Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

A slight variation on No Motor's current thread

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 07-11-19, 09:25 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts

Do you drive to a parking lot and then ride to work? If so, how far is the drive and then how far is the cycling portion?

If you could drive to a parking lot adjacent to a MUP, would you commute to work more often? If so, how far would you consider driving to get to the parking lot?

I'm looking for data (albeit not perfect) for a local presentation.

Thank you.
Old 07-11-19, 09:47 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
Do you drive to a parking lot and then ride to work? If so, how far is the drive and then how far is the cycling portion?

If you could drive to a parking lot adjacent to a MUP, would you commute to work more often? If so, how far would you consider driving to get to the parking lot?

Thank you.
My typical commute is a 15 mile drive to a parking lot and a 15 mile ride to work. If the weather is bad, I can park on the street closer to work, making for a 10 mile ride. Occasionally I ride the entire 30 miles each way, or I leave my car at work, ride 30 miles home, and ride back in the morning. If the traffic is bad, sometimes I park on the street a couple miles farther away, making for a 17 mile one way commute. The area I usually park at is on a MUP. There are many car and bike routes to work, so the one I choose depends on many factors, but proximity to a MUP is very important.
Old 07-12-19, 12:33 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I’d only consider it if there were no parking at work and the lot was free
Old 07-12-19, 08:01 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I don't own a car. Car ownership in NYC is hell. Driving and parking here are hell. Most households here don't own cars.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-12-19, 08:02 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I don't see the point of this. (Though I'm not bothered by anyone who does it. More power to them.)

Seems like it would be easier to just drive the whole way to work then come home earlier and go for a leisure ride.

Once I'm in the car or on the bike, I'm staying there.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 07-12-19, 09:43 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I had wondered about that too, but didn't want to complicate the poll I used by asking for total distance. I've read others here mention the multimodal commute before,but didn't anticipate the guy who rode and rollerbladed for his commute.
Old 07-12-19, 02:12 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I don't see the point of this. (Though I'm not bothered by anyone who does it. More power to them.)

Seems like it would be easier to just drive the whole way to work then come home earlier and go for a leisure ride.

If you lived in the DC suburbs and had to cross the Potomac River, you would understand. Takes about 10 minutes more on average riding a bike 15 miles of my commute than it does driving. Sometimes if traffic is really light, I’ll drive all the way and ride after work, but that is pretty rare. Sometimes, such as yesterday, a major commuter road was closed due to a sinkhole, which made things even worse. On my bike, I breezed past all the traffic jams to where I parked, and the roads from there to my house were clear.
Old 07-12-19, 02:34 PM
yamsyamsyams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
I work at multiple sites for my company, all within driving / bussing / riding distance 10-30 miles depending on location. On occasion I'll drive to one site, take my bike on the bus to go to a second site, and ride home from there.

The following day I'll ride to the first site, and drive home.

This allows me to be flexible in the scenery and still get in my "commuting training" rides while fitting in multiple meetings and making the best use of my company time. Not to mention it impresses the co-workers. However it does take a ton of pre-planning as it's not a simple task.
Old 07-14-19, 08:33 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts

In Delaware, we have no subways and the bus service is very lacking if you're traveling outside of the Wilmington City limits.
I live 38 miles from work and can't do the whole commute by bike due to time and roads. I'll often drive 25 miles, park and bike the last 13 miles. If I lived closer, I'd happily pedal back and forth. Many people here live a fair distance from work. If I still lived in NYC, or another large city, I probably wouldn't bother with a car much like noglider.

In Delaware, we have people with opposing views regarding spending money on road improvement and accessibility versus recreational path (MUP) development. I posed the original question to see if paved path access with parking would enhance commuting, realizing that such a survey here is not scientific or conclusive.
Old 07-15-19, 06:35 AM
Aletifer

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Track, 2017 Fuji Cross 1.5, 2019 Cannondale Quick NEO

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MAK

Thank you.
My commute is currently ridiculous.

To work: drive 30 miles to a parking lot, ride about 11 in.
From work: ride about 11, drive about 15.

But, I'm moving soon.
Old 07-15-19, 07:28 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
we have one of those in Bedford. was thinking I could drive there then bike to work more regularly than biking all the way from home. it would cut the round trip cycling part from 44 miles to approx 20 miles. I should try it on a quite Saturday morning. the lot is also on a protected path part dirt but mostly paved. if I worked in that direction, it might be handy for that as well

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-15-19 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-15-19, 08:00 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,624 Times in 944 Posts
Drive ~20 to park & ride
Ride ~7.5 to work

MUP wouldn't help. Non driving days are Dr appts, too much junk to haul, etc.
Old 07-15-19, 01:25 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
I sometimes do a multimodal commute like this. When I do, it's about a 2-4 mile drive to the park and ride (depending on which one I choose) and then a 6-8 mile bike ride to work. I do this mainly in the winter so that I have the option of taking light rail most of the way back to the park and ride if it's raining. I don't like to ride in the rain after dark. Sometimes I do it just because I'm feeling lazy.

It would definitely be easier to just stay in the car, but I don't bike to work because it's easier. I do it because it's more enjoyable.
Old 07-15-19, 05:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I don't see the point of this.
Parking is the key. That's why I mentioned it above. Parking at my workplace is free and plentiful, because there used to be many thousands of employees here 50 years ago and now there's hundreds; and the sprawl hasn't eaten us yet for various reasons. I live close enough to ride straight from home. But if I lived 20 miles away, and there were no parking, it would be something to think about.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-15-19, 06:17 PM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Parking is the key. That's why I mentioned it above. Parking at my workplace is free and plentiful, because there used to be many thousands of employees here 50 years ago and now there's hundreds; and the sprawl hasn't eaten us yet for various reasons. I live close enough to ride straight from home. But if I lived 20 miles away, and there were no parking, it would be something to think about.
Fair enough

I work in the suburbs. Parking is never an issue.

But I can see how working in a place like Washington DC, where parking sucks 24/7/365, would make splitting the commute type a viable option
Old 07-15-19, 06:35 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
I did the drive/ride thing for a short period when first experimenting with commuting. Guessing the drive was about 7 miles from home and the ride about 17. Parked in a park adjacent to MUP, although MUP wasn't very significant portion of remainder it got me deep into cross town residential. The drive leap frogged me past a section of nasty high density rush hour traffic on the home side. Eventually I tested out taking my bike on light rail. That was 4 bike miles to station, 4 on the rail, then 17 more on bike. In the end there was one last stretch on the work side I had too many close calls with and quit. The area is very industrialized with few options. I looked at various bus routes through that stretch, but the scheduling sucked and I just decided it wasn't a high enough priority. The additional time I spent riding was worth it, but not waiting around for 'connectors' making it longer yet.

Driving part way was never as satisfying as being completely car free for a day.
Old 07-16-19, 05:44 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts

Same here, it seems that the marginal cost, one already driving, of a few extra miles is quite low. I ride both ways, the whole distance.

Now if the center miles were on the metro, or a bus, that I could understand.
Old 07-16-19, 06:30 AM
Aletifer

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Track, 2017 Fuji Cross 1.5, 2019 Cannondale Quick NEO

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alan s
If you lived in the DC suburbs and had to cross the Potomac River, you would understand. Takes about 10 minutes more on average riding a bike 15 miles of my commute than it does driving. Sometimes if traffic is really light, I’ll drive all the way and ride after work, but that is pretty rare. Sometimes, such as yesterday, a major commuter road was closed due to a sinkhole, which made things even worse. On my bike, I breezed past all the traffic jams to where I parked, and the roads from there to my house were clear.
That's part of it for me. I park just outside of where the beltway gets clogged and bike in from there. However, because of the distance I'd say that the time savings is almost a wash for me.

But I can't really ride when I get home. I have to pick my daughter up from daycare, and when I get home my wife and I have to take care of her and work on our house (we're fixing it up to sell). So it's either ride during the day, or not at all and wait for weekend mornings. Which I don't want to do, so multi-modal it is.
Old 07-16-19, 06:37 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by Aletifer
That's part of it for me. I park just outside of where the beltway gets clogged and bike in from there. However, because of the distance I'd say that the time savings is almost a wash for me.
It may take the same amount of time to ride into DC as drive.

But think of the savings to your sanity by not having to deal with stop and go DC traffic nearly as much.

If you can average 10mph on a bike in city traffic you feel like you're flying.

But if you average 10mph in a car in city traffic it feels like trying to run through mud and is the most aggravating thing on the planet

ANYTHING that prevents you from having to drive inside the DC beltway is a good thing. Plus you don't have to park once you get there.
Old 07-16-19, 07:06 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
There's a parking lot adjacent to a popular multi use trail on my commute. It's only 3 miles away from home and a bit off my route so I just bike the whole way. No sense of driving the car that short of a distance to park and bike.
Old 07-16-19, 07:37 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Plus you don't have to park once you get there.
which must come with a fee ...?
Old 07-16-19, 07:40 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by locolobo13
Drive ~20 to park & ride // Ride ~7.5 to work
this seems like an ideal or perfect reason for doing so. but can you add: why you bike at all?
Old 07-16-19, 07:53 AM
alan s 

Originally Posted by Aletifer

But I can't really ride when I get home. I have to pick my daughter up from daycare, and when I get home my wife and I have to take care of her and work on our house (we're fixing it up to sell). So it's either ride during the day, or not at all and wait for weekend mornings. Which I don't want to do, so multi-modal it is.
I work all the way down in Old Town Alexandria, making driving a little faster, as the last 7 miles are at higher speed against the flow on the GW Parkway. But when I used to work downtown, riding a bike was usually faster than driving, and far less of a headache. The most telling contrast between driving and riding is what I check before heading out. Driving, it’s google maps for traffic, whereas riding, it’s the weather channel.
Old 07-16-19, 07:56 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,624 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
this seems like an ideal or perfect reason for doing so. but can you add: why you bike at all?
'cause.

At the last location we were working from, 5 mi each way, I could tell people it was to save money. Now it's not so clear. 20 mi drive vs 27 mi drive not saving so much. And when you include the time out the door, ~5:15 AM to 7ish PM...

Let's just admit I ride because it's fun. I'm single, so no wife to worry about. And I need the exercise to stay reasonable healthy and fit.

The longish days are a problem. Trying to treat this as an adventure. Possibly I could move to a closer job. But I've been with my current org since 91. They're like family and it's hard to think about leaving. I can retire in 2-3 yrs.
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 07-16-19, 08:42 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Before I moved I was 25mi from work and it took me 2hr each way. When I started cycling I would drive to work with the bike, ride home, ride back the next morning, and drive home. And do that no more than once a month. But that's parking in the free lot at work, same as regular days.

One time on bike-to-work-day, I scheduled my car's oil change on that day and rode my bike to work like 1mi from the oil change place.

But then I moved 5.5mi away from work and there is no reason to drive partway.

One of the things I say when I occasionally get contacted by headhunters is that I won't consider any new job I can't bike to.

I have daydreamed, it would be pretty awesome to buy one of these condos, and have a job in Mira Mesa or Sorrento Valley, so I could commute on the trail through the canyon every day. If Qualcomm ever comes at me with an unsolicited job offer, I'd really think about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.