Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How Do You Deal With Harassment?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

How Do You Deal With Harassment?

Old 08-05-19, 02:43 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by kayakindude
I sadly have to agree with this. It is rare that I have to deal with an aggressive driver, but both times that it escalated involved pickup trucks. Last week while commuting to work I heard a beep from behind. Did not put much thought into it as I was riding the white breakdown paintline and thought it might be a concerned driver. Two lane road, very light traffic, I was going about 18mph. Mind you I had a backpack on and did not have the lycra look that seems to set some drivers off. A blue pickup truck passed me with maybe 6 inches to spare- definitely an oh sh*t moment and got me emotional real quick. I raised my arm in a what are you doing motion and the driver just held his arm out and middle finger extended as he drove on. I screamed a bit (not how I normally handle things but it was way too close) and it took a few miles to settle back in. I will not ride that area again.
Which just reminded me, I had another incident with another jerk-off in a big monster truck, just yesterday !!! I was riding a moderately trafficked stretch (but still in a rural county) on my usual road ride, where I'm riding just outside the white line, not holding up any traffic or anything, when just to my left (like, real close!) this guy simultaneously blares the horn, and stomps on the gas ! It scared the living shinola outa me, causing me to involuntarily jerk the wheel to the right, away from the loud presence just off my left elbow. Fortunately, I was just getting to a bridge, where there was extra width in the road, so it went about as well as could be expected.
The truck was all-shiny-black, jacked-up, with dark tinted windows, extra wide tires and the big roll-bar front bumper.... so this clown really seemed to think he was Darth Vader or a ninja or something.
Old 08-05-19, 03:40 PM
phillman5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Been riding in the US my entire life. Can't say I've ever actually been shot at . . . .
I have here in Albuquerque. I was east of town on old 66 that runs parallel to I-40. I heard the whiz of a bullet (so it must have been close), then a gun shot. All I can think is someone on their back porch using me for target practice.
Old 08-05-19, 04:26 PM
phillman5

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
1) Thanks buegelfrei for the text of the Berkley law, I sent that to each of my city councilors!

2) I think one way to defuse drivers is not give them anything to steam about. How many of us run stop signs? Don't do it, it gives them something to fume about (and chastise others that do, as drivers may take it out on you).

3) Further to gain favor with drivers obey all the laws and be polite, don't weave in and out of traffic or get in drivers way if easily avoidable. On some mountain road climbs I have stopped and pulled over to let cars pass.

4) I also try to help drivers. At an intersection, I get out of the right turn lane so drivers can turn right. Often a car will be a car length back, and especially if I notice they have the right blinker on, will motion for them to come on up and make their turn. I believe this builds good will.

5) If you do get into a conversation about not being on the street, and should be on the sidewalk, I point out at least here in New Mexico, metropolitan roads maintenance does NOT come from gas taxes, but property taxes, and I do pay my share of those. I ask how much they pay in property taxes (most low lifes are probably renters (spam me for making assumptions if you want) and I didn't say renters were low lifes). I remind drivers of that, and ask where is it posted no bicycles on this stretch.

One of my most confusing incidents was with a motorcycle. I thought motorcyclist and cyclist were in this together against idiotic car drivers. But once the passenger on a motocycle held out his right hand and thumped the back of my head real hard.

Stay safe my friends, we're no match to a car.
Likes For phillman5:
Old 08-05-19, 05:04 PM
BoBodyJones
Daily Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Denver Critical Mass

We just had a huge ride here in Denver, maybe 250 people in protest to the recent deaths. A lot of cars got to see so many cyclists and I think it helped a lot.

Maybe try riding in groups on the weekends or whatever to get more visibility for cyclists?
Old 08-05-19, 06:09 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
"Smile and wave" isn't a bad suggestion. I would say just take a deep breadth and ride on. Assume the individual has a low IQ, smile to yourself at that realization and continue as you would normally. Need reason to let some ******* take away from the enjoyment of your ride (unless he/she is a real a**hole and continues to harass you. Then you find an alternate route ASAP).

Be smart. Be safe. Always have a plan b, c, d, etc.....
Old 08-05-19, 07:58 PM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
So far, my camera seems to help: no harassment from drivers at all, today. Several decided to use their signals, slow down, pass with enough space and one decided to wait for me to pass before turning (when plenty of drivers usually make a turn right in front of me)--all things that they usually only do when the police are around.
Likes For anon06:
Old 08-05-19, 08:21 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by anon06
So far, my camera seems to help: no harassment from drivers at all, today. Several decided to use their signals, slow down, pass with enough space and one decided to wait for me to pass before turning (when plenty of drivers usually make a turn right in front of me)--all things that they usually only do when the police are around.
Excellent. Hope the bad drivers get used to the good driving habits.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 08-06-19, 02:20 AM
hf35

Bikes: raleigh

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
l have been riding bikes for 53 years, and drove professionally for 39 years. l follow all the rules of the road. l believe that safety should be everyone's focus. Sidewalks should be for pedestrians, and maybe little children on bikes. When l ride my bike, l keep right so l don't obstruct traffic. lf l choose to use a road where the right side has pot holes, and unsafe cracks. l use a bike with beefier tires. Guess what, l never get harassed. But l might be on this forum.
Old 08-06-19, 03:14 AM
Simplex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have cycled in and around London for 7 years. In that time I've learned that being beeped hurts less than being shunted. There isn't much use in hugging the pavement whilst on the road and trying to give driver's as much space as possible. I have found that if you do that, you are inviting a close-pass and encouraging the idea that cyclists do not belong on the road. If cycle-paths were better designed, this would not be a problem.
Old 08-06-19, 05:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by hf35
l have been riding bikes for 53 years, and drove professionally for 39 years. l follow all the rules of the road. l believe that safety should be everyone's focus. Sidewalks should be for pedestrians, and maybe little children on bikes. When l ride my bike, l keep right so l don't obstruct traffic. lf l choose to use a road where the right side has pot holes, and unsafe cracks. l use a bike with beefier tires. Guess what, l never get harassed. But l might be on this forum.
I ride on plenty of roads where the right margin is entirely unsuited to riding with any bike tire, beefy or vegan. I ride primarily in 2 states. One of them doesn't even have a FRAP law, the other explicitly exempts that situation from FRAP rules. Guess what, I almost never get honked at or harassed when I cut into the lane to avoid those margins. I have been swerved at, screamed at by passengers (basically right into my ear), rolled coal on, and blasted by airhorns while riding perfectly legally in the breakdown lane. This is harassment occurring when I have not inconvenienced the driver in any way, and has nothing to do with whether I cautiously rolled a stop sign at an empty intersection 10 miles up the road.

I absolutely believe that the people doing this aren't reacting to anything the bicyclists are actually doing, they're just trying to make biking intimidating so they don't have to deal with it. I'm not humoring a "blame the cyclists" approach to this issue, which I deal with regularly.

I trust you can tell the difference between being disagreed with and being harassed, btw.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-06-19, 05:17 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
l have been riding bikes for 53 years, and drove professionally for 39 years. l follow all the rules of the road. When l ride my bike, l keep right so l don't obstruct traffic.
I follow the rules of the road as well. I ride in the lane position that is safest and best under the circumstances, as the rules of the road allow. I don't obstruct traffic, I am traffic.

Last edited by jon c.; 08-06-19 at 08:50 PM.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 08-06-19, 05:21 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by phillman5
1) Thanks buegelfrei for the text of the Berkley law, I sent that to each of my city councilors!

<SNIP>

Stay safe my friends, we're no match to a car.
Very well said. I often do these same things especially on my morning commutes and for the most part people seem to be appreciative. I've also seen things that @livedarklions has mentioned. i.e. People trying to build their own self esteem by harassing people for no reason at all. There will always be dooshbags out there.

FWIW. Rolling coal is purposefully exposing another person to a known carcinogen. IMHO it is more hazardous than a person spitting in your face and should be treated as assault.
Old 08-06-19, 06:10 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by anon06

A side benefit to using a camera is to be able to review incidents after they happen. Doing this made me realize that probably 50-75% of the times when I felt threatened by drivers, it was nowhere near as serious as it felt at the time. Whether the perceived threat felt more serious or less serious, depended mainly on my mood, not the objective threat as preserved by the video footage.

I realized how incredibly subjective my sense of being "wronged" is, how easily it can be set off (often mistakenly) and how often my sense of being "wronged", is simply "wrong". I also saw how many dumb things I do, and how forgiving I am of my own mistakes, when it happens to suit me. And how quick to blame and vengeful I can be. When I imagine everyone on the road with this mindset, it's amazing there aren't far more crashes, and far more lawsuits.

So I wound up becoming a lot more tolerant of drivers (gets squished by a big rig later today ) and learning a little bit about myself.
Old 08-06-19, 07:15 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

I have here in Albuquerque. I was east of town on old 66 that runs parallel to I-40. I heard the whiz of a bullet (so it must have been close), then a gun shot. All I can think is someone on their back porch using me for target practice.
Now that is friggin' scary !!! I live in a very pro-firearm county/state, and routinely hear (and occasionally even see) people people shooting, not far from the road. I even hear it sitting here at my computer, regularly.
It doesn't concern me, it's "the sound (and cost) of freedom", as far as I'm concerned , but I must admit, when I'm way out in the boonies cruising along, all alone, and I hear a nearby single rifle shot, my ears do perk up for that tell-tale 'whizzing' sound you referenced.
Old 08-06-19, 07:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Daniel4
You guessed right. I was using your reference to firing bullets to respond to the other post.
Well, just for future reference, when you pull a quote out of context to make a point that has nothing to do with the post the quote came from, you confuse the person you're quoting. You also force him/her to disavow your post if they disagree with it.

I disavow your post about guns pointed at "foreigners". I want nothing to do with it, serious or joking.
Old 08-06-19, 07:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Jeez! I've never had that happen here in NH, but I generally avoid the trails in NH during deer hunting season, and if I do ride on them, I'm absolutely certain to wear lots of yellow and nothing white. I've been told that can look like a white-tail deer from a blind. NH basically lets you hunt anywhere that isn't posted otherwise. From experience, I can tell you that riding past a bunch of guys lying in ambush is pretty unnerving even when you know they have no ill intent.

I'd wear bells, but I really don't want to deal with hunters mad at me for scaring off the critters.
Old 08-06-19, 10:32 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,023 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Feel sorry for them being stuck in their bank's gas-guzzling money pits, unable to enjoy the scenery or the feeling of moving along under your own power.
How do you know the bank owns their gas-guzzling money pits?

-Matt
Old 08-06-19, 11:31 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
How do you know the bank owns their gas-guzzling money pits?

-Matt
I don't; it was an assumption. I'm sure some cagers own their gas-guzzling money pits. My husband does.
Old 08-06-19, 11:48 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,023 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
I don't; it was an assumption. I'm sure some cagers own their gas-guzzling money pits. My husband does.
I must admit I do as well.

-Matt
Old 08-06-19, 03:43 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
While riding this past Sunday a young kid and his gf buzzed by me blaring their horn and shouting at me to get off the road. About a 1/4 mile up they had to wait at a stop sign so I caught up to them. I switched lanes and as I slowly rolled past his open driver side window I told him his gf is a skank.
The gutless punk didn’t even pull over.
The youth of today is in pretty bad shape
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 08-06-19, 04:22 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

To borrow an old quote, "I don't care who ya are, that's ^ funny, right there !"
Old 08-07-19, 04:15 AM
hf35

Bikes: raleigh

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All l am saying is, taking up more of the road then necessary to stay safe, causes road rage. lt is no different then driving in the left lane at the speed limit. Or people walking side by side, from one side of the bike path to the other, believing it is their right.

More has been accomplished in the world with cooperation than with conflict.
Likes For hf35:
Old 08-07-19, 05:13 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Hey, we're all in this commute together (to wherever we're going) so why not be "team players" and stay the &$#@ out of each other's way? We do it at work, why not on the road on the way to work?

Being delayed by someone else's selfishness and stupidity frustrates some of us beyond belief (myself definitely included). The last thing I wanna do is anger someone in a 4000 pound metal cage who could crush me with the stomp of a foot. I sense lots of impatience out there, especially when people make such a production out of passing me (slowing down to a ridiculous crawl for hundreds of feet, then flooring the accelerator needlessly, when there's not another car for miles around) as if to demonstrate what a burden I am to them just being there out on the road.

I think my own extreme impatience with other drivers, shows me exactly what the angry pickup truck guys are feeling when they see me on the road doing something that might potentially delay them a millisecond or two. The inability (and outright refusal) of some cyclists to put themselves in the position of a frustrated driver, I feel, puts them at greater risk for road rage incidents. YMMV.
Old 08-07-19, 08:56 AM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Yes, I also want to know where you live, so I can avoid it.
Likes For BadGrandma:
Old 08-07-19, 09:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

All l am saying is, taking up more of the road then necessary to stay safe, causes road rage. lt is no different then driving in the left lane at the speed limit. Or people walking side by side, from one side of the bike path to the other, believing it is their right.

More has been accomplished in the world with cooperation than with conflict.
The problem I have is that I don't take up more than I believe I need to be safe, yet I'm getting screamed at, honked at, close-passed and coal-rolled. And I can't tell you how many times I've been yelled at to go to the right of a right-hand turn lane. I'm not going to do something that stupid just to appease some malinformed bully.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.