Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Orbea Orca Aero vs. Pinarello Gan Disk Ultegra: Torn. Help me decide.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-19, 09:18 PM
rodey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I'm looking for a new bike and very, very torn between which to get. At my LBS, both are similarly priced. I rode both and honestly enjoyed both a lot. The Gan is $3450 and the Orca Aero is $2999. The Orca Aero is non-disk.

I like the color of the Orca Aero better (matte pearl) vs the Gan's stealth black. The ride is great on both. I don't do a ton of wet weather riding so that disk isn't necessarily essential.

My rides are mostly solo, occasionally in groups, and between 25-50 miles. Shorter after work, longer on the weekends when I have time.

Ultimately I know it's up to me, I'm just wondering if anyone can share their opinions that might help me make a choice. I really did like riding both equally, and I didn't think I would. My mind was kind of set on the Orca Aero.
Old 08-18-19, 01:50 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I have been riding Orcas since 2009, my current one is a 2012 team Spanish Euscatle (sp). It has very good handling manners. Not a light weight as some others but again, I am more interested in how the bike behaves going down hill not that it weighs 14 pounds going up hill. Never rode that Pinarello Gan, just an older one with Campy.
Old 08-18-19, 11:38 AM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Those are too completely different bikes (aero vs endurance), so your riding style/flexibility will be the deciding factor...if you are an aggressive rider and can handle the long/low position (and stiff ride), then go for the Orca Aero. If you are more of a laid back rider that values comfort, go for the Gan.

Personally, I'd forget about the Gan, and go for either the Orca Aero, or the standard Orca (team edition)...I own a 2018 Orca M20i Team, and absolutely love it.

Jenson USA has some deals on Orbea right now, so you could probably find a disc version with Ultegra for close to the price of the Gan.
Old 08-18-19, 09:57 PM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I personally would always go for the Orbea, I am a bit biased though, I LOVE my Avant. I guess if you were looking for endurance geometry, take a peak a the higher end Avant's. very comfortable ride. I would love to have an Orca Aero, but man I just cant get into that aggressive posture anymore lol
Old 08-19-19, 02:25 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35
Those are too completely different bikes (aero vs endurance), so your riding style/flexibility will be the deciding factor...if you are an aggressive rider and can handle the long/low position (and stiff ride), then go for the Orca Aero. If you are more of a laid back rider that values comfort, go for the Gan.

Personally, I'd forget about the Gan, and go for either the Orca Aero, or the standard Orca (team edition)...I own a 2018 Orca M20i Team, and absolutely love it.

Jenson USA has some deals on Orbea right now, so you could probably find a disc version with Ultegra for close to the price of the Gan.
Both frames have stack and reach numbers within a few mm of each other.
Old 08-19-19, 06:44 AM
rodey

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm on a 2015 Cannondale SuperSix Evo 105 5 right now that fits pretty comfy. The Gan did feel a little more relaxed as compared to the Orca Aero, but only slightly. I'm only 32 and in pretty good shape, so I'm not necessarily super worried about a cushy ride, but it had that for it.

The Orca Aero did feel more snappy and I felt like I'd be more inclined to open it up more and really get after it.

My slight paused would be as I would my way toward a century ride, would it be comfy enough?

The Orca Aero no longer has the color going for it. They'd both be in matte black on black. The shop messed up and said the one they could transfer to my location was the white, but the one in my size is actually the black. No huge issue, as I don't hate black. The Orca Aero just no longer has a point in that color uniqueness.
Old 08-19-19, 11:00 AM
melikebikey35

The Orca Aero could certainty get you through a century. But, unless you are the type of rider than can average 20mph+ for the whole ride, I don't think it'd be ideal. You won't gain much form the aero aspects, and just end up be slowed down by the added weight and harshness...aero bikes are great for smashing the flats, but aren't yet to the point where they make great all-around bikes. For most riders.

That being said, I'd still rather have the Orca Aero over the Gan...but, I'd rather have the standard Orca over them both.
Old 08-19-19, 11:01 AM
melikebikey35

Originally Posted by Dean V
Both frames have stack and reach numbers within a few mm of each other.
Are you referring to the Ocra and Aero, or the Aero and Gan?
Old 08-19-19, 01:39 PM
rodey

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The Orca Aero could certainty get you through a century. But, unless you are the type of rider than can average 20mph+ for the whole ride, I don't think it'd be ideal. You won't gain much form the aero aspects, and just end up be slowed down by the added weight and harshness...aero bikes are great for smashing the flats, but aren't yet to the point where they make great all-around bikes. For most riders.

That being said, I'd still rather have the Orca Aero over the Gan...but, I'd rather have the standard Orca over them both.
On my usual routes (which vary) I typically average between 18-18.8 mph. Not quite 20+, but I'm also working back into peak fitness.

The standard Orca wouldn't seem to be much of an upgrade over my current bike. Then again, I'm not sure the Gan would be either.

I did also look at a BMC TeamMachine and Cervelo R3, but they were slightly out of my price range, and I wasn't that find of the TeamMachine.
Old 08-19-19, 02:09 PM
melikebikey35

If you get the Team edition (OMR frameset) Orca, it will be an upgrade. It would be like going from the Evo to the Hi-Mod...lighter, stiffer, more responsive. That may be something that you'd like, it may not.

The R3 is a really nice bike, as well. I picked one up a month or so ago (really wanted disc brakes, and the Orca is just a tad too small for me).
It's not as responsive as the Orca, initially, but it is very smooth and maintains speed nicely. Between it and the Orca, it's really tough for me to say which one I prefer (if you take the disc brakes out of the equation)

But, I guess the most important question is why are you wanting a new bike? What do you not like about your SuperSix?
Given your $3k-ish (I'm assuming) budget, maybe it would be best just to upgrade your current bike? A nice set of wheels, and a new groupset would provide a noticeable different
Old 08-19-19, 03:35 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Are you referring to the Ocra and Aero, or the Aero and Gan?
Aero and the Gan.
At least they were for a 55 on the charts I had a quick look at.
Old 08-19-19, 03:52 PM
rodey

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you get the Team edition (OMR frameset) Orca, it will be an upgrade. It would be like going from the Evo to the Hi-Mod...lighter, stiffer, more responsive. That may be something that you'd like, it may not.

The R3 is a really nice bike, as well. I picked one up a month or so ago (really wanted disc brakes, and the Orca is just a tad too small for me).
It's not as responsive as the Orca, initially, but it is very smooth and maintains speed nicely. Between it and the Orca, it's really tough for me to say which one I prefer (if you take the disc brakes out of the equation)

But, I guess the most important question is why are you wanting a new bike? What do you not like about your SuperSix?
Given your $3k-ish (I'm assuming) budget, maybe it would be best just to upgrade your current bike? A nice set of wheels, and a new groupset would provide a noticeable different
Yes, it's the OMR version.

I don't necessarily dislike my bike, but I feel if I'm going to spend to upgrade wheelset and groupset, I may as well just upgrade the frame to more current tech.

One other question. I ride a 60 now and the LBS says I for sure need the 60 Orca Aero (I test rode the 57). But Orbea's site recommends the 57 for my height 6'2.5" and a 35.25" inseam. I don't not trust the LBS (although this is the first time I've used them), I just don't know if this is something else to think about.
Old 08-19-19, 04:18 PM
melikebikey35

Originally Posted by Dean V
Aero and the Gan.
At least they were for a 55 on the charts I had a quick look at.
They really aren't that far off, are they? Actually, other than the slacker head tube angle, I don't know why they call it an "endurance bike"
Old 08-19-19, 04:47 PM
melikebikey35

Originally Posted by rodey
Yes, it's the OMR version.

I don't necessarily dislike my bike, but I feel if I'm going to spend to upgrade wheelset and groupset, I may as well just upgrade the frame to more current tech.

One other question. I ride a 60 now and the LBS says I for sure need the 60 Orca Aero (I test rode the 57). But Orbea's site recommends the 57 for my height 6'2.5" and a 35.25" inseam. I don't not trust the LBS (although this is the first time I've used them), I just don't know if this is something else to think about.
Wheels have a far greater impact on performance than the frame does, so I definitely recommend upgrading the wheels on the new bike when you get the chance.

The Orbea website recommend two different sizes for me, 51 according to the calculator, and 53 according to their height chart. So I asked the bike shop what they recommend, and they said go with the 51. While it worked, I definitely should have gone with the 53...I was running a 12cm saddle to bar drop on the 51, and after nearly a year of that, my hips started to hate me. I'm now on a 54 R3 and it feels a lot better.

Moral of the story is, it's kind of personal...go with whatever feels comfortable to you.
If you like how your current bike feels, go with the size that has a similar reach and stack. If you want to get more aggressive, go a size smaller.
Old 08-19-19, 05:40 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I'd put campy chorus and a new wheelset on the supersix if it were my money. Otherwise get the pinarello. It looks cooler than the orbea but not as cool as the supersix.
Old 08-19-19, 06:27 PM
Jaeger99

Bikes: Me: Trek 7.2 FX Disc, Pinarello Rokh Her: Electra Townie 3i

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'd choose the Pinarello on looks, comfort, and the fact that I won't see a dozen of them on every ride. Plus I'm just a bit of a Pinarello fanboy.
Old 08-19-19, 07:04 PM
rodey

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I'd put campy chorus and a new wheelset on the supersix if it were my money. Otherwise get the pinarello. It looks cooler than the orbea but not as cool as the supersix.
Originally Posted by Jaeger99
I'd choose the Pinarello on looks, comfort, and the fact that I won't see a dozen of them on every ride. Plus I'm just a bit of a Pinarello fanboy.
Interesting! I actually think the Orbea looks sharper. One of the main things I like about it. Both Pinarello and Orbea are pretty uncommon around here. Mostly Trek, Specialized and Cannondale.
Old 08-19-19, 07:15 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
You've got a decent bike, as-is. I'd say to either a) go for a clear upgrade (and you don't seem to think that either of these is really much of a clear upgrade) or b) go for something that'll provide a different feel and/or utility (like a gravel bike that can double as an endurance bike when you pop slicks on it).
Old 08-19-19, 07:39 PM
rodey

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
You've got a decent bike, as-is. I'd say to either a) go for a clear upgrade (and you don't seem to think that either of these is really much of a clear upgrade) or b) go for something that'll provide a different feel and/or utility (like a gravel bike that can double as an endurance bike when you pop slicks on it).
Should mention I'd be selling my Cannondale. I just feel like by the time I'm upgrading groupset and wheels, I'm more than halfway to the cost of a new bike, with better tech.

That and I'm not really interested in gravel riding.
Old 08-19-19, 07:51 PM
Jaeger99

Bikes: Me: Trek 7.2 FX Disc, Pinarello Rokh Her: Electra Townie 3i

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Interesting! I actually think the Orbea looks sharper. One of the main things I like about it. Both Pinarello and Orbea are pretty uncommon around here. Mostly Trek, Specialized and Cannondale.
It sounds way more hardcore to obsess over specs and marginal performance gains - but looks matter to me. My bike puts a smile on my face every time I walk up to it. If the Orbea does that for you, don't discount that factor.
Old 08-19-19, 08:29 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I have a 2017 Gan S ultegra (rim brakes)... it beats me up a little on long rides because it's more aggressive than my other bike (Spec Roubaix) but I do love riding it. Excel Sports is hawking demo F10s right now if you want to up your budget a bit. I got mine as a last year's model from bikebling in escondido for about 2400 in 2018.

Black though... would probably put me off.
Old 08-19-19, 08:54 PM
rodey

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
One question about the Gan I haven't been able to find (maybe not looking hard enough), but what's the difference between the Gan, Gan K and Gan S?

The bike I test rode at the shop was a Gan, but it was 105. I'd want Ultegra. They said they had a Gan K at a different location in Ultegra that they could send up. Just not sure what the lettering means.
Old 08-20-19, 04:03 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Jaeger99
It sounds way more hardcore to obsess over specs and marginal performance gains - but looks matter to me. My bike puts a smile on my face every time I walk up to it. If the Orbea does that for you, don't discount that factor.
Let's face it, for the kind of riding most of us do, a thousand dollar bike would be totally adequate. At some point, how cool you think it looks should start to become the most important factor. I've always thought the supersix frame looks fast. If I had a carbon frame it would probably be a supersix.
Old 08-20-19, 07:07 AM
rodey

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Let's face it, for the kind of riding most of us do, a thousand dollar bike would be totally adequate. At some point, how cool you think it looks should start to become the most important factor. I've always thought the supersix frame looks fast. If I had a carbon frame it would probably be a supersix.
​​​​​​
It's admittedly part of the reason I'm getting a new bike. I do also think the Gan and Orca Aero look better, but that's my personal preference.

Like I said, I don't hate my bike by any means. But with wanting new wheels, a new groupset and not being super fond of the bike's paint scheme, it makes more sense to me to get a new bike.
Old 08-20-19, 07:26 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

​​​​​​
It's admittedly part of the reason I'm getting a new bike. I do also think the Gan and Orca Aero look better, but that's my personal preference.

Like I said, I don't hate my bike by any means. But with wanting new wheels, a new groupset and not being super fond of the bike's paint scheme, it makes more sense to me to get a new bike.
I don't know what colorway you have but agree that some of them are horrendous (I'm thinking the one with neon green and blue accents). Get the Orbea if you think that looks the coolest. I'm not a fan of that style of frame with the huge tubes and cutout for the rear wheel, and I'm a campagnolo guy, but whatever. It's your bike. You're the only one who has to think it looks cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.