Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Jamis Renegade owners

Old 07-29-19, 07:57 AM
  #401  
MichaPau
Junior Member
 
MichaPau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by holdfast5183 View Post
What size did you end up with? I have the 56cm Expat frame, and I feel like it runs just a bit to the small side. I'm looking at the Escapade frameset and considering going up a size and giving the 56 to my wife who is 5 foot 10.
I ended up with the 56cm frame. It fits me very well. (180cm (5'11') ; inseam 84cm (33'')).
I even put half of the spacers on the top to lower the handlebar a bit.

I haven't yet done very long rides but my frequently 30/40 km rides don't give me any pain (shoulders, back etc.);
my body seems to be quite happy with the geometry.

But well, size is always a personal thing, perhaps you can try out the 58cm frame somewhere.
MichaPau is offline  
Old 08-16-19, 04:21 PM
  #402  
loheiman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those with steel frames, running 650b wheels/tires, what tires you are you running, what is their actual width and how much rear chainstay clearance do you have?

I'm a little dissapointed that the 650 x 48mm gravel kings, which measure out to 50mm (on my 22mm inner width rim), only leave ~2mm of clearance on each side. I know the max tire clearance is 47mm, but even at 47mm it would only leave 3-4mm of clearance on each side which is well below what I thought manufacturers use for determining max tire size (i thought they used 6mm). FYI I have 2019 Escapade frameset.
loheiman is offline  
Old 08-18-19, 04:19 AM
  #403  
sweetspot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by loheiman View Post
For those with steel frames, running 650b wheels/tires, what tires you are you running, what is their actual width and how much rear chainstay clearance do you have?

I'm a little dissapointed that the 650 x 48mm gravel kings, which measure out to 50mm (on my 22mm inner width rim), only leave ~2mm of clearance on each side. I know the max tire clearance is 47mm, but even at 47mm it would only leave 3-4mm of clearance on each side which is well below what I thought manufacturers use for determining max tire size (i thought they used 6mm). FYI I have 2019 Escapade frameset.
very interesting to hear that - I also plan in near future to test exactly the same setup on my Jamis Renegade Exploit bike. But I also tested a 700x50c Gravel Kings on my bike - it was a very tight fit but I managed to do that! To find out more and see the pictures please visit my website
https://gravelbikes.cc/tests/the-big...700x50c-tires/
sweetspot is offline  
Old 08-18-19, 11:32 AM
  #404  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,869

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3273 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetspot View Post
To find out more and see the pictures please visit my website
https://gravelbikes.cc/tests/the-big...700x50c-tires/
Or just post the pics and info here instead of directing people away from this website and to your personal site.
I have no idea why this practice is allowed on the forums since it drives away traffic, but to each their own.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 08-19-19, 02:19 PM
  #405  
sweetspot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Or just post the pics and info here instead of directing people away from this website and to your personal site.
I have no idea why this practice is allowed on the forums since it drives away traffic, but to each their own.
I understand your comment. I should write much more here and not force you guys to visit my website. But again, I put a lot of effort in creating the content on my website and I believe that it could be interesting to you so naturally I want to invite you to my website rather than putting an article like post here.

Below you will find the pictures of my bike with 700x50c tire. As you can see it was a really tight fit and worked only after I piled of a fender mount near the bottom bracket and only at 20 psi because when I infalted the tire to 30 psi it started to rub my carbon fork. I managed to take all the measurement I needed but at the price of a slightly wiped paint on my fork.




sweetspot is offline  
Old 08-20-19, 08:32 AM
  #406  
loheiman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wrote Jamis customer support regarding tire clearance and they confirmed that 3-4mm is expected at the max tire size, therefore going over that will leave less. :/
loheiman is offline  
Old 09-04-19, 06:48 PM
  #407  
valve_timing
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Could anyone tell me the rear spacing on 2018 expat also does anyone have a stock 650b wheelset theyd wanna swap for a 700c wheelset ?
valve_timing is offline  
Old 09-05-19, 11:45 AM
  #408  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Posts: 6,491
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by valve_timing View Post
Could anyone tell me the rear spacing on 2018 expat also does anyone have a stock 650b wheelset theyd wanna swap for a 700c wheelset ?
This one? https://bikepacking.com/news/2018-jamis-renegade-expat/
Specs are in there.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2015 Cannondale SuperX Hi-Mod
shoota is offline  
Likes For shoota:
Old 09-05-19, 12:49 PM
  #409  
valve_timing
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
thanks brotha
valve_timing is offline  
Likes For valve_timing:
Old 09-14-19, 10:09 AM
  #410  
nwin23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit.

Right now I primarily use it for commuting, but I plan on taking it to some gravel trails and bike paths and towing my son around in a bike trailer.

Questions:

Fenders: I want to get some fenders, but am at a loss for recommendations. I've seen mud butlers posted in this thread, but the rear fender looks like it doesn't go far enough around the back of the rear tire. My concern isn't for me, but for my son in the trailer. I've heard that if you don't have an adequate fender system, your kids will end up eating dust for most of the ride, so I'd like to avoid that if possible!

New wheels: I have the stock Clements set up tubeless and they're ok, but man do they feel sluggish on pavement. I'm not sure if it's the rim or the tire. I've got some Panaracer GravelKing 38 slicks coming in so I plan on mounting those, but have been toying with the idea of getting some new rims. Alloy is fine-keeping in mind primary use is for commuting and hitting potholes (I'm 170 pounds), and secondary use will be bike trails with the kiddo-any recommendations? I'd like to keep it under $500 for a new wheelset.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
nwin23 is offline  
Old 09-14-19, 03:10 PM
  #411  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Posts: 6,491
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by nwin23 View Post
I've got a 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit.

Right now I primarily use it for commuting, but I plan on taking it to some gravel trails and bike paths and towing my son around in a bike trailer.

Questions:

Fenders: I want to get some fenders, but am at a loss for recommendations. I've seen mud butlers posted in this thread, but the rear fender looks like it doesn't go far enough around the back of the rear tire. My concern isn't for me, but for my son in the trailer. I've heard that if you don't have an adequate fender system, your kids will end up eating dust for most of the ride, so I'd like to avoid that if possible!

New wheels: I have the stock Clements set up tubeless and they're ok, but man do they feel sluggish on pavement. I'm not sure if it's the rim or the tire. I've got some Panaracer GravelKing 38 slicks coming in so I plan on mounting those, but have been toying with the idea of getting some new rims. Alloy is fine-keeping in mind primary use is for commuting and hitting potholes (I'm 170 pounds), and secondary use will be bike trails with the kiddo-any recommendations? I'd like to keep it under $500 for a new wheelset.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
I don't know anything about fenders so i won't comment there. But as far as the tires go, yeah switch them out. Keep the current wheels, new wheels won't gain you anything for your type of riding.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2015 Cannondale SuperX Hi-Mod
shoota is offline  
Old 09-14-19, 06:18 PM
  #412  
nwin23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
I don't know anything about fenders so i won't comment there. But as far as the tires go, yeah switch them out. Keep the current wheels, new wheels won't gain you anything for your type of riding.
Think Ill notice a difference in the tires? Do the clements feel sluggish on roads to anyone else?

interesting about the wheels. I figured newer ones would at least be lighter and maybe easier to fit tubeless to-the i23s were kind of a pain.
nwin23 is offline  
Old 09-14-19, 09:00 PM
  #413  
loheiman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nwin23 View Post
I've got a 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit.

Right now I primarily use it for commuting, but I plan on taking it to some gravel trails and bike paths and towing my son around in a bike trailer.

Questions:

Fenders: I want to get some fenders, but am at a loss for recommendations. I've seen mud butlers posted in this thread, but the rear fender looks like it doesn't go far enough around the back of the rear tire. My concern isn't for me, but for my son in the trailer. I've heard that if you don't have an adequate fender system, your kids will end up eating dust for most of the ride, so I'd like to avoid that if possible!

New wheels: I have the stock Clements set up tubeless and they're ok, but man do they feel sluggish on pavement. I'm not sure if it's the rim or the tire. I've got some Panaracer GravelKing 38 slicks coming in so I plan on mounting those, but have been toying with the idea of getting some new rims. Alloy is fine-keeping in mind primary use is for commuting and hitting potholes (I'm 170 pounds), and secondary use will be bike trails with the kiddo-any recommendations? I'd like to keep it under $500 for a new wheelset.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
I bought SKS AL46 fenders and fitted them but have not tested them. They don't have a mud flaps but PDW Full Metal Fenders do.

Have never used them but Mason Hunt wheels seem to be a popular choice for budget wheelsets at about $380. For $500 you can get a custom wheelset from Colorado Cyclist with DT Swiss 350 hubs and R500/R470 rims which is what I'll likely be doing soon.
loheiman is offline  
Old 09-15-19, 06:48 AM
  #414  
shoota 
Senior Member
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: not sure
Posts: 6,491
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by nwin23 View Post
interesting about the wheels. I figured newer ones would at least be lighter and maybe easier to fit tubeless to-the i23s were kind of a pain.
Of course new ones will be lighter. I mean for: "primary use is for commuting and hitting potholes (I'm 170 pounds), and secondary use will be bike trails with the kiddo", nothing about that usage screams new wheelset to me. It's your money of course.

They clements are a little sluggish yes, new tires will help depending on what you get.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2015 Cannondale SuperX Hi-Mod
shoota is offline  
Old 09-15-19, 02:01 PM
  #415  
nwin23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by loheiman View Post
I bought SKS AL46 fenders and fitted them but have not tested them. They don't have a mud flaps but PDW Full Metal Fenders do.

Have never used them but Mason Hunt wheels seem to be a popular choice for budget wheelsets at about $380. For $500 you can get a custom wheelset from Colorado Cyclist with DT Swiss 350 hubs and R500/R470 rims which is what I'll likely be doing soon.
Yeah, I checked those wheels out at Colorado Cyclist...even using the same build info their price is cheaper than prowheelbuilder, plus they have a 10% discount going on right now (code: SUMMER).

I mounted the Gravelkings today on my existing rims so I figure I should try these out first before I look at spending $500 on wheels.

For fenders, it seems my options are pretty limited since I'm running 38's. Since people use the mud butlers here and have good things to say about them, I think I might try those out and see how the kiddo does. Worst case scenario I can add a strip of leather like a mudflap to the rear fender.
nwin23 is offline  
Old 09-16-19, 07:35 AM
  #416  
dwmckee
Senior Member
 
dwmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,577

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Salsa Carbon Warbird, Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Felt Surplus 70 MTB, Dahon Folder, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
I don't know anything about fenders so i won't comment there. But as far as the tires go, yeah switch them out. Keep the current wheels, new wheels won't gain you anything for your type of riding.
You are going to have to drop back to a 32 - 35MM tire to fit fenders. Challenge Strada Biancas are a nice really fast alternative in a 33mm. We use them with renegades and fenders in our shop all of the time. Fenders on a Renegade are da'bomb! Will help out keeping kids happy if you get into some rain, puddles or wet streets.
dwmckee is offline  
Old 09-16-19, 08:29 PM
  #417  
jeffreythree
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: DFW
Posts: 264

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee View Post
You are going to have to drop back to a 32 - 35MM tire to fit fenders. Challenge Strada Biancas are a nice really fast alternative in a 33mm. We use them with renegades and fenders in our shop all of the time. Fenders on a Renegade are da'bomb! Will help out keeping kids happy if you get into some rain, puddles or wet streets.
I love how those tires ride, but they were almost impossible to mount on the stock i23 rims (needed bead jack, levers, and zip ties). Maybe the 33mm is a bit easier to mount than my 36's?
jeffreythree is offline  
Old 09-21-19, 05:41 PM
  #418  
nwin23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Gravelking slick's in 38's are sooooo much better than those stock MSO's-holy crap. Not sure I have a reason to upgrade the wheels at this point honestly. For fenders, since I just bought these tires, I might just grab the mud butlers since they will accommodate the 38's.

New problem for commuting: I'm trying to find a bag that I can put my lunch in. I don't really want to go with racks + a pannier, and I had a handlebar bag but didn't like how it threw off the steering, so I think I'm limiting my options to a frame bag or a bigger saddlebag. The frame bag could work great, but in the event I have some soup or something in tupperware (or a salad in a bigger tupperware), I don't see there's anyway that would be able to transport the tupperware laying flat.
nwin23 is offline  
Old 09-21-19, 05:42 PM
  #419  
nwin23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffreythree View Post
I love how those tires ride, but they were almost impossible to mount on the stock i23 rims (needed bead jack, levers, and zip ties). Maybe the 33mm is a bit easier to mount than my 36's?
The gravelkings in 38's were a pain to mount on the stock rims as well. I didn't need a bead jack, but I was close.
nwin23 is offline  
Old 09-27-19, 11:05 PM
  #420  
bigredgrad01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nwin23 View Post
The Gravelking slick's in 38's are sooooo much better than those stock MSO's-holy crap. Not sure I have a reason to upgrade the wheels at this point honestly. For fenders, since I just bought these tires, I might just grab the mud butlers since they will accommodate the 38's.
Mud Butlers are a tight fit with stock MSO 700x36 on the steel Renegade. I had to remove the rubber from the part of rear seat-stay mount bracket that goes under the fender.


Are people having luck with 700x38 Gravelking SK's with Mud Butlers? Seems like it would be a problem unless they measure same as 700x36 MSOs.
bigredgrad01 is offline  
Old 09-30-19, 12:28 AM
  #421  
HLW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are people having luck with 700x38 Gravelking SK's with Mud Butlers? Seems like it would be a problem unless they measure same as 700x36 MSOs.



You'll be able to clear the 38mm SK in the front, but probably not the rear. I cleared a set of Rene Herse (Compass) Bon Jon's on my Expat on a set of American Classic Race wheels that measured 38mm inflated with Mud Butlers, but it's a slick tire. The tightest point will be at the rear seatstay bridge. I was able to gain a bit more clearance by putting the fender mounting bracket on the underside of the seatstay bridge and gently bending out the sides of the fenders with a crescent wrench. In the front, tire clearance is better and you should be able to clear the SK 38 no problem. I've got a 38mm G-One that measure's 40mm on the front right now. On the front wheel the tight spot is going to be at the mounting point where the strut attaches to the fender and may require some manipulation as well. Here's a pic of the rear bracket and the sort of clearance I have with the G-One 35 in the rear. You're going to need to get some real world measurements of the Gravel King's before you make any decisions. You could always order one 38 for the front, test it out in the rear and if it doesn't fit run a 35 instead.








HLW is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
tdilf
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
41
09-17-19 01:26 PM
hexron
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
6
05-03-19 09:55 AM
motorthings
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
14
05-23-18 08:20 AM
Marcus_Ti
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
20
08-22-17 12:55 PM
Barrettscv
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
5
10-09-15 10:57 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.