Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are all bikeshops like this?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are all bikeshops like this?

Old 08-18-19, 12:08 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
I tell ya'll what. I appreciate the folks here that get it but basically in my search for help and I suppose understanding, this forum has been in general a very negative experience. I wish ya'll well.
Old 08-18-19, 01:07 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I tell ya'll what. I appreciate the folks here that get it but basically in my search for help and I suppose understanding, this forum has been in general a very negative experience. I wish ya'll well.
Welcome to the world of online forums. All of them.
Your OP was negative and you had no experience to back it up with.
Not sure what you expected.
The nonsensical waited 2 hours ‘mixup’ was just icing on the cake
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 08-18-19, 01:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
I encourage you to stick with cycling whether or not you enjoy the forum. It's a great pastime and getting along with others is not a requirement. You don't even have to wave!
Old 08-18-19, 02:00 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I'm educating myself to do my own but I've only been in this a few months. Won't ever go back to that particular shop.
Buy Park Tools Big Blue Book of Bike Repair, if you're trying to learn and if you have time and there is a co-op; you have a place to apply your skills, people willing to help and basically free tool usage. Not all shops are like that, they are probably more sale oriented... mainly new bikes and along with probably an elitist/pretentious mentality on bikes; push new parts. They probably wouldn't even take a trade in, bet.

Then you have shops that although they might be a dealer(most are); they are more shop focused. They might push parts, but it won't be always top of the line, they'll most likely have used parts. You can tell, if you can see customers bikes in repair stands and on hooks; if practically any bike is in there getting worked on from a Roadmaster, to some full carbon Scott, to some 60's stove pipe Columbia, you just might have found a more repair get'm-on-a-bike type shop. These people probably won't be as judging, expecting everybody who walks in, can drop 5k on a bike, they might offer you a better brake pad versus a whole new brake system.

There's a shop here that's almost like that. Walked in once and asked for a part and as soon as I said "beach cruiser;" it was nope; we can't order that. I bet if I said bmx bike; they'd have been right on it. Shops like that are about money and they'll turn away some small money and not bat an eye. A shop like that, I probably wouldn't even mention I turn my own wrenches. Honestly I only ever get a bike fixed at a shop when it's something I can't do or am too lazy to do it myself.
Old 08-18-19, 02:19 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
Is it any wonder that the majority of the population in the USA prefers to purchase their new bicycles from WAL-MART, TARGET, AMAZON, and Walmart/Target's & others' Ebay stores?

Sadly, too often, this type of helpful reception that R H CLARK has received here in this bikeforums thread is where things seem to be in certain bike shops.
R H Clark simply expressed the experience that RH CLARK had. Neither you or I were there.
I think that suggesting that RH is wrong or not truthful is extremely disrespectful.
Differences of opinion and personalities contribute greatly to an interesting world.

Perhaps, maybe those bike shops are taking the approach that the customer is wrong. It seems it might be the case. Obviously, there is no debate that RH Clark received what I would call poor customer service at the bike shop that he visited. There is absolutely nothing wrong with mentioning that you'd like to know what the most cost effective solution. Everybody wants to know this and usually does ask this before any other service provider/contractor/parts supplier/repair person begins any type of work. Why should his inquiry here be any different?
All I can say is vote with your pocketbook!
Poor customer service tends to come back to haunt businesses as those who feel they have not been treated well will tend to tell others of their "less-than-great" experience there. Now if the business had shown attentive friendly service with a smile and respect, perhaps that bike shop business would have him telling folks how wonderful they are. Sometimes, in business you must do just a little more for the customer, if you intend to thrive and be around a long time. Sometimes it is not only what gets ringed up at the register that matters, but the overall impression of that person who just walked out the door.
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 08-18-19, 03:30 PM
RH Clark

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Welcome to the world of online forums. All of them.
Your OP was negative and you had no experience to back it up with.
Not sure what you expected.
The nonsensical waited 2 hours ‘mixup’ was just icing on the cake
I'm well aware of the quality of posters online. You are a great example. How old are you, 25 or less would be my guess. Most folks get better sense after 25 but you may be a late bloomer. Do you work at a bike shop and try to milk every customer? Now that would really be icing on the cake.lol

I counted 2 hours because that's how long I was there.No interest in helping me before I left or after I came back. If I leave a car with a mechanic and he doesn't get it fixed for 3 days, I'll say it took 3 days regardless of how many hours he actually spent working on it. If I wait in line for 2 hours it matters not at all how long the actual transaction took. I was still there 2 hours with no help.
Old 08-18-19, 03:42 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
I think that suggesting that RH is wrong or not truthful is extremely disrespectful.
But obviously many others felt that the original and subsequent posts were both uninformed and entitled. Different views
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-18-19, 04:24 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
This one is mild compared the Road forums. There some of those folks eat their young!
Old 08-18-19, 04:44 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
I'm well aware of the quality of posters online. You are a great example. How old are you, 25 or less would be my guess. Most folks get better sense after 25 but you may be a late bloomer. Do you work at a bike shop and try to milk every customer? Now that would really be icing on the cake.lol

I counted 2 hours because that's how long I was there.No interest in helping me before I left or after I came back. If I leave a car with a mechanic and he doesn't get it fixed for 3 days, I'll say it took 3 days regardless of how many hours he actually spent working on it. If I wait in line for 2 hours it matters not at all how long the actual transaction took. I was still there 2 hours with no help.
That’s it, the bike shop was rude! Not a open minded charmer such as yourself.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-18-19, 05:30 PM
downhillmaster

I’m 54 and I have never worked at a bike shop.
I also am unbiased and experienced enough to talk intelligently about bike shops.
That makes one of us.
You waited 2 hours before you got service at your LBS.
Still a really cool story bro
Old 08-18-19, 06:13 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Is it any wonder that the majority of the population in the USA prefers to purchase their new bicycles from WAL-MART, TARGET, AMAZON, and Walmart/Target's & others' Ebay stores?

Sadly, too often, this type of helpful reception that R H CLARK has received here in this bikeforums thread is where things seem to be in certain bike shops.
R H Clark simply expressed the experience that RH CLARK had. Neither you or I were there.
Differences of opinion and personalities contribute greatly to an interesting world.

Perhaps, maybe those bike shops are taking the approach that the customer is wrong. It seems it might be the case. Obviously, there is no debate that RH Clark received what I would call poor customer service at the bike shop that he visited. There is absolutely nothing wrong with mentioning that you'd like to know what the most cost effective solution. Everybody wants to know this and usually does ask this before any other service provider/contractor/parts supplier/repair person begins any type of work. Why should his inquiry here be any different?
All I can say is vote with your pocketbook!
That sums it all up in one sentence. And this works for any business, regardless of type. If nothing else never forget that.
Poor customer service tends to come back to haunt businesses as those who feel they have not been treated well will tend to tell others of their "less-than-great" experience there. Now if the business had shown attentive friendly service with a smile and respect, perhaps that bike shop business would have him telling folks how wonderful they are. Sometimes, in business you must do just a little more for the customer, if you intend to thrive and be around a long time. Sometimes it is not only what gets ringed up at the register that matters, but the overall impression of that person who just walked out the door.
Without a doubt. In fact, I'm drafting not one but two letters right now in a complaints about service from local establishments. As someone who spent a great many years working and training other in the service industry, I'm all about letting the businesses know when they've done well and when they need improvement.

In both cases the employee refused to identify themselves after I asked. Always clear indication they've done something wrong. A poorly trained employee can destroy your business. No wonder a lot of bike shops are going out of business.
Old 08-19-19, 05:05 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by KraneXL
That sums it all up in one sentence. And this works for any business, regardless of type. If nothing else never forget that.
Without a doubt. In fact, I'm drafting not one but two letters right now in a complaints about service from local establishments. As someone who spent a great many years working and training other in the service industry, I'm all about letting the businesses know when they've done well and when they need improvement.

In both cases the employee refused to identify themselves after I asked. Always clear indication they've done something wrong. A poorly trained employee can destroy your business. No wonder a lot of bike shops are going out of business.
Two letters this week alone eh?
You must be a joy to take care of...
Old 08-19-19, 05:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
I wish ya'll well.
Buh-bye.
Old 08-19-19, 08:22 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
'New cable' stretch, it's a 2 minute fix via the barrel adjuster.

but welcome to 2019 and modern ethics, which is selling people stuff they don't need.
Part of the problem is people with money (read: A LOT of disposable income) who just want to ride their bikes and not worry about learning how to maintain or repair them take their bikes in and tell the mechanics, "Just give it whatever it needs." Of course they're going to take advantage of that and replace a lot of parts which don't need replacing. Once they get into that mindset, it's hard to get out of it when an average Joe comes in needing something fixed or adjusted on their bike, and of course they want to upsell as much as possible and suggest replacing things which are perfectly fine.
Old 08-19-19, 08:24 AM
Milton Keynes

Poor customer service tends to come back to haunt businesses as those who feel they have not been treated well will tend to tell others of their "less-than-great" experience there.
And a poor customer service experience will really hurt a business, because if someone has a great experience they might tell a few people, but if someone has a poor experience, they'll tell EVERYBODY.
Old 08-19-19, 08:26 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yeah. That's where I became convinced that this is yet another LBS hate troll thread. What's next? Another BSOs suck thread?
If that fails, we could do another chain lube thread, or "Why are people so dangerous on bike paths?" thread...
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 08-19-19, 08:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Check your chain--leave it for anything like 10 years like you said, and you'll have to replace the entire drive train in order to save a few bucks now.

Outside of that, I don't see where you actually asked for help. Go to a different bike shop or learn how to do stuff yourself is about as helpful as it can get.

As for understanding:

There, there, you will be ok.

Better?
Old 08-19-19, 08:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
If that fails, we could do another chain lube thread, or "Why are people so dangerous on bike paths?" thread...
Ring bell vs, announce pass, protecting yourself from dogs, platform vs. clipless.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-19-19, 09:10 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Ring bell vs, announce pass, protecting yourself from dogs, platform vs. clipless.
Or, if you really get bored, go into A&S and find a post containing a video of a car/bicycle collision, and explain at length how it was the cyclists' fault because they weren't riding safely enough.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 08-19-19, 09:35 AM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
"Are all bikeshops like this?
Short answer: No.
Old 08-19-19, 09:38 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
And a poor customer service experience will really hurt a business, because if someone has a great experience they might tell a few people, but if someone has a poor experience, they'll tell EVERYBODY.
Some people -- esp. business owners -- just don't get this. Then they wonder why their business fails.

Part of the problem is people with money (read: A LOT of disposable income) who just want to ride their bikes and not worry about learning how to maintain or repair them take their bikes in and tell the mechanics, "Just give it whatever it needs." Of course they're going to take advantage of that and replace a lot of parts which don't need replacing. Once they get into that mindset, it's hard to get out of it when an average Joe comes in needing something fixed or adjusted on their bike, and of course they want to upsell as much as possible and suggest replacing things which are perfectly fine.
Only the dishonest ones, which I'm met. However, if you find an honest dealer then that's the one to stick with. I did, and my mechanic wouldn't let me buy anything I didn't need. When I'd pick up a new part ready to get it for my bike, he'd tell me I didn't need that.

Rather, he'd repair what I already had and give me advice on how to maintain it for maximum life. The result was I was a loyal customer for over a decade and bought all my cycling apparel and two of my bikes from them within that time.
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Short answer: No.
More are than aren't. IME, I'd say 1 in 5 are honest sellers. If you find an honest one, consider yourself lucky.
Old 08-19-19, 09:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Or, if you really get bored, go into A&S and find a post containing a video of a car/bicycle collision, and explain at length how it was the cyclists' fault because they weren't riding safely enough.
The real challenge in A&S is finding a post that doesn't fit that description.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-19-19, 01:05 PM
donhaller 

Bikes: GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
I have three shops all 45 minutes in different directions. All three of them are amazing. Even the snootier one is very helpful and has great mechanics. I shouldn't even call them snooty because they are not. They just sell high end bikes and accessories and you pay for their location as well. But the half dozen times I've been there to have a wheel worked on, get a new pair of bike shorts or just mull around the store drooling, they have bent over backwards. So... I have been in shops with rude employees that didn't seem to have the time of day for me, but I think that out of all my cycle shop experiences most have been pretty good
Old 08-19-19, 01:47 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by donhaller
I have three shops all 45 minutes in different directions.
The owner of a LBS 12 miles from my house built me this. I rode it home from the shop.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-19-19, 02:13 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Mogens
They’re not interested in doing cheap repairs on used bikes; it’s not good business for them. I owned a retail business for 15 years and sometimes there are customers you just don’t want. What do you do? Do you say, “Sorry sir, this isn’t going to work out?” Nope. You just kind of hope they leave. I’ve been on both ends of this. I’m not really defending them, just being realistic. They either correctly or incorrectly came to the conclusion that you weren’t of value to them. So that’s one perspective I can offer as a small business owner.
As someone who runs a small automotive shop, I can totally agree with this. There are some jobs which are going to take a lot of your time & effort and give you little profit. I hate to turn anyone away, or be rude and ignore them, so most of the time we just grin & bear it. On some occasions, the customer just has to be told that there's not much we can do for them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.