Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Return of the Stumpjumper

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-19, 06:27 AM
devinfan

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts

The bike that got me into biking. About 20 years ago I fell in love with this exact same bike, a ‘95 Stumpjumper. It belonged to a coworker of mine and I spent a year haranguing him into selling it to me. I loved that bike and rode it everywhere, and it started a love affair with bikes that continues to this day. Years after I bought it, at which point I had about 10 bikes, a new coworker of mine kept bothering me every day to buy the Stumpy. At this point I had so many bikes I thought I’d pay it forward and sell it to him. I regretted it instantly, but he would never sell it back! Interestingly he caught the bug too and now has his own collection, including the Stumpjumper.

Imagine my delight when this popped up on Kijiji! Drove over 100km yesterday at dawn to get it, all original including the awesome Ummagumma tires and S-works grips. Rides EXACTLY as I remembered. So happy to have this back in the stable.
Old 07-14-19, 06:37 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Lovely. Was it bought at Dukes? And did you take a ride around Wards Island? Man, I miss that part of TO more than anything.
Old 07-14-19, 07:33 AM
devinfan

Originally Posted by clubman
Lovely. Was it bought at Dukes? And did you take a ride around Wards Island? Man, I miss that part of TO more than anything.
Thank you! I love Wards as well. First ride this morning so I just took it out to the Point, a local spot in the Beaches where I live.

Dukes! Back in the day it was either from Dukes or Bloor Cycles. This one was from Spinning Wheels and according to the sticker it’s 100% cool.
Old 07-14-19, 08:06 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by devinfan
Thank you! I love Wards as well. First ride this morning so I just took it out to the Point, a local spot in the Beaches where I live.

Dukes! Back in the day it was either from Dukes or Bloor Cycles. This one was from Spinning Wheels and according to the sticker it’s 100% cool.
Nice stump. I am south of Kingston rd in birch cliff. Are you calling the ashbridges area the point or did you go down to Tommy Thompson ?
Old 07-14-19, 08:47 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

This one was from Spinning Wheels and according to the sticker it’s 100% cool.
They were Cabbagetown cool. All top shelf, racing and cutting edge mtn bikes, they handed out drooling towels at the door.

Originally Posted by Narhay
Nice stump. I am south of Kingston rd in birch cliff. Are you calling the ashbridges area the point or did you go down to Tommy Thompson ?
I was a Beaches guy when they built Ashbridges. What a great ride...I forgot they had a marina there.
Old 07-14-19, 09:42 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts

The bike that got me into biking. About 20 years ago I fell in love with this exact same bike, a ‘95 Stumpjumper. It belonged to a coworker of mine and I spent a year haranguing him into selling it to me. I loved that bike and rode it everywhere, and it started a love affair with bikes that continues to this day. Years after I bought it, at which point I had about 10 bikes, a new coworker of mine kept bothering me every day to buy the Stumpy. At this point I had so many bikes I thought I’d pay it forward and sell it to him. I regretted it instantly, but he would never sell it back! Interestingly he caught the bug too and now has his own collection, including the Stumpjumper.

Imagine my delight when this popped up on Kijiji! Drove over 100km yesterday at dawn to get it, all original including the awesome Ummagumma tires and S-works grips. Rides EXACTLY as I remembered. So happy to have this back in the stable.
That Stumpy is in great shape, with a Flite saddle no less. Are you going to keep it vintage? Stock?

Never had a M2; what's the weight on that if you don't mind me asking? I just fixed up a 92 Comp. Yours is a nicer color than mine.
Old 07-14-19, 10:28 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
Congratulations!!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 07-14-19, 11:12 AM
devinfan

Originally Posted by Narhay
Ashbridges is what we always called the Point growing up. Tommy Thompson we call the Spit!
Old 07-14-19, 11:14 AM
devinfan

[QUOTE=DorkDisk;21026120]That Stumpy is in great shape, with a Flite saddle no less. Are you going to keep it vintage? Stock?

Never had a M2; what's the weight on that if you don't mind me asking? I just fixed up a 92 Comp. Yours is a nicer color than mine.

I’ll have to weigh it. It’s pretty light for a vintage MTB. I feel like it’s a survivor so I’m not touching a thing!
Old 07-14-19, 11:15 AM
devinfan

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Congratulations!!!
Thank you!
Old 07-14-19, 01:47 PM
devinfan

They were Cabbagetown cool. All top shelf, racing and cutting edge mtn bikes, they handed out drooling towels at the door.
That’s interesting, I know Toronto really well and I have no memory of the place! I was in Cabbagetown a fair bit going to the Menagerie pet shop, I must have just not been looking at the time.
Old 07-14-19, 02:44 PM
devinfan

Original grips that match the tires - so cool!
Old 07-14-19, 03:53 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

That’s interesting, I know Toronto really well and I have no memory of the place! I was in Cabbagetown a fair bit going to the Menagerie pet shop, I must have just not been looking at the time.
North side of Carlton, a few stores west of Parliament, near Daniel & Daniel Pastries and a bunny hop from Jet Fuel.. A large-ish shop with first gen Lightspeeds, Rocky Mountain, Specialized, later, Seven Cycles etc. Bob Esplin was a founder, part owner iirc. Too exclusive to survive.
Old 07-14-19, 04:47 PM
devinfan

North side of Carlton, a few stores west of Parliament, near Daniel & Daniel Pastries and a bunny hop from Jet Fuel.. A large-ish shop with first gen Lightspeeds, Rocky Mountain, Specialized, later, Seven Cycles etc. Bob Esplin was a founder, part owner iirc. Too exclusive to survive.
That sounds super, super cool, I’m sorry I missed it!
Old 07-17-19, 05:54 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I took a ride out to the point and cherry beach today. The humidity made the ashbridges plant fumes particularly savoury today.