Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wife is mad I cycle while she's at work

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-19, 06:16 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Wish I had some good advice, but my situation is the opposite. She encourages me to go riding when she's working! And many in our group are retired females, and she isn't bothered by that. My wife will be retiring soon, so we will be able to ride together more, which I'll enjoy, as will other members of our group who have met her. Maybe explain the health benefits of cycling, that you wish to stay healthy for her. Maybe that might work?
Old 08-10-19, 06:19 AM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I’d go fishing in the morning and ride the bike after she’s back from work. At least she can choose whether to ride with you.
Old 08-10-19, 06:59 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Get a mistress, that will make her wish you were cycling.
Tim
Old 08-10-19, 07:07 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I wish my wife would go riding while I was at work.
Old 08-10-19, 08:03 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 504 Posts
Wife insisted that I semi-retire in 2000 then fully retire a few years later AND one can very well be retired when the other 1/2 of the "TEAM" is still working.
Old 08-10-19, 01:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Never lie to your wife unless you KNOW that you don't have one of the psychic ones. I have one of the psychic ones ....
Don't plan on calling the wife for a SAG WAGON pickup when one is 30 miles from home. Flat tire, broken spoke, broken chain, blowout, fell in the ditch, etc.

And not enough tools to get oneself back on the road.

Explaining to the wife why there are 7 sets of dirty cycling shorts in the wash and you only went out riding once on the weekend?

Explaining why you have ripped trousers and cycling road rash when you were supposed to be working at home?
Old 08-10-19, 01:12 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Why don't you join your wife as she cycles to work? And be there after work so the both of you can cycle home together.
Old 08-10-19, 01:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Biere Froide
How would anyone elase handle this situation.
Not by posting private problems between husband and wife on the public internet, nor by asking random strangers what they would do.

I would ask someone I trust, a spiritual director, someone who has been happily married for decades or a very close friend instead.

This isn't a cycling problem. It is a marriage problem. Cycling just happens to be the activity and it could just as easily be tennis or gardening.

-Tim-
Old 08-10-19, 04:00 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Tell her you're open to compromise and you will let her choose.....riding the bike, sitting home drinking bourbon or finding a girlfriend.
Old 08-10-19, 04:56 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
unretire and go to work with her
Old 08-10-19, 05:14 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Old 08-10-19, 05:30 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
unretire and go to work with her
Or, simply volunteer to go to her office and double-check all of her work.

She wants to do it right, doesn't she?
Old 08-10-19, 05:38 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts

And I bet you lost the receipt.
Old 08-10-19, 05:43 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Hmm... I smell a trust issue here.

Perhaps you need to be direct with her what her concerns are?

And, how you can mitigate/reconcile her objections?

Anger is the secondary emotion, what are her primary emotions regarding riding without her?
Old 08-10-19, 06:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Buy a big scary motorcycle. Buy a horse. Make the horse ride the motorcycle while she's at work. Post a picture of it on Facebook.

I'm divorced, btw.
Old 08-10-19, 07:05 PM
Celticgirl

Bikes: Windsor Dover 2.0 Hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Similar situation here. I'm retired also but share a house with my brother and niece who work. It seems to bother them that I have this free time to do things while they are hard at work.

In my opinion it's not selfish that you are riding during the day; you did your time working and now are retired.
Old 08-10-19, 07:16 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Lance.. is that you?

It's not the cycling she objects to. It's all the calls she has to field from WADA.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 08-10-19, 07:25 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Hmm... I smell a trust issue here.

I suppose it depends if one is riding solo or with a group, or if she sees sweaty cycling clothes and wonders if he went for a ride????

One could, of course, get a bike camera with audio. Stream it, and archive onto a large external HDD. Let her review any ride she wishes. It could get boring mighty quickly.

Or, perhaps she is jealous of not being able to ride, or jealous of other riding buddies for doing "her sport", either M or F.
Old 08-10-19, 07:58 PM
sunnyone

Bikes: 1997 Trek 850, 1992 Trek 750 Multitrack, 1983 Zebrakenko Wind, 1982 Takara Tribute, 77 Takara mixte

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
It’s not the cycling she’s bothered about. It’s the fact that you’re retired and she’s not. I strongly recommend you start increasing your share of the household duties. Yes, you’re retired, but nobody wants to put in a full day and come home to start a second job of housework. You don’t need to carry all of the responsibilities, but taking some of the burden off of her would go a long way toward easing her load.

If she’s spent her day working only to come home and hear how you’ve been goofing off all day while she starts in with the chores, she’s gonna be resentful. If she comes home and a bunch of stuff has been handled, and oh, by the way, I went for a ride too, well, she’ll probably be pretty comfortable with the situation. If the chores were done by the time she got home, the two of you could go for a short ride together.

Marriage is a team sport. Nobody’s retired until you’re both retired. When one person in the marriage retires, the only thing that changes are the job descriptions.

-Kedosto
Obviously, we don’t know exactly what’s on the wife’s mind, and a heartfelt conversation to clear the air is in order.
But speaking as a wife, I’d say Kedisgo’s advise is spot on.
Old 08-10-19, 08:11 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

I suppose it depends if one is riding solo or with a group, or if she sees sweaty cycling clothes and wonders if he went for a ride????

One could, of course, get a bike camera with audio. Stream it, and archive onto a large external HDD. Let her review any ride she wishes. It could get boring mighty quickly.

Or, perhaps she is jealous of not being able to ride, or jealous of other riding buddies for doing "her sport", either M or F.
Anger is often the first emotion expressed with jealousy and envy being the primary thoughts/feelings.

This is a sensitive topic with my g/f because she is not physically able to cycle at this time. Sometimes women, and men of course, will attach a sense of exclusivity to an activity as "our time." She is likely hurt that she is not included because of a work commitment.

OP will need to be a dedicated listener to let her vent these painful feelings.
Old 08-10-19, 08:12 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by sunnyone
Obviously, we don’t know exactly what’s on the wife’s mind
Honestly do we ever know what's on our spouse's mind?
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-10-19, 09:23 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
There has been a wide variety of advice given here. Some very good, some flat out unhelpful, and some downright hilarious!

"See a marriage counselor" has been advised a lot. Really? A couple should seek marriage counseling simply because they don't agree on cycling schedules? That's goofy advice. Asking for advice about dealing with cycling schedule differences on a cycling forum makes perfect sense. Many members here are married, and most of us ride bikes, so, why not?

Anyway, all of this is moot, since the OP may or may not own a bike, and likely doesn't even have a wife!

Good job OP.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 08-10-19 at 09:27 PM.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 08-11-19, 07:07 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
When I was in my mid-40's I took a package (from work) that allowed me some time off before needing to find another job. So for the next 18 months I cycled and/or snowboarded. My wife was a little envious and had a few comments of my new Lifestyle even though stuff was getting done around the house and the bills were getting paid. I basically told her I needed the break and this was a Life Check for me, getting back to things I enjoyed doing before getting caught up in the Rat Race.

Fast forward to the present.....my wife have been retired now for 4yrs. When she left the Bank she bought a pink Colnago and has been riding it a lot! I even encouraged her to ride more by installing a hitch and bike rake for her Mustang. I think she gets it now.

I don't plan on officially retiring for another 6+yrs but because of my time off cycling has become a part of my life (again). I'm more fit now and in a better frame of mind....and so is she.

Rambling done......
Old 08-11-19, 07:16 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6960 Post(s)
Liked 10,960 Times in 4,686 Posts
A couple years ago, my wife moved into a much more demanding job which also pays even more than she had been earning. The geographic move required that I give up my job, and so now I work only part-time, and only from late August through April -- my summers are completely free. Though I am usually still in bed when she leaves for work, she'll bring in a cup of coffee, give me a goodbye kiss, and tell me "You should get out on your bike today."

Last winter, out of the blue, she told me "You should buy a new bike; get whatever you want, and don't worry about the cost."

And by the way, she's much younger than I am, much more attractive, and great in bed. Oh, and she's a great cook, too.

No point to this, other than to counter some of the anti-wife posts than always accompany these discussions. And to make some of you jealous!
Old 08-11-19, 07:37 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
A couple years ago, my wife moved into a much more demanding job which also pays even more than she had been earning. The geographic move required that I give up my job, and so now I work only part-time, and only from late August through April -- my summers are completely free. Though I am usually still in bed when she leaves for work, she'll bring in a cup of coffee, give me a goodbye kiss, and tell me "You should get out on your bike today."

Last winter, out of the blue, she told me "You should buy a new bike; get whatever you want, and don't worry about the cost."

And by the way, she's much younger than I am, much more attractive, and great in bed. Oh, and she's a great cook, too.

No point to this, other than to counter some of the anti-wife posts than always accompany these discussions. And to make some of you jealous!
Pictures or it didn’t happen
Likes For downhillmaster:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.