Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Close call today...

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Close call today...

Old 09-20-19, 05:22 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Close call today...

with the Salmon Ninja!

I was in the process of going into the left lane, so had my head temporarily turned, and when I looked back this was what I saw:

It could have been disastrous, obviously. I did yell something back at him about going the wrong way or wrong side. But man, I was pissed.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 09-20-19, 07:12 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
@mcours2006 I felt that unpleasant bitter taste of sudden adrenaline just seeing the words "ninja salmon". I know exactly how you feel...especially on a busy street's narrow bike lane with arrows denoting the direction of traffic.
Old 09-20-19, 10:00 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Geeze. Not a light (or even reflector) to be seen on him. What the...
Old 09-20-19, 10:17 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
ninja salmon outside the bike lane even? death wish
Old 09-20-19, 10:57 AM
mcours2006

Ironically he had reflective/high-vis backpack, which didn't do him any good since he was on the wrong side of the road.

Yeah, colliding with me would have resulted in minor injuries. But I could see how the way he was riding he could have easily collided with a truck or something, and there was one coming up behind me. That would have resulted in more than minor injuries, or worse. Stupid people everywhere.
Old 09-20-19, 11:37 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
There's a certain logic to it, I suppose.

"Since I'm a directionally-challenged person, I need to be EXTRA visible, so I'll wear a hi-viz backpack. Hey, don't judge me, bro."
Old 09-20-19, 11:48 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Anybody that can stomach it, should google up the uber-cam video capturing the pedestrian-with-bicycle that was struck and killed (in AZ I believe) by an automated Uber test car with an inattentive 'driver'.

Everybody got up in arms about the danger of automated cars, and yes it turns out the lidar sensor responsible for detecting obstacles was at that time turned down because it had recently been giving too many false alarms, so Uber bears some blame

BUT what was that pedestrian thinking, crossing the road at night away from streetlights and walking into the path of a moving car?!?! Surely the victim bears some share of responsibility as well.
Old 09-20-19, 12:47 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Ironically he had reflective/high-vis backpack, which didn't do him any good since he was on the wrong side of the road.

Yeah, colliding with me would have resulted in minor injuries. But I could see how the way he was riding he could have easily collided with a truck or something, and there was one coming up behind me. That would have resulted in more than minor injuries, or worse. Stupid people everywhere.
What? You don't like to ride on the wrong side of the road...in traffic...in the dark....with no lights?

Where is your sense of adventure?
Old 09-20-19, 12:55 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
looks like that ninja is kinda far from the curb too
Old 09-20-19, 01:33 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Well, if it's worth anything, you were lit and I assume he saw you eventhough you couldn't see him.
Old 09-20-19, 01:42 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
How did you manage to take that picture? I wouldn't have nearly enough presence of mind to whip out a camera and take a picture if I was dodging a collision.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-20-19, 02:18 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
How did you manage to take that picture? I wouldn't have nearly enough presence of mind to whip out a camera and take a picture if I was dodging a collision.
I'm guessing he has a video cam and froze/cut out a frame and made it a jpg or something. If that isn't it, I got nuthin.
Old 09-20-19, 02:56 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Dude's a ninja, that's why the picture is so dark.
Old 09-20-19, 03:05 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
with the Salmon Ninja!

I was in the process of going into the left lane, so had my head temporarily turned, and when I looked back this was what I saw:

It could have been disastrous, obviously. I did yell something back at him about going the wrong way or wrong side. But man, I was pissed.
Why is your headlight too weak and aimed out too far left?
Old 09-20-19, 05:07 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Close call today...
with the Salmon Ninja!

I posted to this now-closed thread,”What do you say to a cyclist riding at night w/o lights or reflectors?”
Originally Posted by @Kickstart
Myob
Originally Posted by @Chris516
Say something. Who cares if it ticks him off. You are caring about another cyclist. They should be grateful.

Otherwise, They should be handing you a shovel. To scrape their carcass off the road after they have been killed for riding like that.
Originally Posted by @FbinNY
Add one more vote to the MYOB side.

I can't fathom why some people appoint themselves as nannies to strangers. Of course if someone asks for help, than you should graciously offer it. But otherwise you should equally graciously keep your mouth shut.
Originally Posted by J.C. Koto
If you're going to say something, might as well go all in: "Hey! Jerkass! You forgot your lights, jerkass!

Whaddarya?! Some kinda jerkass who forgets his lights or sumthin?"
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I'm inclined not to give advice. Most frequently when I encounter a ninja while riding, my surprised "Whoa!" hopefully indicates to them that I didn't see them.

On one occasion I did admonish a cyclist with oncoming too-bright, blinding lights on a darkened MUP, and though I couldn't make out the words, it sounded like a Mind-Your-Own-Business reply.

On my AM commute currently as now it's in the dark, it seems there are not a few riders who (self-righteously) overdo the lights to the detriment of oncoming riders, but that's another topic.
If inclined, one needs to says something clearly,and definitively to get the message across.

My best thought so far is "Heads up” as if I am suddenly surprised by their presence, because I was startled since I just saw them. (I also use that with oncoming lit-up riders too).

And let's not forget the peds, skateboarders, dog walkers, etc.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-20-19 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-20-19, 07:22 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Originally Posted by nomadmax
I'm guessing he has a video cam and froze/cut out a frame and made it a jpg or something. If that isn't it, I got nuthin.
Helmet mounted camera, yeah. Vidcap on playback. Blurred since I was in process of whipping my head back toward front after glancing back. Also poor video quality due to low light.
Old 09-20-19, 07:25 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by Rollfast
Why is your headlight too weak and aimed out too far left?
Headlight is 500lm, more than adequate for the conditions. Also running a bright blinking light in conjunction.

Aiming left because that's the direction the handlebar is facing, and where I'm about to go.
Old 09-20-19, 07:28 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Well, if it's worth anything, you were lit and I assume he saw you eventhough you couldn't see him.
I'm sure he saw me, and he probably assumed I saw him too. I would have if my attention was focused fully in front. But I was looking back to see traffic coming up from behind in anticipation of making a left turn.
Old 09-20-19, 09:23 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Well, if it's worth anything, you were lit and I assume he saw you even though you couldn't see him.
I'm sure he saw me, and he probably assumed I saw him too.

I would have if my attention was focused fully in front. But I was looking back to see traffic coming up from behind in anticipation of making a left turn.
As a staunch mirror advocate, I recently posted about allocation of attention to the front or the rear in the thread “Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph”
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Right. I can't speak for others, but I already admitted that this particular crash would have been difficult to avoid in that final second. Also that it is rare.
...Rare but it does happen.
Right. And you also admit to not properly monitoring your rear view mirror when it happened
+10 to the use of mirrors. Regarding my mishap
When I was hit from behind, it was on a wide, low-volume, well-lit residential road at about 9 PM in June, by a “distracted driver.” The route was so calm that I was not closely monitoring my rearward view.

In fact, though perhaps I could have ditched the bike, I’m glad I didn’t see it coming if I was going to get hit anyways...
Of course one usually has to more continuously monitor the forward line of travel, intermittently the rear.
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The exception of course is when a bicyclist is riding on a high speed road with few intersections, driveways, or exits/entrances where traffic can enter or leave the road; for example - the road location where the cyclist involved in this accident was riding. In those cases, the high risk to the cyclist is to his rear, not to his front.

This bicyclist was struck from behind by a vehicle that probably would have been clearly seen approaching if the cyclist was even occasionally monitoring traffic to his rear.

And as is obvious, recording video to the rear is useless for monitoring anything in real time.
All the studies I’ve seen over the years have shown other types of crashes to be more common than hit from behind.

Crashes at intersections and crossings are the leaders.
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Counting crash type totals without evaluating the resulting severity of injuries of the various crash types is close to being useless (except for those who manipulate accident stats to promote a personal agenda) unless you consider crash types that are more to likely result in road rash and skinned knees as the equivalent to the type of crashes that are likely to result in death or catastrophic injuries to the bicyclist.
As I see it, the nearly only hazard from the rear is a (usually noisy) upcoming vehicle…a car, truck, motorcycle; maybe a cyclist; less likely something falling, e. g a tree branch.

IMO forward hazards are more frequent and varied, and often unexpected or obscure, e.g potholes, especially those covered by leaves (link), trash, clueless pedestrians crossing in front, sticky tar seams (link),turning vehicles (link).parked cars (where applicable) etc.

Hence,
…My main argument for a mirror, particularly in the urban environment is summarized by Jim’s Law of the Road: “No matter how well paved or lightly-traveled the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass you on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right.”
and
I try to keep safe with certain aphorisms in my head that come to mind to alert me when I encounter a situation where unseen dangers may lurk, ..."

Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms (link), collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience, are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least, my other aphorisms beside those above [include];see the link: Total of nine (9).]

Those are all I remember for now, and they all pop-up in my mind as I encounter the situation.
Regarding the question of taking the lane, I’ve always felt it is a question of pragmatism, though I probably too obsequiously favor keeping the drivers happy by staying FRAP.

Recently I posted on this thread:
On a few rides over the past few days I have tried out the more aggressive position, in the right tire track, with very good results. I can easily monitor the driver's responses in my rearview mirror...so far no aggressive maneuvers or honking….

It is still a bit unsettling to take the lane, though my rearview mirrors keep me aware, and I now scan them more frequently, a good thing. I soon determined that at about 30 yards behind me, the driver probably has noticed me, but is not yet impatient….

I did notice that I became so focused on what was happening in front and behind, I had on a couple of occasions to remind myself to watch out for side drives and street intersections.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-20-19 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-21-19, 05:22 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I'm sure he saw me, and he probably assumed I saw him too. I would have if my attention was focused fully in front.
Maybe he did maybe he didn't...Even if he did see you it still doesn't matter. One thing I learned over the years is that some people are idiots and they will play chicken with you to see who moves first... and expect you to move out of their way instead of them moving out of the way....Stupidity has no boundaries and peoples ego has no boundaries...Another thing I learned is to always and always assume that the other person doesn't see you and/or has no desire to move out of the way or to give right of way, so I always try to be prepared for an evasive maneuver. It's a waste of time trying to talk to them and explain that they are in the wrong,
Old 09-21-19, 09:27 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Maybe he did maybe he didn't...Even if he did see you it still doesn't matter. One thing I learned over the years is that some people are idiots and they will play chicken with you to see who moves first... and expect you to move out of their way instead of them moving out of the way....Stupidity has no boundaries and peoples ego has no boundaries...Another thing I learned is to always and always assume that the other person doesn't see you and/or has no desire to move out of the way or to give right of way, so I always try to be prepared for an evasive maneuver. It's a waste of time trying to talk to them and explain that they are in the wrong,
I am saying I assumed he saw me after the fact, obviously, not at the moment of the incident because I didn't see him to assume anything. I assumed there wasn't an idiot cyclist riding on the wrong side of the road coming at me.

I always assume that driver's do not see me and proceed accordingly. Same with pedestrians. You might lose a few seconds here and there, or have to brake more, or even come to a complete stop, but the time and/or effort expended is nothing compared to that of having a collision with either a pedestrian or vehicle.