Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Anyone renew their Camp Pendleton cyclists pass lately? Requirements?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Anyone renew their Camp Pendleton cyclists pass lately? Requirements?

Old 08-01-19, 05:33 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
it’s a busy enuff corridor but something tells me the marine corps prefer to have control over the entire situation. i don’t see them allowing caltrans to reconfigure/expand the 5 freeway without their say so, even if it allowed them to close the base to cyclists. something about having your cake and eating it too. then there’s the caltrans budget which likely doesn’t include 17+ miles of dedicated and separated bike path alongside the 5 fwy. it would be nice and hopefully in our lifetime but i’m not holding my breath.
If you drive up the 15 near Corona, you'll see enough activity that makes you think they could find a buck or two for an I-5 bike path. Pedestrians are relegated to the 5 too!

The land on those bases belongs to the state, it's not federal land - if they give up the base it reverts back to California, but I hear what you're saying about "cake"...
Old 08-01-19, 08:51 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
The land on those bases belongs to the state, it's not federal land - if they give up the base it reverts back to California,..
This suggests otherwise.

https://m.sandiegoreader.com/news/19...leased-family/
Old 08-01-19, 10:34 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
ok to clarify, if the Marines leave Pendleton the land reverts to the state - the Feds don't get to sell it, develop it or what have you.

They could probably fix the federal deficit if they developed Pendleton.
Old 08-02-19, 02:28 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
ok to clarify, if the Marines leave Pendleton the land reverts to the state - the Feds don't get to sell it, develop it or what have you.

probably. can you imagine? a current comparison (but about as close as we can ever get) is the partial development of tejon ranch up the "grapevine" part of the 5 fwy.
there are some pretty roads in that triangle between santa clarita, lancaster/palmdale and the frazier park/gorman area. ride those roads while you can because they'll be deathtraps
and unridable within a few years.
Old 08-02-19, 03:25 PM
bobwysiwyg

No offense, I'm a bit of a nitpicker, ask my wife. Thinking of getting a copy of The Nitpicker's Guide.
Old 08-02-19, 03:54 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
No offense, I'm a bit of a nitpicker, ask my wife. Thinking of getting a copy of The Nitpicker's Guide.
If you were truly a nit picker your coordinates would be more accurate... I hope you winter some place else
Old 08-03-19, 12:37 PM
bobwysiwyg

If you were truly a nit picker your coordinates would be more accurate... I hope you winter some place else
Nope, they're accurate... enough. I actually like winter.. until about January 31 that is.

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 08-03-19 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-01-19, 09:33 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
[...] They could probably fix the federal deficit if they developed Pendleton.
I hate to say so, but the value of Pendleton, even if they could sell every bit of it for $5 million/acre, would be a fart in a thunderstorm in comparison to the federal deficit, which is itself only about 10% of the fiscal gap.
Old 02-09-20, 10:16 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
17 miles on the freeway + about 10 miles of back tracking.

Technically the freeway is also on the base, I wish they would just pave a bike path and put up a barrier for the entire 17 mile potential detour.

Its The Marine Corps, They arent going to pave nothing for Civilian bike riders . Just be glad they even allow you to ride thru the Base.
Old 02-19-20, 08:18 AM
OverTheTop98 
Oldie but a Newbie

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Pro Carbon, BH Prisima, Bianchi Volpe, (previously Intense Spyder MTB)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got a "Real ID" CA driver's licence. Will this get me onto the base at the Las Pulgas gate?
Old 02-19-20, 10:45 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

^no. you still need to hit the visitor center located by the southern entrance just off the 5 freeway near oceanside. i rummaged around the site looking for the definitive requirements for their free base id. your real ca id would be one component but couldn’t find the listing of acceptable forms/id necessary to get the base id. perhaps it’s in there somewhere. not the easiest task when it’s pre-coffee and on my phone. i did see a phone number to contact with questions. https://www.pendleton.marines.mil/Base-Access/
Old 02-19-20, 10:47 PM
Unapomer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
^no. you still need to hit the visitor center located by the southern entrance just off the 5 freeway near oceanside. i rummaged around the site looking for the definitive requirements for their free base id. your real ca id would be one component but couldn’t find the listing of acceptable forms/id necessary to get the base id. perhaps it’s in there somewhere. not the easiest task when it’s pre-coffee and on my phone. i did see a phone number to contact with questions. https://www.pendleton.marines.mil/Base-Access/
https://www.pendleton.marines.mil/Ba...nal-Bicycling/
Old 09-14-20, 05:21 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

renewed it today. took 1 hour, five mins and 55 seconds (yes, i timed it for giggles) from the time i walked in till the time i exited, new pass in hand. last, pre-covid time was about five mins so...
Old 09-14-20, 07:38 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
renewed it today. took 1 hour, five mins and 55 seconds (yes, i timed it for giggles) from the time i walked in till the time i exited, new pass in hand. last, pre-covid time was about five mins so...
It only took about 30 minutes for mine and there were six people in front of me? Mine was a new issue too. Must of been my clean record or ????.
Likes For adamhenry:
Old 09-14-20, 09:37 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by adamhenry
It only took about 30 minutes for mine and there were six people in front of me? Mine was a new issue too. Must of been my clean record or ????.
i went close to the end of the day (2:30pm). this was my third pass. first-time took about 15-20 mins if i remember correctly. second time, literally five mins. the paperwork more extensive this time
along with a specific bicyclist addendum page to be signed and dated that wasn't part of the pass before. all that plus covid protocols...averages out to thirty mins per yearly visit for a free pass.
i can live with it. brought the old/expired pass, current new california dl (had to renew a few months ago when the offices were closed so didn't/couldn't get the real id version) and the unexpired us
passport which, amazingly, still works in the usa but apparently few other places these daze.

was talking to a guy today picking his up (first-time) and he was excited to be doing a ride from newport beach to san diego tomorrow (tuesday). gave him some directional/route pointers/what
to expect, yadda yadda. killed five mins and was nice to chat with a fellow cyclist.

yeah...that "ever been convicted of a felony?" yes/no question took me longer to answer than it should have. started to question myself...was that a felony? don't remember. let's put "no."
Old 03-16-21, 03:27 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

stopped by to pick up a new pass since i lost the previous id on the recent ride from fullerton > san diego. purposely put it in an easy to access
jacket pocket while at an san onofre state park water stop. put it in the same pocket as the cell phone since i hadn't planned on taking any pics between
the water stop and the las flores entry gate. dumb. took three pics in that stretch and it fell out at some point. daylight was a factor or i would have backtracked
in an attempt to find it. got to appreciate riding that seven mile stretch of the 5 freeway again...it had been a few years. no thanks.

only took 15 mins to fill out all the paperwork, get the picture taken and be on my way. went at 12:45pm and out the door at 1pm. was the only visitor there.
brought the passport but they asked for driver's license (mine is currently a non-real id) as well (which i had). another ugly picture for a year...

Last edited by diphthong; 03-16-21 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-16-21, 08:19 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Thanks for keeping this thread alive. It reminds me that I need to drive down there and get this taken are of. It will be a nice little drive for the wife and I some morning.
Old 03-16-21, 08:49 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Thanks for keeping this thread alive. It reminds me that I need to drive down there and get this taken are of. It will be a nice little drive for the wife and I some morning.
even better...bring your applicable id's and take the amtrak or metrolink (more affordable) to oceanside and ride to the southern base entrance and visitor center.
get the id and ride north through the base and into san onofre state park, then san onofre state beach, then san clemente, then doheny state beach, then
the bike path from doheny to san juan capistrano mission/train station area and train it back. oceanside to sjc train station is approx a 30 mile, flattish ride.
*edit...sorry...33 mile, flattish ride.

or you could kick it with the missus in dtown carlsbad. may be my fave dtown/main street in all of socal. have your fill, then proceed to the southern end of the base
to get id. dtown carlsbad to the camp pendleton visitor center is approx a 10 min drive.

Last edited by diphthong; 03-16-21 at 08:54 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 03-29-21, 09:07 PM
NeedARealBike

Bikes: Cinelli Bootleg Hobo - Railway 2015

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So where would you get in doing the PCH route going from orange county to San Diego. I did it years ago and remember taking this "old coast highway" past san onofre nuclear plant and then dead ended into a nice tiny lanes bike trail on the side of a nice abandoned stretch of road until I hit a parking lot by a set of i5 on and offramps. Just before I turned left to merge into hell I saw a little yellow gate that was closed with a sign that said "red beach" or something like that and could see some dirt trail running along the freeway. Are you just supposed to hop over that and do a crappy gravel ride? Seems like they would want to check permits of people going on and off but I didn't see any sentry around.
Old 03-29-21, 10:01 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

you either get the camp pendleton pass and ride the paved bike route consisting of three streets for approx 8 miles (from either the las pulgas gate or southern gate, with no deviations, or you ride the 5 freeway shoulder for 7.5 miles.
unless you have some military access to the base, there is no other legal way to navigate the san onofre < > oceanside stretch by bike. the few miles between the southern boundary of san onofre state beach/park and las pulgas rd
is still camp pendleton property and cyclists are only allowed to stay on that main road.
Old 03-29-21, 10:46 PM
NeedARealBike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ah ok I found the map on the official site and even found a nice youtube Road Bike video showing the whole complete transit. Really useful for getting a feel of it with that power meter data. I'd rather not enlist just to get a DoD ID again. I don't miss being on any base at all anymore.

Old 04-08-21, 07:44 PM
sslonkosky

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
To get the pass, is it sufficient to bring your DMV issued DL or ID or do you need to bring something else as well? (I no longer have a DL, my vision can only be corrected to 20/150 but the DMV wants 20/40 or better.)
Old 04-09-21, 01:35 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

as far as i can tell, they like two forms of id. a valid us passport, valid real id drivers license or id card issued by a us state gov, a valid non-real id drivers license or id card
issued by a us state gov, a social security card and a certified copy or original birth certificate. something with a picture for sure for one form and if you don't have a passport,
then the social security card or birth certificate.

i always bring my passport to renew the pass but have only used it twice...to get the first pass and to replace one recently lost this year. otherwise, the existing pass and a (non-real id)
california drivers license worked to renew.

phone number to verify/ask acceptable id forms/questions listed on this page:

https://www.pendleton.marines.mil/Base-Access/
Old 04-09-21, 01:39 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by NeedARealBike
So where would you get in doing the PCH route going from orange county to San Diego. I did it years ago and remember taking this "old coast highway" past san onofre nuclear plant and then dead ended into a nice tiny lanes bike trail on the side of a nice abandoned stretch of road until I hit a parking lot by a set of i5 on and offramps. Just before I turned left to merge into hell I saw a little yellow gate that was closed with a sign that said "red beach" or something like that and could see some dirt trail running along the freeway. Are you just supposed to hop over that and do a crappy gravel ride? Seems like they would want to check permits of people going on and off but I didn't see any sentry around.
last time i was up there two weeks ago, there were two marine sentries or the other side of that little yellow gate with what appeared to be m-16's. no crappy gravel rides...
Old 04-11-21, 08:19 PM
NeedARealBike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
last time i was up there two weeks ago, there were two marine sentries or the other side of that little yellow gate with what appeared to be m-16's. no crappy gravel rides...
Those are just for installing complementary speed holes to help you get more aero

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.