Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Uk Pinarello Treviso Marca Dep. value?

Old 08-23-19, 06:58 AM
Jason.richards

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uk Pinarello Treviso Marca Dep. value?

Hi all, I inherited a nice retro Pinarello Treviso Marca Dep, at least I gather that is the model name Due to the decals on the frame and a bit of light reading through some posts.

I see I am not allowed to post any pictures to my thread if anyone could assist with this that would be amazing.

As you can gather I’m not overly knowledgable in regards to retro bikes, or any bikes at all come to think of it. So any advice, knowledge, information, rough valuation would be greatly appreciated as I would like to post her up on eBay as soon as possible due to moving abroad with the family.

So as mentioned the badge/decal on the front of the frame says “Pinarello Trevico Marca Dep”, with another decal on the fork stating “Reynolds 531” which I believe is a steel frame. The brake levers have “Weinmann” embossed, the handle bar has “Sakae Custom” embossed, the seat has “San Marco” and “Rolls” plaques, gear shifters state Shimano.

This may not help much however I’d hope the pictures can do the talking if anybody can assist with these

Rather ambiguous post sorry but hopefully somebody may be able to impart some
wisdom

Last edited by Jason.richards; 08-23-19 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-23-19, 08:25 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Lots of stuff about this sound odd - looking forward to the photos.
Old 08-23-19, 09:30 AM
Jason.richards

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, odd?? I’ve seen other threads where people email the pictures to a member and they post them on their behalf, so hopeful somebody can help out
Old 08-25-19, 03:23 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
A Pinarello with a 531 decal is odd. Sounds like a fork
replacement.
Old 08-25-19, 10:47 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

^^^ what he said - the bike description sounds odd for a few reasons (will discuss after photos)...not your post. This is a perfect resource for your question and we all want to help. No problems at all with your post.

I’ll send you a pm with my email address - will gladly post on your behalf.
Old 08-25-19, 02:28 PM
Jason.richards

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry I’ve just re read my response to your comment and I definitely came across wrong 😄 I meant could you tell me what sounds odd as I wouldn’t have the first clue. But it definitely looked like I thought you were calling my post odd haha sorry.
I’ve sent some pictures across to you, thank you very much for that
Old 08-25-19, 09:30 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

No worries - sometimes it’s hard to read tone online, and you don’t know us. I don’t have photos yet btw...

So Pinarello is a shop in Treviso Italy...there’s not much info out there on their bikes before the late 70s, when they became a very prominent brand with a lot of race wins to their credit. In the 80s they became one of the top Italian brands around...they had a few different models from the mid-80s forward. To clarify, I’m not an expert on the brand.

Anyway - Reynolds 531 is British tubing...so that is definitely quite odd. As suggested above, it’s possible it’s had a fork replacement...but we’ll know better once we see the bike. The parts you named (Japanese stuff) would also not typically be found on a pinarello. There are a
few different possible explanations, but we’ll know better once we see it. Also - it’s Treviso, not Trevico...at first I thought maybe it was a poorly done fake decal, but you probably typo’d it? I noticed you did have it Treviso once, Trevico twice.

anyway - we’ll tell you more when we see it.

This is my pinarello - one of the earliest I’ve seen:
Old 08-27-19, 05:00 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Old 08-27-19, 05:02 AM
Jason.richards

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks very much for the detailed post mate, very helpful, I can’t actually see private messages yet either as I’m a new member, but I received the message to my email address also with a forwarding address of xxx.xxxxxxxxxx is that correct as I have forwarded the pictures to that address.
Sounds like the bike may be a bit of a mongrel then, hopefully you’ll be able to see from the pictures. As for the Treviso spelling, I did notice that spellcheck had changed it to Trevico and I tried to amend the thread title but it seems to just revert back to the original title

Last edited by cb400bill; 08-27-19 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Please don't post emails on Bike Forums.
Old 08-27-19, 05:02 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Old 08-27-19, 02:45 PM
Jason.richards

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah brilliant thanks mate, so what’s the verdict then?? Lovely bike you’ve got there by the way too
Old 08-28-19, 07:11 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I don't know their offerings from this period that well...I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would chime in. I don't think it's a Pinarello.
Old 09-02-19, 09:11 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

So, to me, the lug work looks wrong, the seatstay cap isn’t engraved, as I’d expect from the period, there’s a Reynolds decal on the fork and the seattube...

I think it’s a Japanese bike with decals on it. The paint even looks vaguely familiar...

Anyone else chime in?
Old 09-03-19, 03:37 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 140 Posts
I think it's a late 80s Giant.
Old 09-03-19, 07:21 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3896 Post(s)
Liked 4,822 Times in 2,226 Posts
The paint job is a tribute to Alexi Grewal's first American win in the 1984 Olympic road race. Red, white, blue with yellow (gold) at the BB. The blue looks a bit off color, but not sure.

Beyond that, i will have to wait a day or two (traveling now) to get a pic of my tribute bike.
R531 was not the tubeset listed in Pinarello or Gita catalogs for 1985.

Shorty fenders were never on any Pini I've ever seen.

(i will return with some pics of a comparable bike)

the fact that the decals are intact might be an indication it's not a Pinarello, especially given it's worn appearance.

edit: As a point of reference, I paid $200USD for my tribute bike (chrome replacement fork) - fully functional but also worn, and with indexed ShimaNo components.

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-03-19 at 09:48 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 09-03-19, 08:20 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,801 Posts
What several others have referred to is the fact that Pinarello (especially in the 80's) used decals that were notorious for not staying on the bike very well. I've never quite understood whether it was that the adhesive wasn't a good match chemically for the final layer of whatever paint coating they were using or if they just didn't clear over the top so that the decals had edges that stuck out and easily caught on things or what, but lots of otherwise very clean looking Pinarellos from the 80's have just shadows of their decals left.

The title says UK, is that where you are? I don't imagine that Pinarello would use different tubesets for different markets, but, in the current political climate, I could see someone trying to get around tariffs using that.
Old 09-03-19, 09:14 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by himespau
What several others have referred to is the fact that Pinarello (especially in the 80's) used decals that were notorious for not staying on the bike very well. I've never quite understood whether it was that the adhesive wasn't a good match chemically for the final layer of whatever paint coating they were using or if they just didn't clear over the top so that the decals had edges that stuck out and easily caught on things or what, but lots of otherwise very clean looking Pinarellos from the 80's have just shadows of their decals left.

The title says UK, is that where you are? I don't imagine that Pinarello would use different tubesets for different markets, but, in the current political climate, I could see someone trying to get around tariffs using that.
LOL! As more an Italian fan, you'd have to penalize me into using Reynolds tubing over Columbus

So to add to the confusion, there was "another" Pinarello that you'll occasionally see around...70s bike boom stuff as I recall. I looked up the IP on it once, and it went to a German company. I've never been clear on if there was a relationship between the two or not...though I tend to think not.

Pinarello did sell Pinarello branded city bikes, kids bikes...it was more full range, though higher end full range...than often known. For one of the biggest Italian names over the past 40 years, there is remarkably little information out there about Pinarello...who built them, when, production figures...

I don't think they exported much at all until much later.
Old 09-03-19, 09:54 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3896 Post(s)
Liked 4,822 Times in 2,226 Posts
https://saarf.london/category/vintage-bike-catalogs/

Scroll down until you get to the Pinarello catalog scans, which include the below SLX tribute bike.

Mine does not have internal brake routing; it does have a brake bridge; only a single bottle mount - so mine is not an SLX frame.

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-03-19 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-03-19, 10:07 AM
himespau 

I suppose the OP could always check the inside of the steerer from the bottom (easier than pulling the BB) to see if it's SLX with a weird tubing sticker (because the Columbus fell off).
Old 09-03-19, 10:08 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
LOL! As more an Italian fan, you'd have to penalize me into using Reynolds tubing over Columbus
I have a ballcap with the Columbus logo on it. The first time I wore it, my wife wondered what sports team it was supporting. I wonder how many people think that when I wear it.
Old 09-03-19, 11:01 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked 3,100 Times in 1,954 Posts
Drop outs would probably be Gipiemme at least, or Campagnolo I'd think. Any markings on them?

Also, seat bridge should have some Pinarello marking, and the seat stay flutes look more Japanese/English than Italian.
Old 09-03-19, 11:23 AM
Gregfl

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
A Pinarello with a 531 decal is odd. Sounds like a fork
replacement.
Agree
Old 09-03-19, 11:28 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Drop outs would probably be Gipiemme at least, or Campagnolo I'd think. Any markings on them?

Also, seat bridge should have some Pinarello marking, and the seat stay flutes look more Japanese/English than Italian.
I don't - think - I've seen an 80s Pinarello without engraved seatstay caps before, and all of the lugs look wrong to me; certainly the fork crown. The seattube has a 531 decal as well...and the paint on the frame seems to match the fork, so I don't think it's a replacement...I suspect it's a "tribute".

I have a ballcap with the Columbus logo on it. The first time I wore it, my wife wondered what sports team it was supporting. I wonder how many people think that when I wear it.

I want to get a Time hat...like that worn by Sidney Deane in one of the finest films ever made.
Old 09-03-19, 11:37 AM
himespau 

That "tribute" thing confuses me though because it probably required a repaint. If you're going to repaint it, why put on the the reynolds logos?
Old 09-03-19, 12:23 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

That "tribute" thing confuses me though because it probably required a repaint. If you're going to repaint it, why put on the the reynolds logos?
I don't get "it" either...

Maybe a similar paint scheme that someone tossed the decals on because it was similar? Maybe someone who had cheap access to paint? The Reynolds decals...i don't get it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.