Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-19, 06:58 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
I love the bikes pictured, and what y'all have done.
This is the best place to ask:

Is there a "retro" appearing brifter? I mean gum hoods, brake cables coming out the top, but with hidden shifters?

If so, that would be really cool, to have a completely CV bike but keeping both hands on the bars when riding in a group.

I looked around on ebay and don't see anything, partly because what name would I search for?
"gum brifter"?
" sorta old school lever"?
Hudz makes a replacement cover for many types of integrated brake/shift levers. One of the cover colors that they offer (is often harder to find than most) is called Bordeaux Gold. It almost looks like a gum lever. When I finally get around to doing my next build, I'm going to be putting those on a set of campagnolo ergos with the aluminum levers to get as close as I can to a retro-ish look.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-24-19, 01:03 PM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by himespau
Hudz makes a replacement cover for many types of integrated brake/shift levers. One of the cover colors that they offer (is often harder to find than most) is called Bordeaux Gold. It almost looks like a gum lever. When I finally get around to doing my next build, I'm going to be putting those on a set of campagnolo ergos with the aluminum levers to get as close as I can to a retro-ish look.
GAAAAAAHHHH! Want!
Old 07-24-19, 10:17 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
I passed on the original 8 speed Campy Stratos groupset and Mavic Cosmos wheelset, replaced the quill stem and original bars and seatpost. now it sports a new FSA headset, Deda 100mm stem and 42cm Deda bars, carbon Ritchey seatpost, Vuelta wheelset with Mavic Yksion Elite tires and Shimano 105 groupset. Rides like a rocket.

Likes For greg3rd48:
Old 07-25-19, 08:50 AM
DaleEArnold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
That HETCHINS makes for a beautiful frames...The curved rear triangle is very unusual..

Thanks for posting
Old 07-25-19, 03:09 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyg1
This one always wins these battles. No use even trying.......:

Older post, best to quote on those...
Old 07-25-19, 03:32 PM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by greg3rd48
I passed on the original 8 speed Campy Stratos groupset and Mavic Cosmos wheelset, replaced the quill stem and original bars and seatpost. now it sports a new FSA headset, Deda 100mm stem and 42cm Deda bars, carbon Ritchey seatpost, Vuelta wheelset with Mavic Yksion Elite tires and Shimano 105 groupset. Rides like a rocket.

Nice looking bike, but tt looks like the bars are a little low for you.
Flip your stem and rotate your bars down so the levers aren't pointing at the sky. It will increase the stack to the bars for you.
Old 07-25-19, 05:33 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by TimmyT
Nice looking bike, but tt looks like the bars are a little low for you.
Flip your stem and rotate your bars down so the levers aren't pointing at the sky. It will increase the stack to the bars for you.
You are right. I did feel like I was riding too high. I will flip the stem and try it out. Thanks!
Old 07-26-19, 10:34 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
The Prologue needs no introduction, and its superb qualities have been written elsewhere with different modern groupsets.
I've been meaning to ask this about other member's upper tier late 80s schwinn road bikes, but keep forgetting.

I have an 87 prelude and an 88 premis, both tenax, and the seat tube is quite literally slammed and squished into the bottom bracket shell to fit with the down tube(vs being mitered/coped to fit inside the shell with joining tubes).

Any chance you happened to look at the joining method of your Prologue? I know the Prologue is Panasonic built with Prestige tubing, vs Greenville built with Tenax tubing like the rest of the upper tier of bikes, but just curious if the slam and squish build method was used for the highest level bikes too(with Prestige or SL tubing).
Old 07-26-19, 10:38 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by mikemowbz
I might have to make a whole thread for this one at some point - but this seems like the place to show off the whip I've most been enjoying so far this summer!

Ryffranck, hand built in Sherbrooke, Québec. Columbus EL OS. 'Freuler' style geo w/extended HT and ST ('dropped' TT). R8000 Ultegra w/H+Son Archetypes.

Rides nice.

Very neat! You don't often see a c&v frame with a lugged head tube extension like that.
Old 07-26-19, 11:20 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I've been meaning to ask this about other member's upper tier late 80s schwinn road bikes, but keep forgetting.

I have an 87 prelude and an 88 premis, both tenax, and the seat tube is quite literally slammed and squished into the bottom bracket shell to fit with the down tube(vs being mitered/coped to fit inside the shell with joining tubes).

Any chance you happened to look at the joining method of your Prologue? I know the Prologue is Panasonic built with Prestige tubing, vs Greenville built with Tenax tubing like the rest of the upper tier of bikes, but just curious if the slam and squish build method was used for the highest level bikes too(with Prestige or SL tubing).
Since I don't want to disassemble my Prologue again, I will have to look at pictures I took of it, as well as my Peloton (same top level Panasonic build, same exact lugs--not kidding), to see if I took any. Nothing stood out to me when I did look at it, which usually means the tubes all go straight into the lugs with no mitering--they just don't protrude into free space very far at all. Seems to be pretty standard on other high end frames. No squishing--plenty of clearance for bottom brackets.
Old 07-26-19, 04:24 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Battaglin

Haven't played in a while, that's for sure. Member @cpsqlrwn did me a solid on selling me this, and I'm fairly certain it's a climber for my future.

10-sp Centaur triple, Aerohead rims, and all the usual suspects. Went to Xpedo Thrust 7 pedals because they're cool. Finished it, finally.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 07-26-19 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-26-19, 07:16 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Haven't played in a while, that's for sure. Member @cpsqlrwn did me a solid on selling me this, and I'm fairly certain it's a climber for my future.

10-sp Centaur triple, Aerohead rims, and all the usual suspects. Went to Xpedo Thrust 7 pedals because they're cool. Finished it, finally.

I see you're a sandal guy too.

Beautiful bike! Pedals look great on it.
Old 07-26-19, 08:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Since I don't want to disassemble my Prologue again, I will have to look at pictures I took of it, as well as my Peloton (same top level Panasonic build, same exact lugs--not kidding), to see if I took any. Nothing stood out to me when I did look at it, which usually means the tubes all go straight into the lugs with no mitering--they just don't protrude into free space very far at all. Seems to be pretty standard on other high end frames. No squishing--plenty of clearance for bottom brackets.
Ha, yeah disassembly is well past reasonable.

This is the inside of the Premis shell. I get that fitting the tubes by mitering is extra time and therefore cost, but wasn't sure if the late 80s Japanese built frames went that extra step due to higher quality/qc/different process.
Old 07-26-19, 10:34 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Very neat! You don't often see a c&v frame with a lugged head tube extension like that.
Indeed! The wacky thing? I own *two* such frames, really very similar, from two fairly small-scale Canadian builders.

My Cyclops, built in Vernon (BC) by Mike Mulholland, is remarkably similar with lugged HT and ST extensions!

It's not as though I've sought out this construction style/feature - just so happens that these were the bikes by these builders that came available to me in a suitable size...

Last edited by mikemowbz; 07-27-19 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-26-19, 11:45 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Ha, yeah disassembly is well past reasonable.

This is the inside of the Premis shell. I get that fitting the tubes by mitering is extra time and therefore cost, but wasn't sure if the late 80s Japanese built frames went that extra step due to higher quality/qc/different process.
I don't think I ever noticed that on either the Prologue or the Peloton. Weird though I suppose not out of the realm of possibility to have that happen (smushed tubes)?
Old 07-27-19, 02:31 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Yes.
Tires-perfect
Colors-perfect
Setup-perfect.
The C24 is one of my favorite all-time wheels.

That is capital Nice. Clean. Smooth. Executed with vision and class.

Ok, these calipers are 6800-era Ultegra (11-speed), but employ nearly the same aesthetic while possessing the new-era of Shimano's brake lever pull.
You get used to that roller-cam feel quickly, and wonder why it wasn't around 20 years ago.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 07-27-19 at 07:27 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 07-27-19, 06:47 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
You do know you're all going to hell, right?
You are so right.... I was considering brifters for a '82 Panosonic before I came to my senses. I did substitute indexing 7speed Sun DT shifters and a Sun freewheel. I think that just qualifies for a halfway house.
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 07-27-19, 07:11 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
You are so right.... I was considering brifters for a '82 Panosonic before I came to my senses. I did substitute indexing 7speed Sun DT shifters and a Sun freewheel. I think that just qualifies for a halfway house.
It's a slippery slope.
Old 07-27-19, 07:26 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

STI/Ergo's on an old bike.....

This conversation actually occurred during a recent group ride.

"Why put 11sp DA on an old bike?" (1988 Centurion)
"Why put 11sp DA on an new bike?"
"Because it works."
"Well, (duh) there you go."

One of the guys in the group is from Ireland, and splits his time between a 7900 BMC and a 9000 Dogma.
He was riding along, and just grinned. I showed up later on a Bob Jackson, and he said "you are sick."
Old 07-27-19, 09:32 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

This conversation actually occurred during a recent group ride.

"Why put 11sp DA on an old bike?" (1988 Centurion)
"Why put 11sp DA on an new bike?"
"Because it works."
"Well, (duh) there you go."

One of the guys in the group is from Ireland, and splits his time between a 7900 BMC and a 9000 Dogma.
He was riding along, and just grinned. I showed up later on a Bob Jackson, and he said "you are sick."
This is also precisely why I put newer stuff on older bikes, because it works. I don't know the exact tone of the Irish guy's comments, but it's pretty interesting that a guy riding a Dura-Ace equipped BMC or Pinarello would be shocked by a very nice vintage bike (that may or may not have been modernized) as either of those new bikes would cost mulitples of a Bob Jackson in today's market. $1100-1200 gets someone a pretty fast Shimano 105-spec road bike. Or it gets that person a very clean vintage Paramount. $1500-1800 gets one near or at Ultegra...or it gets a vintage Paramount frame with modern Ultegra components. A DA 9000 Dogma is $10k easy. I like saving theoretical money.

Thank you, BTW, for your extremely kind compliments of my Prologue!! It was certainly an execution of a vision (as you pointed out). I may be a pound over my fully mechanical 7900 setup's weight (with a lighter quill adapter and lighter, older Vittoria tires) at 20.5 fully dressed, but this looks even better to me, and of course the shift levers feel wonderful and shift sublimely. Lower gearing while still being able to brain fart a 53-28 big-big combo without issue. More black to make the tan wall Corsas pop (I am in love), and of course the C24s--or their immediate, incremental-improvement predecessors, of which I own two (this pair included) and nearly snagged a third, all because people are finally dumping their high-end 10-speed wheels.

Your Battaglin looks great, and is the exact same frame (assuming SLX) as my taller version...minus the missing original fork on mine....and the good paint, of which mine lacks....and the booger weld at the drive-side rear dropout/chainstay....
Old 07-28-19, 05:23 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

The Irish lad is a fan of C & V. He has the kids/mortgage/race of rats thing going, and he’s still a hammer. Enough so his bikes show it. Met him in a paceline while I was on a Raleigh Competition and a week later on an Ironman. He laughs every time.

In an odd way, he has his vicarious grip on C&V thru me, and when the paceline takes off, I just tell him “mow ‘em down.” He grins and obliges.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 07-28-19 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-28-19, 05:32 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

This thread rejuvenates.
Old 07-28-19, 07:00 AM
BFisher

Love this thread!

So many great builds here, so many members with great skills and excellent attention to detail. No reason why these old frames can't be "rejuvenated" as well with fresh new mechanicals (or electronics!). It's very encouraging to see what others do with their visions. @RiddleOfSteel, that Prologue is a perfect representation of how refined a build like this could be.

I've got an '89 Puch - Columbus Cromor tubing - that rides so nice. I don't expect the Suntour Accushift stuff on it to be problem-free forever. When the time comes to start replacing parts, it'll get a modern group. I went that way with my Ironman, and it gets ridden the most for that reason.
Old 07-28-19, 07:17 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Dual cult member.
Originally Posted by BFisher
Love this thread!

So many great builds here, so many members with great skills and excellent attention to detail. No reason why these old frames can't be "rejuvenated" as well with fresh new mechanicals (or electronics!). It's very encouraging to see what others do with their visions. @RiddleOfSteel, that Prologue is a perfect representation of how refined a build like this could be.

I've got an '89 Puch - Columbus Cromor tubing - that rides so nice. I don't expect the Suntour Accushift stuff on it to be problem-free forever. When the time comes to start replacing parts, it'll get a modern group. I went that way with my Ironman, and it gets ridden the most for that reason.
Old 07-28-19, 07:42 AM
BFisher

Dual cult member.
Guilty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.