Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hi from Bloomington, IN (for now!)

Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hi from Bloomington, IN (for now!)

Old 07-16-19, 06:32 PM
  #1  
FujiSam
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi from Bloomington, IN (for now!)

Sam here from Bloomington, IN, but only for a couple more weeks before o move to Ann Arbor!!

I've been riding mountain and road for the past dozen years. Just can't get enough of being on a bike. Even more fun now that I can ride with my kids! My 2 oldest just did their first balance bike BMX races!

My first buildup was a Gary Fisher Marlin that I rode every day in North Georgia until it was stolen. Still miss it (( For the past 7 years I've been loving my vintage Fuji roadies-- seafoam '76 Fuji Sports 10 single speed conversion and a gold '79 Royale gravel conversion.

I fix my friends and neighbors bikes and just love to ride, look at, and talk about bikes!!! Bloomington, home of the Little 500 of Breaking Away fame, has been a fun place to do that for the past couple of years!
FujiSam is offline  
Old 07-16-19, 09:12 PM
  #2  
gnome
shaken, not stirred.
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Shaky Isles.
Posts: 4,535

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Welcome to bike forums.
__________________
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
vBulletin: snafu
gnome is offline  
Old 07-16-19, 09:48 PM
  #3  
Chrshv80
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 16

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh, Cannondale CAAD10 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FujiSam View Post
Sam here from Bloomington, IN, but only for a couple more weeks before o move to Ann Arbor!!

I've been riding mountain and road for the past dozen years. Just can't get enough of being on a bike. Even more fun now that I can ride with my kids! My 2 oldest just did their first balance bike BMX races!

My first buildup was a Gary Fisher Marlin that I rode every day in North Georgia until it was stolen. Still miss it (( For the past 7 years I've been loving my vintage Fuji roadies-- seafoam '76 Fuji Sports 10 single speed conversion and a gold '79 Royale gravel conversion.

I fix my friends and neighbors bikes and just love to ride, look at, and talk about bikes!!! Bloomington, home of the Little 500 of Breaking Away fame, has been a fun place to do that for the past couple of years!
Not too far from you in Indianapolis, are there some decent low traffic roads in your neck of the woods. I love The scenery around Lake Monroe.
Chrshv80 is offline  
Old 07-16-19, 09:51 PM
  #4  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
 
wgscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The Timbers of Fennario (CL77)
Posts: 4,916

Bikes: Steel

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 143 Posts
Welcome. I lived there for about 1.5 years.
wgscott is offline  
Old 07-17-19, 11:01 AM
  #5  
FujiSam
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Welcome to bike forums.
Thanks!
FujiSam is offline  
Old 07-17-19, 11:04 AM
  #6  
FujiSam
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Welcome. I lived there for about 1.5 years.
Thanks! Cool-- I've been here 2 years. Little sad to leave now that an awesome used LBS just opened up (The Bike Shop)!
FujiSam is offline  
Old 07-17-19, 11:05 AM
  #7  
FujiSam
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrshv80 View Post
Not too far from you in Indianapolis, are there some decent low traffic roads in your neck of the woods. I love The scenery around Lake Monroe.
Lots of good road riding around Lake Monroe for sure!
FujiSam is offline  
Old 07-17-19, 11:31 PM
  #8  
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,067
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Hello and welcome! Seems like you do some good traveling, the best way to use a bike.
__________________
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline  
Old 07-19-19, 07:33 AM
  #9  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 16,211

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©ģ, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4550 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 60 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums, FujiSam!
__________________
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
It's never about getting comfortable. It's about getting capable.
LAJ is offline  
Old 07-19-19, 08:01 AM
  #10  
Hermes
Version 3.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,464

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 60 Posts
Welcome from SoCal.
Hermes is offline  
Old 07-20-19, 04:35 PM
  #11  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 15,527

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3782 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 133 Posts
Are you doing the Hilly Hundred? It's on my list of rides to do.
bikemig is offline  
Old 07-20-19, 05:25 PM
  #12  
Chrshv80
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 16

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh, Cannondale CAAD10 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
Are you doing the Hilly Hundred? It's on my list of rides to do.
Iíd like to try it.
Chrshv80 is offline  
Old 07-20-19, 05:45 PM
  #13  
Mad Honk 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 222

Bikes: Trek 770, Trek 760, Schwinn Peloton, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
FujiSam,
Welcome from hot and humid Bloomington, In. I Stopped by and saw Scott for few minutes today,he sent a very badly damaged mt. bike fork to be straightened. This one is gonna be a bugger to bend back. Good to hear about the kids and having them on bikes. Smiles, MH
Mad Honk is offline  
Old 07-20-19, 06:21 PM
  #14  
FujiSam
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
Are you doing the Hilly Hundred? It's on my list of rides to do.
I didn't even know about it until just now (not from Indiana), but I think I will do it this year!!! Sounds awesome.
FujiSam is offline  
Old 07-20-19, 06:24 PM
  #15  
FujiSam
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk View Post
FujiSam,
Welcome from hot and humid Bloomington, In. I Stopped by and saw Scott for few minutes today,he sent a very badly damaged mt. bike fork to be straightened. This one is gonna be a bugger to bend back. Good to hear about the kids and having them on bikes. Smiles, MH
Oh, hi--small town! I saw that teeny Technium on the stand-- love the paint. So you do metalwork for Scot? That's cool.
FujiSam is offline  
Old 07-21-19, 05:46 AM
  #16  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 17,035

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6327 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 65 Posts
Welcome!!!
__________________
Dennis T

Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 07-21-19, 08:29 AM
  #17  
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Metro Indy, IN
Posts: 15,548

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 33 Posts
Bloomington is great place to live and to ride bikes, yes. I took up cycling as a young adult when I lived there in the '70s. Watched a few Breaking Away scenes being filmed. Rode my first three Hilly Hundreds while there - and have gone back most years since then to ride the Hilly.
__________________
RANS V3 Ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
JanMM is offline  
Old 07-21-19, 08:38 AM
  #18  
FujiSam
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
Bloomington is great place to live and to ride bikes, yes. I took up cycling as a young adult when I lived there in the '70s. Watched a few Breaking Away scenes being filmed. Rode my first three Hilly Hundreds while there - and have gone back most years since then to ride the Hilly.
It's been fun. So cool you saw Breaking Away scenes being filmed! Perhaps I'll see you at the Hilly this year! I would love to come back for it.
FujiSam is offline  
Old 07-21-19, 09:20 AM
  #19  
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Metro Indy, IN
Posts: 15,548

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by FujiSam View Post
It's been fun. So cool you saw Breaking Away scenes being filmed! Perhaps I'll see you at the Hilly this year! I would love to come back for it.
The Hilly will be the last weekend in October this year, so it shouldn't be hot, like last year was. Hope it's not too cold!
__________________
RANS V3 Ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
JanMM is offline  
Old 07-21-19, 10:36 AM
  #20  
Chrshv80
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 16

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh, Cannondale CAAD10 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
The Hilly will be the last weekend in October this year, so it shouldn't be hot, like last year was. Hope it's not too cold!
Good to know. I definitely will try it this year if itís late October. I remember it being brutally hot that weekend last year.
Chrshv80 is offline  
Old 07-21-19, 01:08 PM
  #21  
Mad Honk 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 222

Bikes: Trek 770, Trek 760, Schwinn Peloton, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
FujiSam,
When you see Scott, tell him the fork was returned to correct specs and should work in that teeny bike just fine. This assumes the frame was not torqued when the car ran over the front wheel in the grudge. Smiles, MH
Mad Honk is offline  
Old 07-29-19, 05:23 PM
  #22  
TireLever-07
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Malden, MA.
Posts: 399

Bikes: 2009 Masi, 2014 Specialized Crossroads 1975 Schwinn Unicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Both your road bikes are about the same,bought new in a bike shop. drop bar alum rims. And the thief,,, took your good bike. I've never been into MTB bikes, just road hybrid and touring (Long) Touring(Local) types of bikes. See what the terrain is. Where you like riding around. Like cross country ,neighborhood hood gravel pit, power line access roads (?) Once you move to the Badger state. If you wanna spend the money. Some new MTBs gone to a single crank. If you work on the porch or living room. Hydralic brakes,, might not be for you. But your thief took your favorite bike. That's not a dumb thief. \\
TireLever-07 is offline  
Old 08-24-19, 04:28 PM
  #23  
strossos
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome! I'm coming out your way to do the Hilly Hundred this year. Any recommendations in town to check out??
strossos is offline  
Old 08-24-19, 07:31 PM
  #24  
Mad Honk 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 222

Bikes: Trek 770, Trek 760, Schwinn Peloton, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Nicks is always a good choice, but the brew pub at Lennie's is always biker friendly, and the Uplands on eleventh street has good fries to go with the beer. Breakfast at the Village Deli is a good start, and if you are into bagels Susan's Bloomington Bagle Co. is always a good start to the day. Smiles, MH
Mad Honk is offline  
Old 08-25-19, 05:09 PM
  #25  
strossos
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mad Honk View Post
Nicks is always a good choice, but the brew pub at Lennie's is always biker friendly, and the Uplands on eleventh street has good fries to go with the beer. Breakfast at the Village Deli is a good start, and if you are into bagels Susan's Bloomington Bagle Co. is always a good start to the day. Smiles, MH
Thanks for the recommendations! Now all I'll have to worry about is a few hills. How many could there be, really?
strossos is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.