Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

First Gravel Bike

Old 07-27-19, 12:43 PM
Mojo Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First Gravel Bike

Hi all, great forum here. I've gotten a lot of info reading old threads. I'm interested in a new gravel bike and would be interested in getting some opinions.

A little background on me. I'm in my 40's and my current bike is an old (early 1990's) Trek 930 mountain bike. I live near a greenway (paved with some boardwalk sections) and a state park with hard packed gravel. I'm well overdue for a bike upgrade and I want to get something that will be good for those surfaces. My plan is a shortish ride once or twice a week and a longer ride once on the weekend. Usually by myself, but maybe an occasional group ride as well. My preferred budget is around $1,500-$2,000 (I was originally thinking even less, but I think I need to up it slightly to that level to get something I'll be happy with). I want to buy something from my LBS so I can try it out first and so I have a point of contact for maintenance, group rides, etc. I've been to a handful of shops and ridden about a half-dozen bikes.
  • Specialized Diverge: I've ridden a few of these. I rode the E5 Elite and the E5 comp. On the E5 comp I liked the feel of the Future Shock. From reading old posts, there are mixed reviews (to say the least) on that piece of equipment. I also liked the hydraulic brakes. Overall I liked the E5 comp, but it is near the top of my budget and I'm a bit concerned about how well the Future Shock will last. Considering I am currently riding a a 25+ year old bike, I expect things to last.
  • Surly Midnight Special: This was one of the first bikes I rode and I liked the feel of it. I liked the SRAM shifters (don't think I had ever ridden those before), but this is also pretty close to the top of my budget, which seems pricey for a Cro-Moly bike.
  • Trek Checkpoint: I rode the AL 4 and thought it felt okay. Kind of down the middle. Didn't love it or dislike it.
  • Salsa Journeyman Sora: This was one of the less expensive bikes I rode. Didn't make a great impression, and I felt like I did notice the jumps in shifting, but maybe I should go back and try one of the slightly upscale Salsa bikes (what is the next step up?). I know the Sora component group is not as nice as what is on the others that I liked more.
  • All City Space Horse: Didn't care for this one.
In addition to thoughts on those specific bikes or others I might want to check out, I am wondering about fit. I'm about 6 foot 2.5 inches, and I've gotten differing answers on what the best size frame would be (even for the same bike). For the Diverge, I've been told the 58 and the 61 at different shops. For the Trek I was told 61, and the Midnight Special 58. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of a slightly big or slightly small frame?

Also, how big of a difference is a carbon fiber frame? Those are mostly aluminum with carbon forks. For an average rider (I'm obviously not going to be competitively racing) how big a difference is that. Do I need to suck it up and spend some more $$ to upgrade to a better frame?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Old 07-27-19, 02:45 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I’m in my 50’s and just started riding again, after a 20+ year hiatus. Ive ridden extensively this year though, about 3,000 miles split between 3 bikes. Anyhow, I bought a 2019 Specialized Roubaix in April, and it is equipped with a future shock, which works great. I’m not sure what trouble one would expect from it, worst case you could replace the spring if it suited you.
I don’t have enough experience to offer advice on any of the other bikes you mentioned, but I wish you good luck!
Old 07-27-19, 02:46 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
They are all really nice bikes. I can’t imagine there are other bikes out there that will be radically different than the ones you tried. I have always liked steel bikes. But material is a personal thing. Any of the ones you mentioned will serve you well. Surly has a bit of a cult following. So if you don’t like it resale will be on the high side. Good luck on whatever you choose.
Old 07-27-19, 05:46 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Rider
My plan is a shortish ride once or twice a week and a longer ride once on the weekend. Usually by myself, but maybe an occasional group ride as well. My preferred budget is around $1,500-$2,000 (I was originally thinking even less, but I think I need to up it slightly to that level to get something I'll be happy with). I want to buy something from my LBS so I can try it out first and so I have a point of contact for maintenance, group rides, etc. I've been to a handful of shops and ridden about a half-dozen bikes.
  • Specialized Diverge: I've ridden a few of these. I rode the E5 Elite and the E5 comp. On the E5 comp I liked the feel of the Future Shock. From reading old posts, there are mixed reviews (to say the least) on that piece of equipment. I also liked the hydraulic brakes. Overall I liked the E5 comp, but it is near the top of my budget and I'm a bit concerned about how well the Future Shock will last. Considering I am currently riding a a 25+ year old bike, I expect things to last.
  • Surly Midnight Special: This was one of the first bikes I rode and I liked the feel of it. I liked the SRAM shifters (don't think I had ever ridden those before), but this is also pretty close to the top of my budget, which seems pricey for a Cro-Moly bike.
  • Trek Checkpoint: I rode the AL 4 and thought it felt okay. Kind of down the middle. Didn't love it or dislike it.
  • Salsa Journeyman Sora: This was one of the less expensive bikes I rode. Didn't make a great impression, and I felt like I did notice the jumps in shifting, but maybe I should go back and try one of the slightly upscale Salsa bikes (what is the next step up?). I know the Sora component group is not as nice as what is on the others that I liked more.
  • All City Space Horse: Didn't care for this one.
In addition to thoughts on those specific bikes or others I might want to check out, I am wondering about fit. I'm about 6 foot 2.5 inches, and I've gotten differing answers on what the best size frame would be (even for the same bike). For the Diverge, I've been told the 58 and the 61 at different shops. For the Trek I was told 61, and the Midnight Special 58. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of a slightly big or slightly small frame?

Also, how big of a difference is a carbon fiber frame? Those are mostly aluminum with carbon forks. For an average rider (I'm obviously not going to be competitively racing) how big a difference is that. Do I need to suck it up and spend some more $$ to upgrade to a better frame?
I have lots of thoughts here so I'll try to impart what I've learned, and my opinions, succinctly.

Diverge: I'm with you. I've done the proprietary thing and I swear I won't ever do it again. Bikes are supposed fun, simple machines. I've sworn off proprietary bikes (and that's saying a lot considering I'm a Cannondale fanboy)
Midnight Special: A one-off pretty cool, heavy, overpriced machine that you'd probably like but would need to fit your riding style to a "T" to really love. From what you describe it has that potential.
Checkpoint: Great bike with modern features. I'm surprised you didn't like it more. Pinpointing why you didn't love it would be very helpful. It may be changeable.
Journeyman: Heavy, entry-level gravel bike that I'm not surprised you didn't love. It's a great value and that's why they sell an absolute SH*T-TON of them. The jumps in shifting you felt are because the gearing isn't 11 speed, definitely normal. The next step up is the Journeyman Apex 1. You'll get the same boring frame with the same jumps in gearing due to the 1X drivetrain. https://salsacycles.com/bikes/journe...man_apex_1_700
Space horse: You didn't like it. Moving on.

About your fit: At 6' 2.5" you're looking at least at a 58cm, and likely a 61cm. The reason this is difficult is because not all heights are created equally. For example, every fitter I tried put me on a 58cm at my 5' 11.5" height. It took me 4 years to figure out (on my own) that I needed a 55-56cm. My Salsa Warbird is a 54.5cm. Me and big bikes don't get along because I have short arms and femurs for my height. Now, that doesn't help you directly but it gives you an idea that there is a range you can fit on most likely. If you can talk the LBS into letting you try out a bike past a parking lot jaunt that would help tremendously.

And lastly, to answer your question about whether carbon is necessary: No. You have your budget, and it's a good one. You can can get a great bike for that money and you should stick with it.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 07-27-19, 06:08 PM
itskohler

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Look into the Cannondale Topstone line up. And I'm not being biased at all, not one bit, even though I ride my Topstone more than any other bike I own.
Likes For itskohler:
Old 07-27-19, 06:29 PM
Mojo Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the responses so far.
@sarhog, have you liked the Roubaix and the Future Shock? I have read people complain about them rattling, and I know some of them had a recall when they first came out, but it seems they have gotten those issues fixed, and like I said, I did like the feel when I rode the Diverge E5 comp. I didn't try the Roubaix. I think I actually tried an Allez on my first trip to the LBS, but then after talking to them and thinking about where I will be riding, I decided to focus more on gravel bikes so I could have the flexibility.
@cs1, thanks for the good wishes. I'm looking forward to getting back to riding more often. Trying to take my time and make a good decision before I buy so I don't second-guess myself.
@shoota, with the Checkpoint they only had a 58 in stock, and I suspect a 61 would fit me better for that model, that might be part of why I didn't like it as much. I also rode a 58 Midnight Special, but I have read that they tend to run a little large, so that might be the right size for me on that model. Don't think I'm interested in a 1x drivetrain. I anticipate mostly riding on the greenway, but also the gravel so I want a bit more range, and I don't love the huge jumps. I think you are right on the carbon. Would def be nice to have, but I just don't think I can justify the extra $$, and I haven't come across any in my price range (although most/all of the aluminum bikes have a carbon fork).
Old 07-27-19, 06:48 PM
Mojo Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by itskohler
Look into the Cannondale Topstone line up. And I'm not being biased at all, not one bit, even though I ride my Topstone more than any other bike I own.
I did kind of want to check out a Cannondale, I was surprised when there weren't any at the handful of stores I went to.
Old 07-27-19, 06:55 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
To help with your size, I'm 6'2" (maybe slightly under), with a long torso, and ride a 59.5cm Salsa Vaya. I had test ridden a 57cm (all I could find) and it was too small.
Old 07-27-19, 07:18 PM
sarhog

@sarhog, have you liked the Roubaix and the Future Shock? I have read people complain about them rattling, and I know some of them had a recall when they first came out, but it seems they have gotten those issues fixed, and like I said, I did like the feel when I rode the Diverge E5 comp. I didn't try the Roubaix. I think I actually tried an Allez on my first trip to the LBS, but then after talking to them and thinking about where I will be riding, I decided to focus more on gravel bikes so I could have the flexibility.
I am a fan of the Roubaix, futureshock and all. Full disclosure, the only other “road bike” I have ridden in the last 20 years is a Kona Jake (cross bike). The Roubaix is head and shoulders more comfortable.
Good luck.
Old 08-03-19, 09:19 AM
Mojo Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What do people recommend as the minimum maximum tire width? 38 mm 40? 42?

I'm also thinking of adding the new Domane into the mix.
Old 08-03-19, 10:22 AM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I’m not a fan of proprietary stuff and that’s why the Diverge was never on my list. I’m not saying it isnt a good bike. A ton of people like them.

I am 6” 1.5” and a 58 frame is what I fit in, but any taller and I would go fo a 60. I feel your pain about being in between sizes.

As far as frame material, carbon is better but that doesn’t mean that aluminum bikes are bad at all. I know it wasn’t on your list, but check out the Giant Revolt’s if you have a dealer next to you. I love mine and they are quite the value compared to Spec and Trek.
Old 08-03-19, 10:53 AM
Danbob

Bikes: 2016 Modded Trek Domane 4.5, 2007 Gary Fisher Paragon 29er

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a look at one of the steel jamis renegades...great bike, great value, and gorgeous.
Old 08-05-19, 09:25 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
If you have Giant dealer, check out the Revolt Advanced. I'm loving mine, very comfortable on and off road. I have the 2, which used to be the base model, for '20 they added a 3 to the lineup which is $1850 (Tiagra and Giant's hyd/mech Conduct setup). The 2 is $2450 with 105 hyd. Full carbon frame with room for 45mm tires. All of the frames are the same, so you could always get the 3 and upgrade components later.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...-advanced-2020

Here's mine (this color was only for 2019, probably some still available).

Old 08-06-19, 09:56 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
If you have a Kona dealer nearby, check out the Rove line. I have a 2019 Rove ST that I absolutely love. I recently rented the aluminum w/carbon fork Rove NRB on a trip, and it was nice too (though I far prefer steel). I think Kona offers great bang for buck.
Old 08-08-19, 10:21 AM
richard.susanto

Bikes: Canyon Grail CF SL Disc 8.0, Canyon Endurace CF SLX Disc 8.0 ETAP

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Bigger size always helps with a rougher terrain. I ride 40 tyres tubeless, typically at around 30 - 40 psi. Definitely helps with smoothing out the vibration and also it feels faster and more stable on gravel and crushed stone trail.

By the way, have you looked into Canyon Grail as well? The aluminum model (Canyon Grail 7.0) is an amazing value. It has won several awards since it was introduced last year.

I've been riding the carbon version of the Grail since Spring and loving it.

Richard
Old 08-08-19, 12:27 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
What do people recommend as the minimum maximum tire width? 38 mm 40? 42?

I'm also thinking of adding the new Domane into the mix.
40mm.

that is rather the standard, and there is a lot of choice in that area.

nothing wrong with 38. I had a bike that only took 38 in the rear (and that was pushing it), but I could hardly tell the difference between the 38 and the 40 (other than the 40 would rub, lol).

Bigger than 40, and you start getting heavy and more dedicated - much larger than 45 and many people would be better going to 650b.

I ride 32mm in summer/fall when our gravel is good. 40mm for longer more dedicated rides, and in the winter/spring when gravel is rougher, or freshly resurfaced.
Old 08-08-19, 12:47 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I currently swap between a 38, 42, or 45. Point being, it depends on you and what you want out of it. In my experience, the right tires and the pressure make the absolute biggest difference in ride feel, comfort, and speed and set the tone of the ride for the given conditions. It's more than the size that matters. Example: there are 40c tires that are great at X but suck at Y and visa versa

Last edited by u235; 08-08-19 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-08-19, 02:21 PM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I have a Checkpoint carbon (SL). Just get the aluminum frame. With tires, it won't make a ride difference. The carbon bikes usually have better cable routing through the frame, which is nice if you're riding in sand. Modern hydroformed AL frames ride about the same as carbon frames. If it rides bad, you can always change out the seatpost, bars, and tires.

Make sure you have tire clearance for 42mm if you're going to be riding on soft surfaces and a 3+ bottle cage locations if you're going to long summer rides in rural areas.

I think a lot of those bikes are going to be about the same. A lot of the differences are going to be the standard tires, the amount of air pressure in there, and the standard saddle. I'd pick the best color.
Old 08-10-19, 09:46 PM
spokenfour

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Loving Future Shock

I started out riding recreationally, commuting on cheap hardtails, got into roadbikes, again cheap steel frames mostly old school, and finally about 6 years ago got a decent entry level road bike that I rode around for about 4 years until I found out It was a woman's bike (Bianchi Via Nirone Sora) But, secure in my manhood, I didn't get rid of Old Girl because of the paint job(I don't really know to this day what makes the Sora a girl bike. It fit me well, I rode the hell out of it and I didn't grow ti**ies)What in fact caused me to get rid of it was my desire to get back to my practical gravelly beginnings and buy a gravel bike : the Specialized Diverge e5 Comp. It has proven to be a worthy partner : Although not fast and nimble in a group ride( that's ok , I'm not either of those, either) It is fast enough for organized rides and delivers in its ability to handle different surfaces. The only difficulty I've had is trying to use 28mm tires instead of the stock 30mm. While I get the expected increase in nimbleness, I have had occasional pedal strikes. After getting about a third of my tire wear, I've gone back to the original 30mm Espoirs with a view towards some 32 contis. The bike is a little pricey,as you're paying for the name, but the Specialized people near me give great service. After owning the bike about 10 months, I've changed the stick seat to a calcium c17 and shortened the 100mm stem to a 70mm, which has improved handling. I think it's a reliable, handsome bike. I've even named it .
Old 08-11-19, 07:37 AM
sarhog

Originally Posted by spokenfour
I started out riding recreationally, commuting on cheap hardtails, got into roadbikes, again cheap steel frames mostly old school, and finally about 6 years ago got a decent entry level road bike that I rode around for about 4 years until I found out It was a woman's bike (Bianchi Via Nirone Sora) But, secure in my manhood, I didn't get rid of Old Girl because of the paint job(I don't really know to this day what makes the Sora a girl bike. It fit me well, I rode the hell out of it and I didn't grow ti**ies)What in fact caused me to get rid of it was my desire to get back to my practical gravelly beginnings and buy a gravel bike : the Specialized Diverge e5 Comp. It has proven to be a worthy partner : Although not fast and nimble in a group ride( that's ok , I'm not either of those, either) It is fast enough for organized rides and delivers in its ability to handle different surfaces. The only difficulty I've had is trying to use 28mm tires instead of the stock 30mm. While I get the expected increase in nimbleness, I have had occasional pedal strikes. After getting about a third of my tire wear, I've gone back to the original 30mm Espoirs with a view towards some 32 contis. The bike is a little pricey,as you're paying for the name, but the Specialized people near me give great service. After owning the bike about 10 months, I've changed the stick seat to a calcium c17 and shortened the 100mm stem to a 70mm, which has improved handling. I think it's a reliable, handsome bike. I've even named it .
Old 08-11-19, 02:37 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
TL DR version: he loved his new roubaix he even named it, although change to 70mm stem shows the frame is too big for him
Old 08-17-19, 09:02 AM
sfh

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So I bough a Midnight Special a year ago. As said above, it's a cool bike that's heavy and expensive. But I love riding it -- still can't believe how much I enjoy the 650B.

For gravel . . . consider All City Mr Pink Classic. Available at a great price right now (the green one with Tiagra drivetrain) for a sweet frame with clearance for 32cm tires. Certainly a more nimble ride than Space Horse. Just matters if you want disc brakes I guess.