Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Figuring out whats wrong with my saddle fit

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 07-24-19, 03:17 PM
TXBDan

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX, Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

Hi all,

I got a new bike, a Trek Checkpoint ALR5, and it comes with a Bontrager Montrose Comp saddle, 138mm wide. I've never given much thought to saddles as none really bothered me, but this one is bugging me. I'm 6'4 and I measured my sit bones and i get around 112-115mm center to center. I did this by sitting on aluminum foil on carpet.

Two things are wrong, one is just general achyness up in my pelvis. The second is that it often feels like i'm shifted to one side or the other and like i need to shift to the other side. My hypothesis is that the seat is too narrow and it can't span to reach both sit bones at once. However, i think my other bike saddles are in this width range (i'll check) and i have no issues there.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this so i can try and pick out a better option? Thanks
Old 07-24-19, 03:30 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TXBDan
However, i think my other bike saddles are in this width range (i'll check) and i have no issues there.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this so i can try and pick out a better option? Thanks
Hmmm...let me thinks about this one

Old 07-24-19, 03:32 PM
TXBDan

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX, Trek Checkpoint

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Ha, i should add that i no longer have any other road bikes (or their saddles) and my only other bike is a mountain bike. It has a comfy saddle, but its also a more padded mountain bike type saddle and i don't sit on it for as long as when on my road bike.
Old 07-24-19, 03:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Get a saddle like the one you had on your previous road bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-24-19, 04:01 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Ha, i should add that i no longer have any other road bikes (or their saddles) and my only other bike is a mountain bike. It has a comfy saddle, but its also a more padded mountain bike type saddle and i don't sit on it for as long as when on my road bike.
I knew there'd be more to it
Old 07-31-19, 08:05 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Just guessing, but if I were you, I'd go to a bike shop to get your sit bones measured. I'm 6'4" and weigh 198 and my sit bones are 130 from Specialized Assometer.
Old 08-01-19, 07:18 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
In general a saddle that is too narrow is more likely to cause discomfort than one that is too wide. The area that will cause problems is the area just ahead of the sit bone location where the saddle narrows down. That area needs to match the width between the legs right at the crotch. If the saddle is too wide there it will be uncomfortable.
Old 08-02-19, 11:04 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
Hi all,

I got a new bike, a Trek Checkpoint ALR5, and it comes with a Bontrager Montrose Comp saddle, 138mm wide. I've never given much thought to saddles as none really bothered me, but this one is bugging me. I'm 6'4 and I measured my sit bones and i get around 112-115mm center to center. I did this by sitting on aluminum foil on carpet.

Two things are wrong, one is just general achyness up in my pelvis. The second is that it often feels like i'm shifted to one side or the other and like i need to shift to the other side. My hypothesis is that the seat is too narrow and it can't span to reach both sit bones at once. However, i think my other bike saddles are in this width range (i'll check) and i have no issues there.

Let's see, pain in pelvis, and shifted to one side... Your seat is most likely too high, that causes the pelvic pain, and you shift to one side to compensate. I have experienced the same issue, and had the same symptoms. Lowering the seat solved it. https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/

And this one explains what I just stated regarding compensating by dropping to one side. https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...d-can-it-be-2/
Likes For phughes:
Old 08-24-19, 01:54 AM
sumgy

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Your seat is most likely too high, t
Yep. Much more likely than a saddle being "too narrow".
The whole ass measuring thing makes me giggle.
Old 09-11-19, 06:02 PM
Clem von Jones

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
I sounds like a classic case of one sit bone sliding off the edge. I think you've mismeasured your arse. 138mm is very narrow for someone your size. 155mm is probably what you require.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 09-11-19 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-11-19, 06:06 PM
sumgy

Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
I sounds like a classic case of one sit bone sliding off the edge. I think you've mismeasured your arse. 138mm is very narrow for someone your size.
Honestly this @rse measuring BS is another Specialized marketing w@nk (probably something they came up with to try and make up for their sh1t fitting system). I am 6'3" and 185lb. My SMP Composit saddles are 130mm wide at their widest point. I have had hip pain in the past until I dropped my saddle 6cm from where the Specialized "expert" set it. Hip Pain gone.
Old 09-11-19, 06:33 PM
Clem von Jones

Originally Posted by sumgy
Honestly this @rse measuring BS is another Specialized marketing w@nk (probably something they came up with to try and make up for their sh1t fitting system). I am 6'3" and 185lb. My SMP Composit saddles are 130mm wide at their widest point. I have had hip pain in the past until I dropped my saddle 6cm from where the Specialized "expert" set it. Hip Pain gone.
Yeah if your position is aggressively low, forward and aero then you sit on the ramus bone which is a lot narrower.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 09-11-19 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-11-19, 06:37 PM
sumgy

Yeah if your position is aggressively low, forward and aero then you sit on the ramus which is a lot narrower.
I would not say my position is aggressively low.

Old 09-11-19, 06:39 PM
Clem von Jones

You're using deep drop bars.
Old 09-11-19, 06:46 PM
sumgy

You're using deep drop bars.
Yes?
I am also 51 years old and have a saddle to BB measurement of only 75cm for a guy with a 35" cycling inseam.
This is likely why I can use deep drop bars (not because my saddle width is 130mm wide).
Old 09-23-19, 11:35 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I agree with the suggestion that your saddle is (was) too high.

Saddle width --and especially "sit bone" width-- is not completely irrelevant, but I don't think it's nearly the important measurement that some people think. Look at a classroom skeleton sometime (not a Halloween skeleton). The "sit bones" are shaped kinda like the rails of a rocking chair, but backwards. Their "width" depends on the rider's position. If you sit upright, your weight goes into the sit bones at their widest point; as you pivot your pelvis forward your weight moves to a place where the sit bones are closer together.

Once you have saddle height, stem length, handlebar height, brake lever position &c nailed down, and you're pretty confident of your favored riding position on the bike, you can figure out your sit bone width. Until then, though, forget about it. It's not important enough.
Likes For rhm: