the 24 inch wheels, so I know options are limited, but it's what she would like. She has tried small framed modern bikes, but doesn't like them much. She says they're out of proportion. Ha! Anyhoo, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
My daughter had a Raleigh Space Rider, 24 x 1-3/8 tires, 16" frame. She rode it at Lake Pepin for a few years:

Her legs were too long once she got to about 5 feet tall, so she has a 19 1/2 Dunelt now. I was going to sell this bike, but the howling from my wife and daughter stopped me.

Not sure of the weight, but I can check. It's not exactly light, but it's not 45 pounds, either. One of these may work for your wife.
Old 06-28-19, 06:33 PM
paulb_in_bkln

If you mean the roadster with rod brakes, I can't help. But a Sports style three speed with cable operated brakes, Raleigh made the Space Rider, with 24 inch wheels and smaller frame. It came with the coaster brake version of the three speed, so you might want to build a new rear wheel with a regular AW, but otherwise, it's a good Sports style Raleigh that you can use as is or modernize just like you can the bigger ones.
Old 06-28-19, 06:34 PM
paulb_in_bkln

Oops I see see GNA got there before me.
Old 06-28-19, 06:40 PM
Iron Horse

Bikes: Western Flyer, Schwinn, Rollfast, Gambles, J.C. Higgins, Waverley, Crescent, Hercules, Nishiki, Huffy, Mohawk, AMF, Electra, A ridable replica hi-wheel and a few others.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 19 Posts
3speedslow,
thank you for that idea! After showing her several examples, she reminded me she already has a folding bike.... Oh well...

Gna,
She told me that bike exactly the style she is looking for. Which means for me, I now know a name to start my searches anew. Thank you for giving me another avenue to explore! Here's to being hopeful for fruition!

Thank you gentlemen!
Old 06-28-19, 07:03 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 602 Posts
Finally got to give the LTD-3 a better look and hosed the worst of the grime off it. Date on the AW is "77" so no more doubt about it's age. A little touch up and a coat or 2 of clear and the paint will look pretty good. I aired up the tires and with full pressure they don't look so great so new rubber is top on the list. I fiddled with the shifter and did get all 3 gears at one time or another just not in any particular order LOL but the hub felt good. Different stem and bars are a high priority as well along with a taller seat post. The original saddle is crumbling as I write, planned to replace it with a B-67 anyway. Rust on the rims is worse than I thought but I'll do what I can with them. Might be time to jump into the exciting world of home wheel building. Bottom line is that I like it and will be keeping it.

Old 06-28-19, 08:51 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
What is her leg length? Leg extension is the issue with frame size and on my wife's ladies' frame 19" Raleigh Sports (full size with 26 x 1 3/8 wheels) the minimum measurement from top of pedal to top of seat is about 29". You might "add some shortness" by using a thinner seat or flipping the seat clamp. Karen has decided that her health problems mean she won't be riding so we'll be selling off her fleetlet and this bike is the blue one in the center.

Last edited by thumpism; 06-28-19 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-28-19, 09:01 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
3speedslow,
thank you for that idea! After showing her several examples, she reminded me she already has a folding bike.... Oh well...

Gna,
She told me that bike exactly the style she is looking for. Which means for me, I now know a name to start my searches anew. Thank you for giving me another avenue to explore! Here's to being hopeful for fruition!

Thank you gentlemen!
Raleigh also had the Colt, which has 26" wheels, and the Mountie, as smaller bikes. You could try those, too. I found a Space Rider on eBay for a not-for-the-faint-of-heart price of $595: SPACE RIDER 60 s RALEIGH BICYCLE England GIRLS BIKE One Owner SUPER DUPER COND. | eBay https://ebay.us/fGVwiZ I think those are late '70s decals, though. My daughter's paint is rough, but still I think that price is ridiculous.

I found girl's Colt in Iowa on eBay with a more reasonable price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ral...-/123702274328

My friends at MMRB had a girl's Space Rider a few months ago; I could see if it's still there.

Where in KS are you?

Last edited by gna; 06-28-19 at 09:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.