Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1987 Vairo custom road bike. What's it worth guys?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 09-03-19, 10:22 AM
Gregfl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

hello , my last thread here involved a Duarte bike I found and bought in Medellin where I live part time. I'm back with a bike I just bought in Orlando. It's a 1987 Vaira Italian made bike. There is information online about this small Italian brand which was made by Mario Vaira in his shop Bicisport. it's a full campy build around a Columbus 55cm sl frame. I bought it from an older Italian man who brought it with him from Italy and apparently never used it and kept it in the house. There is zero wear on the original campy brake pads and it has the original hoods. I invite any and all commentsand appraisals.

Last edited by Gregfl; 09-04-19 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-03-19, 10:26 AM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Old 09-03-19, 10:35 AM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I can take more photos if anyone desires. Thanks.

Last edited by Gregfl; 09-03-19 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Ass photis
Old 09-04-19, 07:52 AM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Bump. You guys can't hurt my feelings. I know its an italian boutique brand, hence it won't have the collectible value of famous branded bikes. I have a bianchi with lessor groupset but I am pretty sure its worth more. This bike hasn't been cleaned up yet, its as I found it, and it will go into my stable of bikes. Anyone have any idea of value? If the columbus sl frame isnt valuable due to lack of famous name , how about the value of the super record groupset, wheels, etc in this condition along with a custom italian frame? Does the frame have value at all? does the bike itself have any value? I don't want to poison the well by saying what I paid for it, but I will do so once people tell me what they think its worth.
Old 09-04-19, 08:02 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
This bike is hard to value but I reckon any all campy bike with columbus tubing in good cosmetic shape is worth something in the neighborhood of $500. The parts on the bike put a floor on the price. I haven't kept up on eBay prices but I think a campy group like this, even with parts from different groups, is worth in the neighborhood of $400. In any case, I'd figure out what a campy group like this goes for on eBay and then add a value for the frame to get an idea of what the bike is worth.
Old 09-04-19, 08:56 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

Thanks very much for sharing this interesting mount!

One image which might assist the forum's expert detectives would be a view of the underside of the shell.

Crown is very nicely done.

Shall look forward to reading the observations of @MauriceMoss

---

Mods -

could you please assist to correct spelling in thread header

thank you

-----

Last edited by juvela; 09-04-19 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spellin'
Old 09-04-19, 09:50 AM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks, I found it interesting too, and I just saw my obvious spelling error. I will shoot a pic of the underside in a bit and post it.

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Thanks very much for sharing this interesting mount!

One image which might assist the forum's expert detectives would be a view of the underside of the shell.

Crown is very nicely done.

Shall look forward to reading the observations of @MauriceMoss

---

Mods -

could you please assist of correct spelling in thread header

thank you

-----

Old 09-04-19, 10:03 AM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
This bike is hard to value but I reckon any all campy bike with columbus tubing in good cosmetic shape is worth something in the neighborhood of $500. The parts on the bike put a floor on the price. I haven't kept up on eBay prices but I think a campy group like this, even with parts from different groups, is worth in the neighborhood of $400. In any case, I'd figure out what a campy group like this goes for on eBay and then add a value for the frame to get an idea of what the bike is worth.
Agree, the frame is the wild card, but regardless of value it's a really nice frame and build.T are a few rough examples online for sale, and I have a memory of seeing one for sale in South America, but beyond that I have no idea how to value the bike.
Old 09-04-19, 10:39 AM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Okay, attached is a photo of the underside and a few better pictures of some of the campagnolo parts and the frame/ lugs. it's stamped sl on the bottom

Last edited by Gregfl; 09-04-19 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-04-19, 11:00 AM
juvela

-----

Fine job with the photos!

That should help readers to give information.

Maurice will be able to tell us what the M stands for.

-----
Old 09-04-19, 11:18 AM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Fine job with the photos!

That should help readers to give information.

Maurice will be able to tell us what the M stands for.

-----
The m is for the proprietor of the shop, still in existence. His name is Mario Vaira and the shop website is here.

BICISPORT ? di Vaira Mario

The website doesn't make it obvious if they still make bikes, I kind of doubt it. They are located here

Bicisport of VAIRA Mario

Via Moffa di Lisio, 12
10064 Pinerolo (TO)
Phone: +39 0121 75 068

Last edited by Gregfl; 09-04-19 at 11:31 AM.
Likes For Gregfl:
Old 09-04-19, 12:54 PM
juvela

------

Thank you!

It would have helped if I had actually read the first message.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 09-04-19 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 09-04-19, 01:22 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,801 Posts
Cool find. Does it fit you?
Old 09-04-19, 02:07 PM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Cool find. Does it fit you?
Yes, my frame size is actually 57, but I find I enjoy a slightly smaller frame. 55 works good for me
Old 09-04-19, 02:10 PM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am also curious if this bike shop was buying this frame from a bigger bike builder and then building it up and private labeling it. The owner said he had his choice of components. It's a mystery to me.
Old 09-04-19, 03:52 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by Gregfl
I am also curious if this bike shop was buying this frame from a bigger bike builder and then building it up and private labeling it. The owner said he had his choice of components. It's a mystery to me.

-----

This is where Detective Chief Inspector Moss comes in!

"All shall be revealed."

BTW - in the closeup image of the shell there appears to be a spacer behind the fixed cup. is this correct?

-----

Last edited by juvela; 09-04-19 at 04:54 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-04-19, 07:30 PM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

BTW - in the closeup image of the shell there appears to be a spacer behind the fixed cup. is this correct?

-----
I honestly can't tell without tearing it down, but it's chrome on both sides.
Old 09-05-19, 07:03 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
I like the mix of older and newer '80s campy design. I did almost exactly the same with my '87 Falcon, and it runs sooo smoothe.

This one has Super Record derailleurs, record shifters, and a Gran Sport looking headset. The brakeset, crankset, and hubs appear to be Victory. The seatpost could be Chorus or Victory as well. I'd just assume the bb matches the crank, as those use a very short spindle for a double (109mm).

Last edited by SurferRosa; 09-05-19 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-05-19, 07:11 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Very sharp bike, and good photos. Looks like it would be a fun rider...

I'm not familiar with the marquee, but it wasn't uncommon for shops to use contract builders and house branding. A lot of those contract guys/shops were very talented. This looks like the lugs have seen some filing, which is a good sign, and hard work on IC lugs.

As far as value, unfortunately, an unknown brand mixed with predominantly lower end campy is probably going to equate to it being seen as a lower end Italian...at least it would if I were the one opening my wallet. I think this is a case where it's worth more as a frame. I'd GUESS...CL...300-400. It would be a good deal for the buyer, but I might be on the high end. I think shipping costs makes it a non-starter on ebay.
Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 09-05-19, 08:38 AM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Very sharp bike, and good photos. Looks like it would be a fun rider...

I'm not familiar with the marquee, but it wasn't uncommon for shops to use contract builders and house branding. A lot of those contract guys/shops were very talented. This looks like the lugs have seen some filing, which is a good sign, and hard work on IC lugs.

As far as value, unfortunately, an unknown brand mixed with predominantly lower end campy is probably going to equate to it being seen as a lower end Italian...at least it would if I were the one opening my wallet. I think this is a case where it's worth more as a frame. I'd GUESS...CL...300-400. It would be a good deal for the buyer, but I might be on the high end. I think shipping costs makes it a non-starter on ebay.
Thanks for your assessment and valuation and yes it's a great riding bike. I understand that super record was high end, and the victory wheels was lower end campy for the time. I really like the grey color of the victory rims and how smooth the ride is. . I bought the bike local for $400 and I am happy with the purchase. When I get the time I am going to remove the minor surface rust, strip it down for a comple clean, replace the colombus stickers and clear coat it.

I still would love the experts assessment of the Italian frame, that would make my day.
Old 09-05-19, 09:00 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregfl
Thanks for your assessment and valuation and yes it's a great riding bike. I understand that super record was high end, and the victory wheels was lower end campy for the time. I really like the grey color of the victory rims and how smooth the ride is. . I bought the bike local for $400 and I am happy with the purchase. When I get the time I am going to remove the minor surface rust, strip it down for a comple clean, replace the colombus stickers and clear coat it.

I still would love the experts assessment of the Italian frame, that would make my day.
I'd guess it's around 250 as a frame? Depending on marketing? The more you research/learn, the more it's worth. It's the type of bike that's a better deal for buyers than sellers I suspect.

I think it shows every sign of having been made by a quality builder...the BB shell, the lugs...I don't know who made it, but I think it was quality. Reminds me a bit of Picchio's work.
Old 09-05-19, 01:05 PM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It came with the original campy pedals btw, they are unused and ready to go back on
Old 09-06-19, 11:27 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Looks to be a shop labelled, Campy Victory based bike with swapped in SR front and rear derailleurs. $400 sounds about right depending on sparkling cleaned up condition, and location. Are you refering to Victory pedals, with toe clips? If those are truely unused, they are a definite plus.
Don't mount them. Sell them, as the bike is not NOS. Take the dough, buy a less foolishly priced set of pedals and drop your bike cost by a hundred bucks +
At $300 that's a deal worth riding!

Cheers, Eric
Old 09-06-19, 05:43 PM
Gregfl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Looks to be a shop labelled, Campy Victory based bike with swapped in SR front and rear derailleurs. $400 sounds about right depending on sparkling cleaned up condition, and location. Are you refering to Victory pedals, with toe clips? If those are truely unused, they are a definite plus.
Don't mount them. Sell them, as the bike is not NOS. Take the dough, buy a less foolishly priced set of pedals and drop your bike cost by a hundred bucks +
At $300 that's a deal worth riding!

Cheers, Eric
Thanks and yes they are unused victory pedals with toe clips
Old 10-31-21, 10:30 AM
Pacoski79

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,
just wondering if you still have the Vaira bike and if you are interested on selling it ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.