Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Leaked Photo of 2020 Trek Domane?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Leaked Photo of 2020 Trek Domane?

Old 07-28-19, 08:16 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders

In short, I don't like the idea of large cutouts in bike tubes. Small cutouts for cables is as far as I want it taken.
+1

Trek is a new player in the CF bike game, so I'm sure they never thought this could be a problem.

Old 07-28-19, 09:28 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
I agree.

My whinge was more an aesthetic critique.
I will have to see it in person but my initial impression by viewing the pictures and video is that it’s pretty well done from an aesthetic standpoint imho. And if the result is that I don’t have to have a saddlebag then in my view it improves the aesthetic.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 07-29-19, 02:39 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Okay, let me get my whinge on again.

Whilst I am sure that Trek has made sure that having that storage area doesn't compromise the structural integrity of the downtube, I can't help but wonder if in reinforcing the downtube to take into account the storage area, we end up with a less than optimal contribution to ride quality(even if that negative contribution is quite small).

In short, I don't like the idea of large cutouts in bike tubes. Small cutouts for cables is as far as I want it taken.
The guy that phones Taiwan and say "design us a new frame" in house artisan frame scientists have been told to bulk up the downtube and create cutouts for the incoming flood of battery bikes, so the skills are needed. Being able to dump the seatbag will apeal to the masses, and makes the specy solution look ridiculous (like they need help).
Old 07-29-19, 06:58 AM
OhioJTrek

Bikes: 2019 Domane SL 5

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Stopped by my local Trek, but they had not received any 2020 models yet.. Bummer, I just wanted a quick peak
Old 07-29-19, 12:19 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
SL5 in Rage Red, I'm digging it.

Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 07-29-19, 12:37 PM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Saw one yesterday at the shop. The downtube storage is nice. I use the DI2 downtube port on my Checkpoint for 2nd tube storage, but it is only 25mm wide and bolted down. This is much nicer. I'm going to pick up the tool roll as I don't see another one on the market in the long format that is soft to prevent noise.

The seat mast pisses me off. I current Trek seat mast is AWFUL in a few ways. 1) The single bolt solution is the worst single bolt solution on the market, making it the worst on the market. You cannot micro adjust for tilt. 2) They don't have an integrated light mound on it for some reason. 3) It is stiff and you cannot get a more flexy version. 4) very limited sizes/offsets available. The setup means I need to live with the current one on my Checkpoint.

That stem needs to go. Giant, Shimano, BMC, cannondale, etc have all figured out better ways to get the cable to flow through the stem, out the back. I bet we'll see a nicer solution. I bet someone beat them to some mechanical patent.

Interesting they are moving the Domane into what I'll call the "Standard" bike category from the performance bike category. Specialized tried to do this with the Diverge awhile back when it came out. They didn't have a fat-tire gravel bike, so it didn't make any sense to anyone. The world has moved on and Trek has a gravel bike to push the mindset on this bike back to "road". It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Emonda now. I bet we'll see a bend rear on it and a few aero touches, moving it to Stiff & Light + Comfort.
Old 07-29-19, 02:14 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3
It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Emonda now. I bet we'll see a bend rear on it and a few aero touches, moving it to Stiff & Light + Comfort.
Do you mean like some kind of IsoSpeed? If so, I doubt it. Well, I don't think that it would make sense, at least. The Domane and Madone specialize in comfort and aero respectively - you can give up a little weight for those. Weight, on the other hand *is* the Emonda specialty, and I really think that they should keep it that way.
Old 07-29-19, 02:25 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Do you mean like some kind of IsoSpeed? If so, I doubt it. Well, I don't think that it would make sense, at least. The Domane and Madone specialize in comfort and aero respectively - you can give up a little weight for those. Weight, on the other hand *is* the Emonda specialty, and I really think that they should keep it that way.
You could say the same about the SuperSix Hi-mod, which was the darling of weight weenies everywhere until this year. And various other “lightweight” bikes like the Tarmac etc.
Old 07-30-19, 07:58 AM
skipm

Bikes: 2023 Specialized Sirrus X 5.0

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
[QUOTE=Rides4Beer;21050080]SL5 in Rage Red, I'm digging it.

Looks better in person, the pictures on Trek's website doesn't do it justice. Which is why today is new bike today for me. I stopped by my local LBS during my lunch hour yesterday to check out a 54cm 2019 Domane SL 6 Disc with close-out pricing and while I'm looking at that bike she says that they have a new 2020 Domane in the back they just finished putting together and would I like to take a look at it as well. It was an 54cm SL 5 in Rage Red and it was so striking that I lost all interest in the 2019 SL 6. After throwing some pedals on it and a quick fit I took it for a 30 minute test ride. The geometry is definitely more relaxed than the Specialized Crux I'm used to and the IsoSpeed is pretty cool. I'm 5'9" and around 155 lbs and for me the IsoSpeed basically isolates you from the usual road vibration and jolts you would typically feel. You look down and you can see that the road is not the smoothest but none of that is felt in your hands and arms. It's not bouncy at all, nothing like the Redshift ShockStop Stem I have on my CruX.

To make a long story short, I bought it, and yes I'm superficial because the Rage Red color had a lot to do with the decision, it's a gorgeous bike color and I've not seen one like it before. I'm having them swap out the stock alloy wheelset for a set of carbon Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3's, they gave me a 15% discount on them since I'm getting them with a new bike purchase and I added the Bontrager Blendr mounts in the front for my light and Garmin. I also purchased that mini multi-tool that fits in the storage slot but they won't have it until Thursday. I'm picking it up today at lunch, I'll post some pictures when I'm back in the office and if you know anyone in the market for a bone stock, gently ridden 2018 Specialized CruX Elite X1 (Gloss Cast Blue/Rocket Red/Cool Gray) that has never been raced or ridden off-road, send them my way please.
Likes For skipm:
Old 07-30-19, 08:26 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by skipm
Looks better in person, the pictures on Trek's website doesn't do it justice. Which is why today is new bike today for me. I stopped by my local LBS during my lunch hour yesterday to check out a 54cm 2019 Domane SL 6 Disc with close-out pricing and while I'm looking at that bike she says that they have a new 2020 Domane in the back they just finished putting together and would I like to take a look at it as well. It was an 54cm SL 5 in Rage Red and it was so striking that I lost all interest in the 2019 SL 6. After throwing some pedals on it and a quick fit I took it for a 30 minute test ride. The geometry is definitely more relaxed than the Specialized Crux I'm used to and the IsoSpeed is pretty cool. I'm 5'9" and around 155 lbs and for me the IsoSpeed basically isolates you from the usual road vibration and jolts you would typically feel. You look down and you can see that the road is not the smoothest but none of that is felt in your hands and arms. It's not bouncy at all, nothing like the Redshift ShockStop Stem I have on my CruX.

To make a long story short, I bought it, and yes I'm superficial because the Rage Red color had a lot to do with the decision, it's a gorgeous bike color and I've not seen one like it before. I'm having them swap out the stock alloy wheelset for a set of carbon Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3's, they gave me a 15% discount on them since I'm getting them with a new bike purchase and I added the Bontrager Blendr mounts in the front for my light and Garmin. I also purchased that mini multi-tool that fits in the storage slot but they won't have it until Thursday. I'm picking it up today at lunch, I'll post some pictures when I'm back in the office and if you know anyone in the market for a bone stock, gently ridden 2018 Specialized CruX Elite X1 (Gloss Cast Blue/Rocket Red/Cool Gray) that has never been raced or ridden off-road, send them my way please.
Congrats!! It's def my favorite Trek color, but I've never seen it on a bike or trim level that was actually on my radar (the Madone SLR8 just isn't in the budget lol). Looking forward to some real world pictures!

My next road bike will be disc, and now that I've been riding my gravel bike with more relaxed geometry, I'm open to "endurance" bikes, and the Domane is looking really good.
Old 07-30-19, 10:34 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

[QUOTE=skipm;21051399]
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer

Can't wait to see some close up pics once you get it! I know all about coveting a bike for it's color. Before I pulled the trigger on my Cannondale Super6 Evo, I was really in love with a Synapse in Oxblood. The problem was that it was the last of it's kind/size at the LBS and it had three 1cm paint chips on the top tube facing the rider. I couldn't spend over $2K and see those chips. So I did the only logical thing and spent even more. But I do love the Di2 on the S6 though, and the color is also to my liking...but not as much as the Oxblood...
Old 07-30-19, 11:54 AM
skipm

[QUOTE=skipm;21051399]
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer

Just a couple of quick snaps before I had to rush back to the office. I'll take more this evening when I get home. A couple of quick notes, I'm glad I sprung for the carbon wheelset, they are noticeably lighter than the stock alloy ones on this bike. And those Blendr bits definitely clean up the front, the 3 pieces I needed cost about the same as a K-Edge out-front mount. The Shimano 105 brifters seem to be a lot bigger and grippier around the hoods than I recall. They feel very much like the SRAM Rival ones on my CruX, which I really like. And that mini multi-tool that fits in the storage area in the downtube is $35. And the color seems to change depending on how the light hits it even though it doesn't have that shimmerily colorway some have.

Old 07-30-19, 12:10 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
I appreciate the Trek paint shop people's creativity with standard colors (red, blue, green, silver) and finding ways to make it fun rather than just something like "fire engine red."

Bike looks great. Enjoy it!
Old 07-30-19, 12:13 PM
CarloM

Very sharp bike! And yes you're right about it changing colors in various lighting...it's like getting multiple paint jobs for one price!

From the inside-the-LBS pics it looked pretty close to the Oxblood, but the outside shot behind your SUV makes it look considerably brighter/redder. Makes me a little sad that frame-only comes in one color scheme...and that ain't it.
Old 07-30-19, 12:31 PM
Rides4Beer

Just a couple of quick snaps before I had to rush back to the office. I'll take more this evening when I get home. A couple of quick notes, I'm glad I sprung for the carbon wheelset, they are noticeably lighter than the stock alloy ones on this bike. And those Blendr bits definitely clean up the front, the 3 pieces I needed cost about the same as a K-Edge out-front mount. The Shimano 105 brifters seem to be a lot bigger and grippier around the hoods than I recall. They feel very much like the SRAM Rival ones on my CruX, which I really like. And that mini multi-tool that fits in the storage area in the downtube is $35. And the color seems to change depending on how the light hits it even though it doesn't have that shimmerily colorway some have.
Looks great!! I probably shouldn't go test ride one.
Old 07-30-19, 12:52 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3
The seat mast pisses me off. 3) It is stiff and you cannot get a more flexy version.
This seems like a major design flaw on this bike.

It just doesn't make sense.

-Tim-
Old 07-30-19, 01:06 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by TimothyH
This seems like a major design flaw on this bike.

It just doesn't make sense.

-Tim-
Eh? I'm not following - what doesn't make sense?
Old 07-30-19, 01:43 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
They have really just cleaned it up a bit with the new cabling, seat mast and storage.
Cables coming in behind the steerer reduces the amount of exposed cable but is a bit more prone to binding when you turn the bars. Also the internal run through the frame isn't as straight forward as with it coming in at the down tube.
Old 07-30-19, 02:33 PM
road292

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
To make a long story short, I bought it
Bike looks great!

Question: Did you opt for the SL5 (105/7000 groupset) vs. the SL6 (Ultegra/8000 groupset) because an SL5 was all the shop had in stock, or because the extra ~$900 for the SL6 seemed too much, or something else?
Old 07-31-19, 10:13 AM
skipm

Originally Posted by road292
Bike looks great!

Question: Did you opt for the SL5 (105/7000 groupset) vs. the SL6 (Ultegra/8000 groupset) because an SL5 was all the shop had in stock, or because the extra ~$900 for the SL6 seemed too much, or something else?
Thanx! To your question, and I have no first hand knowledge on this other than watching the YouTube videos the guys from GCN provide, but there doesn't seem to be much difference between the Shimano 11-speed mechanical groupsets now other than weight. Since my last two bikes were SRAM equiped, (Apex & Rival) I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Now I did briefly toy with the idea of ordering the SL 7 eTap Domane after taking a quick spin on an SL 7 Emonda eTap equiped bike but that would have set me back another 3 grand, plus I could get it in any color I wanted as long as it was black. It's amazing the thought process we go through to rationalize a new bike.

No new pictures unfortunately since a freaking thunderstorm arrived at my house the same time I did last night.

-Skip
Old 07-31-19, 12:33 PM
CarloM

My own opinion is I wouldn't pay $900 for an upgrade from the 105 R7000 to the Ultegra R8000 series. I have the 105 on my Trek FXS6 and I have ridden several Ultegra mechanical. The performance is very, very close. Sure the Ultegra might be a bit "tighter" in shifting performance...but not $900 better. The thing I would pay more money for is Di2. I have the Ultegra Di2 system on my road bike and that's worth the extra coin.
Old 08-01-19, 08:43 AM
Rides4Beer

Originally Posted by CarloM
My own opinion is I wouldn't pay $900 for an upgrade from the 105 R7000 to the Ultegra R8000 series. I have the 105 on my Trek FXS6 and I have ridden several Ultegra mechanical. The performance is very, very close. Sure the Ultegra might be a bit "tighter" in shifting performance...but not $900 better. The thing I would pay more money for is Di2. I have the Ultegra Di2 system on my road bike and that's worth the extra coin.
+1 I have r8000 on my Transonic and r7000 on my Revolt and the shifting performance is exactly the same, imo. They both shift very smoothly, front and rear, I'd be perfectly happy with r7000 on any bike.
Old 08-02-19, 08:40 PM
CarloM

So I saw my first 2020 Domane. SL 5. I wasn’t prepared for how chunky the down tube was. Also the door to the compartment didn’t seem to sit flush when closed. Also surprised at how heavy it was. When I looked it up later it turns out it weighs just about as much as my FX S6.

I’ll have to wait until I see an SLR. That weighs almost 2.5 lbs less. I knew the SL wasn’t going to be a bike for weight weenies but I was honestly surprised by how much it did weigh in-hand.
Old 08-02-19, 09:17 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by CarloM
So I saw my first 2020 Domane. SL 5. I wasn’t prepared for how chunky the down tube was. Also the door to the compartment didn’t seem to sit flush when closed. Also surprised at how heavy it was. When I looked it up later it turns out it weighs just about as much as my FX S6.

I’ll have to wait until I see an SLR. That weighs almost 2.5 lbs less. I knew the SL wasn’t going to be a bike for weight weenies but I was honestly surprised by how much it did weigh in-hand.
I mean, no one is going to mistake it for a climber, but keep in mind that the stock wheels and tires are heavy. There's a lot of weight to be saved there even if you don't touch anything else.
Old 08-02-19, 10:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad

I wouldn't be confident with that stem long term. If if fails, you're going down. I know adjustable stems are reliable, but they're not meant to have any give. Will the mechanism wear out over time, and will you know if it does? I like my teeth too much for that.

It could be perfectly reliable, I'm not trying to disparage it. I'm explaining why a person might go for a different option even when this exists.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.