Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gaining 4mph Without Fitness

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Gaining 4mph Without Fitness

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-19, 06:17 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
I am just impressed that the OP has got 174 responses out of his first and only troll/post.
Old 08-05-19, 06:56 PM
plittle2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Debo3osu
I see a lot of people asking how to make their bike faster and everyone’s response is always “get more fit” or “be more aero.” That’s great and all, but my fitness hasn’t changed much but I’m 4mph faster on average. How? Hint: It will take $ but can be done.

Background: Got into road cycling 3 years ago for a charity ride, bought a cheap aluminum Motobecane junker with aluminum spd pedals. Felt like it weighed 30 pounds. Averaged 15mph on a good day and 16mph if I really pushed it.

After my wife finished several minutes ahead of me on her ultralight S-Works I decided that would never happen again.

Step 1: Get a carbon bike. Any carbon bike will add 1mph simply because it is lighter and has better power transfer.

So you can gain ~1mph just by getting any carbon bike.

Step 2. Don’t get just any carbon bike. Get a NICE carbon bike. Lightweight. Aero. Great components. Carbon wheels. These will run you $5-10k. I got the Canyon Endurace SLX 9 with SRAM Red eTap. Definitely wasn’t cheap, but added another 1mph because of further weight reduction and better components.

So far I’ve added ~2mph simply by spending money. This is a much better solution than getting fit.

Step 3: Replace anything that isn’t carbon with carbon. This includes seatpost, stem, bar, saddle, cranks and pedals. I only had to change a few things as the Canyon was already set up pretty well. I got the Specialized Power Pro carbon saddle with titanium rails (Canyon setup wouldn’t take larger carbon rails), carbon cages, and Dura Ace pedals. Again, the carbon not only reduces weight but also reduces vibration and increases rider comfort and power transfer.

Step 4: Get lightweight carbon shoes with SPD-SL red clips (0 degrees of motion) that fit correctly and have them set up professionally to ensure maximum power transfer (carbon on carbon) and no knee injuries.

Steps 3 and 4 added about 0.5mph.

Step 5: Get a complete proper fitting. You may want to do this before buying new bars, stem, etc. I had to get a new Canyon aerobar to fit me properly. Also make sure you have the right saddle width. The right setup will increase your power transfer and reduce injury.

Step 6: Improve your technique (independent of fitness). Get a power meter, cadence meter and speed meter and integrate with Garmin Edge. Read articles about technique and use these tools to improve.

Steps 5 and 6 add another 0.5mph. We’re now at a 3mph improvement.

Step 7: Get fast tires. Specifically, focus on rolling resistance but also factor in puncture resistance so that you have confidence at speed. Tubes or tubeless, your choice. I like tubes and run 50g Conti butyl tubes with Conti 5000 tires. Can’t go wrong. The Specialized Cotton Turbo is also a good choice. Go wide (25-28) and keep at the ideal psi (plenty of articles out there based on your tire).

Step 8: Adjust your brake levers. You’ll have a lot more confidence during high-speed descents if the levers are at your fingertips. If you can’t figure it out take it to your LBS.

Step 9: Keep your bike clean, especially the chain and gears. Plenty of good stuff out there, I like Park Tool’s cleaner. Clean chains = fast bike.

Step 10: Get aero. Wind resistance is your biggest enemy at speed. In addition to getting an aero bike, get form-fitting jerseys and shorts (I’m a huge fan of Pearl Pros), a light aero helmet, aero gloves, and socks. Learn to get in an aero position during sprints/descents. If you really want to get crazy and shave your body, go for it. Get rid of that bulky seat post bag and only carry what you need. I use Specialized’s integrated SWAT Road Bandit tube holder. Saves weight and lost energy through things jostling. Get light bottles and only carry them if you need them.

Boom, there you have it. Those last items add 1mph for a total gain of 4mph. I was averaging 19mph easy and 20mph when I really got after it. And that is solo. Plus, it made me love riding so much that I’ve also improved fitness and have added an extra 1-2mph. Now I blow by the clowns in the peloton with their dumb time trial bikes and helmets and matching jerseys. Yeah, my endurance bike just spit gravel in your face. My wife won’t even ride with me anymore because I’m miles ahead in a matter of minutes.

So there you have it. 3 years ago I’m a 40 year old golfer that thought biking was for losers, now I’m at the front of grand fondos.

Can’t afford all this stuff? Not my problem. Stop wasting time doing nonsense and do something with yourself so that you can buy nice things on a whim. Or just work on your fitness I guess.
Wow! I am so impressed! King of the cyclists!
Old 08-05-19, 07:39 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I am just impressed that the OP has got 174 responses out of his first and only troll/post.
Is that a record?
He didn't even have to feed it along the way.
They say one of the trademarks of a master troll is posting only the first post and let the thread grow, don't showing up again.

Last edited by Reynolds; 08-05-19 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-05-19, 09:13 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Is that a record?
This.
Shame on all of the fools that tried to respond in a serious manner
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 08-05-19, 10:12 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
He can't be bothered to follow up, too busy riding at the front of all the grand fondos.
Old 08-05-19, 10:23 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Is that a record?
But it took 63 post for someone to think it might be a serious thread.

A great troll involves people taking the post seriously. This one was sniffed out with the first response.

#trollfail
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-05-19, 10:25 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
This.
Shame on all of the fools that tried to respond in a serious manner
I love this one.

"Jesus. The guy posts up his step by step evolution and ascribes his gains (rightly or wrongly) to the changes and people want to kick his ass? I wonder why BF has the reputation it has?"
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-06-19, 03:17 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by noodle soup
I love this one.

"Jesus. The guy posts up his step by step evolution and ascribes his gains (rightly or wrongly) to the changes and people want to kick his ass? I wonder why BF has the reputation it has?"
“Now I blow by the clowns in the peloton with their dumb time trial bikes and helmets and matching jerseys. Yeah, my endurance bike just spit gravel in your face. My wife won’t even ride with me anymore because I’m miles ahead in a matter of minutes”
This is his own summation of what you are referring to as his ‘step by step evolution’
Shame on you.
Who said they wanted to kick his ass btw?
Old 08-06-19, 05:29 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Is that a record?
Successful troll is successful.

Hook, Line Sinker.

Troll 1 Road Forum zero.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-06-19, 07:40 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
“Now I blow by the clowns in the peloton with their dumb time trial bikes and helmets and matching jerseys. Yeah, my endurance bike just spit gravel in your face. My wife won’t even ride with me anymore because I’m miles ahead in a matter of minutes”
This is his own summation of what you are referring to as his ‘step by step evolution’
Shame on you.
Who said they wanted to kick his ass btw?
You do realize that I’m quoting a post from this thread, right?

Originally Posted by bruce19
Jesus. The guy posts up his step by step evolution and ascribes his gains (rightly or wrongly) to the changes and people want to kick his ass? I wonder why BF has the reputation it has?

Last edited by noodle soup; 08-06-19 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-06-19, 03:39 PM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by noodle soup
You do realize that I’m quoting a post from this thread, right?
Ooh crap. I’m sorry, my bad 😘
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 08-06-19, 03:42 PM
sewupnut

Bikes: 2005 Seven Odonata (DuraAce /Reynolds),1983 Trek 950 (Mavic/Suntour/Regina), 1986 Stumpjumper Shimano/Suntour/Regina), 1986 MASI 3V, (Campy/Mavic/Regina) 1995 Schwinn LeTour (Suntour/Wienmann/Phil/Shimano/Regina): All Brooks Saddles

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is easy.

Typical ride on an '86 Stumpjumper: 15 mph avg (37 lbs)
Typical ride on a Schwinn Letour: 17 mph (31 lbs)
Typical ride on 7: 20 mph (17.5 lbs and training clinchers)

No dogging it at any time. 5 mph gain, same fitness, similar rolling hill course.
Old 08-06-19, 04:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
^ And it successfully rolls along....
Old 08-07-19, 09:25 AM
jstork

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I totally agree. Good old steel
When I was in better shape, I could average close to 20mph on an old 1986 steel Le Circuit (about $200) in baggies and a loose t-shirt. I used to ride with guys who sported lighter an far more expensive bikes and in spite of the equipment could not keep up for any period of time.
If you are racing and need to shave every bit of time off, I could see it. For regular riding, steel is fine.

Let's have some fun:
Shaving all exposed body hair including eyebrows might help as well. Thinking of it, a complete body shave might save a few grams. Also: filling the tires with helium might help. Evacuating bowels and bladder a few grams. No water bottle (water is heavy). Aerogel helmet etc. Keeping anything that flaps including one's lips could also decrease drag.

Wow.
Old 08-11-19, 11:24 PM
jstork

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike. I'd be proud to ride that.
Tuck down and it will move.
Old 08-11-19, 11:39 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Step 5 should be before Step 1. Buying a $10,000 bike that might not fit is dumb. Might have worked for the OP but not a formula for success.
Old 08-12-19, 03:52 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by jstork
Let's have some fun:
Shaving all exposed body hair including eyebrows might help as well. Thinking of it, a complete body shave might save a few grams. Also: filling the tires with helium might help. Evacuating bowels and bladder a few grams. No water bottle (water is heavy). Aerogel helmet etc. Keeping anything that flaps including one's lips could also decrease drag.

Wow.
Teeth. Teeth are heavy. You need a couple to pop open your bottle valve and rip open a gel but the rest are just dead weight.
Old 08-12-19, 06:05 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Teeth. Teeth are heavy. You need a couple to pop open your bottle valve and rip open a gel but the rest are just dead weight.
That second kidney weighs 150 g. Why not sell it?
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-12-19, 06:22 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
This is great advice. I'll add you can buy the roading company and get them to put smoother asphalt on your favourite routes. That should run you $30-40million but worth 1mph so why wouldn't you?
Or goto a indoor track at high altitude
Old 08-12-19, 01:14 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I removed my pedals and shoes and just tape my feet to the cranks. Dave
Old 08-12-19, 10:11 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Bones are heavy. How many ribs do you really need?
Old 08-12-19, 10:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
I removed my pedals and shoes and just tape my feet to the cranks. Dave
This is genius, because that was rotating weight.
Old 08-12-19, 11:47 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
This is genius, because that was rotating weight.
That’s only true if he’s pedalling in circles.
Old 08-13-19, 03:56 AM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
and use the money for some Meilenstein Obermayer wheels
Old 08-13-19, 06:24 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,756 Times in 2,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirkaus
and use the money for some Meilenstein Obermayer wheels
A thinking man.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.