Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Tip: My tubeless sealant in tubes experiment

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Tip: My tubeless sealant in tubes experiment

Old 09-18-19, 06:13 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
When the sealant comes out of a puncture it makes a rhythmic hiss as the hole passes through the puddle.

The question is do you go fast enough for the fluid to balance the tire like Dyna Beads?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-20-19, 07:03 AM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Hardy - I’m guessing you have a bad tire rim combination. As there is no good standard, some tire-wheel combos are too tight (and won’t go on), and some tires are too loose.

Contenital (and others) have developed a new standard they plan on rolling out in 6-12 months that should address that issue. Right now, high pressure road tubeless is hit or miss, unless you match your tire to an approved-tested rim. High-pressure road tubeless also requires a hooked rim. Personally, I’m fine with some fast 32mm tires running hookless at >70PSI.
The main issue with road tubeless is it is generally more miss than hit. I work at a bike shop where we install and service a very high volume of tubeless setups on a variety of bikes. A few combinations work great, but a higher percentage of them (enough that I have a hard time recommending road tubeless) have issues. We sell the Continental GP5000 TL tires, and the hype before we got them seemed like they were the answer, but alas, they are hit and miss as well.
Anything above 32-35mm wide seems to work decent but bellow that, you may be in for a headache.
Likes For Le Mechanic:
Old 09-20-19, 09:23 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
For me with skinny (28mm) road tires the problem with tubeless is not punctures (sealant caught'em all!) but just keeping the tires on the rim. Putting sealant in tubes sounds great to me.
Not sure if he’s talking about a loose fitting tire or maybe a tubeless tire that just won’t mount onto the rim shelf.

My optimistic winter project of taking some used Dura Ace 7850 tubeless compatible clinchers (that had never been set up for tubeless) got sidelined due to the front tire never being able to hold air and leaking large amounts of air through one of the beads. The stubborn tire is a 23mm Hutchinson Atom. I don’t think this tire will ever run tubeless. I mounted and dismounted it like 3 times and caused a small split in the square bead with my tire lever. I need to just wash out the Stan’s sealant and put a latex inner tube in there (for now).

I really like latex inner tubes. I think I have heard of folks putting sealant into their latex tubed tubulars with some success. I’m fairly OK with the daily re-inflation before each ride necessary on my latex tubed road bikes. I did consider injecting about 45 ml of Stan’s in there as an experiment to see if it changes anything.
Old 09-20-19, 09:43 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I used Stan's sealant in tubes for a season and was pleased, but found that Flat Attack pre-filled tubes were a better alternative. Their sealant is gauranteed for 5 years so it doesn't need to be "refreshed" from time to time to remain liquid. The sealant is also supposed to be biodegradable which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy for using it. Despite many punctures, I haven't had a flat on the road in over three years. When a puncture occurs, the tire loses a little pressure, I stop and remove anything I find on the tire, add air or CO2, give the wheel a spin and ride on.

Marc
I've experienced about a dozen flats in the last 3 months, mostly from wire/road debris, although there is some kind of plant around here that produces long (~1") thorns that are hard enough to go through a Marathon+ WITH liners!

The guys at Utah Trikes swear by Flat Attack, and I had them add some to my velo when it was in. I'll give it a couple months, and if it seems to help a lot, I'm going to order a bottle for my other bike as well.
Old 09-20-19, 10:58 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
The guys at Utah Trikes swear by Flat Attack, ...
I had mixed experience with their tubes.
The 2" tubes worked well - almost too well as I didn't know I had a nail in my tire until it worked its way to the rim side of the tube - put a hole in there - and the sealant won't help with that.
the ~25mm tubes didn't seem to help seal much at all
The last couple of tubes I bought were defective and blew out within a day of installation (oddly at the same spot).

Bottom line - if you are using the bottle to fill up some mountain bike tubes, it can work great. Just be ware if there is an unusual small loss in pressure day to day - check to see if there is something in your tire. They should hold air with very minimal pressure loss day to day. Enjoy!
Old 09-20-19, 11:06 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Please explain...
I have had 2 wipeouts where I didn't see what happened but at the end the tubeless tire was off the rim; once it was a blowoff (onlookers heard it), the other time, no witnesses, don't know. Once for the front, once for the rear.
Old 09-20-19, 11:40 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
Anything above 32-35mm wide seems to work decent but bellow that, you may be in for a headache.
I think it's not about the width, it's about the pressure. And since wider tires can run lower pressures, they work better.
Old 09-20-19, 02:38 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I had mixed experience with their tubes.
The 2" tubes worked well - almost too well as I didn't know I had a nail in my tire until it worked its way to the rim side of the tube - put a hole in there - and the sealant won't help with that.
the ~25mm tubes didn't seem to help seal much at all
The last couple of tubes I bought were defective and blew out within a day of installation (oddly at the same spot).

Bottom line - if you are using the bottle to fill up some mountain bike tubes, it can work great. Just be ware if there is an unusual small loss in pressure day to day - check to see if there is something in your tire. They should hold air with very minimal pressure loss day to day. Enjoy!
Thanks for the heads up. I check my tires (at least) weekly when I top up the pressures.

I've started to carry a Gerber multi-tool with me, as there have now been two instances where there were objects in the tire that I could not pull out with my fingers, and I needed pliers.