Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Cylops bicycle

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-19, 11:38 AM
cdaniels

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 53 Posts
Cylops bicycle

I would like to get a Cyclops and have been looking for a while. The only one I have found is from a guy on eBay and he doesn't seem to want to answer any questions about it. Does anyone here know of one available or have one they would let go of, frame or whole? It does not have to be perfect just usable. I have checked eBay, local craigslist, nationwide craigslist and even Canada craigslist.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-19-19, 01:14 PM
cavit8
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdaniels
I would like to get a Cyclops and have been looking for a while. The only one I have found is from a guy on eBay and he doesn't seem to want to answer any questions about it. Does anyone here know of one available or have one they would let go of, frame or whole? It does not have to be perfect just usable. I have checked eBay, local craigslist, nationwide craigslist and even Canada craigslist.

Any help is appreciated.
Are you looking for track or road? There's a Cyclops road bike here out of Guelph: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/gu...ationFlag=true.
Old 07-19-19, 02:57 PM
cdaniels

For the road, but a track bike would be nice. At that price it is out of my range.
Old 07-19-19, 03:05 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
It’s a pretty desireable custom frame - they’re going to sell for some coin. I sold mine, parts hodgepodge, for $800.
Old 07-19-19, 10:31 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by cavit8
Are you looking for track or road? There's a Cyclops road bike here out of Guelph: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/gu...ationFlag=true.
Yum, and that one’s frame is “fillet braised” - delicious!
Old 07-20-19, 05:46 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
... but it's not the Columbus Max that it's advertised as being. Given the apparent era, it is probably True Temper. The seller has also greatly exaggerated the rarity of Cyclops frames.
Old 07-20-19, 11:25 AM
cavit8
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by T-Mar
... but it's not the Columbus Max that it's advertised as being. Given the apparent era, it is probably True Temper. The seller has also greatly exaggerated the rarity of Cyclops frames.
Interesting you say that. Given Mike Mullholland was a small builder, I haven't seen many and track more often than road. If there's a Mecca for Cyclops somewhere, feel free to share
Old 07-21-19, 08:58 AM
cdaniels

Interesting you say that. Given Mike Mullholland was a small builder, I haven't seen many and track more often than road. If there's a Mecca for Cyclops somewhere, feel free to share
I agree, I have been looking for a year now and have only found a couple for sale, so if they are not rare where are they?
Old 07-24-19, 03:21 PM
Cwurfel

Bikes: 1977 Colnago, 1976 Bob Jackson, 1978 Pagnini

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I have one its a softride though and its not large its a pretty small frame
Old 07-24-19, 04:05 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
For the road, but a track bike would be nice. At that price it is out of my range.
My experience when I have wanted a specific bike in a specific size I have had to "overpay" to get it. It can be a budget killer. I usually use proceeds from deals on bikes I don't want to allow me to overpay for bikes I do want.

Last edited by wrk101; 07-24-19 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-25-19, 06:50 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I agree, I have been looking for a year now and have only found a couple for sale, so if they are not rare where are they?
Rarity is a subjective matter. There is no defined threshold at which a product becomes rare. Besides, I never said that that they weren't rare, only that the seller "exaggerated the rarity". In other words, while they are rare, they're not as rare as he states.

However, if you're looking for a Cyclops, I suggest you centre your search on the Scarborough area, as that's where Mullholland lived and coached. In the mid-1980s, quite a few members of the Oro Cycling Club had Cyclops frames. Most Cyclops owners have a good appreciation for what they own and have held onto them. Given the age distribution of the owners, they will probably start to surface more often over the next decade.