Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tell me why I shouldn't be scared of dying on the road ...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-02-19, 06:21 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
We are all going to die sometime.
... and, it's the only sure cure for the ravages of aging.
Old 08-02-19, 06:57 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
The safest time to ride is when there is an NFL game on television. However, the period before the game starts is dangerous because everyone is rushing to get beer, chips dip, and more beer, and the period after the game when everyone is drunk.

There are dangers now that didn't exist twenty years ago, because of people being distracted by their phones. Even the trees and telephone poles aren't safe.

Another thing that has changed is the fact that there is more traffic on back roads and side streets because these apps like Waze are directing trffic onto them to avoid jams.

And there are simply more cars on the road. Be careful.

this!
Old 08-02-19, 07:48 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by einstruzende
I was a pretty serious cyclist from 2003 through 2010, and ended up switching to running for years. Trying to go back to cycling, but I find I am now convinced I'm going to be hit by a car and killed.

I know, statistics probably say better chance of getting hit by lightning or something, but it's always there, and it is almost paralyzing my motivation.

Anyone go through this? I did have one cycling acquaintance die on the road back in 2009, I think that has something to do with it. He seemed invincible.
My brother lives in New Albany. He does weekend rides out through Westerville and the roads to the east of it. Many of them are lightly traveled by autos, and bicycles are a common part of the landscape out there. Read The Art of Cycling. Go enjoy those roads.
Old 08-02-19, 08:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Knew someone that bought used bso & would look for a distracted driver to fall onto the hood of. They're either dedz or filthy rich by now.
Old 08-02-19, 09:21 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Nobody gives a thought about dying in a car when they get into one. Not saying the risk is higher or lower than that of a bicycle but in the US, over 30,000 drivers and their passengers are killed each year. And that's more than the people killed in airplane crashes and terrorism worldwide.
Old 08-02-19, 09:45 PM
Daniel4

Let's put it this way. Deaths per 100,000 population, the highest is in Florida at 5.7.

https://www.governing.com/gov-data/t...tate-data.html

(Other States range from 0.5 to 3.8 per 100,000)

Whereas gun deaths per 100,000 is 10.6 and driver deaths per 100,000 is 11.4.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_..._United_States

https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality...state-by-state
Old 08-02-19, 10:51 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Courage is not the absence of fear, but the mastery of it.
Old 08-03-19, 12:32 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Try gravel.

Hardly any cars on gravel.

-Tim-
This.
Great answer to a silly question.
Wants to ride and wants to explore but is terrified of being hit by a car and had not already thought about gravel?
Unless he is also afraid of squirrels maybe?

Last edited by downhillmaster; 08-03-19 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-03-19, 01:37 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
We are all going to die sometime.

I just hope I can complete those epic bucket list rides before I leave this world.

I pray before every ride for safe travels.

Seems to calm the anxiety and fears of disasters.

My focus is then turned to riding with safety being the arbiter of how I ride.
You can get bitten by a mosquito and contract malaria or yellow fever so does that mean you should never go outside? The other day I slipped getting out of the shower. I could have hit my head on the tile and broken my neck. Does that mean that mean I should never take a shower because its dangerous?
Old 08-03-19, 05:36 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Let's put it this way. Deaths per 100,000 population, the highest is in Florida at 5.7.

https://www.governing.com/gov-data/t...tate-data.html

(Other States range from 0.5 to 3.8 per 100,000)

Whereas gun deaths per 100,000 is 10.6 and driver deaths per 100,000 is 11.4.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_..._United_States

https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality...state-by-state
The problem with comparing deaths per 100,000 population is that it does not take into account how much of that population takes part in an activity or how often. Without knowing that, it tells you very little about how dangerous an activity is (such as driving or riding a bike).
Old 08-03-19, 03:10 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by Kapusta
The problem with comparing deaths per 100,000 population is that it does not take into account how much of that population takes part in an activity or how often. Without knowing that, it tells you very little about how dangerous an activity is (such as driving or riding a bike).
The OP wanted to be convinced why he shouldn't be worried about dying on a bicycle so I provided some statistics where other forms of death are more likely.

True, measurement per 100,000 population or per 1,000,000 miles of road doesn't tell the full story but that's all we have.

There's practically only one factor that determines the safety of cyclists: cars on the road. All other factors are far behind. You can fall off your bike but it rarely leads to your death.

An accurate measurement of the safety of bicycles, cars and pedestrians on the road would be deaths per 100,000 moving cars over 10 km/hr on the road. But there aren't any reports like that.

Last edited by Daniel4; 08-03-19 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-03-19, 05:33 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
It beats dying on the couch with a bowl of pork rinds next to you.
Old 08-04-19, 06:08 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Read one article about a cycling death and suddenly your news feed is filled with them. This can distort your perception about how dangerous cycling on the road is.
Likes For tntyz:
Old 08-04-19, 06:15 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Yeah?
Getting smashed into by a 4,000lb vehicle and then possibly dragged under it for 100 yards while you bleed out in full spandex for all the world to see beats dying on a couch in your home?
Interesting
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 08-04-19, 06:22 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Originally Posted by Ray9
"Why I ride"

A lot of people wonder why I do something every day that would kill most people if they tried it once. Because I read the warnings on cigarette packages I abstained from the habit in 1976 when the price of the lung destroyers was 35 cents a pack.

Observations of friends and relatives that abused alcohol convinced me to avoid the poison and seeing the damage done to those who smoked weed and progressed to the stronger stuff alerted me to the reality that I and I alone have responsibility for my personal health....

I ran for many years until my joints and ligaments began to protest and because I had saved thousands from not buying tobacco weed, or alcohol,

I had the resources to purchase an expensive racing bicycle in 1983. It was the best investment of my life as nearly all of the people who were putting powder up their noses at the time are either already dead or swallowing their faces in a nursing home today.

As a libertarian I support the choices of all the corpses and institutionalized vegetables warehoused in beds across the nation enjoying the fruits of those choices.
Originally Posted by TimothyH
No, calling human beings corpses and institutionalized vegetables is to rob them of their dignity. They are people, not objects to be looked down on.

Some of us believe that those who have been blessed should serve the least and lowest, not dismiss them because of the choices they have made or because they are no longer of use to society.

We have all made mistakes and chosen poorly. Some of us regret those mistakes dearly. The fact that one chose to exercise and another didn't doesn't make one better or worse.

None of us know what the other person has gone through in life and what they are dealing with on the inside....Being hard hearted about it doesn't help anyone be better.

Any one of us could have get a disease or be disabled in a moment. Riding bicycles is no guarantee and the measure you give is the measure you will get. Personally, I hope lots of people come to my funeral and remember me as a sympathetic and generous person.

-Tim-
Every day at 72 I get on my bike and ride fifty miles, chasing the wind with clear lungs by choice.

I know there is a risk due to traffic, driver inattention and impaired vehicle operation but it’s a risk worth taking just like the risk many others took when they voluntarily sabotaged their vital organs with chemicals...
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Yeah?

Getting smashed into by a 4,000lb vehicle and then possibly dragged under it for 100 yards while you bleed out in full spandex for all the world to see beats dying on a couch in your home?

Interesting
If I should meet my end on the highway don’t feel sorry for me because any sympathy I have for those who threw away their health by eating like pigs, smoking like chimneys and drinking like fish can be measured in microns.

...I have a huge appreciation for those who worked so hard to make things better for me. That’s why I ride my bike; It’s good for my heart, my lungs and my mind.

You do what you want; you’re free for now. See you on the road

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-04-19 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Adde quote by TimothyH
Old 08-04-19, 06:32 AM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by einstruzende
I was a pretty serious cyclist from 2003 through 2010, and ended up switching to running for years. Trying to go back to cycling, but I find I am now convinced I'm going to be hit by a car and killed.

I know, statistics probably say better chance of getting hit by lightning or something, but it's always there, and it is almost paralyzing my motivation.

Anyone go through this? I did have one cycling acquaintance die on the road back in 2009, I think that has something to do with it. He seemed invincible.

read the article "the abc's of awareness"

if you ride scared you will be more hesitant and, IMO, more likely to get hurt. take your space on the road and become part of the traffic when you can. get a mirror and be hyper vigilant of what nearby cars are doing by looking and listening. when at intersections, no matter how tempting not to, follow proper traffic laws for cars and become "one of the cars." don't hesitate and look drivers in the eye.

stay off of roads that are not safe for bicycles. google maps, with bicycling tab selected, will give you good indications if you are not familiar with the area.

you will improve your odds of not being hurt exponentially if you use your head.
Old 08-04-19, 08:33 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by tntyz
Read one article about a cycling death and suddenly your news feed is filled with them. This can distort your perception about how dangerous cycling on the road is.
Then read this to balance things out.

https://www.propublica.org/article/u...at-many-speeds
Old 08-04-19, 01:40 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Yeah?
Interesting
Indeed! I don’t care much for the deaths on offer in offshore sailboat racing, either, much as I love it. Far better to take a big clot to the heart or the lungs, while sitting on the couch. No big accident scene, no traumatized driver, no law suit, no heroic surgery, no SAR assets activated. If that happens, I give everyone permission to say I died doing what I loved.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 08-04-19 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-04-19, 02:39 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by tntyz
Then it feeds on itself. Next step, every other motorist on the road is out to get you. The hallmark of our fears and phobias. Easy enough to analyze, but not so easy to dismiss.

Last edited by KraneXL; 08-04-19 at 03:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-04-19, 03:45 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Of course, a road cyclist can cut the risk of death or injury by stopping at red lights and stop signs, yielding the right of way to bigger vehicles, riding roads with less traffic.... I've always done the 3rd, and I've been doing the first for a whole 2 years.

Yes, sometimes taking the whole lane is the safer way to ride, but in general, it's best not to compete with vehicles that are both bigger and faster than one's own vehicle. I always knew that, but it took a long time to get my body aligned with my brain on that point.

Yeah, it's annoying to stop at a stop sign because a car has the ROW only to have the car stop and give me the ROW, but I'm safer than when I rode aggressively. (And yeah, I know some POS can appear to yield and then run me down when I'm in the intersection....)
Old 08-04-19, 03:57 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I've been riding 50+ years, and haven't had any issues, now that I'm in my 70's, I'm a little more cautious . I'm using front and rear flashing lights, a small mirror (turning my head is getting harder too). I've learned to climb better, which takes me out into more rural areas, less traffic. And as mentioned earlier, bike paths are not safe , either. Yell "on your left" to a kid, and they turn to the left, to see whats up, and veer into me. Granted, you won't die on the bike path, but you or your bike will get damaged. Also, I signal, point the way, when I need to make damn sure, a motorist knows where I'm going.

For my wife's peace of mind, I use Garmin live track. KB
Old 08-04-19, 04:01 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by philbob57
Of course, a road cyclist can cut the risk of death or injury by stopping at red lights and stop signs, yielding the right of way to bigger vehicles, riding roads with less traffic.... I've always done the 3rd, and I've been doing the first for a whole 2 years.

Yes, sometimes taking the whole lane is the safer way to ride, but in general, it's best not to compete with vehicles that are both bigger and faster than one's own vehicle. I always knew that, but it took a long time to get my body aligned with my brain on that point.

Yeah, it's annoying to stop at a stop sign because a car has the ROW only to have the car stop and give me the ROW, but I'm safer than when I rode aggressively. (And yeah, I know some POS can appear to yield and then run me down when I'm in the intersection....)
Have you don't that? I have, on more than one occasion, just as an experiment. Roughly 80% of the time its just not necessary. Unlike sitting back in a vehicle isolated from the world, on a bike you're" out in the open" with virtually unlimited vision and sound.

With the exception of blind intersection (20%) you can clearly see -- and hear -- anything coming way before you reach the intersection. You're stopping for the law, I get that. But there's nobody around to know or see it. Just try it for a ride -- but be methodical -- and let us know how it works out.

Last edited by KraneXL; 08-04-19 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-04-19, 04:10 PM
Jim from Boston

Earlier on this threat I posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I try to keep safe with certain aphorisms in my head that come to mind to alert me when I encounter a situation where unseen dangers may lurk, such as “Like a weapon, assume every stopped car is loaded, with an occupant ready to exit from either side.” or“Don’t ride over an area (such as puddles or leaves) when you can’t see the road surface" …

FWIW, for my own information at least, my other aphorisms beside those above [see the link: Total of nine (9), to include:

• #1...#6
  • #4 You don’t have the right-of-way until the other yields it to you (learned from my teacher in driver's ed)
  • # 7 Truck at corner in sight, don't go right." I’m also wary of passing on the right at an intersection, especially next to a bus or truck, after reading of fatalities on my routes
  • #8...#9...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-04-19 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-04-19, 04:28 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Oh, sure, if I have the visibility, I probably won't stop in practice unless I see potential danger from another user of the road.

Not everybody is wise to trust hearing. I need hearing aids, for example, and I don't wear them while riding (because I fear I'll lose one or both). also, a helmet can screw sounds up.

But if one is truly afraid of being hit, the safest course is probably to stop.
Old 08-04-19, 06:25 PM
Jim from Boston

Oh, sure, if I have the visibility, I probably won't stop in practice unless I see potential danger from another user of the road.

Not everybody is wise to trust hearing. I need hearing aids, for example, and I don't wear them while riding (because I fear I'll lose one or both). also, a helmet can screw sounds up.

But if one is truly afraid of being hit, the safest course is probably to stop.
So if I may ask, do you wear / use a rearview mirror?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.