Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-19, 06:13 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by Malcolm
Hi there Bianchi experts, just trying to identify my old bianchi SX sports. It's light green in colour, the serial number is JB 870362, it has a Marco Polo white and gold trim on the seat, the diameter of the wheels is 700mm. Can anyone help with year of manufacture and l am looking to sell it as been in my loft unused for a couple of years. Where would be the best place to sell it, and find a price guide.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond..
Mal Otto
Ps if you need any more info please let me know.
Hello and welcome to the forums. A Celeste Sport SX would be either a '88 or '89. They look very similar but have different frames and components. Tell us more about yours. What brand and model are the components? What is the frame material? Yeah I know it is steel but what does the tubing sticker say?

Does it look like this? (PICTURE FROM THE INTERNET, THIS IS NOT THE POSTER'S BIKE)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-21-19, 06:33 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Desi72
I actually contacted Bianchi via fb messenger about serial number identification because of a Bianchi bike I am trying to identify and they responded..

" Serial Number does not signify anything, it's for the Bicycle Dealer to register in case of theft. "

I'd post an image of my message but I don't have enough posts to upload images yet, once I do I'll share the conversation.
This is the typical response from companies that don't care about the consumer and are trying to brush you off. They are too lazy to look things up, have lost the records or don't know the serial number format. I have yet to encounter serial numbers that do not have some form of intelligence built into into them to provide traceability. While they aid in identifying stolen product, they are primarily a manufacturing tool to track quality issues and validate warranty claims.
Old 08-21-19, 06:49 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Malcolmotto
Hi there Bianchi experts, just trying to identify my old bianchi SX sports. It's light green in colour, the serial number is JB 870362, it has a Marco Polo white and gold trim on the seat, the diameter of the wheels is 700mm. Can anyone help with year of manufacture and l am looking to sell it as been in my loft unused for a couple of years. Where would be the best place to sell it, and find a price guide.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond..
Mal Otto
Ps if you need any more info please let me know.
The serial number does not match that of any known (to me) Bianchi source. However, it is similar to Bianchi's 1980s Japanese source, with the exception of the 2nd character. If this character has been misread, it could be a 1989 model manufactured in very late 1988. This can corrobrated by the presence of triangles incorporated into the Bianchi logo (as shown in the photo posted by Binchigirll), the use of Ishiwata tubing and the presence of Shimano Exage Sport LX components.
Old 08-21-19, 07:11 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by calxes9
Hi folks, I'm kinda new to this and hope I'm posting correctly. I'm asking about my Bianchi 61cm pearl white frame (w/o fork) sold to me new-in-box as a “1994 Reparto Corse” by the Frans Fietsen shop, Tilburg Netherlands in 2007:

Serial number is A442. Columbus EL tubing, chrome stays, unbranded near-vertical dropouts, internal rear brake cable, internal rear derailleur cable, half-chrome front derailleur hanger, cast engraved Bianchi BB shell with reinforcing tangs and raised “B”s on both sides, “B” engraved in head tube/down tube lug, “Bianchi” engraved in brake bridge, no pump peg on head tube, race number tab brazed underneath top tube near front. No Reparto Corse decal, no World Championship decal (they were included in the box).

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to post photos yet. Does the SN signify anything? Maybe 1994 and Reparto Corse are correct? I haven't seen the pearl white often, is it unusual? Thanks!
There's no doubt that it is a legitimate Bianchi frame that was manufactured in 1994. The one thing that is curious, is that it lacks the Campione del Mondo sticker typically found on 1994 models and located on the top of the down tube, between the head lug and shift lever bosses. I don't known is this represents a possible repaint or not, as I'm not as familiar with the European models.
Old 08-21-19, 10:54 AM
iamacat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looked at this one on Craigslist: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...959499578.html

Wondering if anyone has any info on this model? What about sizing? Is Sheldon Brown's Volpe page (https://www.sheldonbrown.com/volpe.html) accurate for this model?

The seller claims 60cm but I don't see any markings. Feels a bit smaller but could just be the adjustment.

BB serial H1M0017709

Also, anyone know what kind of steel this is? Are there any catalog scans?
Old 08-21-19, 12:19 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by iamacat
Looked at this one on Craigslist: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...959499578.html

Wondering if anyone has any info on this model? What about sizing? Is Sheldon Brown's Volpe page (https://www.sheldonbrown.com/volpe.html) accurate for this model?

The seller claims 60cm but I don't see any markings. Feels a bit smaller but could just be the adjustment.

BB serial H1M0017709

Also, anyone know what kind of steel this is? Are there any catalog scans?
The serial number indicates the frame was manufactured in late 1991 by Hodaka of Taiwan, while the decals and SunTour FSE crankset are consistent with a 1992 model. The Deore derailleurs are obvious replacement. The tubeset is Tange Infinity, a seamed, double butted, tubeset using chromium-molybdenum alloy. Volpe frames were measured to the top of the seat tube, which may partially account for the sizing discrepancy.
Old 08-21-19, 12:26 PM
iamacat

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The serial number indicates the frame was manufactured in late 1991 by Hodaka of Taiwan, while the decals and SunTour FSE crankset are consistent with a 1992 model. The Deore derailleurs are obvious replacement. The tubeset is Tange Infinity, a seamed, double butted, tubeset using chromium-molybdenum alloy. Volpe frames were measured to the top of the seat tube, which may partially account for the sizing discrepancy.
Awesome! Thank you so much. Where did you get that info if you don't mind me asking?

So measure from the middle of the BB to the top of the seat tube? Are the measurements on Brown's page within reason for this frame?
Old 08-21-19, 05:29 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Great Colors.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-22-19, 04:23 PM
calxes9

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's no doubt that it is a legitimate Bianchi frame that was manufactured in 1994. The one thing that is curious, is that it lacks the Campione del Mondo sticker typically found on 1994 models and located on the top of the down tube, between the head lug and shift lever bosses. I don't known is this represents a possible repaint or not, as I'm not as familiar with the European models.
Thanks T-Mar, and thanks Bianchigirll for posting pics of my s/n A442 Bianchi EL pearl white frame purchased in 2007 (see 6 posts above on 8/20/2019). I went looking elsewhere for mentions of similar frames and found this thread from 2010 in which the owner shows pics of an identical pearl white w/red EL frame. The initial post title is "Bianchi EL- looking for some insight/info" by Rupert on 6/1/2010 (I'm not allowed to send URLs yet)

Rupert's EL was apparently sold w/o fork as was mine, hence his Ritchey fork. Way back then Bianchigirll said his was the first Bianchi frame she'd seen with a number tab brazed under the top tube, mine also has one. T-Mar says re. my frame it's curious that there's no Campione del Mondo sticker typically found on 1994 models - it doesn't appear that Rupert's frame has such a sticker either. It's great to have found a twin and wonder where these two frames fit into the Bianchi cosmos. I'd never part with mine, just want to know more about it.
Old 08-23-19, 05:43 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by calxes9
...It's great to have found a twin and wonder where these two frames fit into the Bianchi cosmos. I'd never part with mine, just want to know more about it.
It's obviously a high end model based on the presence of the number peg and Columbus EL tubeset, in conjunction with the era. However, it's often difficult to give a definitive answer, due to variance between markets. Most forums are North American based and do not have familiarity with the European models. Based strictly on the hierarchy of available Columbus tubesets in 1994, it could be as low as 5th. However, Bianchi did not necessarily offer a model in every Columbus tubeset. In some markets, it would have been as high as 2nd. There's a 1994 Japanese market catalogue on line, where it's ranked 3rd. Presumably, the European markets offered at least the same three but possibly more. So, unless you can find a European (and preferably Belgian) catalogue form 1994, the exact position in the hierarchy will be somewhat of a mystery.
Old 09-07-19, 06:45 AM
calxes9

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re. 1994 Bianchi EL pearl white w/red pictured about 12 posts above, here's another new one up for sale on eBay in Belgium right now, with brazed-on number tab under top tube, no Campion del Mundo sticker. Same frame as mine purchased new from the Netherlands in 2007 except for size and that it comes with a chrome unicrown fork. That makes three EL pearl white w/red that I know of counting Rupert quoted above from a 2010 thread.

I'd post entire eBay link but am not allowed to do so yet. No knowledge of/no relation to seller, no recommendation, no interest in sale at all, just curious to see another frame like mine. ebay dot com item 183936222156
Old 09-08-19, 03:58 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I am going to force myself to work on scanning my Bianchi Catalogs this winter. Is PDF a better format than Jpegs? For some reason my scanner splits up some pages into two image

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Scan.pdf (3.32 MB, 6 views)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 09-08-19 at 04:02 PM.
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 09-15-19, 10:36 AM
mj.3dwards

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking at potentially buying this off ebay. What model/year do you think this might be? Owner claims that it has been powder coated and has new tyres. Other than that all I know is from looking at the photos (i've put a spaces in the links you need to get rid of - my work around for being a newbie )

drive. google. com/file/d/1mLjzRY4H4kGxUPwM3b_46zUsMR29tlPN/view?usp=sharing
drive. google. com/file/d/1215xXrNIXPzEuQt4KlmFrMu9TuASvZHh/view?usp=sharing
drive. google. com/file/d/1vxHHW2EzbCIzn0uu3FUMdRjF20FKoCmy/view?usp=sharing
drive. google. com/file/d/1eOcwIfxH3zRCvAPxubEBFMQ1rPxRVL4v/view?usp=sharing

any help much much appreciated!!
Old 09-15-19, 10:45 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by mj.3dwards
Looking at potentially buying this off ebay. What model/year do you think this might be? Owner claims that it has been powder coated and has new tyres. Other than that all I know is from looking at the photos (i've put a spaces in the links you need to get rid of - my work around for being a newbie )

drive. google. comdrive. google. com/file/d/1mLjzRY4H4kGxUPwM3b_46zUsMR29tlPN/view?usp=sharing/view?usp=sharing
drive. google. com/file/d/1215xXrNIXPzEuQt4KlmFrMu9TuASvZHh/view?usp=sharing
drive. google. com/file/d/1vxHHW2EzbCIzn0uu3FUMdRjF20FKoCmy/view?usp=sharing
drive. google. com/file/d/1eOcwIfxH3zRCvAPxubEBFMQ1rPxRVL4v/view?usp=sharing

Good Morning and welcome to the forums. I can't get the links to work, do you have the ebay number? What country is the bike in? If it is powder coated and restored it is likely over priced.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-15-19, 10:53 AM
mj.3dwards

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
morning! any link that I post I will have to do the same to work around the newbie no URL allowed rule.

they work for me if you delete both the spaces (one after 'drive.' and the other after 'google.')

thank youuu

Last edited by mj.3dwards; 09-15-19 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-15-19, 11:19 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

morning! any link that I post I will have to do the same to work around the newbie no URL allowed rule.

they work for me if you delete both the spaces (one after 'drive.' and the other after 'google.')

thank youuu
It is an old fashioned cumbersome way of doing it but you could always write down the number and then type it in.

Email me the link and I'll post it for you BianchiGirLL@yahoo.com

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-15-19, 12:05 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Looking at potentially buying this off ebay. What model/year do you think this might be? Owner claims that it has been powder coated and has new tyres. Other than that all I know is from looking at the photos

Personally I would not go near it. For starters where is the seat post binder bolt? The decal are mismatched and seem be from completely different eras. The World Champ decal on the top of the seat tube I believe is from the early '70s, the seat tube Bianchi decal is from mid '90s, the down tube decal from the early '80s. If it is a Bianchi frame it is likely one of the entry level Japanese built ones from the early to mid '80s, however the fork doesn't match up as they would have had a crowned fork.

I am not certain if that RD attachment is legitimate or bogus. Is that a real deal hanger extender to allow a short RD to handle a bigger freewheel cog?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-15-19, 03:16 PM
mj.3dwards

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Personally I would not go near it. For starters where is the seat post binder bolt? The decal are mismatched and seem be from completely different eras. The World Champ decal on the top of the seat tube I believe is from the early '70s, the seat tube Bianchi decal is from mid '90s, the down tube decal from the early '80s. If it is a Bianchi frame it is likely one of the entry level Japanese built ones from the early to mid '80s, however the fork doesn't match up as they would have had a crowned fork.

I am not certain if that RD attachment is legitimate or bogus. Is that a real deal hanger extender to allow a short RD to handle a bigger freewheel cog?
OK thanks for the advice. I thought I was on to a cheap buy there, but I suppose what you're saying is true.

I asked the vendor where the frame is made and he said: made in Italy by Bianchi Calibrate 1-20. Whatever that is I'm not sure, and whether its true or not...

Think I'll avoid but many thanks!!!
Likes For mj.3dwards:
Old 09-16-19, 06:44 AM
T-Mar

OK thanks for the advice. I thought I was on to a cheap buy there, but I suppose what you're saying is true.

I asked the vendor where the frame is made and he said: made in Italy by Bianchi Calibrate 1-20. Whatever that is I'm not sure, and whether its true or not...

Think I'll avoid but many thanks!!!
Calibrati1-20 was Bianchi's designation for hi-tensile steel used on the Italian manufactured entry level models in the 1970s. It may have been used into the 1980s on European models but in America, the 1980s entry level models were being sourced in Japan. It would be interesting to know the serial number on the frame, as it may resolve a lot of speculation.
Old 09-16-19, 12:21 PM
mj.3dwards

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Calibrati1-20 was Bianchi's designation for hi-tensile steel used on the Italian manufactured entry level models in the 1970s. It may have been used into the 1980s on European models but in America, the 1980s entry level models were being sourced in Japan. It would be interesting to know the serial number on the frame, as it may resolve a lot of speculation.
Have asked the seller, and I quote: "579091 on headset"
Old 09-21-19, 04:43 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
A little help identifying this one. Im thinking 86 limited?

Serial number on BB 690641

Last edited by malcala622; 09-21-19 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-22-19, 05:59 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

@malcala622 What does the tubing decal on the fork say? What brand is the HS? I think a Limited would have a 600 HS.

It might be a "Mediterranean Blue" Squadra, both frames, along with most of the others, all used the Formula 2 tubeset that year.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-22-19, 07:31 AM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
@malcala622 What does the tubing decal on the fork say? What brand is the HS? I think a Limited would have a 600 HS.

It might be a "Mediterranean Blue" Squadra, both frames, along with most of the others, all used the Formula 2 tubeset that year.
The headset is Ofmega. Its hard to read the decal but does seem to be a Formula 2.
Old 09-22-19, 08:08 AM
phoenixMeru

Bikes: Bill Philbrook 531sl - all dura ace Vetta Excecutive MAX - Super record Falcon San Remo - Nuovo Record Elswick Metropolitan Shopper - Campy Record! Old Ritchey Klunker - Bitsa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there all, any help in identifying my frame would be greatly received!!! I've been trying to work out the model via online pics and catalogues but to no avail!It has Super Set ii in SLX, Celeste, plain bianchi decals with white signature on top tube, and with chrome rear stays, lugged all round, all chrome under paint, race tab, internal routing at the top tube, unstamped drop outs, no panto's at all and serial A232233. I was told years ago on acquiring that it was a factory built race frame, race tab looks factory, so maybe a Reparto Course?

Thanks for any help

I have pics but not enough posts to attach yet.

Last edited by phoenixMeru; 09-22-19 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-22-19, 08:37 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by phoenixMeru
Hi there all, any help in identifying my frame would be greatly received!!! I've been trying to work out the model via online pics and catalogues but to no avail!It has Super Set ii in SLX, Celeste with chrome rear stays, lugged all round, all chrome under paint, race tab, internal routing at the top tube, unstamped drop outs and serial A232233. I was told years ago on acquiring that it was a factory built race frame, race tab looks factory.

Pleeeeease help me end this torturous search, thank you.

I have pics but not enough posts to attach yet.
Good Morning and welcome to the forums. Is this SLX or SBX? A SuperSet II frame would likely be SBX from ‘92ish. A lot of these had chrome rear triangles but I doubt the whole is chromed. Where are you and the frame? It is possible it is a factory supplied team frame from a group purchase or some sort of sponsorship.

[img]blob:https://www.bikeforums.net/f1526cd7-fcf2-46d7-b99b-87e271c19d70[/img]

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.