Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot UO8 bottom bracket conversion

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-19, 07:44 AM
katzenfinch

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Recently I got a 1972 (I think) Peugeot UO8 that had been the victim of an unsuccessful attempt to hammer out the crank cotters. A friend with a torch managed to get them out, but now I need to replace the crankset.

I’d like to go to a cotterless square-taper spindle and use a vintage Stronglight or TA crankset. My immediate problem is that I don’t know what size spindle to get — 115mm, 118mm, or something else. Any advice?
Old 07-05-19, 08:10 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by katzenfinch
Recently I got a 1972 (I think) Peugeot UO8 that had been the victim of an unsuccessful attempt to hammer out the crank cotters. A friend with a torch managed to get them out, but now I need to replace the crankset.

I’d like to go to a cotterless square-taper spindle and use a vintage Stronglight or TA crankset. My immediate problem is that I don’t know what size spindle to get — 115mm, 118mm, or something else. Any advice?
Spindle size depends on the crank you're using. Each crank has its own spindle size recommendation, although you can vary it slightly depending on the chainline and chainstay clearance. So choose a crank first and then choose your bottom bracket. VeloBase is a good resource for crank manufacturer recommendations on spindle size, although it doesn't have everything. You can also ask here once you get your crank if you can't find the BB length info online.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 07-05-19, 09:52 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
French cups are available on Amazon for all of $12:

https://www.amazon.com/Action-Bottom...gateway&sr=8-1

But then you still need to track down a spindle. You might be able to get away with using the existing cups.

Here is a thread on this:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...otterless.html
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-05-19, 10:37 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Find yourself a copy of Sutherland's Handbook for Bicycle Mechanics. There is a chapter on bottom brackets that has a comprehensive discussion of spindle parameters and spindle/cup interchangeability. I can say that using your old cups with a new spindle may be complicated because spindles are designed for a certain cup thickness (which, no surprise, is not universal). There is way more info in Sutherland's than can be easily posted here.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 07-05-19, 10:47 AM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
If you want to avoid the hassle, look into Velo Orange's French bottom bracket or threadless bottom bracket + spindle.
It's sealed and I would say affordable. Then all you would have to do is look for a crankset to match it.
But measure the spindle first.
Likes For BikeWonder:
Old 07-06-19, 09:40 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
My AO-8 is my experiment bike - I swap stuff around on it all the time for fun. I first converted to cotterless in 1974 using a Sugino Mighty Comp crank. I still have the Sugino cups (marked P1x35), but found it easy to use the original cups. The spindle I use for cotterless is marked 3S2 and it measures 125mm from end of square taper to end of square taper, 53mm between bearing faces. Worked fine for decades.
Likes For markk900:
Old 07-07-19, 06:19 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

@katzenfinch: If you could measure your current spindle to get the dimension shown as "B" in the drawing below, I could look at my reference books and give you some ideas about what might work for you.

One thing to consider is that vintage TA and Stronglight cranks may not fit well on spindles of other manufacturers. The taper angle is the same, but the taper end size and the taper length may be different enough cause problems.

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 07-07-19 at 06:52 AM.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 07-07-19, 09:34 AM
katzenfinch

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614

@Moe Zhoost: Thanks! It’s 55mm.
Old 07-08-19, 03:15 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

@Moe Zhoost: Thanks! It’s 55mm.
I found a reference for the Peugeot U08 spindle: 145 total length, 55 center, 43 left side, 47 right so that matches what you have. I found some spindles with a center measurement close to yours: Nervar 117 or 121, TA 344 or 373, or Stronglight 118/120/121/or 123; however there will be some issues using your same cups. First, the Peugeot spindles are slightly smaller in diameter at the shoulder of the bearing race. Second, the cup bearing races are smaller in diameter than other manufacturers. This will force the bearing balls to run on a different track on the spindle race. Certainly not optimum, though you may be able to get away with it.

The bottom line is that I'd recommend that you pick your crank first and then select a complete BB by the same manufacturer (though Stronglight cranks will work on TA axles). Proper spindle length will very between manufacturers since cranks don't mount a uniform distance on the taper. All of the spindle numbers I referenced above are for double cranks. The Stronglight 121 is specific to Peugeot with 5 arm cranks.

Hope this helps. Also, stay away from JIS spec bottom brackets if you plan to use TA or Stronglight Cranks, they just won't work.

Let us know how it goes.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 07-08-19, 07:17 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
...Also, stay away from JIS spec bottom brackets if you plan to use TA or Stronglight Cranks, they just won't work...

I've never had any problem using a BB with JIS spindle with an old Stronglight crank, though the bigger taper will result in the spindle acting longer than it is to the tune of 2.5mm per side. Not always a bad thing when an older crankset's square taper holes may have enlarged very slightly from years of use.

However, typical aftermarket bottom brackets are symmetrical, unlike the original French ones which typically are offset slightly to the right side.

With all of this factored in, I got a perfect chainline fit with an old Stronglight 93 double crank using a 115mm Shimano bottom bracket, which was symmetrical.
Most cartridge bottom brackets allow for slight offsetting using a fixed-cup spacer of 1-2mm, so no need to err on the long side when selecting a bb, especially when the chainstays of the old UO8's have clearancing features pressed into them.
Likes For dddd:
Old 07-09-19, 01:45 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
If you could find them, the Stronglight TS crankset and bottom bracket from a uo10 should work on your uo8.
Old 09-29-19, 07:08 PM
katzenfinch

C’est fini!

Here’s how it turned out. I guess the wingnuts make it an AO-8? In any case, it’s a nice ride.
Old 09-29-19, 08:09 PM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 138 Posts

Here’s how it turned out. I guess the wingnuts make it an AO-8? In any case, it’s a nice ride.
Looks good too ! Nice work and Congrats
Old 09-29-19, 08:14 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
If the cups are good you can use a JIS offset spindle and crank set with a loose ball just fine. You can find these on most 70's Japanese bikes which can be had cheap or or cranksets with BB ebay or here on the BF about $30.
Old 09-29-19, 10:24 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Looks good OP! the lack of chrome on the fork is also a tell that its an A series and not a U or something higher. If you haven'r already check out Bike boom Peugeot as a reference I did a conversion once on a UO-8 with a JIS spindle after reading an article on Sheldon Brown's site, if I was to do another one I would take the Velo Orance sealed bb route.