Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How many “keepers” do you have?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How many “keepers” do you have?

Old 08-05-19, 06:51 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 608 Posts
I'm personally fascinated that so many people have such a high number of bicycles that they think they'll keep for years to come. I must ask, of those with five or more bikes on their list, how many of those bikes have already been owned for more than at least a couple of years? How do you decide something is a "keeper" if it's a relatively new acquisition, or if you're still adding to your collection?
Old 08-05-19, 06:56 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Three.
1973 Gran Sport. Bought new in my teens, and I still love the ride.
1978 Team Champion. Also bought new; keeper because if I sold it I’d have no bike with NR and tubulars.
1992 Ibis tandem. Even if I said it could go, I would be overruled. And it rides really nicely.
Old 08-05-19, 07:14 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 86 Posts
Out of the bikes I've built (to the left), the Monkey is the only one that I figure I could sell and actually get back most of what I put into it. I spent far too much money building the Raleigh Sports...it was my first build, had to learn everything, and things got pretty stupid. The Vertical is my go-anywhere commuter, no way am I giving that up. I love the Univega Gran Turismo too much to give it up, it rides like a dream in spite of my fat arse. The Twenty is my wife's bike, so that's not going anywhere.
Old 08-05-19, 08:04 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
I must ask, of those with five or more bikes on their list, how many of those bikes have already been owned for more than at least a couple of years? How do you decide something is a "keeper" if it's a relatively new acquisition, or if you're still adding to your collection?
Good questions. The answers vary. I bought the Peugeot UO-8 back in '72, my first derailleur bike and the only bike I ever bought new, so it's a keeper for sentimental reasons. Plus, for an inexpensive bike it rides very well. The Gran Sport was my second bike, a $10 frame bought around 1980 (I think) as an upgrade to the UO-8. It is a nice bike but currently configured for utility more than speed. My Bianchi is also set up for utility and is maybe a better rider. I end up not riding the Gran Sport much so as it stands now it would not be a keeper. The Masi is just special, a superb handler, end of story, with a bit of mystery to its history to make this one unique. I've owned it for more than 5 years. The Motobecane rides almost as nicely as the Masi, an energetic puppy full of energy and always ready to do anything, go anywhere at any speed. A recent addition, the Peugeot PF10 (originally a PFN10, meaning clincher tires) is just a joy to ride. The others are great too, different from each other, and all could be keepers if I didn't have anything better.

That doesn't really answer your question of how I decide. Mostly it is about how they feel on the road. Of course that dictates which ones get ridden the most. I picked these frames to build because they offered some aura, a promise of wonderfulness. Mostly they deliver what they promised. They are all different. But "keeper" implies something must be given up too or else we'd keep them all. If I must give up something to avoid the zombies, it would be ones that fall just a bit shorter than the rest, no matter how good they are. Or the ones that are not so different from another in the collection. So far they are all keepers.
Old 08-05-19, 09:38 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 816 Times in 420 Posts
My two keepers, the Legnano I got new 55 years ago, and the Raleigh, I built from a scrap frame 3 1/2 or so years ago. Long story short, the Legnano is my first "real" bike, and we have 55 years of history, and the Super Course was my first build, but what a joy to ride. I have newer bikes that I've had longer than the Raleigh, but they aren't on the keeper list ... as of right now. My 2007 Roubaix (had since new) is close, just missed the cut because it tried to kill me a couple of times, but that's another story ...

Last edited by Slightspeed; 08-05-19 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-05-19, 09:44 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 542 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
...and the Peugeot UO8 because it was my first lightweight bike.

@Vonruden, I couldn't see selling any of those either.

--

My keepers:

'86 LOOK Equipe/Bernard Hinault (753r) - I've had this bike since I was a teenager. Rides like a dream. Tons of nostalgia.

'89 Parkpre Team Road - This was my teenage team-issue race bike. Again, lots of nostalgia.

'90 Parkpre Team MTB - Team MTB I've had since I was a teenager. (No photo)

'90 Merlin - The bike I wanted as a teenager, though couldn't afford on e at the time. I was finally able to find one in my size a few years ago,, and it lived up to my expectations. I'm not going to let this one go.

'73 Speedwell Titalite - The garage queen. I don't ride this one much, but I love to look at it.

'72 Cilo Pacer - This is my commuter, errand, go-anywhere, do-anything, gravel, Eroica, toss-it-in-the-trunk, take-the-family-out bike. This bike fits and rides wonderfully. I've upgraded the parts over time, but it remains a quintessential C&V bike.

'85 De Rosa Professional - My only Italian, and my only bike built with a modern drivetrain. Rides nice, too.

Last edited by gaucho777; 08-06-19 at 11:32 AM.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 08-05-19, 10:32 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Keepers, ha!

I believe it was the Fabulous Thunderbirds...”One’s too many and a dozen ain’t enough.”
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 08-05-19, 10:51 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1408 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
S
1981 Schwinn Superior. Purchased as a frame set in 2017 on BF from a friend of @unworthy1. It's a keeper because it fits, 531, "fancy" (to quote my wife) lugs, orange. Been riding this exclusively for the last 2 years.

Wow, it has been re-born! I'll tell my friend (his name is Michael) that his old daily driver beater has gotten a new lease on life and is being ridden...he'll be chuffed and stoked.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 08-06-19, 04:59 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
The marnati is a forever bike...the vanilla will be mine as long as I live...I love the huffy...

I guess I could part with the rest.
Can't see you ever moving those along. The Marnati is a very special bike, as is the Vanilla.

The Huffy has a practical place as well.

One other bike I own and forgot to list is my McLean. If I sold it, I'd likely never find another.

Besides, I overpaid for the bike at the peak of vintage bike frenzy. I'll just hold it and enjoy it out on the road occasionally.

It's a fun discussion item at the bike shop as well.
Old 08-06-19, 07:32 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Can't see you ever moving those along. The Marnati is a very special bike, as is the Vanilla.

The Huffy has a practical place as well.

One other bike I own and forgot to list is my McLean. If I sold it, I'd likely never find another.

Besides, I overpaid for the bike at the peak of vintage bike frenzy. I'll just hold it and enjoy it out on the road occasionally.

It's a fun discussion item at the bike shop as well.
Yeah - I feel that way about a few...I rarely ride the Passoni, but it's just too cool, and what are the odds of finding another like it? Same with the Galmozzi built Pinarello...how many times do you see a 60's Pinarello?!?
Old 08-06-19, 07:36 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777

@Vonruden, I couldn't see selling any of those either.

--

My keepers:

'86 LOOK Equipe/Bernard Hinault (753r) - I've had this bike since I was a teenager. Rides like a dream. Tons of nostalgia.

'89 Parkpre Team Road - This was my teenage team-issue race bike. Again, lots of nostalgia.

'90 Parkpre Team MTB - Team MTB I've had since I was a teenager.

'90 Merlin - The bike I wanted as a teenager, though couldn't afford on e at the time. I was finally able to find one in my size a few years ago,, and it lived up to my expectations. I'm not going to let this one go.

'73 Speedwell Titalite - The garage queen. I don't ride this one much, but I love to look at it.

'72 Cilo Pacer - This is my commuter, errand, go-anywhere, do-anything, gravel, Eroica, toss-it-in-the-trunk, take-the-family-out bike. This bike fits and rides wonderfully. I've upgraded the parts over time, but it remains a quintessential C&V bike.

'85 De Rosa Professional - My only Italian, and my only bike built with a modern drivetrain. Rides nice, too.
I feel exactly the same way about my Merlin...it really changed my standards, and it lived up to impossibly high expectations, if not nostalgia. I swear these things have fairy dust in those silly bbs.

Merlins are about as close to perfect as a bike gets, and, honestly, the only roadie I've ever liked as much was a custom, which doesn't count.

I have this brit by a builder named Pete Matthews, and that's a HECK of a bike, especially for older tubing.
Old 08-06-19, 08:44 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Probably too many, but the exact number has not been settled, save for the DeRosa.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 08-06-19, 09:10 AM
Bearly sane

Bikes: 1990-93 Diamond Back Outlook, rigid, 1x6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
'90 Diamond Back MTB, converted to a 1x6. I built it to be a clone of my teenage self's bike. I can't imagine ever parting with it, it invokes too many memories.
Old 08-06-19, 09:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
The bikes I listed above are the bikes I own. I don't have any others. I don't flip bikes anymore. Maybe I didn't use the term "keeper" properly. If "keeper" means I don't see myself ever selling it, then maybe some of the bikes that I have for now won't be with me forever.

Lemond: I like my Lemond, but I've only had it a short time, and if I can find a similarly lightweight bike that fits 650b tires more easily, I might replace the Lemond. Right now it has 650b wheels and long-reach brakes and 38mm tires. The clearance between tire and chainstay is only 1 or 2 mm, so I'm asking for trouble. It doesn't look like a permanent configuration. But the bike rides a bit harshly with 27 mm 700c tires.

Super Course: My Super Course keeps proving to be worthy, and I've lost count of the times I've partially and fully rebuilt it. I got the partial bike for $0, and the market value is low, so if it got stolen or trashed, I think I wouldn't be heartbroken. On the other hand, I like riding it a lot, so maybe I would be. If I came upon a more lovable bike, would I replace the Super Course with it? Only if the test ride shows it to have more charisma than the Super Course.

Viscount: This is another low-market-value bike, and the ride isn't magical, either. I sometimes lock it up in the city because I won't be heartbroken if it gets stolen. I'm going to replace the fixed cog with a single-speed freewheel to see if I like that. Sometimes I don't want the vigorous workout I get from riding fixed.

Raleigh Pro Track: This is an impractical bike, like a sports car. It's not very comfortable, as it's built for short races. I raced it for one summer. I might get bored with it one day, and it takes up space. I might as well keep it while I can afford to.

McLean: This is definitely a keeper. It fits well, and the handling is very predictable and controllable even at high speed. And it's gorgeous. I built it up in 1983 with Campagnolo Super Record and Nuovo Record components. A few years ago, I rebuilt it with an indexed drivetrain. It still has my original brake calipers, Campagnolo Record single pivots.

Raleigh International: I would be hurt if this were stolen, yet I do lock it up occasionally, which I probably shouldn't do. At least I don't do it regularly. The bike proves to be versatile. As I said before, it's good for utility rides and pleasure rides. I think this one is a keeper.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-06-19, 12:04 PM
aeshultz
Somewhat slow older guy

Bikes: '83 Trek 311, '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '06 LeMond Poprad, '07 LeMond plastic bike, '06 Serotta CSI, Surly Cross Check, and a few others.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Timely subject, because last fall I did what I didn't think I'd ever do and sold the '71 Masi Gran Criterium. It just deserved to be ridden and used. And just last week I sold the '88 Ironman Master and a Trek XO-1. They weren't being used, so time to move them along.
Now I'm debating which of the remaining are real keepers:
'96 Litespeed still rides wonderfully with full Campy.
'01 or so LeMond carbon Versailles is nice, but might be on the fence.
Serrotta CSI is very nice, but still relatively new to me, so not sure that we've bonded yet.
And the '84 Trek (first "real"bike) is going through another reconfiguration, and will probably be around as long as I can ride.
And now, I have space for something new.
Old 08-06-19, 01:14 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
I'm personally fascinated that so many people have such a high number of bicycles that they think they'll keep for years to come. I must ask, of those with five or more bikes on their list, how many of those bikes have already been owned for more than at least a couple of years? How do you decide something is a "keeper" if it's a relatively new acquisition, or if you're still adding to your collection?
I've had the gold Colnago and the Alpina since 1994. The orange Super was restored and then built up in 2005. The orange Davidson was built for me in 2002 and I updated with 8-speed in 2011. The small, unpainted Colnago Super was acquired frame/fork-only in 2012 and since it's too small for me (and it's more of a kinetic-art installation) it's not going anywhere soon. The Medici and Casati were both picked up over the last couple years: the Medici has turned into one of my most favorite riders, and the Casati as well - in fact, I ride it to school when it's not raining. The Sparrow was acquired in late 2010 and is my "divorce bike", so it also has a lot of sentimental value to me

The newest addition, granted, was only purchased a week or so ago, but it was my grail bike, so I expect a long and enjoyable relationship with that one for years and years and years.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 08-06-19 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-06-19, 04:13 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
I've been "done" more times than I can remember. I was actually "done" again about a month ago.
Then the Look showed up, and a Litespeed, and a Cinelli.

I do recognize I have a problem. I just don't care to do anything about it.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 08-06-19, 04:14 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,710 Times in 1,483 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I've been "done" more times than I can remember. I was actually "done" again about a month ago.
Then the Look showed up, and a Litespeed, and a Cinelli.

I do recognize I have a problem. I just don't care to do anything about it.
there are good problems and bad problems, bikes are rarely a bad problem

Old 08-06-19, 10:32 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked 1,998 Times in 981 Posts
I may be a tornado of (always gratefully) nice bikes/frames/components, but my two iron-clad keepers are my 1974 Schwinn Paramount P15-9 and my 1987 Schwinn Prologue

The Paramount was a rescue. Found beaten up and broken, bought, had repaired, repainted (myself), and through a number of different configurations, is now in her best form. Truly my Queen of the Fleet. All The Pretty Parts are on her, and she is built to conquer great distances in style and supreme comfort. Her frame has always been 'strong' feeling, and with a stiffer, more performance-oriented wheelset, her out-of-the-saddle movements are a lot closer to race bike than out-and-out touring bike. Downtube shifters would be more than fitting, but for effortless, butter-smooth shifting convenience, it doesn't get any better than a 3x10 7800 Dura-Ace setup.

The Prologue earns her keeper status not only because of the initial efforts of @Clang and @camelopardalis but also because of her superb ride, handling, and feel--to say nothing of her beauty and rarity. The Ultegra 6770-era Di2 shifting and other components make her the best she's ever been. Truly a comfortable, fast, yet accessible and familiar bike to ride at any speed.

Last edited by RiddleOfSteel; 08-06-19 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-07-19, 12:41 AM
kwhiner

Bikes: '94 Eddy Merckx Century TSX '86 Schwinn Paramount, '89 Schwinn Paramount, '84 Specialized Sequoia, '85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, '86 Schwinn Prelude, '92 Cannondale T600, '78 Guerciotti, '91 Giant ATX 770, '87 Schwinn Le Tour(beater)

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Keeper(s)

Probably the one I wouldn't let go of would be my '86 Emerald Green Schwinn Paramount, although I might swap the Dura Ace for all the Campy pieces on the '89 Paramount.
Likes For kwhiner:
Old 08-12-19, 11:37 AM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
One. I like the continuity with my youthful adventures on the same bike, and the performance check.
Likes For TricycleTom:
Old 08-12-19, 01:24 PM
Mr Carl

Bikes: Too many personal bikes to mention on here

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Mid 60's Sears 5 speed made in Austria is comfortable to me. Plus, due to the green color, I ride it in the annual St. Patrick's Day parade here
1960 Western Flyer 3 speed made in England
Modern Mongoose Mountain Bike (24 inch wheels) for riding with the family. Great for the annual Halloween Parade, due to the Orange and Black color
Old 08-12-19, 02:40 PM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I have 7 bikes and they re all "Keepers" because they all work, and I ride them, even though some of them are older than most of the people reading this post right now. I actually have a fondness for Old School bikes and equipment, like friction shifters, Shogun bicycles, Huret components, Vista bikes, etc...
Old 08-12-19, 03:46 PM
phillman5

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Essthreetee
And in your eyes, what makes them so?

Me:
2001 LeMond Nevada City upgraded to Ultegra 11speed. Keeper because it was given to me by my Uncle as my first “Real” bike.
What about you?!?
Definitely keep the LeMond, as it has sedimental value, and note Greg LeMond is the only American (in the record books) as having won the TdF. (go ahead and flame me, but facts are facts).

Me, I have a LeMond Team Pro which I've upgraded with new components & wheels, the first model he put his name on, is my only real keeper. But I kept the 53 chain wheel (when most bikes came with 52's) as it has LeMond stamped many times on it along the outer edge.
Old 08-13-19, 09:56 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 238 Posts
20 bikes. One mountain bike, one carbon bike and all the rest are vintage steel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.