Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Orbea Orca Aero vs. Pinarello Gan Disk Ultegra: Torn. Help me decide.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Orbea Orca Aero vs. Pinarello Gan Disk Ultegra: Torn. Help me decide.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-19, 07:32 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Yeah, I'm not seeing much of a reason for an upgrade other than "just because," NTTAWWT. In that case, just go for whichever will give you more pride of ownership to get your ass in the saddle as much as possible.
Old 08-20-19, 11:34 AM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by rodey
One question about the Gan I haven't been able to find (maybe not looking hard enough), but what's the difference between the Gan, Gan K and Gan S?

The bike I test rode at the shop was a Gan, but it was 105. I'd want Ultegra. They said they had a Gan K at a different location in Ultegra that they could send up. Just not sure what the lettering means.
From what I can make of it, Gan is the base/105 model. Gan K has Ultegra, and a more relaxed (true endurance) geometry. Gan S was the racier version with more aggressive geometry, and a higher grade carbon...but it looks like it hasn't been produced since 2018?

So, I think your only option is the K if you want Ultegra
Old 08-20-19, 11:40 AM
rodey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35
From what I can make of it, Gan is the base/105 model. Gan K has Ultegra, and a more relaxed (true endurance) geometry. Gan S was the racier version with more aggressive geometry, and a higher grade carbon...but it looks like it hasn't been produced since 2018?

So, I think your only option is the K if you want Ultegra
Huh, yeah, I think you're correct.

I tested the Gan and liked the frame feel. Not sure how much different the K would be, but I don't know that I'd want something more relaxed.

Definitely want Ultegra, though. The shifting just feels much smoother than 105 to me.
Old 08-20-19, 12:05 PM
melikebikey35

Huh, yeah, I think you're correct.

I tested the Gan and liked the frame feel. Not sure how much different the K would be, but I don't know that I'd want something more relaxed.

Definitely want Ultegra, though. The shifting just feels much smoother than 105 to me.
The sizing between the Gan and Gan K is very strange, to say the least, but it looks like it's not that much of a difference in the larger sized frames that you would need. But on the smaller end (ie. 53) there is a very noticeable difference...

Yah, a lot of people will say that 105 and Ultegra perform the same, but I definitely noticed a difference when I first made the jump. Does the Orca Aero you are looking at have 105 or Ultegra?
Old 08-20-19, 12:57 PM
rodey

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The sizing between the Gan and Gan K is very strange, to say the least, but it looks like it's not that much of a difference in the larger sized frames that you would need. But on the smaller end (ie. 53) there is a very noticeable difference...

Yah, a lot of people will say that 105 and Ultegra perform the same, but I definitely noticed a difference when I first made the jump. Does the Orca Aero you are looking at have 105 or Ultegra?
Yeah, the Orca Aero is Ultegra. Might try the Gan out again, but if they can't get the Gan in Ultegra, that might be a deal breaker (leaning towards the Orca Aero anyway).

I may give the BMC's they threw me on another shot too. They had me try a TeamMachine Ultegra that was on sale for $3600 and a RoadMachine 105 that was $2999. I liked both a decent bit.

Assuming I still like the Orca when I ride it in my proper size, it might end up being the best choice. It's full Ultegra at $2999, which is hard to pass up.
Old 08-20-19, 01:37 PM
melikebikey35

Yeah, the Orca Aero is Ultegra. Might try the Gan out again, but if they can't get the Gan in Ultegra, that might be a deal breaker (leaning towards the Orca Aero anyway).

I may give the BMC's they threw me on another shot too. They had me try a TeamMachine Ultegra that was on sale for $3600 and a RoadMachine 105 that was $2999. I liked both a decent bit.

Assuming I still like the Orca when I ride it in my proper size, it might end up being the best choice. It's full Ultegra at $2999, which is hard to pass up.
The Teammachine SLR01 is the bike that I really, REALLY wanted, but it was just too expensive when I was pricing all the bikes out.
But, of course, I see the exact bike (in my size) a few weeks later is now on sale...if only I would have been a little more patient

It does seem like you have your mind set on the Orca Aero, and $3k with Ulegra is a good deal.
Old 08-21-19, 06:55 AM
rodey

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The Teammachine SLR01 is the bike that I really, REALLY wanted, but it was just too expensive when I was pricing all the bikes out.
But, of course, I see the exact bike (in my size) a few weeks later is now on sale...if only I would have been a little more patient

It does seem like you have your mind set on the Orca Aero, and $3k with Ulegra is a good deal.
Yeah, the BMC I rode and liked most was the Teammachine SLR02 Disc Two. They had it marked down on sale to $3600. That's a little more than I want to spend, but I do have that wiggle room.

I might give it another ride. They were throwing a lot of bikes at me to try, so I didn't spend a lot of time on that one. I do remember liking it/thinking it felt a lot like my SuperSix Evo. The shop mechanic also handpicked that one as being one he loved (though he also said Orbea was really quality).
Old 08-21-19, 12:27 PM
melikebikey35

Yeah, the BMC I rode and liked most was the Teammachine SLR02 Disc Two. They had it marked down on sale to $3600. That's a little more than I want to spend, but I do have that wiggle room.

I might give it another ride. They were throwing a lot of bikes at me to try, so I didn't spend a lot of time on that one. I do remember liking it/thinking it felt a lot like my SuperSix Evo. The shop mechanic also handpicked that one as being one he loved (though he also said Orbea was really quality).
If you like the way the Teammachine felt, personally, I'd go that route. Simply for fact that it has disc brakes and the Orbea doesn't.

The added performance and confidence they give you are 100% worth the $600 difference...at least I think so