Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo Loading LII

Old 08-01-19, 08:20 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Carbo Loading LII

I think I made a Roman Numeral error back on June 1, should have been “L” instead of XLX. Jsigone added an I to it for July. So hopefully this gets us back on track. Keep pedaling and stay cool!
Old 08-01-19, 09:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,466 Times in 7,307 Posts
I have ridden a bike since June 29th. Had a muscle biopsy on July 9th. Doubt I will be in good enough condition to do our club's annual ride to Brooklyn the Sunday before Labor Day. I am also having a hard time imagining being able to do my planned cross-PA tour starting the following weekend. If I think it unwise, the backup plan to drive to various trails in the state and do day rides and camp.
Old 08-01-19, 03:52 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Nobody cares about the roman numerals Jim, we've demonstrated that again... and again... and again....
Old 08-01-19, 04:08 PM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Nobody cares about the roman numerals Jim, we've demonstrated that again... and again... and again....
Indeed, but good ol' PhotoJoe started the tradition, so we should honor it! And they make more sense than Shimano's groupset model numbers!
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 08-01-19, 06:39 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
If you go the PCH way...it won't be too bad? I had fun last Sat on my ride thru Santiago. I used a route you shared with me to figure out route after Santiago Cyn. I enjoyed it. Was a first for me that I was sweating so much that I left SALT on my U/A cap under my helmet! I used two pickle juice shots and 4 bottles with electrolytes plus my camelbak filled with ice/water. Man I needed that in the canyon to get COLD water here and there.
So... right before you turn into Santiago Canyon there's a little mini mall with a gas station. I always stop there and get a Subway™ sammich (extra pickles and mustard please!) and some fresh cold water before heading into the canyon. It looks like you found Cooks corner on your own, they've never hassled me about loading up on water there either. At the end of that bike path in Dana Point, there's a public restroom with water fountains - not great tasting water but if you need it, you need it! That's what Nuun is for I guess. Even on a hot day, that's 8 bottles worth which is usually enough. If you get desperate, there are also fountains along the campsites before you reach San Onofre.

If it's really hot (or there's a fire up in Trabuco, hello!!) , we turn down Jamboree, hit a few bike paths and go through Laguna canyon, which you've probably done plenty. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30727144
Old 08-01-19, 09:06 PM
jimincalif

Yeah, I’ve gone into Cooks Corner for water, no problem. At least it’s no problem if you’re a guy who doesn’t mind walking thru a biker bar dressed in Lycra and spandex! 😱
Old 08-01-19, 10:30 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Eh, they're all Rubbies in there anyway (rich urban bikers), nothing to worry about. @tunavic and I saw a couple of really sweet looking Indians there not too long ago - that's not exactly the preferred set up for the SOA crowd.
Old 08-01-19, 11:00 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Eh, they're all Rubbies in there anyway (rich urban bikers), nothing to worry about. @tunavic and I saw a couple of really sweet looking Indians there not too long ago - that's not exactly the preferred set up for the SOA crowd.
It's also a good beer stop 😂

Old 08-02-19, 11:46 AM
jimincalif

For any of you running Windows 10, I just installed the May 2019 Features update, #1903 . My computer is now much happier, more responsive and my CPU fan is no longer running overtime.

Apparently Microsoft had patched Windows for some of the security vulnerabilities in Intel chips and these were really heavy consumers of system resources. From what I've read the new update changes the way these are implemented and significantly lightens the load. Kinda like replacing your OEM wheels with some nice carbon jobs.

Anyway, that's my experience. YMMV. It did take quite a long time for the update to install (hours), so kick it off once your done with the system for the evening.
Old 08-02-19, 01:01 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
So... right before you turn into Santiago Canyon there's a little mini mall with a gas station. I always stop there and get a Subway™ sammich (extra pickles and mustard please!) and some fresh cold water before heading into the canyon. It looks like you found Cooks corner on your own, they've never hassled me about loading up on water there either. At the end of that bike path in Dana Point, there's a public restroom with water fountains - not great tasting water but if you need it, you need it! That's what Nuun is for I guess. Even on a hot day, that's 8 bottles worth which is usually enough. If you get desperate, there are also fountains along the campsites before you reach San Onofre.

If it's really hot (or there's a fire up in Trabuco, hello!!) , we turn down Jamboree, hit a few bike paths and go through Laguna canyon, which you've probably done plenty. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30727144
I gathered you stopped at the Subway/Chevron when my routing that I borrowed off you....wanted me to turn into that shopping center off Chapman. I was barely into ride at that point having started at Orange, I ate a breakfast jack on my way to Orange station I had my full camelback w/ice and two full bottles on bike plus my pickle juice shots. Cooks is pretty decent about letting you get water tho they were out of ice in the machine. I have no issue walking thru crowd in my lycra. But with my Camelbak I was good after filling the two bottles back up. I filled up again in San Clemente at the 7/11 both bottles and added to Camelbak. The dude in 7/11 in San Clemente sort of gave me a hard time about bringing bike inside but he let me. I figured if needed I could fill up at water fountain in San Onofre but I was ok thanks to Camelbak.

I had a good day tho would have been nice if one of my friends would have joined me. Everyone who had expressed interest bailed on me.
Old 08-02-19, 02:07 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Yeah, it's a nice route. I like it.
Old 08-02-19, 02:10 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by jimincalif
For any of you running Windows 10, I just installed the May 2019 Features update, #1903 . My computer is now much happier, more responsive and my CPU fan is no longer running overtime.

Apparently Microsoft had patched Windows for some of the security vulnerabilities in Intel chips and these were really heavy consumers of system resources. From what I've read the new update changes the way these are implemented and significantly lightens the load. Kinda like replacing your OEM wheels with some nice carbon jobs.

Anyway, that's my experience. YMMV. It did take quite a long time for the update to install (hours), so kick it off once your done with the system for the evening.
Thanks for the heads up - I wonder why those dodos don't let it install over night? I just clicked on "download an update" but I'm not going to be around this evening anyway.

I really need to update my PC - I built it in 2012 and it's held up remarkably well but editing 20 MPix photos is dog slow now.
Old 08-02-19, 05:26 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

I read about those updates (like dark mode and something else I was really interested in at the time) LAST SUMMER and finally got the update. What the heck, Bill.
Old 08-04-19, 03:30 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Signed up for Zwift Academy. Put my Bianchi on the trainer.

Old 08-05-19, 10:43 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
I need this trainer ^^^ i can't seem to find time to ride outside these days

how quiet/loud is it?
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 08-05-19, 02:13 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by jsigone
I need this trainer ^^^ i can't seem to find time to ride outside these days

how quiet/loud is it?

I don't think it is terribly loud. I use not far from our bedroom often after husband has gone to bed. He hasn't complained. Once the FANS are all running full blast on top of it, the sound of the trainer is likely less noticeable. LOL I hear the TACX Neo is quieter. @TrojanHorse has a Wahoo KICKR too. Think same generation model, not sure.
Old 08-06-19, 11:32 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

@jsigone

Last night I rode trainer and started about 8PM and my workout ran until 9:20pm. I had both fans going. My husband went to bed at some point around 9pm (normal for him) and he was sound asleep when I finished riding. Noise was not terrible I would guess?
Old 08-06-19, 01:24 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

The kickr '18 and kickr core are SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than my kickr '16. Like... silent. If you have kids and noise concerns get one of those. Best choice - wait till REI has a 20% off sale. Wife has a kickr core, all you can hear is bike noise.

The Tacx Neo gen 1 is a fantastic option too, you might find one of those on sale.

Frankly, you'd think you could find more of these things used. Wahoo's refurb site is also a good option.
Old 08-07-19, 08:08 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Alright... a little over a week left, any of you SoCal peeps doing Cool Breeze?
Old 08-08-19, 10:18 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Alright... a little over a week left, any of you SoCal peeps doing Cool Breeze?
Me! I have a room but couldn't find a roommate so debating on cancelling room. Message/Text me if you might be interested in carpooling up?
Old 08-08-19, 12:16 PM
jimincalif

Getting old - can't count, or can't remember! Wednesday nights I've been riding with a local tri-club, we do hill repeats on Portola in Irvine, climbing up from Portola Springs to the dead end at the 241 toll road. One hour of up and down, I do it 6 times. So last night I rode over, did my six and came home. Only when I looked at my Strava report did I realize I'd lost count and done it 7 times!
Old 08-08-19, 02:14 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Bonus round!! hahaha
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 08-09-19, 04:55 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Was having ongoing issue with not being able to shift into big ring since purchasing Bianchi. Have it on trainer currently to do Zwift Academy. But for certain things I need the big ring. So took to Jax LB today. The freaking crank was loose! The builder of my bike didn’t do a very good job. Jax tightened that up so now the crank won’t shift over preventing FD from transferring chain to big ring.

Putting back on trainer now. Will commute on Domane.
Old 08-09-19, 09:44 PM
jimincalif

OK, here’s a weird one. Today I received four scam calls on my cell phone, purportedly from the Social Security Administration, telling me my SSN has been suspended due to suspicious activity. No big deal, and I’m thinking too bad it’s not true cause then I could quit paying taxes!

Now the weird part. Just yesterday I logged on to the Social Security Admin website to download my statement for my financial advisor. I already had an account I set up a few years ago, but SSA has now added two-factor authorization now, so I had to input my cell number, wait for a text message then input the code to complete the login. No problem, it worked fine, I downloaded my statement and logged off.

So is it just a coincidence that today I get four SSA scam calls on my cell phone? Is someone (the FBI, or maybe the Russians?) listening in to SSA web traffic? Or maybe someone is scanning text messages for codes from SSA and capturing the phone numbers?

I’m not a tin foil hat conspiracy theorist by any means, but this just seems a bit too much to be a random coincidence!
Old 08-09-19, 11:09 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

I’ve got those w/o having logged into SSA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.