Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Rossin

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-19, 01:15 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood; Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Rossin

Does anyone have any info on Rossins and whether the below bike would be a good deal at $700?
Thanks in advance for any advice you may provide!

[img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/968ebe96-a5f7-4837-b1a0-9f98916b70ce[/img]
Old 09-09-19, 04:30 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,957 Posts
Pictures would help...or at least a description of tubing and components. Love my Rossin Professional EL (OS)...
Old 09-09-19, 04:32 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
link isn't working.
Old 09-09-19, 05:29 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by Last ride 76
link isn't working.
Sorry, Let me try again:https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/b...969856019.html
Old 09-09-19, 06:37 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I'd rather have the 3Rensho you inquired about for fifty bucks more.
Old 09-09-19, 06:40 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
You seem to be bombarding this forum with "what about this Craigslist bike?" posts. Tell us exactly what you're looking for (beside "vintage")
Old 09-09-19, 07:34 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer
You seem to be bombarding this forum with "what about this Craigslist bike?" posts. Tell us exactly what you're looking for (beside "vintage")
Sorry. Bombarding. Ok. I get it. My bad!

OK I’m looking for a vintage steel bike.
Why? I’m on a budget and really like the historical aspect of vintage bikes. Plus I like they way they ride!

My buddy gave me an all aluminum Trek 1200 road bike. Claris brifters (which actually shift very well), Mavic rims, very fast bike. 19lbs. Beautiful too.
However, its too small for me.

On the one hand, I’d like to find a great value. On the other hand, where I live, prices are kind of pricey.
Also, my willpower is weakening - there are lots of very nice, very expensive bikes here. Suddenly, I’m thinking “you know, maybe I deserve to treat myself, a midlife Corvette would cost a lot more”.
lol 😂 I suppose I’d like something really nice. I was looking at Lemonds, I like the brifters, Reynolds, etc. However, when last week I upped the “max price” criteria on Craigslist, I came across a bunch of bikes I know nothing about, Hence, the bombardment. Everything sells so fast around here I figured I’d ask you all. Thanks very much for your patience. I’ll take a chill pill now!
Old 09-09-19, 07:46 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Mdl
On the one hand, I’d like to find a great value. On the other hand, where I live, prices are kind of pricey.
Also, my willpower is weakening - there are lots of very nice, very expensive bikes here. Suddenly, I’m thinking “you know, maybe I deserve to treat myself, a midlife Corvette would cost a lot more”.
lol �� I suppose I’d like something really nice. I was looking at Lemonds, I like the brifters, Reynolds, etc. However, when last week I upped the “max price” criteria on Craigslist, I came across a bunch of bikes I know nothing about, Hence, the bombardment. Everything sells so fast around here I figured I’d ask you all. Thanks very much for your patience. I’ll take a chill pill now!
I have not read all the words in all of your threads. There is no magic formula for gaining instant knowledge about vintage bikes from a bike forum. It's like school. You go and learn, it takes time. Then you learn some more. You have to ride many bikes, some stinkers to find what YOU like. Years ago I figured I just needed a frame made with SLX tubing and then I would be done. HA. I did own one for a while. A Bianchi and it was very nice but not magic.

Good luck with your searching and learning. Word of advice. OS tubing. The Rensho is nice and exotic. I had one. The handling was too twitchy. The Rossin has Genius differential shaped tubing. I have a Tommasini Tecno Xtra with that tubing. It's amazing. YMMV and my 2¢ worth.

Last edited by tmh657; 09-09-19 at 07:50 PM.
Likes For tmh657:
Old 09-09-19, 08:49 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Hi Eric,

I purchased the Lotus Sprint bike you listed here on 8/29 but I haven't received it yet.
Tracking you provided shows it hasn't been picked up by UPS.
I've been emailing you but no response. Please reply so I know what's going on
Old 09-09-19, 08:55 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by tmh657
I have not read all the words in all of your threads. There is no magic formula for gaining instant knowledge about vintage bikes from a bike forum. It's like school. You go and learn, it takes time. Then you learn some more. You have to ride many bikes, some stinkers to find what YOU like. Years ago I figured I just needed a frame made with SLX tubing and then I would be done. HA. I did own one for a while. A Bianchi and it was very nice but not magic.

Good luck with your searching and learning. Word of advice. OS tubing. The Rensho is nice and exotic. I had one. The handling was too twitchy. The Rossin has Genius differential shaped tubing. I have a Tommasini Tecno Xtra with that tubing. It's amazing. YMMV and my 2¢ worth.
Tmh657: Brilliant. You hit the nail on the head! I realize that what you said is right - Instead of asking you what I’d like I have to go find that out for myself.

A year ago, I didn’t know what an aluminum bike felt like. Now I know. I also now know I like brifters. Check.
I test rode a Yokota Tange 2 tubing bike today. Not in the same league as the Rossins and Renshos. But now I know I like steel! Check. So I now get what you’re saying.
Thank you!
Old 09-09-19, 09:09 PM
Last ride 76 

one steel bike to rule them all...

Originally Posted by Mdl
Sorry. Bombarding. Ok. I get it. My bad!

OK I’m looking for a vintage steel bike.
Why? I’m on a budget and really like the historical aspect of vintage bikes. Plus I like they way they ride!

My buddy gave me an all aluminum Trek 1200 road bike. Claris brifters (which actually shift very well), Mavic rims, very fast bike. 19lbs. Beautiful too.
However, its too small for me.

lol 😂 I suppose I’d like something really nice. I was looking at Lemonds, I like the brifters, Reynolds, etc. However, when last week I upped the “max price” criteria on Craigslist, I came across a bunch of bikes I know nothing about, Hence, the bombardment. Everything sells so fast around here I figured I’d ask you all. Thanks very much for your patience. I’ll take a chill pill now!
That's a great Rossin. Been up about a week, IIRC. Worth $700? Hard to say, depends on actual condition paint quality, blah, blah, blah. Could it be? Yes, I think so. Now, about getting a steel frame bike to be a daily rider... You mentioned LeMonds. At $500-$550 for an 853 Maillot Jaune/Zurich, you won't do any better. I know, I have one, along with a dozen "classic" steel era frames. A LeMond does not carry the cachet of the Rossin et al. I think the damage done to his brand and name, caused by the schmuck from texas, and Trek's subsequent behavior, lingers on, and probably always will, given the stupidity of the human race. All the more reason to take advantage of the mispricing... Ride one and see. Spending a couple hundred more for the Rossin, not a bad thing, lots of worse ways to spend your money.
Old 09-09-19, 09:16 PM
Mdl
Montedino

That's a great Rossin. Been up about a week, IIRC. Worth $700? Hard to say, depends on actual condition paint quality, blah, blah, blah. Could it be? Yes, I think so. Now, about getting a steel frame bike to be a daily rider... You mentioned LeMonds. At $500-$550 for an 853 Maillot Jaune/Zurich, you won't do any better. I know, I have one, along with a dozen "classic" steel era frames. A LeMond does not carry the cachet of the Rossin et al. I think the damage done to his brand and name, caused by the schmuck from texas, and Trek's subsequent behavior, lingers on, and probably always will, given the stupidity of the human race. All the more reason to take advantage of the mispricing... Ride one and see. Spending a couple hundred more for the Rossin, not a bad thing, lots of worse ways to spend your money.
Last ride,
Thanks. Yes I’ll contact the seller and see if I can check out the 2 bIkes (Rossin and Rensho). They both look nice. I’m curious to know when the Rossin was made. I read they went out of business in the 80s and came back awhile. Would anyone have any information?

Thanks!
Old 09-09-19, 09:30 PM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by Mdl
Last ride,
Thanks. Yes I’ll contact the seller and see if I can check out the 2 bIkes (Rossin and Rensho). They both look nice. I’m curious to know when the Rossin was made. I read they went out of business in the 80s and came back awhile. Would anyone have any information?

Thanks!
Rensho? that's the one "built by", correct? I know zip-all about 3Renshos except those where the bikes used his own lugs, those are seriously spectacular bikes. Just make sure it would be of his hand or under his supervision, and not, "he was in the building discussing a possible collaboration at the time". As far as Rossin, I though he remained active through to the end years of steel in the pro peleton, but not something I would bet the farm on.

edit: Sorry different bike, that one looks sweet, but concur that the name in itself raises the price.

Last edited by Last ride 76; 09-10-19 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-09-19, 11:08 PM
Ninetimes

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Rossin is a direct off shoot from Colnago. This is one of those great Italian bike stories..... Rossin originally worked at Colnago, and was one of his top frame builders. Actually he was considered a genius by many. During a dispute with Colnago and a team that used Colnago bikes, the teams Patron got very sideways with Colnago over some up and coming rider. This little affair blew up, and the Patron decided he was to have his own bike company, and stole Rossin from Colnago and started up Rossin Bikes. If you look closely at the early Rossin’s, there’s definitely a similarity in the lug work of the Rossin's as to the Colnago's of that period. The Rossin definitely has a serious blood line and is typically overlooked.

Old 09-10-19, 03:33 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by Ninetimes
Rossin is a direct off shoot from Colnago. This is one of those great Italian bike stories..... Rossin originally worked at Colnago, and was one of his top frame builders. Actually he was considered a genius by many. During a dispute with Colnago and a team that used Colnago bikes, the teams Patron got very sideways with Colnago over some up and coming rider. This little affair blew up, and the Patron decided he was to have his own bike company, and stole Rossin from Colnago and started up Rossin Bikes. If you look closely at the early Rossin’s, there’s definitely a similarity in the lug work of the Rossin's as to the Colnago's of that period. The Rossin definitely has a serious blood line and is typically overlooked.

Wow, those are 2 very cool bikes you have there, Ninetimes. Thanks for the history, I enjoyed it. I’m pasting a picture below of the bike I’m interested in:[img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/a25bc8a7-31f9-433c-89bb-9662b7471fb4[img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/f0d89e8b-e4fb-482d-ba68-306e28569b46[/img]

Last edited by Mdl; 09-10-19 at 03:38 AM.
Old 09-10-19, 03:39 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Rossin Professional with Genius tubes (probably 94, 95 maybe?), Record titanium components...hmm. $700, it's a solid deal.

Like I said, love my Rossin EL-OS.
Old 09-10-19, 07:02 AM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by Biketiger
Hi Eric,

I purchased the Lotus Sprint bike you listed here on 8/29 but I haven't received it yet.
Tracking you provided shows it hasn't been picked up by UPS.
I've been emailing you but no response. Please reply so I know what's going on
That makes no sense. Will bring the tag to UPS Store, where it was logged in at 4PM Thursday, and get an explanation. It was picked up. Tracking shows as having been recieved by my local UPS store at 4pm, and then received into and shipped out of Saddlebrook, NJ on 9/5.
So it got from the Northvale UPS store, to Saddlebrook, before they lost track of it... Emails sent, Bikeflights is tracing...
Thread returned to it's normal purpose and content.

Last edited by Last ride 76; 09-10-19 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-10-19, 08:12 AM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by Mdl
Wow, those are 2 very cool bikes you have there, Ninetimes. Thanks for the history, I enjoyed it. I’m pasting a picture below of the bike I’m interested in:[img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/a25bc8a7-...b-9662b7471fb4[img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/f0d89e8b-...8-306e28569b46
Hardly overlooked, you could buy one cheap, like dirt cheap (frames at basic "no name" columbus/531 prices) a few years ago. Recently they seem priced same as the strong Italian names. Dammit!
Old 09-11-19, 06:43 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Hardly overlooked, you could buy one cheap, like dirt cheap (frames at basic "no name" columbus/531 prices) a few years ago. Recently they seem priced same as the strong Italian names. Dammit!

Old 09-12-19, 04:45 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Interesting that it has a Veloce crankset
Old 09-12-19, 09:28 PM
Ninetimes

I wouldn’t waste any more time on the Rossin you posted above. It’s got a mish mash of parts someone slapped on it. You could drop $500 trying to clean it up, and it’d still be a mess.

Go find the one below on ebay. It’s been there for 6-7 months and asking 1150. Owned by a bike shop. 10 Speed Centaur, respectable, with Mavic Open Pros. Chrome fork, chain stay and the good dropouts. You never stated what size you need. This one states size 59cm. I’d want to know the top tube measurement. I'd speculate the bike shop could swap the seat post, stem and bar to something more vintage looking if wanted.

Old 09-17-19, 10:28 AM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked 3,084 Times in 911 Posts
I respectfully disagree with the previous post. It’s been on eBay for several months because it’s priced too high. The components on it are more modern, but also mismatched. There aren’t any single pictures of the fork but I think it might not be original. It has a threadless stem, so either the fork definitely isn’t original or an adapter is used. No mention if the rear Has been reset to 130 mm or they just crammed the modern group in there (that’s also a question for the seller of the other Rossin, although that one was likely built as 130 spaced). It’s also advertised as a Ghibli but it’s not, probably a Record. I’m gonna guess they gave a customer a $50 store credit on the frame and hung extra shop parts, including mismatched hubs, on it.

The one OP posted however, at $700 (CL listing gone) I think is a fair deal, but wouldn’t pay $950 for it. In general I prefer fully lugged over combo lugged/TIG like this one but I think it looks great. Stem is ugly, parts all match except for the Veloce cranks. Can’t tell if hubs are good or not.
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, ‘89 Cinelli Supercorsa, ‘83 Bianchi Specialissima, ‘VO Randonneur, Ritchey Breakaway Steel, '84 Paletti Super Prestige, Heron Randonneur

Old 09-17-19, 01:11 PM
Ninetimes

Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
I respectfully disagree with the previous post. It’s been on eBay for several months because it’s priced too high. The components on it are more modern, but also mismatched. There aren’t any single pictures of the fork but I think it might not be original. It has a threadless stem, so either the fork definitely isn’t original or an adapter is used. No mention if the rear Has been reset to 130 mm or they just crammed the modern group in there (that’s also a question for the seller of the other Rossin, although that one was likely built as 130 spaced). It’s also advertised as a Ghibli but it’s not, probably a Record. I’m gonna guess they gave a customer a $50 store credit on the frame and hung extra shop parts, including mismatched hubs, on it.

The one OP posted however, at $700 (CL listing gone) I think is a fair deal, but wouldn’t pay $950 for it. In general I prefer fully lugged over combo lugged/TIG like this one but I think it looks great. Stem is ugly, parts all match except for the Veloce cranks. Can’t tell if hubs are good or not.
Thanks for the additional comments. We all have our opinions. First, the OP Rossin posted is now over at ebay for $ 1000 right next to the Red Rossin I posted. So what gives there? As to the OP’s, the paint at the BB is looking to have corrosion setting in and the overall paint condition is not good. In fact the overall condition with everything in the OP’s bike is not good, as it was not well cared for. The last time I had a quality paint job quoted; it was in the $1200 range, so paint quality goes to the top of the list real fast. As to the Red Rossin, paint is in great shape and well ahead of the OP’s. And to address the missing Record crank on the OP’s, NOS Record 10 Speed cranks are going for 300-400 with BB these days. I buy them constantly and know the pricing for the Record and Chorus parts across the board. It’s all expensive these days. You could find a scuffed and scratched set for $150, so be it, and still need a fresh BB.

Let me add, the tube set for the OP Rossin is Columbus Genius, made of Nivacrom steel and launched in 1991, it has larger diameter tubing and thinner walls. So you’ve got these big tubes and it no longer looks like a vintage bike. And “No Lugs” with the exception of the BB. The OP Rossin is a much newer bike and Marco Rossin has probably already left the building.

The Red Rossin I posted is an SL tube set from the 1980’s and originally came with Super Record. That SL tube set is just a great ride, as it soaks up all of the road and you can ride hour after hour and still feel great. I think you've got a couple of those in that big long list of bikes you own.

At $1000 each for either Rossin, I’ll take the 1980's Red Rossin SL Record all day long. Enjoy..

Last edited by Ninetimes; 09-17-19 at 03:05 PM. Reason: ...
Old 09-17-19, 03:02 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

If you don't mind building one up...great little deals here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ROS...EAAOSwvSRdcjpQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ros...oAAOSwE5hdgQ9f

Or a classic Ciocc
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980s-Ciocc...QAAOSwl-NdXZSb

Or this fun little one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Racing-bike...IAAOSw4DJdSLBc
Old 09-17-19, 06:31 PM
Ninetimes

Here's a good start with a Super Record group-set. By no means perfect, but heck, there's even the skewers with the hubs. Do some pricing for some good vintage campy skewers by themselves on the bay. You'll be shocked.. Then the levers and brakes... Take a little polish here and there and good to go...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-...7127%7Ciid%3A1

......2 days after the post above, the vintage Super Record complete group-set was sold for its asking price of $600. Some smart buyer walked away with a bit of gold.

Last edited by Ninetimes; 09-19-19 at 11:02 AM.