Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-25-19, 02:17 PM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

I wanted to know if anyone has a Canyon Endurace and what their thoughts are. You cannot try one unless your in Germany or CA. I'm looking at this bike, considering you get a full Shimano Ultegra build for about $2700. It's hard to find a build like this under $3K.
Old 08-25-19, 03:18 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I ride a Canyon Endurace CF SLX and have over 12,600 miles on it. The bike handles well and is a comfortable ride on the roads around Houston, TX. I like 28 mm tires and Reynolds carbon rims. I changed from the original Fizik saddle to a Koobi. I ride on Continental Gator Hard Shell tires because we have a lot of road debris which cuts down on flats. I am very happy with the bike. You can read about my rides at the website in my signature.
Old 08-25-19, 03:38 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Seems like a nice bike. It would be near the top of the list if I were in the market for a complete bike in that price range. It's one of the few complete bikes you can get with campagnolo, so I'd spend the extra two hundred bucks for potenza.
Old 08-25-19, 04:38 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
I think there have been some complaints about their CS if there are any issues, might want to search around before committing. Nice bikes though.
Old 08-25-19, 04:46 PM
mantis
Don't Bug Me

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0 Disc, Cervelo S2, Look 585, Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Double post.

Last edited by mantis; 10-08-19 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-25-19, 05:07 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by puma1552
I think there have been some complaints about their CS if there are any issues, might want to search around before committing. Nice bikes though.
I put a lot of that down to people who don't know how to work on their own bike probably shouldn't get a mail-order bike.
Likes For kingston:
Old 08-25-19, 05:22 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I put a lot of that down to people who don't know how to work on their own bike probably shouldn't get a mail-order bike.
And that's probably fair, I just think it's something the OP should look into before he drops 3 large on a bike through the mail. I don't recall if the issues people had where CS was less than helpful were issues related to mechanical stuff, or if they were more like cosmetic/shipping/damaged type issues where you would need CS to be solid regardless of your bike skills - I just remember seeing 2-3 threads of people complaining about CS for some issue or another, but don't recall what the issues were.
Old 08-25-19, 05:25 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Nice-looking bike, especially in red, but I'm jonesing for the Aeroad. It's $200 more with 105 and rim brakes.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Likes For horatio:
Old 08-25-19, 05:27 PM
mantis
Don't Bug Me

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0 Disc, Cervelo S2, Look 585, Specialized Rockhopper

I can’t help you with an Endurace but I did buy a Canyon Aeroad SL 8.0 Ultegra 8000 disc in May. My bike has is fantastic and I love it. I had misgivings about ride comfort not being able to do a test ride but my Aeroad is actually very comfortable to ride and I would think an Endurace would be the same if not better.

I had zero problems with dealing with Canyon and my bike arrived just as I ordered it and in perfect condition. If you have and specific questions post them up and I would be happy to try and help.

Dave
Likes For mantis:
Old 08-25-19, 06:22 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
I put about 3,000 miles on my Endurace before giving up on it. It is a very nice bicycle, but the frame was just too stiff for me, so the ride was not comfortable enough for my beat up body. Otherwise there was no problem. Well one problem...the bike uses a 1-1/4” steerer tube, so finding a different length stem can be a bit of a challenge.

I had no need for customer service other than a couple of minor presale questions regarding conflicting specifications between models on their website. My questions were answered with several “I thinks” and “probablies.” This was not confidence inspiring and as it turned out the answers should have been “No”.
Old 08-26-19, 12:36 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by mantis
I had zero problems with dealing with Canyon and my bike arrived just as I ordered it and in perfect condition. If you have and specific questions post them up and I would be happy to try and help.

Dave
?? So IOW, you had no reason and didn't have to deal with Canyon customer service?
Old 08-26-19, 01:08 PM
mantis
Don't Bug Me

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
?? So IOW, you had no reason and didn't have to deal with Canyon customer service?
I dealt with them pre-sale to find the bike/size/color I wanted as I was not having any luck seeing it in stock on their website. I asked for their Garmin mount to be included in the sale and they gave it to me free. I called a couple of times with questions after I ordered and they were fine.

I never dealt with them after the bike arrived because I had no issues or complaints.
Likes For mantis:
Old 08-27-19, 12:28 PM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I put about 3,000 miles on my Endurace before giving up on it. It is a very nice bicycle, but the frame was just too stiff for me, so the ride was not comfortable enough for my beat up body. Otherwise there was no problem. Well one problem...the bike uses a 1-1/4” steerer tube, so finding a different length stem can be a bit of a challenge.

I had no need for customer service other than a couple of minor presale questions regarding conflicting specifications between models on their website. My questions were answered with several “I thinks” and “probablies.” This was not confidence inspiring and as it turned out the answers should have been “No”.

I've been curious about the Endurace CF SL 8.0 Disc with Ultegra Di2. Which group did yours have? Have you sold it? Did it retain its value?

Did you turn the stem upside down? Apparently that will give an additional 6 degree rise. Did you end up replacing the stem? If so, with what?

I'm curious about the harshness? What bike did you ride before? What size did you get, did you go by the fit guide? The guide said I'm at the upper end of a small (54cm),

but I think I would get a medium, which apparently is 56cm, which is what I normally ride.

I have a Cannondale ST with large aluminum tubes, which I find to be quite harsh (compared to steel), but since it's from the late 80s, I expect a modern bike like the Endurace might be more forgiving (with its funky seat post and seat tube) ...

What were the unanswered pre-sale questions? Was the outcome of those satisfactory on receipt of bike?

I asked about the hubs (DT Swiss, didn't get model) and number of spokes (24) on the DT Swiss R1800s which isn't info included on their site, but the guy on the phone went to check and relayed the info.

I'm a bit put off by only 24 spokes on an endurance bike, but maybe wheels have gotten better?

I'd love to try such a modern bike but also worry about a harsh ride coming from mostly vintage lightweight steel bikes.
Old 08-27-19, 01:30 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by specialmonkey
I've been curious about the Endurace CF SL 8.0 Disc with Ultegra Di2. Which group did yours have? Have you sold it? Did it retain its value?

Did you turn the stem upside down? Apparently that will give an additional 6 degree rise. Did you end up replacing the stem? If so, with what?

I'm curious about the harshness? What bike did you ride before? What size did you get, did you go by the fit guide? The guide said I'm at the upper end of a small (54cm),

but I think I would get a medium, which apparently is 56cm, which is what I normally ride.

I have a Cannondale ST with large aluminum tubes, which I find to be quite harsh (compared to steel), but since it's from the late 80s, I expect a modern bike like the Endurace might be more forgiving (with its funky seat post and seat tube) ...

What were the unanswered pre-sale questions? Was the outcome of those satisfactory on receipt of bike?

I asked about the hubs (DT Swiss, didn't get model) and number of spokes (24) on the DT Swiss R1800s which isn't info included on their site, but the guy on the phone went to check and relayed the info.

I'm a bit put off by only 24 spokes on an endurance bike, but maybe wheels have gotten better?

I'd love to try such a modern bike but also worry about a harsh ride coming from mostly vintage lightweight steel bikes.
I had the CF 8.0, which was Ultegra, but not Di2. My previous ride was a 2018 Specialized Diverge Comp. It has a Praxxis crank set with the rest of the drivetrain being 105. The Ultegra was in a completely different league, as far as drivetrain goes. (I put this down to the Praxxis crank set, not the 105.)

I traded the bike in and got about half the current retail price. I'm sure I could have gotten more from it selling it myself, but didn't want to bother.

I did turn the stem upside down, and added some Specialized Hover Bars which increased the stack by 15mm, and that helped. But the stack was still 25-30mm or so lower than the Diverge which has a 12 degree stem on it).

The Diverge and now my Roubaix are both 56cm. On the Canyon I got the 54cm. Side by side, the bike frames look very close in size, so the Canyon definitely runs large. I too was a the end of the size guide's recommendation for the 54cm. I think a 56 would have been too large for me.

The unanswered pre-sale questions had to do with discrepancies with the stack specification. I don't recall the exact issue now. I should have insisted on an answer. Live and learn.

Yes, mine had the 24-hole DTSwiss R1800 wheels. I had no issue with them at about 250 pounds.

I really enjoyed riding the bike. I would say quality-wise it was equal in every way to my Specialized bicycles. I liked pretty much everything about it, but after about 2 hours of riding time, my body (my neck, shoulders and lower back) would be very tight and hurting. I should add that I start every ride with a couple of extra-strength aspirin to combat this. I'm not getting any younger and my body has a lot of miles (lots of off-road motorcycle riding).

During the winter I picked up a '96 Canondale R500, I think it was. Aluminum frame. Fun, but I simply could not ride the bike anywhere near as long as any of the modern bikes I have. I would classify it as much harsher than the Endurace.

Maybe you can find somewhere to rent a modern bike. I don't think of the Diverge or Roubaix as harsh at all. The Endurace never really *felt* harsh when riding, but as soon as I hit the 30-35 mile mark. I was looking for the shortest route home. I did a century ride on the Diverge this past January, and felt pretty good. I think the Roubaix will be near identical on long rides like that, perhaps better.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 08-27-19, 02:49 PM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by texbiker
I ride a Canyon Endurace CF SLX and have over 12,600 miles on it. The bike handles well and is a comfortable ride on the roads around Houston, TX. I like 28 mm tires and Reynolds carbon rims. I changed from the original Fizik saddle to a Koobi. I ride on Continental Gator Hard Shell tires because we have a lot of road debris which cuts down on flats. I am very happy with the bike. You can read about my rides at the website in my signature.
I wanted to ask you what your height is roughly and what size you have? I currently have an "endurance geometry" bike and I do like being somewhat more upright when my hands are on the hoods. It's hard to tell where you will wind up position wise from a geometry chart.
Old 08-27-19, 03:24 PM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I had the CF 8.0, which was Ultegra, but not Di2. My previous ride was a 2018 Specialized Diverge Comp. It has a Praxxis crank set with the rest of the drivetrain being 105. The Ultegra was in a completely different league, as far as drivetrain goes. (I put this down to the Praxxis crank set, not the 105.)

I traded the bike in and got about half the current retail price. I'm sure I could have gotten more from it selling it myself, but didn't want to bother.

I did turn the stem upside down, and added some Specialized Hover Bars which increased the stack by 15mm, and that helped. But the stack was still 25-30mm or so lower than the Diverge which has a 12 degree stem on it).

The Diverge and now my Roubaix are both 56cm. On the Canyon I got the 54cm. Side by side, the bike frames look very close in size, so the Canyon definitely runs large. I too was a the end of the size guide's recommendation for the 54cm. I think a 56 would have been too large for me.

The unanswered pre-sale questions had to do with discrepancies with the stack specification. I don't recall the exact issue now. I should have insisted on an answer. Live and learn.

Yes, mine had the 24-hole DTSwiss R1800 wheels. I had no issue with them at about 250 pounds.

I really enjoyed riding the bike. I would say quality-wise it was equal in every way to my Specialized bicycles. I liked pretty much everything about it, but after about 2 hours of riding time, my body (my neck, shoulders and lower back) would be very tight and hurting. I should add that I start every ride with a couple of extra-strength aspirin to combat this. I'm not getting any younger and my body has a lot of miles (lots of off-road motorcycle riding).

During the winter I picked up a '96 Canondale R500, I think it was. Aluminum frame. Fun, but I simply could not ride the bike anywhere near as long as any of the modern bikes I have. I would classify it as much harsher than the Endurace.

Maybe you can find somewhere to rent a modern bike. I don't think of the Diverge or Roubaix as harsh at all. The Endurace never really *felt* harsh when riding, but as soon as I hit the 30-35 mile mark. I was looking for the shortest route home. I did a century ride on the Diverge this past January, and felt pretty good. I think the Roubaix will be near identical on long rides like that, perhaps better.
Thanks for the answers, it's quite helpful. I will try to rent something new beforehand. I'm 5'10 with a 34" cycling inseam, more or less. Bikes with 56cm top and seat tubes usually work well for me.

It seems it was stack height that made your Endurace less than ideal for you? Did you consider a new stem. I have no experience with threadless stems ... is it possible to use a taller stem / stack height on this bike? You mentioned it's 1.25"

I usually like my saddle level to my bars and am also over the hill , so notice the aches more and more these days. My thinking is that a medium would allow me the achieve this saddle to bar height measure better, due to not having to raise the saddle as much, and the fact that I ride a 56cm anyway. Perhaps this reasoning is flawed.

Canyon Endurace Geometry

Last edited by specialmonkey; 08-27-19 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-27-19, 03:55 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by TKJava
I wanted to ask you what your height is roughly and what size you have? I currently have an "endurance geometry" bike and I do like being somewhat more upright when my hands are on the hoods. It's hard to tell where you will wind up position wise from a geometry chart.
I am 5' 10" with a 32" inseam. I ride size M.
Old 08-27-19, 04:52 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by specialmonkey
Thanks for the answers, it's quite helpful. I will try to rent something new beforehand. I'm 5'10 with a 34" cycling inseam, more or less. Bikes with 56cm top and seat tubes usually work well for me.

It seems it was stack height that made your Endurace less than ideal for you? Did you consider a new stem. I have no experience with threadless stems ... is it possible to use a taller stem / stack height on this bike? You mentioned it's 1.25"

I usually like my saddle level to my bars and am also over the hill , so notice the aches more and more these days. My thinking is that a medium would allow me the achieve this saddle to bar height measure better, due to not having to raise the saddle as much, and the fact that I ride a 56cm anyway. Perhaps this reasoning is flawed.
I’m a smudge taller than 5-11”. Long arms. I seam is about 32”.

I believe the stack height is the issue for me, yes. A 12 degree (17 might have even been better) at 90mm would have helped. But stems for 1.25” steerer tubes are apparently few and far between. Giant makes them, and there’s an import brand I found on eBay that makes one. That’s all I could find, but I didn’t look exhaustively.

As I said, the Endurace is a fine bicycle. My only hesitation in recommending one would be if you think you’re going to need a different stem, find out if Canyon has what you think you need and order it with the bike. Or at least make sure you can find an aftermarket stem that matches your need before you buy.

The larger frame might well help you accomplish the fit you’re looking for. My only hesitation with that idea for myself would be that the seat post would be shorter and therefore less compliant on a larger frame. For me that means more body aches. I tried several saddles on the bicycle which had rails of varying heights. These translated to a difference of about 5/8” in seat post height, which I could feel. It wasn’t a huge difference, but if it were more like 2” of height difference it might be. At least for me.
Old 08-28-19, 04:52 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I’m a smudge taller than 5-11”. Long arms. I seam is about 32”.

I believe the stack height is the issue for me, yes. A 12 degree (17 might have even been better) at 90mm would have helped. But stems for 1.25” steerer tubes are apparently few and far between. Giant makes them, and there’s an import brand I found on eBay that makes one. That’s all I could find, but I didn’t look exhaustively.

As I said, the Endurace is a fine bicycle. My only hesitation in recommending one would be if you think you’re going to need a different stem, find out if Canyon has what you think you need and order it with the bike. Or at least make sure you can find an aftermarket stem that matches your need before you buy.

The larger frame might well help you accomplish the fit you’re looking for. My only hesitation with that idea for myself would be that the seat post would be shorter and therefore less compliant on a larger frame. For me that means more body aches. I tried several saddles on the bicycle which had rails of varying heights. These translated to a difference of about 5/8” in seat post height, which I could feel. It wasn’t a huge difference, but if it were more like 2” of height difference it might be. At least for me.
Canyon sell different length stems
at Canyon Gear

The support from Canyon USA has been fantastic for me
They are very helpful and super nice

I have both an Aeroad SL (rim brake) and an Ultimate SLX (Disc brake)
Old 08-28-19, 04:58 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Canyon sell different length stems
at Canyon Gear

The support from Canyon USA has been fantastic for me
They are very helpful and super nice

I have both an Aeroad SL (rim brake) and an Ultimate SLX (Disc brake)
Yes they do, as long as you want a 130mm stem. Any size you want as long as it’s 130mm.
Old 08-28-19, 05:22 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Yes they do, as long as you want a 130mm stem. Any size you want as long as it’s 130mm.
I'm guessing this is a joke, but can you request a different stem length when ordering a bike?
Old 08-28-19, 05:39 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Are you sure about that ?

Product details

Features

• Category 2 road bike 1 1/8” stem
  • High-quality aluminum material
  • New clamping concept
  • Extra-durable screws
  • Square cross-sectional profile

Details

• Length: 80 / 90 / 100 / 110 / 120 or 130 mm
  • Angle: +/- 6⁰
  • Fork Shaft: 1 1/8″
  • Category: 2
  • Weight: 80 mm (148 g) / 90 mm (153 g) / 100 mm (158 g) / 110 mm (163 g) / 120 mm (168 g) / 130 mm (173 g)
  • Material: AL-6061
  • Model Name: V15-15

Contents

• 1 x Canyon V15 Stem

Material

• Aluminium (AL)

Weight

• 173.00 g

Clamp Diameter Handlebar

• 31,8MM

Stem Length

• 130 mm

Head Tube Diameter

• 1 1/8"
Old 08-28-19, 07:23 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Are you sure about that ?
Product details

Features
  • Category 2 road bike 1 1/8” stem
  • High-quality aluminum material
  • New clamping concept
  • Extra-durable screws
  • Square cross-sectional profile
Details
  • Length: 80 / 90 / 100 / 110 / 120 or 130 mm
  • Angle: +/- 6⁰
  • Fork Shaft: 1 1/8″
  • Category: 2
  • Weight: 80 mm (148 g) / 90 mm (153 g) / 100 mm (158 g) / 110 mm (163 g) / 120 mm (168 g) / 130 mm (173 g)
  • Material: AL-6061
  • Model Name: V15-15
Contents
  • 1 x Canyon V15 Stem
Material
  • Aluminium (AL)
Weight
  • 173.00 g
Clamp Diameter Handlebar
  • 31,8MM
Stem Length
  • 130 mm
Head Tube Diameter
  • 1 1/8"
Yes. If you try to order it, 130mm is the only option. This could change but it was the same when I ordered in April.

Last edited by MattTheHat; 08-29-19 at 04:15 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-29-19, 03:07 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Yes. If you try to order it, 130mm is the only option. This could change but it was 5he same when I ordered in April.
That would be a deal breaker for me.
Old 08-29-19, 04:17 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
I'm guessing this is a joke, but can you request a different stem length when ordering a bike?
I’m not sure. There was no way to do so when I ordered online, but had I called to order I guess it’s possible. For me it didn’t matter because I had a step on hand that I thought I would be able to use, but it turned out it was too small for the steerer tube.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.