Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Spasms in leg muscles

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Spasms in leg muscles

Old 09-26-19, 10:32 AM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Spasms in leg muscles

So, I've noticed from time to time, particularly after a long ride that my calf muscles spasm. I can't feel it, but you can see it moving. It doesn't hurt and my potassium levels are good at last doc check. In addition I take a potassium supplement daily as bananas aren't many favorite, lol.

My wife says after I ride its like an alien movie, like something is alive and moving inside my leg. Anyone ever experience this phenomenon?
Old 09-26-19, 10:39 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
If they are brief, twitchy, movements of a small part of the muscle, they are “benign” fasciculations. These are very common and can be triggered by exercise. I certainly have them and they are nothing to worry about. If you have them in any muscles other than the posterior calf (gastroc and soleus), see your doctor

Last edited by MoAlpha; 09-26-19 at 10:44 AM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-26-19, 10:50 AM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
If they are brief, twitchy, movements of a small part of the muscle, they are “benign” fasciculations. These are very common and can be triggered by exercise. I certainly have them and they are nothing to worry about. If you have them in any muscles other than the posterior calf (gastroc and soleus), see your doctor
That's where they are, just freaks my wife out....lol.
Old 09-26-19, 11:00 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by mynewnchome
Old 09-26-19, 11:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by mynewnchome
Tell her to stop looking at your legs. Problem solved.
Old 09-26-19, 11:50 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I have had them for years. No problem. I also used to get terrible night cramps in my both my upper and lower legs. I quit drinking alcohol 5 years ago and have not had one in all this time.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 09-26-19, 11:51 AM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I get them if I'm fatigued and increase my power output from already high to higher. I recently had this happen on a 40 km Zwift race and I attempted to power up a short hill. Easing off the pedals and a quick stretch on the downhill and I was good.
Old 09-26-19, 12:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Back in the Stone Age when I took my physiology courses, I was taught that this was the perfect example of a phenomenon so benign that its causes would likely never be known because no one will bother to study it.
Old 09-26-19, 02:02 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Back in the Stone Age when I took my physiology courses, I was taught that this was the perfect example of a phenomenon so benign that its causes would likely never be known because no one will bother to study it.
There is actually quite a bit of work on the mechanism of fasciculations because they occur when the nerve supply to a muscle is damaged and understanding the changes at the neuromuscular junction after nerve damage could lead to a way of preventing muscle atrophy while waiting for nerves to regenerate. Despite this interest, the story is not complete.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-26-19, 02:06 PM
Clem von Jones

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
I've heard these leg muscle spasms are more likely to be caused by a magnesium deficiency and that many common forms of magnesium supplements aren't readily absorbable, so you have look at chelated magnesium of which there are several varieties.
Old 09-26-19, 02:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

There is actually quite a bit of work on the mechanism of fasciculations because they occur when the nerve supply to a muscle is damaged and understanding the changes at the neuromuscular junction after nerve damage could lead to a way of preventing muscle atrophy while waiting for nerves to regenerate. Despite this interest, the story is not complete.
I suspected something may have changed which is why I specified how long ago this coursework was. They don't just happen after damage, do they? Most of them are so transient that it doesn't seem like any sort of structural cause would be likely.
Old 09-26-19, 02:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
I've heard these leg muscle spasms are more likely to be caused by a magnesium deficiency and that many common forms of magnesium supplements aren't readily absorbable, so you have look at chelated magnesium of which there are several varieties.
From what I've seen, magnesium deficiency is mostly the imaginary malaise du juor. It's somewhat ideal for the snake oil salespeople as it's really hard to test for, and you can ascribe a whole bunch of symptoms to it.
Old 09-26-19, 02:33 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I suspected something may have changed which is why I specified how long ago this coursework was. They don't just happen after damage, do they? Most of them are so transient that it doesn't seem like any sort of structural cause would be likely.
As noted, they are normal in the gastroc-soleus and, rarely, throughout the body in the syndrome of benign fasciculation. However, they are the hallmark of motor nerve damage from trauma, disc herniation, rapidly progressive neuropathies, etc. When they occur "out of the blue" everyone's first thought is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
Old 09-26-19, 05:43 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
For leg cramps and other aches I apply Celadrin cream topically and that helps.
Old 09-26-19, 06:06 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 717 Times in 347 Posts
I used to get them in my quads after a night of track races. My legs would be twitching like mad.
Old 09-26-19, 06:30 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by big chainring
I used to get them in my quads after a night of track races. My legs would be twitching like mad.
We will infer that it was benign in your case too. I get them in my left vastus medialis, but the L3 root got mooshed by a disc fragment a few years ago.
Old 09-27-19, 04:49 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I have had them bad enough where I could only coast to a road sign and stop and lean on it, I couldn’t even get off the bike.
Old 09-27-19, 05:46 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I have heart rhythm issues that are closely tied to the electrolyte levels in my body. If I get really dehydrated, I'll get PVCs. which are a form of spasm.
I do occasionally get muscle twitches as described but not too often. Leg cramps? Never.

But never say never. My wife and I were on our tandem mountain bike up in Alberta/B.C. back at the end of August. It was a looonnnggg day and I got dehydrated a bit and I started getting leg cramps like crazy. Since I never have any issues like that, I didn't have any mustard packets along. So I drank as much water as I could and things evened out eventually. The next 4 days (another 200+ miles) and didn't have any more issues.
Old 09-27-19, 04:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I get those jittery but painless muscle quivers too, thighs and calves. I also get painful cramps, usually right after a hard workout ride and while I'm sitting or sleeping.

Magnesium lactate seems to work better for me than the more common magnesium oxide. It's also in Sportlegs supplement but kinda pricey. I buy it in capsule form, open the gel cap and pour it into an energy drink of my own concoction, which I drink before and after rides. Magnesium lactate can make some folks gassy so watch out the first time you try it, especially if you're lactose intolerant. I take it with digestive enzymes so there's no problem.
Old 09-27-19, 05:40 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Do not eat grapes right after ingesting mag lact. Omfg the ibs & gassing. Goodlord!