Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for top-notch C&V painter for Raleigh Pro top tube repaint

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-19, 10:35 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts

I've come to understand that the paint on the top tube of my '75 Raleigh Pro has had it and it needs the skills of a pro (pun not intended) to fix it.

That said, it's been a while since I've been in the C&V field and I know a lot of painters have come and gone. Hence, I'd like to pick the brain of the forum, as I have some reasonably specific demands of the person chosen for the job:
  • The painter has to be skilled in the ability of doing a top tube respray between lugs.
  • The painter has to know how to mask off lugs correctly so the new paint doesn't clump at the lug edge.
  • The painter has to know how to match the original color passably.
  • The painter has to know how to spray THIN single-stage that looks more or less like the crap paint that Raleigh used to spray.
  • No flakes who can't keep a deadline.
Anyone known for thick and/or over-glossy paint jobs need not be a consideration, because that's hack work IMHO.

Examples would be great - leads to contact the painter, even better.

-Kurt

Old 06-29-19, 12:27 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,390 Times in 759 Posts
I've never had a frame painted, partial or complete. That said, these two names come up frequently:You may know Bob Freeman from Classic Rendezvous (now retired owner of the closed Elliott Bay Cycles in Seattle). I believe for the past couple years he's been sending most/all his restorations to Franklin for paint. You'll have to pick through things, but Bob's Flickr albums are full of his restoration work. I suspect some of the descriptions will identify the painter.
Old 06-29-19, 01:18 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Just curious, are you willing to ship it to get the job done?
Old 06-29-19, 01:20 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Litton is Merz's go to but Jim gets very good service if you know what I mean.

Spectrum, Waterford, Chester Cycles and Yellow Jersey also come to mind.

Black Magic, Hot Tubes, Joe Bell and Cycle Art as well.

Yep, Bob uses Franklin.

Last edited by merziac; 06-29-19 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-29-19, 01:31 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
Don't be surprised if high end painters tell you they won't do that, paint only the top tube. They can't very well be known for doing it right if they let customers tell them how to do it.
Old 06-29-19, 02:00 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by smontanaro
I've never had a frame painted, partial or complete. That said, these two names come up frequently:You may know Bob Freeman from Classic Rendezvous (now retired owner of the closed Elliott Bay Cycles in Seattle). I believe for the past couple years he's been sending most/all his restorations to Franklin for paint. You'll have to pick through things, but Bob's Flickr albums are full of his restoration work. I suspect some of the descriptions will identify the painter.
Perfect, thanks.

Originally Posted by delbiker1
Just curious, are you willing to ship it to get the job done?
Yes. I certainly don't expect to find these skills available locally. Granted, Gary Cole was local, but he's retired.

Originally Posted by merziac
Litton is Merz's go to but Jim gets very good service if you know what I mean.

Spectrum, Waterford, Chester Cycles and Yellow Jersey also come to mind.

Black Magic, Hot Tubes, Joe Bell and Cycle Art as well.

Yep, Bob uses Franklin.
I'll weed through these, thanks! Question though...Waterford would do a Raleigh?

P.S.: CycleArt's jobs usually look like they're dumped in clear honey. Not a fan.

Originally Posted by AngryFrankie
Don't be surprised if high end painters tell you they won't do that, paint only the top tube. They can't very well be known for doing it right if they let customers tell them how to do it.
It's been done before, and I've seen a few examples of just that by Gary Cole. I'd rather let the individual painter tell me what their personal recommendations are given the particular bike and its paint damage.

-Kurt

Old 06-29-19, 02:02 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by cudak888
Perfect, thanks.

Yes. I certainly don't expect to find these skills available locally. Granted, Gary Cole was local, but he's retired.

I'll weed through these, thanks! Question though...Waterford would do a Raleigh?

P.S.: CycleArt's jobs usually look like they're dumped in clear honey. Not a fan.

It's been done before, and I've seen a few examples of just that by Gary Cole. I'd rather let the individual painter tell me what their personal recommendations are given the particular bike and its paint damage.

-Kurt
I think so, maybe not, agreed on Cycleart.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-29-19, 02:10 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
Good luck. That is one bike that I'd love to own one day, one of those Raleigh Pros. The paint aesthetics are a very big part of their attraction, the color and such.
Likes For AngryFrankie:
Old 06-29-19, 04:09 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
Those were my thoughts exactly. If it were me, I'd go full resto. Actually, if it were really me, I'd find some Italian bike with fast geometry to restore.
I though Pro MkIv's had pretty aggressive geometry?

And of all the painters mentioned, I can personally recommend Franklin. They do a great job.
Old 06-29-19, 04:17 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by AngryFrankie
Good luck. That is one bike that I'd love to own one day, one of those Raleigh Pros. The paint aesthetics are a very big part of their attraction, the color and such.
That's why I wound up with this one. It took me 8 years to wind up with a Mk.V that I found locally, and it took another 6 for the Mk.IV to make itself known, and I've been aching to have one since I saw one.

Originally Posted by onyerleft
Those were my thoughts exactly. If it were me, I'd go full resto. Actually, if it were really me, I'd find some Italian bike with fast geometry to restore.

I thought that Joe Bell had passed. Maybe I'm confusing him with another painter, not gonna Google it.
I'd rather it have all the scrapes and dull finish that I'd expect from factory. But hey, I'd be farting around with a 1972 Colnago Super if I had one. But I don't.

Originally Posted by jeirvine
I though Pro MkIv's had pretty aggressive geometry?

And of all the painters mentioned, I can personally recommend Franklin. They do a great job.
Anything but. They were ancient holdovers of the 1960's when they were being sold in the 1970's. Relatively speaking, I'd say it's relaxed - with lots of fork rake.

The Mk.V's were much more aggressive - and if mine is of any indication, it feels like it too.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 06-29-19 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-29-19, 08:07 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Al Wanta in Clearwater. He repainted the top tube of my Pelizzoli after brazing on cable guides and did a perfect job. Impressive, especially when you consider that the color is a Euro-only Daihatsu color.
Old 06-29-19, 10:03 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by rccardr
Al Wanta in Clearwater. He repainted the top tube of my Pelizzoli after brazing on cable guides and did a perfect job. Impressive, especially when you consider that the color is a Euro-only Daihatsu color.
That's some glowing praise right there - also saw some of his work on his site. Looks excellent.

I reached out to him. Kinda like the idea of it being in the same state...easier to chase after him if it goes wrong

-Kurt

Old 06-29-19, 10:23 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Waterford just posted a Raleigh Pro they restored.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzMfJpVF...=1w7gy6z8awqcl

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 06-29-19 at 10:26 PM.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 06-29-19, 10:28 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzMfJpVF...=1w7gy6z8awqcl

Old 06-29-19, 11:32 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Looks very nice, if a bit glossy - but not distractingly so. Very beautiful. Wonder why they omitted the gold headlug lining.

Still...shame on them for that dull, Craigslist-fresh headbadge and those screws in place of the factory rivets. That's a huge oversight after all that work on the frame, and it's front and center in this picture

If anything, I'm partial to the job they did on the Lou Sebo '60 Paramount for @Ct03911 (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...early-60s.html). If there's one thing Waterford does know, it's their heritage.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 06-29-19 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 12:06 AM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
That's some glowing praise right there - also saw some of his work on his site. Looks excellent.

I reached out to him. Kinda like the idea of it being in the same state...easier to chase after him if it goes wrong

-Kurt
Trust me, if he and I had lived in the same state after I recieved my Merckx back, he'd still be pulling it out...................
Old 06-30-19, 01:37 AM
merziac

Looks very nice, if a bit glossy - but not distractingly so. Very beautiful. Wonder why they omitted the gold headlug lining.

Still...shame on them for that dull, Craigslist-fresh headbadge and those screws in place of the factory rivets. That's a huge oversight after all that work on the frame, and it's front and center in this picture

If anything, I'm partial to the job they did on the Lou Sebo '60 Paramount for @Ct03911 (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...early-60s.html). If there's one thing Waterford does know, it's their heritage.

-Kurt
H**Y CRAP!, no kidding, hopefully the headbadge isn't done, a simple cleaning and even some smaller screws would go a long way.
Old 06-30-19, 06:08 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
For C&V paint touch-ups, I highly recommend Duane at chestercycles.com. He's done several frames for me, including one full repaint and his work is superb. He's in southern Wisconsin now, just moved from the Chicago area.

Here's a before and after of his work:

UPDATE: The three Duane touched up will be at Coppi, 2 Lemonds and a Masi. The full repaint he did on the Pinarello will be there too. Duane is planning to be there as well, so you can talk directly to him.

Last edited by speedevil; 06-30-19 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-30-19, 08:49 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by nesteel
Trust me, if he and I had lived in the same state after I recieved my Merckx back, he'd still be pulling it out...................
DM sent. Not sure I follow.

Originally Posted by merziac
H**Y CRAP!, no kidding, hopefully the headbadge isn't done, a simple cleaning and even some smaller screws would go a long way.
I wonder how badly the screws have galled the holes where the blind rivets belong (interesting how Carlton used blind rivets, but Raleigh used solids for the most part).

Originally Posted by speedevil
For C&V paint touch-ups, I highly recommend Duane at chestercycles.com. He's done several frames for me, including one full repaint and his work is superb. He's in southern Wisconsin now, just moved from the Chicago area.

Here's a before and after of his work:

UPDATE: The three Duane touched up will be at Coppi, 2 Lemonds and a Masi. The full repaint he did on the Pinarello will be there too. Duane is planning to be there as well, so you can talk directly to him.
Will touch base with him. Thanks.

-Kurt

Old 06-30-19, 11:16 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Al Wanta is extremely good people. I have never used him for a paint, but he hooked me up with restore decals for a Bruce Gordon I have. Extremely good to deal with and his portfolio is really great.

Wanta Frames

I like Groody Bros in Kansas City as well. Powder Coat though, it'd be a total paint job.
Old 06-30-19, 12:32 PM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by speedevil
For C&V paint touch-ups, I highly recommend Duane at chestercycles.com.
I believe Duane retired and moved out of state. I contacted him a couple months ago about installing some decals. He said he was closing and moving out of state in a couple weeks.

Either that or he didn't want to install my decals.
Old 06-30-19, 08:40 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Duane moved to Wisconsin and was initially going to do only touch-up. He's now got a paint booth set up and told me that he will do a limited number of full repaints in addition to touch-up work.

He was winding things down in anticipation of the move, I had to hurry and get my frame to him so he could finish it before the booth was disassembled.

He's definitely still doing the work. And great work it is.
Likes For speedevil:
Old 07-01-19, 05:27 AM
smontanaro 

That's good to hear.