Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXV

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXV

Old 09-14-19, 09:07 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13640 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex
Sorry, as long as there’s free mechanical advice, is there a sure way of guaranteed alignment, or “eyeball and experience” is the name of the game?

Obviously, I’m asking for a friend.
We have a laser tool at the shop. I eyeball it at home, since the Tune is kind of pricey.

Old 09-15-19, 05:27 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
If I put the righty on the down tube and the lefty on the seat tube they both load to the right. That was my thought process. Plus they're sexy.
I knew there had to be something like that, but I have left-right confusion and couldn’t picture it. Ride safe, happy, and long on the new bike!
Old 09-15-19, 05:33 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
We have a laser tool at the shop. I eyeball it at home, since the Tune is kind of pricey.
I almost always have to ride the bike to feel the last couple of error ° and then adjust them out from memory.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-15-19, 06:55 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Ha! Being really bad with acronyms, didn’t know it had any other meaning(s).

on an unrelated note; I’m rally digging the Rapha core jacket you’re sporting. How do you find their sizing to be? Can I trust their sizing chart? The store near me doesn’t have them in stock, and I don’t want to buy two and having to ship one back since they don’t accept store returns of online purchases.

I did did try a brevet vest in the store, and even though the chart puts me at xl, I tried an L at the salesperson’s insistence and it fit better than the xl I tried afterwards, so I’m not sure how the sizing chart compares/relates to core jacket as well.
Their sizing chart has been spot-on for me, but only after I took the time to stop making assumptions about my dimensions; the last time that I was measured for a suit, it was a 44, but the tape measure puts me at 41 now, which is what they specify for L. Overall dimensions are: 5'11" with long-ish arm/torso proportions, ~185lbs.

The L jacket fits slim but not restricting; still room for belly-breathing, but I wouldn't want to put more than two thin layers under it. Sleeve and back length are great, despite my slightly skewed proportions. Really impressed with the shoulder articulation on-bike. The L brevet base layer (that I received in error and was allowed to keep) fits like a second skin - some compression but not constriction.

Same story with the two casual pieces, both merino sweaters (one polo, one crew). I think that the goal posts are a little different between on- and off-bike, and the same size should reflect that; the L sweaters are a slim fit that's appropriate for casual wear without veering in to form-fitting lunkhead territory.

Oh, and on returns, I'll reiterate - very easy for someone that doesn't like to be bothered with that kind of ****. The bag that they arrive in has an additional adhesive closure strip so that you can re-use it for returns (so take a little care when opening). The return shipping is already paid and the label is included with the packing list. You do have to fill out and print a return invoice, but if you have access to printer, it's a 30-second process. Then you just need to wander past a FedEx drop-off location.
Old 09-15-19, 07:04 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Sorry, as long as there’s free mechanical advice, is there a sure way of guaranteed alignment, or “eyeball and experience” is the name of the game?

Obviously, I’m asking for a friend.
What works best for me is putting a yard stick across the dropouts. Might have to take the wheel off. Then I eyeball from the handlebars down to the yardstick.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 09-15-19, 08:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Time to hose off the filthy bike.
Old 09-15-19, 08:35 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,484 Times in 3,413 Posts
More snacks from bike shop customers.

Brilliant. Why didn’t I think of that, re-gifting stuff I don’t want.
Old 09-15-19, 08:43 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Finishing up our western trip with wine tasting in Napa and Sonoma. More information when I come up for air.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-15-19, 08:44 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
ooooh! Nice tool! Gives me an idea for a hack with a laser pointer. Thanks for the picture!

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
What works best for me is putting a yard stick across the dropouts. Might have to take the wheel off. Then I eyeball from the handlebars down to the yardstick.
Thanks! Not a bad idea and much easier than tinkering to get a laser pointer holder. I’ll still tinker with some 1 by dimensioned lumber and a laser pointer to do a diy tune tool, but @MoAlpha’s modification to the dowel will definitely work faster.
Old 09-15-19, 08:46 AM
kissTheApex

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Their sizing chart has been spot-on for me, but only after I took the time to stop making assumptions about my dimensions; the last time that I was measured for a suit, it was a 44, but the tape measure puts me at 41 now, which is what they specify for L. Overall dimensions are: 5'11" with long-ish arm/torso proportions, ~185lbs.

The L jacket fits slim but not restricting; still room for belly-breathing, but I wouldn't want to put more than two thin layers under it. Sleeve and back length are great, despite my slightly skewed proportions. Really impressed with the shoulder articulation on-bike. The L brevet base layer (that I received in error and was allowed to keep) fits like a second skin - some compression but not constriction.

Same story with the two casual pieces, both merino sweaters (one polo, one crew). I think that the goal posts are a little different between on- and off-bike, and the same size should reflect that; the L sweaters are a slim fit that's appropriate for casual wear without veering in to form-fitting lunkhead territory.

Oh, and on returns, I'll reiterate - very easy for someone that doesn't like to be bothered with that kind of ****. The bag that they arrive in has an additional adhesive closure strip so that you can re-use it for returns (so take a little care when opening). The return shipping is already paid and the label is included with the packing list. You do have to fill out and print a return invoice, but if you have access to printer, it's a 30-second process. Then you just need to wander past a FedEx drop-off location.
Thanks! I measured myself, yesterday so I think I’m set .

Good to to know about the returns too.
Old 09-15-19, 09:37 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
ooooh! Nice tool! Gives me an idea for a hack with a laser pointer. Thanks for the picture!

Thanks! Not a bad idea and much easier than tinkering to get a laser pointer holder. I’ll still tinker with some 1 by dimensioned lumber and a laser pointer to do a diy tune tool, but @MoAlpha’s modification to the dowel will definitely work faster.
I was really intrigued by the Tune laser pointer. I'm super OCD about my stem alignment. Looked it up, and found a not quite glowing review. In the comments below was a great idea from Carl Sechrist. Scroll down to see his photo to understand.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/11/tune...t-tool-review/
Old 09-15-19, 09:44 AM
BillyD
Administrator

@DougRNS Happy New Bike Day!

Old 09-15-19, 09:45 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
We had a good Sunday ride. It’s supposedly a “recovery” ride but really not. Still, a fun one and I am grateful for a 2 ride weekend.
Old 09-15-19, 09:48 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Oh, and be sure the stem is aligned with the front wheel. Otherwise, you'll end up riding in circles.
Unless you're riding through a cross wind.
Old 09-15-19, 09:53 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Finishing up our western trip with wine tasting in Napa and Sonoma. More information when the hangover subsides.
Fixed.
Old 09-15-19, 09:54 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Thanks! I measured myself, yesterday so I think I’m set .
Family forum, buster.
Old 09-15-19, 10:03 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8723 Post(s)
Liked 2,855 Times in 1,674 Posts
Regarding the stem height on the bike, I am going to wait until my saddle is leveled and the bars are also level to the ground before doing anything. I think I detect two ~ quarter inch spacers I can remove. The difference between the old bike and new bike drop is about an inch and a half. I am going to be cautious and ride it for a while and make small changes. Anything else wouldn't be prudent - not gonna do it.
RIP 41

Assuming the bars are straight to begin with, couldn't it be marked and then line up to the mark after reinstalling? I do this for my saddle. maybe not so easy for the bars.

#LookWhatIGotMyselfInto
Old 09-15-19, 10:27 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,634 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Regarding the stem height on the bike, I am going to wait until my saddle is leveled and the bars are also level to the ground before doing anything. I think I detect two ~ quarter inch spacers I can remove. The difference between the old bike and new bike drop is about an inch and a half. I am going to be cautious and ride it for a while and make small changes. Anything else wouldn't be prudent - not gonna do it.
RIP 41

Assuming the bars are straight to begin with, couldn't it be marked and then line up to the mark after reinstalling? I do this for my saddle. maybe not so easy for the bars.

#LookWhatIGotMyselfInto
Prudent is good.

What would you mark? Set preload by the top cap, sight the stem as you would any bike, be it your old Stingray, or your new Superbike, torque the stem to spec, and have a good time.
Old 09-15-19, 10:57 AM
kissTheApex

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
I was really intrigued by the Tune laser pointer. I'm super OCD about my stem alignment. Looked it up, and found a not quite glowing review. In the comments below was a great idea from Carl Sechrist. Scroll down to see his photo to understand.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/11/tune...t-tool-review/
Originally Posted by BillyD
Family forum, buster.

dully noted sir!
Old 09-15-19, 11:09 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Hey @indyfabz the old Performance Bike shop in Paoli is now Keswick Cycles. Any intel based on their Philly shop?
Old 09-15-19, 11:56 AM
BillyD
Administrator

dully noted sir!
lol
Likes For BillyD:
Old 09-15-19, 12:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Hey @indyfabz the old Performance Bike shop in Paoli is now Keswick Cycles. Any intel based on their Philly shop?
My ex used to like their shop in NJ. Never used them myself.
Old 09-15-19, 12:08 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
I run a side loader on the down tube and a standard on the seat tube. Tried a side loader on the seat tube, didn't like it. Gave it to a lefty friend.
Old 09-15-19, 03:03 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Lasers? No one has ever heard of a plumb bob? SMH

Seriously, I put the bike in an old trainer and use a carpenters level against the wheels to make sure they are perpendicular to the floor. It's fairly easy to then drop a plumb bob from the stem to the tire and eyeball everything.

Or, just do like most people and take a hex wrench in your pocket for a couple rides and make adjustments till you're happy.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 09-15-19 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-15-19, 03:09 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8723 Post(s)
Liked 2,855 Times in 1,674 Posts
First ride impression:
Rides smoother, not sure why. Slightly longer wheelbase, improvements to aluminum and crabon fork technology?

Seemed a little twitchy at first when pedaling out of the saddle but by the end of the ride my brain acclimated and seemed ok. Feels like I am riding a horse now instead of a pony. When I am on the tops it feels much more upright. It will take a while to get used to the compact bars. It seems like when I am on the drops it is about the equivalent of riding on the hoods on the old bike.

Bottom line is the lower half feels dead on but the upper body needs work. I think I am stretched out enough but might need to lower the bars by taking out spacers. (slam the stem!) The saddle is now level as are the bars. Probably the only thing left to do is lower the bars.

Here is the bike with all my accessories on it and after adjustments made.

tl;dr
Smooth ride, need work on upper body comfort.
Likes For DougRNS:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.