Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rear Trunk Bag for Narrow Cargo Rack

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-19, 04:56 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

I have a nifty little rack for my roadie; a 'Bontrager Backrack Lightweight' that mounts using the rear skewer.

I realize that this is an "Interchange" type rack that can mount Trek/Bontrager's line of easy off & on racks.

However, I want to get a non-dedicated trunk bag (with standard mounting straps) that I can also use on other racks/bikes.

This rack's width is relatively narrow, about 3.25" at the tail end, 4" at the front so, it's not perfectly rectangular.
--The Ortlieb Trunk (with the smart adjustable gizmos underneath) does not fit due to the non-rectangularity of the rack.

Any suggestions for a sleek (non-shoebox) designed bag would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by michaelm101; 06-27-19 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 05:56 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I like these guys: https://www.axiomgear.com/products/bags/trunk-bags/

You can find them cheaper on the web.
Old 06-27-19, 09:18 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
I like the Banjo Bros rack top bags. Inexpensive and well built. I use the rack top expanding bag for commuting.
Old 06-27-19, 10:05 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
I own this exact MEC model. The Banjo boys ones look good too.

MEC's catologue still stocks that bag but the design is slighlty different now.
Old 06-28-19, 10:23 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,211 Times in 2,361 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101
I have a nifty little rack for my roadie; a 'Bontrager Backrack Lightweight' that mounts using the rear skewer.

I realize that this is an "Interchange" type rack that can mount Trek/Bontrager's line of easy off & on racks.

However, I want to get a non-dedicated trunk bag (with standard mounting straps) that I can also use on other racks/bikes.

This rack's width is relatively narrow, about 3.25" at the tail end, 4" at the front so, it's not perfectly rectangular.
--The Ortlieb Trunk (with the smart adjustable gizmos underneath) does not fit due to the non-rectangularity of the rack.

Any suggestions for a sleek (non-shoebox) designed bag would be greatly appreciated
The Ortlieb Rack Lock system should work on just about any rack. The locking tabs adjust independently so you should be able to adjust for a rack that isn’t square. Just move the front tabs inboard a little.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-29-19, 02:18 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The Ortlieb Rack Lock system should work on just about any rack. The locking tabs adjust independently so you should be able to adjust for a rack that isn’t square. Just move the front tabs inboard a little.
Thx. That's a nice waterproof bag, but I contacted Ortlieb and they advised against it for this rack, as well as for my Topeak racks...
I examined the Ortlieb Rack Loc video and it appears the clip-locks move independently in pairs, left & right, and unfortunately, not front & rear.

Last edited by michaelm101; 06-29-19 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-29-19, 08:55 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Thx. That's a nice waterproof bag, but I contacted Ortlieb and they advised against it for this rack, as well as for my Topeak racks...
I examined the Ortlieb Rack Loc video and it appears the clip-locks move independently in pairs, left & right, and unfortunately, not front & rear.
If you have an REI nearby, you could try it to see if it would work. Tubus makes racks that aren’t square either. For example there is a 1/2” difference between the front and back of the Vega. The Fly has a 1” difference. The Ortlieb bags are designed to fit on Tubus racks.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-29-19 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-01-19, 12:04 PM
michaelm101

If you have an REI nearby, you could try it to see if it would work. Tubus makes racks that aren’t square either. For example there is a 1/2” difference between the front and back of the Vega. The Fly has a 1” difference. The Ortlieb bags are designed to fit on Tubus racks.
Great idea! Thx...
Old 07-02-19, 06:15 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Arkel Tailrider for me and my wife. We love them, and they fit quite a large volume.

Old 07-02-19, 06:56 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I just last night added a narrow seat post rack on my road bike and put a bag on it. I decided to affix it permanently, and so not much point in buying something with mounting brackets, quick releases, and so on. A light bag/pack, coroplast cut and shaped inside it for a semi-aero look, ziptied down and done. The look is more sleek and less bulky and not as boxy, and likely lighter, than retail trunk bags IMO. I could fill the whole bag up if I want and it would still be secure but the 4 or 5 inches height of the sides is mostly enough.

I'll maybe post up some pictures later, but the DIY route is something to consider. I've used the bag for years, basically zero cost, and start to finish took about half an hour, so who cares if it's out in the weather - no reason to remove it.
Old 07-12-19, 10:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
'Bontrager Backrack Lightweight'
might as well contact these ppl & ask them what bag goes with that rack

https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/

& these guys say that rack is compatible with Interchange trunk bags

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-12-19 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-12-19, 10:48 AM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
might as well contact these ppl & ask them what bag goes with that rack

https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/

& these guys say that rack is compatible with Interchange trunk bags

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black
Thx. I owned a Trek Interchange style bag in the past and it kept falling off the rack when I hit bumps.
Old 07-12-19, 11:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Thx. I owned a Trek Interchange style bag in the past and it kept falling off the rack when I hit bumps.
oh OK, that's too bad. FWIW even tho my trunk bags have generic Velcro straps I also always use 1 or 2 short bungee cords for security. I can also tuck a jacket, hat or rain cover under the bungee

I think I got this little Bell brand trunk at Walmart

that wire extension is for when I use a bigger & longer trunk

one side of this trunk's velcro straps eventually tore so I snaked a short bungee into the slot to hold it in place. but not I have a length of 2-sided velcro that runs thru that slot

this was an oldie but goodie. it was def. wider than my racks. cheap bag I got at a low end bike shop for $15. lasted very well thru a cpl years of commuting & still gets use now. I just have to lube the zippers every now & then

this trunk holds quite a lot & is almost always wider than any of my racks. velcro straps are OK but if they don't match up / line with the slots in your racks, if you have slots, then it may need some extra connectivity

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-12-19 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-12-19, 01:48 PM
AZF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Arkel Tailrider for me and my wife. We love them, and they fit quite a large volume.
I use the same bag and have the same rack as the OP. Great combination and the bag is awesome. I also use Arkel panniers.
Likes For AZF:
Old 07-12-19, 05:17 PM
rumrunn6

That is a nice bag. Good looking too
Old 07-12-19, 07:00 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
For the longest time, I was searching for the perfect rack trunk. But they were always too small for what I needed to carry, like changes of clothes, lunch, laptop and repair kit for comuting to work.

I tried duffel backs but I just didn't like the bungee cord method because you'd have to undo it just take out a jacket or something. I wanted to look for bags that already had side loops so they could strapped or bungeed down without interfering with any zippers. Nobody makes bags like that. Even mounting a knap sack was cumbersome because the shoulder straps would dangle all over the place.

Finally, I settled for the Arkel combination panier/backpack. It's a panier that's big enough for all the things I needed to carry and when you take it off the bike, you unzip to take the backpack shoulder straps out. It even has a loose pocket to store your helmet.
Old 07-25-19, 03:24 AM
gequiroga

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
www amazon com/Roswheel-Resistant-Convertible-Bicycle-Pannier/dp/B07CKZ4SH6/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_468_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=J59PCH6RQ0M0NWEQZBEH

I can recommend this one, really good quality, very water resistant and with a versatile system of straps to fix to the rack. The straps have velcro and also interlock above the bag so it's 100% secure. Mine has over two years of daily use including commuting and dirt road riding and it's still in excellent condition.
The link is the first one I saw. You can get it cheaper I'm sure.
Old 07-25-19, 06:18 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
I like the Banjo Bros rack top bags. Inexpensive and well built. I use the rack top expanding bag for commuting.
I have one of their basic $35 trunk bags and like it very much. It doesn't hold a lot, just extra tubes, mini-pump, my tool roll, with room for a lunch and a few more things. It is sleek, though, and easy on and off.
Old 07-25-19, 08:53 AM
cyccommute 

The Trek Interchange seems to use a variant of the Rixen Kaul Klickfix system. I wonder if you aren't engaging the catch enough to keep it from coming off. Perhaps a little bit of sandpaper surgery would make it work better.

On the other hand, Rixen Kaul seem to have a new system that might be worth investigating. It's called the "UniKlip" system and looks similar to the Ortlieb system but perhaps a bit simpler.

My solution to the problem that I hit upon about 10 years ago was the Ortlieb basket mount and rack top adapter. The basket mount is bolted to a Racktime Trunk-it (it has a stiff bottom) and the basket mount just clicks into the adapter which is clamped to the top of the rack. I've ridden off-road with it containing a fair amount of stuff and never had it even so much as wiggle. I don't usually use the side pieces for panniers as I don't need them. Here it is in action

DSCN0387 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

The rack adapter

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

The basket adapter

The picture above is for a micro pannier system I designed for bike packing using a couple of front handlebar pockets

I can't put on a rack bag when I have my seatbag on there

DSCN1255 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

so the micro panniers mount a little lower and give me just a little more cargo room.

This system is far better, in my opinion, than any velcro system I've ever used...and had to go back and pick up.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-25-19, 10:30 AM
here hold my ha

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
The Trek Interchange seems to use a variant of the Rixen Kaul Klickfix system. I wonder if you aren't engaging the catch enough to keep it from coming off. Perhaps a little bit of sandpaper surgery would make it work better.
I had a Trek basket on my Trek rack that kept coming off. After the first time I assumed I hadn't clicked it in properly. After the second, I knew darn well I had and was aggravated, but was upgrading my bike and agreed to try it on there (same rack, but whatever). After the third and fourth — in the same ride — I took it back. All the guys at the shop could say is, "I've never had one do that. I don't know how it can be doing that", but all the scuffs on the corners proved it spent a lot of time hitting pavement.

I did miss it, though, so now I have a nice wire basket bungee'd to my rack. Prettier than a milk crate.