Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Going to our 1 and only Trek dealer waste of time

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-23-19, 05:42 PM
St8kout

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So I took the advice from the "Introductions" section to visit the LBS here in Vegas before buying online. Granted, normally it's probably not bad advice, but that's 3 hours I'll never get back.

Guess all the LBS bike 'experts' took the day off as my salesgirl...ok, salesperson...was still in the 'on-the-job-training' phase. She had to consult someone in the back almost every time I asked a question. Pretty sure I knew more about the bike than she did. She finally realized a way out by saying, "they'll explain all that to you when you pick up the bike."

She did let me test drive the newest 2020 Domane SL 5 (in Nautical Navy) they just got in. At least seeing that color in person made up my mind to go with Rage Red, as I was on the fence. The Nautical color looked depressingly dull. Maybe that's part anti-theft, (who'd want to steal THAT).

Before going there everything I read indicated I needed a size 54 bike (32" inseam, 68" height), but they had a 2019 Domane size 56 she thought I should try. Even with the seat all the way down I was so hunched over I couldn't see 10' in front of me, and I could barely control the bike. The 2020 SL 5 in size 54 was WAY better.

When ordering they used the same public web page, said it didn't matter ordering online or ordering through them. You'd think they would have some special dealer logon page or something. But anyway I put a downpayment on it and will have to wait a week to 10 days.
Old 08-23-19, 06:31 PM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Nice bike and color. Wish you the best with it. Hopefully you will have a good experience getting set up when it arrives.
Old 08-23-19, 07:43 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Enjoy your new bike!
Old 08-24-19, 04:05 AM
Prodigy4299

Bikes: 1990 Trek 850, 2005 Cannondale R1000, 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
I hear you. I often walk out of local LBS's with a stronger urge to just buy stuff online.
Old 08-24-19, 07:49 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Well, by actually seeing/trying the bike you confirmed the correct size and color preference. So not a complete waste of time. Being able to see and touch the product are the few advantages bricks and mortar retailers can still offer over online.

Last edited by jimincalif; 08-24-19 at 04:05 PM.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 08-24-19, 07:58 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
It’s a shame they didn’t have a more experienced sales person to help but she seems to have done her best to help you. As far as the LBS having more expertise, to be fair we are not the typical buyers. We are far more fanatical and knowledgeable. Last, the LBS has multiple lines, each with multiple models. They can’t possibly be expert on everything.
Likes For MSchott:
Old 08-24-19, 09:48 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Well they should be expert at selling the correct size and not pushing you to buy off the floor. RUN!
Old 08-24-19, 10:14 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
Well they should be expert at selling the correct size and not pushing you to buy off the floor. RUN!
Doesn't sound like she was pushing him to buy the wrong size bike, but rather trying to get him out on a bike to confirm his belief.

I'm surprised McGhies didn't have a 54cm in stock(or at the other location), but I guess the could have sold out of their first shipment of 2020s
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-24-19, 02:21 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by St8kout
Guess all the LBS bike 'experts' took the day off as my salesgirl...ok, salesperson...was still in the 'on-the-job-training' phase. She had to consult someone in the back almost every time I asked a question. Pretty sure I knew more about the bike than she did. She finally realized a way out by saying, "they'll explain all that to you when you pick up the bike."
No reason to put the girl down. All sales people were new once. A person has to start somewhere, just like you did.
Old 08-24-19, 02:39 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
No reason to put the girl down. All sales people were new once. A person has to start somewhere, just like you did.
+1
I wonder what questions he had, that she couldn’t answer off the top of her head.

It’s a totally new frameset, so I can understand why a salesperson might not have all the answers.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-24-19, 03:09 PM
St8kout

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
Well I know that, and I wasn't putting her down. I was mainly pointing out that it was pretty much a bust taking the time to drive all the way over there, (a 30 minute drive each way), and finding out nothing new, instead of simply ordering online from my house the day before like I planned.
Old 08-24-19, 03:13 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Congratulations on a very fine bike!
Old 08-24-19, 05:47 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,320 Times in 673 Posts
That's horrible. You were able to actually see the bike and colors. Test ride it and possibly get a discounted last years model if it fit. The salesperson also did there best to get answers to your questions which they did not know. Perhaps their knowledge base could have been deeper but by the sounds of it, they strived to get the answers you were looking for.

It sounds like you would be better served by purchasing online in the future.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-25-19, 11:15 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Well I need to know what questions you specifically asked before judging the salesperson.

But the fact that you bought a very expensive bike regardless shows me she can’t be that bad. Her job is to sell not to enlighten you about the product.

but you got to try it out and see what fits. Most of us in the know wouldn’t even have to try the bike out or get fitment. When I know what bike I want I will test ride it just to ensure all the components function as it should and do a quick over to make sure there is no damage to the bike.

heck the only question I would ask is...can I get a bigger discount!
Old 08-25-19, 11:21 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Why was it a waste of time....? you bought a bike.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 08-26-19, 01:31 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Welcome to sales in any industry or any product, lol. When's the last time you bought a car?
Old 08-26-19, 01:43 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

[QUOTE=MyTi;21091624] Most of us in the know wouldn’t even have to try the bike out or get fitment. When I know what bike I want I will test ride it just to ensure all the components function as it should and do a quick over to make sure there is no damage to the bike./QUOTE] To be fair, lots of folks here may not have your level of knowledge and experience. That said, hope you can decide on something soon. Autumn is not the time to be without a bike.
Old 08-26-19, 01:45 PM
mattleegee

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
When i spent 4 hours at my LBS i was concerned i was wasting their time.....
Asking to ride almost every 54 sized road bike on the rack ( and they stock over 700 bikes).............. ok i test rode about 15 of them
Towards the end i felt sorry for having them pull off bikes on the 2nd and 3rd story racks, one guy needed a lunch break between all of my test riding
But i left with a new bike so i guess everyone won, and i was able to find something that felt and looked right
Old 08-26-19, 01:45 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
To be fair, lots of folks here may not have your level of knowledge and experience.
Let's hope not, for their sake.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-26-19, 03:39 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Lack of knowledge is NO excuse. Even if that was her very first day on the floor, I bet she knew the day before that she'd be working there. So, that gave her time to read EVERY *$#&ing page of information provided by Trek and the shop and the internet and... Yeah, there's a LOT of available info on the most common brand of bike sold today.

And yeah - the car industry is worse...
- Had a guy tell me the seats had lumber support. Cool. Glad they're using some natural products.
- At a Lexus dealership, a snooty new car sales guy, when asked "Does the GX460 still have a solid axle in the rear?" (admittedly, a test question to see if he knew his product)... responded "The whole vehicle is solid. It's a Lexus"

But it does sound like she did confirm the size by suggestion a test ride on the 56. That was smart. Our measurements are only part of the equation.

Congrats on the new ride! Red's faster too.
Old 08-26-19, 04:30 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by Zaskar
- At a Lexus dealership, a snooty new car sales guy, when asked "Does the GX460 still have a solid axle in the rear?" (admittedly, a test question to see if he knew his product)... responded "The whole vehicle is solid. It's a Lexus"
They probably get lots of Lookie Lou time wasters.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-27-19, 06:43 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Lack of knowledge is NO excuse. Even if that was her very first day on the floor, I bet she knew the day before that she'd be working there. So, that gave her time to read EVERY *$#&ing page of information provided by Trek and the shop and the internet and... Yeah, there's a LOT of available info on the most common brand of bike sold today.

- Had a guy tell me the seats had lumber support. Cool. Glad they're using some natural products.

But it does sound like she did confirm the size by suggestion a test ride on the 56. That was smart. Our measurements are only part of the equation.

You sound like a peach of a "customer."

FWIW, you're absolutely wrong about the affect of a lot of readily available info - it's not a benefit to the uninitiated, quite the opposite. Having a ton of info makes it all the more difficult to parse the relevant info.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-27-19, 06:51 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts

That’s not reasonable. It’s an entry level job paying close to minimum wage. She may not be a bike enthusiast to the extent we are. You seem to expect her to become an expert overnight. I’m an enthusiast who leans towards Specialized products. I easily get confused about all the models and the variants of each.
Likes For MSchott:
Old 08-27-19, 06:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Should I be pissed that the new guy at the Whole Foods fish station took forever to clean my branzino and had to be walked through it by a more experienced employee?
Old 08-27-19, 08:07 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Should I be pissed that the new guy at the Whole Foods fish station took forever to clean my branzino and had to be walked through it by a more experienced employee?
If he didn't know the difference in tuna and salmon... yeah. Or, if he didn't know if the salmon was fresh caught or farm-raised... yeah.

I'm not saying every bike shop employee should be on the level a pro team mechanic. But not knowing the basic product specs - info on company's website, e.g. geometries, groups, colors, etc. That's just inexcusable. We beat up on car sales guys, but there are fewer features/details on a bike than just the dashboard of a new car. It's not that difficult.

I love how, on one hand we excuse the slackness of SOME bike shops... and then complain that the industry is struggling. Why is the retail/LBS struggling? Because they serve little purpose. The parts are more plentiful and cheaper online. Every city has five different mobile mechanic companies/franchises who'll come to your house. So what's left? Product knowledge? Advice? Consulting on new bikes (geometry/fitting)? Yet, we're okay with salespeople who haven't bothered to learn the brand and shops that don't prioritize training.

For what it's worth, I love my LBS - the guys absolutely know their ****. Every one of them rides, the sales guys are better mechanics that I am (I claim to do 90% of my own wrenching) and their mechanics are just amazing. This shop has survived while lots (most?) in the area have folded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.