Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Getting over bike shorts?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-19, 09:13 PM
Awaqa909

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been cycling a couple times a month, about 5 miles. On my cheap road bike. I'm slowly building up my cycling gear. I just got another "Baleaf Men's Bike Cycling Underwear Shorts 3D Padded Bicycle MTB" and am wondering when I should get a top and cleats. Though I kinda have a problem with cycling clothing. I'm not sure if the shorts I have are supposed to be underwear or what. I usually wear them commando, with basketball type shorts over them and a t shirt. I see cyclist riding without my basketball shorts. I just find it... well embarrassing. They're kinda revealing and it looks like there's a giant pad stuffed in. (male here) At least with my shorts. How did you get the confidence to wear nothing over your bike shorts? I feel like they're the speedo of the shorts world...

Thanks,
Awaqa909
Old 09-03-19, 09:17 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Exposure therapy is effective for a reason. It doesn't take too long to get over it once you actually do it.
Likes For sheddle:
Old 09-03-19, 09:23 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Simple - keep wearing the overshorts.

Until someday out on the trail you decide they are too much bother and take them off. Maybe you put them back on when you return to town. Maybe you start rides wearing them and take them off when you get outside of town. Eventually you no longer give a chain ring what others think, but only care about your own comfort, ability for sweat to evaporate, etc and wear them into a pub lunch stop with barely a thought.

But that time will come if and when it is right for you. As long as what you are wearing over them is thin, breathable, and dries fast it is no big issue.

T shirts are pretty bad. You don't have to go full fitted jersey kit but get some wicking poly running top at least, again, because of how it handles sweat. Long sleeve can have some advantages - evaporative cooling works pretty well and it reduces the sunscreen need.

Tight kit is for roadies who go fast, care about drag, and need to look the part. But breathable kit that does the job is for everyone - and at least in the shorts area, a loose base layer does not do the job.
Old 09-03-19, 10:06 PM
BlueBike83

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I doubt that padded shorts are even necessary for 5 mile rides... for the looks: you’ll get used to it :-)

A proper bike jersey is actually nice. Pockets for keys, phone, debit card and other necessities, breathable and long enough in the back.
Old 09-03-19, 10:11 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Wear whatever's comfortable for you.
Done.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 09-03-19, 10:19 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Not familiar with them but if "underwear" is in the product description, well, sounds to me like they're underwear. Ride on, friend, and tell everyone they're responsible for their own therapy.
As for the cleats--how "cheap" is your bike? By the time you add cleats, shoes and proper pedals, you could easily surpass the worth of the bike. I'm just sayin'.....
How'd I get the confidence to wear the kit? Well, I just put it on and rode. Nothing to it. After 30 yrs of wearing a kit, it isn't any different than wearing any thing else. Having no shame in my body helps too. At 64 years of age, I don't give a rats azz what any one else cares. I dress for comfort and function.
Jon

Last edited by Jon T; 09-03-19 at 10:28 PM.
Likes For Jon T:
Old 09-03-19, 10:27 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
What you're using are liner shorts and are meant to be worn under something else. I used them with gym shorts on my mountain bike until I built up a collection of worn out cycling shorts that I wear like liner shorts. I go full lycra on my roadie.

Also, you're supposed to go commando in cycling shorts.
Old 09-03-19, 10:43 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Awaqa909
I've been cycling a couple times a month, about 5 miles. On my cheap road bike. I'm slowly building up my cycling gear. I just got another "Baleaf Men's Bike Cycling Underwear Shorts 3D Padded Bicycle MTB"
Those are underwear. (please) don't wear them by themselves. Instead, get some 'real' cycling shorts and that will help.

Basically, at some point, you just get over it. Or not. no big whoop.

(and yes, you go commando under the padded shorts)
Likes For superdex:
Old 09-03-19, 10:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
No underwear under bike shorts. The pad is supposed to go up against your skin.
Old 09-03-19, 10:51 PM
scotton
noodly appendage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
When you start going far enough and fast enough to realize that the two parachutes strapped to your thighs are slowing you down, your give-a-crap meter will reset to zero and you will get some tight shorts. Shortly after that, you will feel every flap of your shirt is a wasted watt and you will start shopping for tight jerseys. Face it, if you are on a bike, 90% of Americans already think you're a dork. Might as well lean into it and be a fast dork. The pros aren't wearing skin suits to show off their spaghetti arms and ridiculous quads, they wear them because the enemy is wind and tight clothes are armor.
Old 09-04-19, 03:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by scotton
When you start going far enough and fast enough to realize that the two parachutes strapped to your thighs are slowing you down, your give-a-crap meter will reset to zero and you will get some tight shorts. Shortly after that, you will feel every flap of your shirt is a wasted watt and you will start shopping for tight jerseys. Face it, if you are on a bike, 90% of Americans already think you're a dork. Might as well lean into it and be a fast dork. The pros aren't wearing skin suits to show off their spaghetti arms and ridiculous quads, they wear them because the enemy is wind and tight clothes are armor.
Top level pros get paid a fair amount of money to wear stuff so people will say that pros wear stuff to make them faster.
Old 09-04-19, 04:39 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Top level pros get paid a fair amount of money to wear stuff so people will say that pros wear stuff to make them faster.
I wouldn't be surprised if " Top level pros" wore cycling clothing long before becoming a PRO and $$$ or any other currency did not factor into their choice of clothing.

I never had an issue putting on Padded Cycling Shorts since way back then there was much less padding bulge and was not overly endowed. Makes no difference now at all since my bilateral orchiectomy for PCa. (Prostate Cancer)
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 09-04-19, 04:56 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Wearing skin tight bike shorts is a sign you are comfortable in your own skin and masculinity. On the other hand, shaving legs, not so much.
Old 09-04-19, 05:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I wouldn't be surprised if " Top level pros" wore cycling clothing long before becoming a PRO and $$$ or any other currency did not factor into their choice of clothing.

I never had an issue putting on Padded Cycling Shorts since way back then there was much less padding bulge and was not overly endowed. Makes no difference now at all since my bilateral orchiectomy for PCa. (Prostate Cancer)
Please look at the post I was responding to. I'm entirely tired of the "pros wear this, so...." arguments because you really can't sort out real need versus sponsorship for why the product is being used. I'm doing all my long-distance riding in cargo shorts so I obviously don't care about whether people wear paddling or not, but "don't wear something over your shorts because pros wear skin suits" is a really dumb argument.
Old 09-04-19, 05:26 AM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
I’m not convinced that padded shorts are all that necessary for rides that aren’t very long. I have a pair that I bought for a century, and I’m definitely glad I had them. But I haven’t bothered to use them for rides in the 20-45 mile range. I haven’t had any issues, but then I’ve already begot my brood. If you’re just riding 5 miles, I’d just see how you felt without them.
Old 09-04-19, 05:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Mogens
I’m not convinced that padded shorts are all that necessary for rides that aren’t very long. I have a pair that I bought for a century, and I’m definitely glad I had them. But I haven’t bothered to use them for rides in the 20-45 mile range. I haven’t had any issues, but then I’ve already begot my brood. If you’re just riding 5 miles, I’d just see how you felt without them.
If nothing else, it's somewhat odd to spend more time changing in and out of kit than actually riding the 5 miles.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-04-19, 05:50 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Awaqa909
I've been cycling a couple times a month, about 5 miles....

Save your money, you can wear cut off blue-jean shorts and you'll be fine.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 09-04-19, 06:08 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
stuff a banana down there and walk with confidence
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 09-04-19, 06:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
On the other hand, shaving legs, not so much.
Says you. I shave my legs for practical reasons, not the least of which is that it feels better. And I take blood thinners, so I'll every advantage I can get in the event of an injury. When I had my valve replacement surgery they shaved everywhere below my head except for my arms, which is where all the tubes and wires were taped to. Not fun. Had I known I would have told them to finish the job. Finally, after a hard day of loaded touring on wet dirt with no shower at the end of day, it's nice to not have grit stuck to your leg hair. Makes cleaning up that much easier.
Old 09-04-19, 06:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Says you. I shave my legs for practical reasons, not the least of which is that it feels better. And I take blood thinners, so I'll every advantage I can get in the event of an injury. When I had my valve replacement surgery they shaved everywhere below my head except for my arms, which is where all the tubes and wires were taped to. Not fun. Had I known I would have told them to finish the job. Finally, after a hard day of loaded touring on wet dirt with no shower at the end of day, it's nice to not have grit stuck to your leg hair. Makes cleaning up that much easier.
Not that I care whether anyone shaves their legs, but I don't understand the blood thinner thing. I would think that would make it a less attractive option as you're going to bleed more when you nick yourself. Why would shaved legs be an advantage in the event of an injury?

Not arguing with you, just curious.
Old 09-04-19, 06:55 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Go with a mt bike short. padded underneath. Loose and breezy over short. And you can actually walk into a store or get coffee too.
Likes For Leebo:
Old 09-04-19, 07:01 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I have a number of padded Baleaf underwear shorts and a few other makes of underwear shorts. I also have two pairs of Nashbar MTB shorts, these were quite a bit more expensive and have thinner (proper) chamois. I am a little bit of a fanatic about washing my shorts after every ride so I like to have multiple pairs available.

Even for road riding the Nashbar MTB paints are hands down more comfortable and offer more protection. Still, when I use the Baleaf underwear I put something over them and have found that the almost knee length shorts make by Russell and sold at Walmart for $10.00 make a good pairing. The Russell shorts are a light synthetic material and are lose enough to mitigate the "diaper effect" caused by the padding in the shorts.

I have never like the looks of tight fitting multi panel spandex road cycling shorts. However I picked up a pair with padding similar to the Baleaf underwear. First time out I put a pair of Russell shorts over them. Although they are not "high end" shorts the extra length in the leg and tight fit are much more comfortable. I'm putting shorts over the cycling paints in an effort to slowly get used to the idea of wearing those kinds of shorts alone someday in the very near future. I will probably purchase at least 1 pair of good high quality road cycling spandex shorts very soon and not worry anymore about how they look. This line of reasoning would have been unthinkable to me even 6 months ago.

As far as other accessories, yes get a pair of tight fitting cycling jersey. You can get generic shirts off Amazon for about $15.00 After the first time you use these jerseys you will never want to ride in a cotton t-shirt again. Long in the back with elastic to keep them in place and pockets in the back to store things, you will love them

Also, get cycling shoes. You will need new pedals if you are going to use cleats and a clipless pedal system, which you should. Since I have both mountain and road bikes I decided on having a standard so I use mountain bike (SPD) two bolt systems. You can get a pair of shoes for about $50-60 and pedals start at about $45 Shimano 520s. I use two bolt SPD systems on both my road and mountain bikes. In short you certainly will appreciate having the shoes and pedals. It just takes some time to get used to them.

I tell my 25 year old daughter that things like helmets, special bike clothing, gloves, shorts, jerseys and skinny seats are popular with dedicated cyclists for a reason. She is starting to ride her bike more and is resisting getting any of this kind of stuff. This can be an expensive past time but it doesn't have to be beyond the reach of most of us just look around for bargains. Remember though, quality has a price and you will in time appreciate the comfort and utility of good quality cycling gear.

Last edited by Thomas15; 09-04-19 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-04-19, 07:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

OP--it looks like you are riding about 10 miles a month. Are you looking to increase that? I suspect most people's advice on kit would vary depending on how much you intend to ride.
Old 09-04-19, 07:14 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by scotton
This

I have a multitude of clothing I wear depending on which bicycle, length of ride , destination, stops, intensity etc...

it looks silly to be decked out in bibs, and a race cut jersey while riding my hybrid though. So I just don't, plus I don't really ride the hybrid hard enough to justify it anyways.

I have a pair of baggy mtb shorts that I will often wear over a worn out pair of bibs. They don't flap in the wind though. OR if I am going to ride and be stopped somewhere for a while, I just ditch the bike bibs/shorts

Most importantly, one day a person will realize that the pad isn't about padding, but about friction control. Outside of huge days on a bike, and with a saddle that fits you, decent sweat wicking clothing then you'll find that bike shorts are optional.

World of difference between riding at a cadence of 70 vs 90 or 15 mph vs 20+ mph

on my road race bike it is bibs and a race cut jersey, if people look at my crotch, that's on them...not me!
Old 09-04-19, 07:17 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Some people will go to any length to get a full Brazilian.

But I do know what you mean. I am the proud “wearer” of seven coronary stents. Every time one goes in, they shave me down there in order to go up the femoral artery. But the arms, oh no, they leave those hairs alone. When it is time to remove all those tubes they yank the tape and my arm hairs with them. OUCH!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.