Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Giant Roam Owners Thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Giant Roam Owners Thread

Old 08-17-19, 09:46 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1578 Post(s)
Liked 1,184 Times in 603 Posts
Originally Posted by hairyco
Why do you say that it makes no difference?
Sorry to be ignorant. Do gears, derailleurs, brakes and other components not matter for bikes that have pedal assist?
Pay no attention to me -- seriously! I have a 'thing' about e-bikes, that's all; not a fan.

Yes, those components make a difference: better is better. In my opinion, though, not enough given your likely application to make the change you mooted worthwhile.

Others might disagree; if you want constructive advice -- again, seriously -- you really should go over to the e-bike sub-forum here: https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/

Cheers!
Old 08-17-19, 10:26 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Why do you say that it makes no difference?
Sorry to be ignorant. Do gears, derailleurs, brakes and other components not matter for bikes that have pedal assist?
To be honest, they do matter much less on an e-bike, least in my opinion and experience. My folks have four e-bikes. Two were purchased as e-bikes, and two were converted -- a Trek 8.4 DS and a Surly Pugsley. They have totally transformed cycling for them, and I love riding them whenever we visit them. I'd absolutely buy one, or convert my Roam, if I had the opportunity to ride as much as they ride (they're retired, and ride for hours each day).

Both of their purchased e-bikes use hub motors, and both of their converts are mid-drives. Especially for hub motors, there's relatively little power being transferred through the actual drivetrain (it's all in the hub), so drivetrain components don't get abused much. He's got cadence sensors on all of them (vs. torque sensors), so you can (if you want) put essentially zero power through the drivetrain, and have the hub motor drive the bike. The mid-drives are obviously different -- all of the assist runs through the chain and cassette. Even here, he shifts relatively infrequently because you don't have to keep such a constant cadence...or at least it's not as critical as it is with no assist.

PM me if you'd like more info on these. I recommend the conversion without hesitation.
Old 08-17-19, 07:11 PM
hairyco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
To be honest, they do matter much less on an e-bike, least in my opinion and experience. My folks have four e-bikes. Two were purchased as e-bikes, and two were converted -- a Trek 8.4 DS and a Surly Pugsley. They have totally transformed cycling for them, and I love riding them whenever we visit them. I'd absolutely buy one, or convert my Roam, if I had the opportunity to ride as much as they ride (they're retired, and ride for hours each day).

Both of their purchased e-bikes use hub motors, and both of their converts are mid-drives. Especially for hub motors, there's relatively little power being transferred through the actual drivetrain (it's all in the hub), so drivetrain components don't get abused much. He's got cadence sensors on all of them (vs. torque sensors), so you can (if you want) put essentially zero power through the drivetrain, and have the hub motor drive the bike. The mid-drives are obviously different -- all of the assist runs through the chain and cassette. Even here, he shifts relatively infrequently because you don't have to keep such a constant cadence...or at least it's not as critical as it is with no assist.

PM me if you'd like more info on these. I recommend the conversion without hesitation.
I ended up refunding the bike at my LBS and getting the second-hand bike. One thing that I noticed right away between the Roam 0 and Roam 2 was how much better the brakes were.
Either the LBS did something to the Roam 2 brakes so that I have to press much harder to get it to stop or the brakes on the Roam 0 is much better. I presume it's the case of the latter.

Anyways, I think that was one of the main reason that won me over, in addition to the more stealthy colorway.
Old 08-18-19, 06:47 AM
hokiefyd 

As an e-bike, you'll definitely be able to take advantage of the better brakes. My guess is the new Roam's brakes just weren't bedded-in, yet (it can take up to 10-20 miles to lay down a layer of pad material on the rotors). Once the brakes are bedded, stopping power really improves. This has likely already happened on the older Roam. You can sort of see this for yourself -- if you clean the rotors on your new-used Roam really well with rubbing alcohol, you'll probably find that brake performance is reduced when you ride it next, and it'll take a little bit to build that pad material back up. It's generally not as bad as with truly new brakes, but it's still there to some degree.

Anyway, you'll enjoy that Roam 0 for sure. You'll enjoy it even more after you've electrified it. Luna Cycles even offers (or used to offer) a kit specific to the Giant Roam for conversions: the Roam Fusion.

Have fun, and be safe!
Old 08-18-19, 07:40 PM
hairyco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

I also wanted to note that the specs on the Giant website about the forks are misleading. The website states that the 2017 Giant Roam 0 has SR Suntour NCX-D LO, w/ Lock-Out, 63mm.
As I looked at the forks, there is a lock-out switch on one side but on the other side is a twist cap which opens up to an air nozzle used for Air suspension. I am no expert but it seems like these are air suspension more than coil suspension.

If anyone else with a 2017 Giant Roam 0 could confirm my observations, that would be highly appreciated.
Old 08-19-19, 04:34 AM
hokiefyd 

Yes, the NCX-D has both an air and a coil spring:

https://www.srsuntour.com/products/fork/NCX-D-5898.html
Old 08-19-19, 04:48 AM
badger1

Thanks!

I also wanted to note that the specs on the Giant website about the forks are misleading. The website states that the 2017 Giant Roam 0 has SR Suntour NCX-D LO, w/ Lock-Out, 63mm.
As I looked at the forks, there is a lock-out switch on one side but on the other side is a twist cap which opens up to an air nozzle used for Air suspension. I am no expert but it seems like these are air suspension more than coil suspension.

If anyone else with a 2017 Giant Roam 0 could confirm my observations, that would be highly appreciated.
The NCX series has been around for a few years now in essentially the same form. There are two versions, 'D' with steel upper tubes, and air or coil spring; 'E' with aluminum uppers and air spring only. The uppers on both are 30mm, and both have hydraulic damping.

'18/19 Roam 0s have NCX E LO (lockout) w/aluminum steer tube. The '17 as you say is specc'd "NCX D LO", but that can be either air or coil depending on what Giant wanted on the bike. They might even have changed the spec half-way through the model run from coil to air -- who knows?

If you are seeing an air valve under the top cap on one side, you have the air spring version. If it were coil you'd see a preload adjuster. Suntour's 'cross' forks with hydraulic damping/lockout all have the same basic construction: damping cartidge with lockout one side, air or coil spring the other.

*NCX D air: https://www.srsuntour.com/typo3conf/...,63,50-(2).pdf

*This shows the fork with remote lock-out (RL) lever/assembly, but otherwise it's your fork. Diagram gives you parts/codes etc. for virtually everything in there.
Old 09-18-19, 02:51 PM
bend1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys!

I am a newbie in the bicycle world and would need a little advice from you. I am deciding between Giant Roam 0 disc M 2019 (900 eur with discount) and Giant Roam 2 disc M 2019 (630 eur with discount). Since the price varies for about 300 EUR, I am wondering if I will be able to feel the difference in the practical ride with one or another (daily driving in the city and local roads during weekends). Is Roam 0 worth the extra money?

Thank you for your help!
Old 09-18-19, 03:21 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by bend1
Hi guys!

I am a newbie in the bicycle world and would need a little advice from you. I am deciding between Giant Roam 0 disc M 2019 (900 eur with discount) and Giant Roam 2 disc M 2019 (630 eur with discount). Since the price varies for about 300 EUR, I am wondering if I will be able to feel the difference in the practical ride with one or another (daily driving in the city and local roads during weekends). Is Roam 0 worth the extra money?

Thank you for your help!
My view: if you can comfortably afford the difference, and if you are going to give the bike moderate-to-heavy use, then unequivocally yes, the Roam 0 is well worth the upcharge over the Roam 2.

To my mind this is open/shut. Everything on the Roam 0 -- fork, brakes, wheelset, drivetrain -- other than the frame itself is significantly higher level/quality. This includes even such items as bars/stem/seatpost/saddle. Cumulatively, the differences are well worth the upcharge, and you will notice them. The 0 will be more capable on rough/unpaved surfaces, and the components will stay in adjustment longer and last longer. That it is also in consequence quite a bit lighter is an added bonus.

The '19 Roam 2 is a good bike; the '19 Roam 0 is -- of its type -- at another level altogether.
Old 09-18-19, 03:36 PM
bend1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
badger1 - thank you for your view! That really helped me to decide easier
Old 09-30-19, 07:52 PM
Pewdiddy116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roam 3 lights

I just picked up a '20 Roam 3. I mostly ride Urban areas w/street lights but I need to pick up some kind of lights to be seen and to see. I was wondering what kind of lights everyone uses with your roam?
Old 09-30-19, 08:30 PM
drb372

Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pewdiddy116
I just picked up a '20 Roam 3. I mostly ride Urban areas w/street lights but I need to pick up some kind of lights to be seen and to see. I was wondering what kind of lights everyone uses with your roam?
Take a look at the Cygolite Metro 700/Hotshot 100 combo. I've been using these for a couple of months. Both the headlight and the tail light offer many different settings for either day or night use. Both have rechargeable batteries with decent discharge times. The headlight includes a handlebar mount while the tail light uses a seat tube mount. A rear rack mount is available for a few bucks.
Old 10-01-19, 08:35 AM
Pewdiddy116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I've been looking at the Cygolites due to their price. I'm not a professional who needs the best of the best.
Old 10-22-19, 08:27 AM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
I'm a bit confused about front suspensions. I have a Roam 4 Disc and I like it very much. It doesn't need any upgrades but I know from other bikes I have and have had that I will enjoy a better front fork suspension. That is based on feel only as I do not know the specific attributes of various suspensions.

Mine is a Suntour NEX 700C 63mm. I looked online at other suspensions and lack the expertise to determine what upgrade would be desirable and possible. So I figured I could simplify it by just going with the Roam 2 or 1 suspension. These are the NEX HLO and the NEX LO Air. Obviously the "Air" is different in that it is an air suspension, and it appears the better ones have a lockout, but other than that I cannot see specific differences, especially as to how it will actually feel. All three that Giant offers are 63mm travel.

See, I don't need better, as I have a dedicated MTB for serious off road riding, I just like a soft ride up front. I asked the Giant folks on line but just get the "Out Riding" non-response. My research on line doesn't answer my question.

Any suggestions on a specific front suspension upgrade that will fit my bike and be noticeably smoother as a front suspension?
Old 10-22-19, 09:32 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by spinconn
I'm a bit confused about front suspensions. I have a Roam 4 Disc and I like it very much. It doesn't need any upgrades but I know from other bikes I have and have had that I will enjoy a better front fork suspension. That is based on feel only as I do not know the specific attributes of various suspensions.

Mine is a Suntour NEX 700C 63mm. I looked online at other suspensions and lack the expertise to determine what upgrade would be desirable and possible. So I figured I could simplify it by just going with the Roam 2 or 1 suspension. These are the NEX HLO and the NEX LO Air. Obviously the "Air" is different in that it is an air suspension, and it appears the better ones have a lockout, but other than that I cannot see specific differences, especially as to how it will actually feel. All three that Giant offers are 63mm travel.

See, I don't need better, as I have a dedicated MTB for serious off road riding, I just like a soft ride up front. I asked the Giant folks on line but just get the "Out Riding" non-response. My research on line doesn't answer my question.

Any suggestions on a specific front suspension upgrade that will fit my bike and be noticeably smoother as a front suspension?
1. Rockshox Paragon Gold RL (https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/fs-parg-rl-a1)

2. Suntour NCX E LO Air/aluminum steerer.

Either will dramatically improve your bike's handling/adjustability and knock considerable weight off your bike's front end.
Old 10-22-19, 09:50 AM
spinconn

Awesome, thank you much badger1.
Old 10-22-19, 02:00 PM
matt_oo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered my Giant roam 0 today, the blue one.
I can't wait anymore
Old 10-22-19, 02:53 PM
hokiefyd 

That light blue on the 2020 Roam 0 looks real nice. I'm drawn to blue bikes anyway, but that light blue looks pretty classy to me.
Old 12-23-19, 12:04 PM
4thand11

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

New to the forum - getting ready to buy my first bike since I was a kid (and rode a K-Mart 1-speed with coaster brakes!). I'm 51 now. Have not ridden in many years but eager to get back into it.

I am looking at the Roam as it seems like the perfect fit for the type of riding I plan to do, and seems like good value for the money. My main question is the differences between the 2,3, and 4 (2020) models. Each one is about $100 more than the other, but as a bicycle noob I have no idea if it is worth it.

As far as I can tell, the Roam 4 has no lockout on the fork and a tourney front derailleur/altus rear derailleur.
Roam 3 has a lockout plus an Acera rear derailleur.
Roam 2 has Acera front and back

Brakes and most everything else seems to be the same on all 3. One other difference I could see is in the drivetrain (Roam 4 is 3x7, Roam 3 is 2x8, and Roam 2 is 2x9).

So... are these differences worth the increase in price? I have no clue about derailleurs and how much better/more expensive one is than the other. Also not sure if having a 2x drivetrain is a big difference and worth the extra cost. Thanks!
Old 12-23-19, 01:01 PM
hokiefyd 

I personally think the components are more or less similar enough such that other factors like color choice should prevail in your selection criteria. Each of the bikes uses the same Tektro hydraulic disc brakes and similar forks. Yes, the 4 lacks the lockout that you get with the 3 and the 2. Outweighing that to some degree, in my book, is the 3x crankset on the 4 (whereas the 3 and 2 models have only a 2x crankset). The cranksets all have the same large and small rings (28 tooth and 44 tooth, respectively). The 3 and 2 models simply drop the 38 tooth ring found in the middle of the 4's crankset. You may or may not prefer that -- that would really be up to you and where and how you ride. (I personally ride a lot of varied terrain and I'm almost always in the middle 38 tooth ring on my Roam (a 2018 model 2), so I would not care for the newer 2x cranksets.)

But 4, 3, or 2 -- they're all close enough in execution for me to recommend you choose more on color than equipment. None of the components on these bikes is particularly high end (all of it is low-to-mid grade recreational consumer level components), and I bet you'd find yourself satisfied with any of the drivetrains (even the 3x7 on the Roam 4 uses a cassette instead of a freewheel). And components are all bolt-on anyway, meaning you can change anything you don't like. But you can't change the color -- not very easily or inexpensively, anyway. So I recommend buying the model that comes in the color you like the best. Above all else, you need to like your bike to want to ride it a lot. If one of the colors available on the 4, 3, or 2 really speaks to you -- that's the one to get (in my humble opinion).

Welcome to the forum!
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 12-23-19, 01:42 PM
madferrit

Bikes: Giant Roam 2 (2020)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi 4thand11 I bought a 2020 Roam 2 in August and absolutely love it. Like you, I was confused about the differences, and in the end, I decided to buy the best according to my budget keeping in mind I needed to factor in safety gear, lights, etc.

Like you, I was getting onto a bike after years and couldn't decide between the different specs of different models and the Roam 2 seemed like the right model for me. I've enjoyed every ride with it and went back to my LBS to fit a few extras that I decided I would like after I bought the bike. Ideally, I preferred the 2019 colour (my bike is red), but once I bought it, I never looked back. Best decision I made.

I also agree with everything hokiefyd advised. Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-23-19, 02:00 PM
spinconn

I got the 4 a few months ago so I obviously did not think the differences were that great. I also agree with everything said by HokeifydI.

I like the 3X drivetrain and despite not living in a hilly area, I use all three chainrings, though I do spend most of my time in the middle one. If I were to upgrade anything (and I am not) it would be the brakes but those are the same on all of the versions.
Old 12-23-19, 04:38 PM
4thand11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the incredibly helpful advice! I think the Roam 3 might be the sweet spot for me... plus I like the black/orange color combo the best. Going to try and test ride one soon.
Old 12-25-19, 09:04 AM
spinconn

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
You could get a riser handlebar that would give you 40mm more height over a flat handlebar, but I think your Roam may have a 15mm rise in its handlebar, so only a net gain of 25mm there.

The biggest increase you could get would be to go with a stem riser and I have attached two different types that would work with your Roam.
Colonel, I know it is an old post but can you give me the make and model names on these stem risers?
Old 01-30-20, 10:44 AM
spinconn

Didn't get any response on my last post re: stem risers, but I'd like to try one more time with a slight change. I want to convert my Roam 4 Disc to a commuter. Will eventually consider adding a rack, fenders and lights but first, I want an upright position. However, I don't just want higher bars, I want curved bars that angle the grips back as well as up. It seems to me I can do that with just a new handlebar, though I might need other changes with the cables for the shifters and brakes. I would appreciate any suggestions on this, particularly any specific handlebars that would work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.