Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Quick detach saddle bag suggestions?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-02-19, 09:05 AM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a quick detach saddle bag that clamps onto the saddle rails? I've been using a Bell branded bag and the Velcro strap has been pretty horrible. I ended up using a bunch of Velcro cable straps around the entire bag in addition to the sewn in one just to keep it from falling off. I'd also like to be able to easily move it between bikes, so a permanently mounted clip might not be the best solution.

*I was eyeing Topeak stuff, but not sure how quickly the plastic clamp thing can moved around.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-19, 09:24 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I have several sizes of the topeak bags and the f25 fixer on a few bikes. It's not a bad system. Pretty easy to remove/attach the fixer if you need to for some reason. I also have a Rixen & Kaul KLICKfix Berthoud saddle bag that I move between two bikes. I like the topeak system a little better for small bags and the KLICKfix system better for larger bags.
Old 10-02-19, 09:33 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
After using clip on quick release bags for years, I've found that the simple velcro design on the seatrolls works best:

https://roadrunnerbags.us/products/tool-saddle-roll
Old 10-02-19, 09:39 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I've used the Lyzene (sp?) version. Don't use any saddle bag anymore. I prefer to carry my repair kit in my jersey's center pocket.
Old 10-02-19, 09:39 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts

Silca Capsule. I replaced my Topeak bags with these.
Old 10-02-19, 01:11 PM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Ortlieb saddlebags. You can buy spare mounts too, to easily move it from bike to bike. https://ortliebusa.com/product-categ...cle-seat-bags/
Old 10-02-19, 01:23 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Check the SCICON line of saddle bags with the roller mount system.

I have used them in the past and like them a lot. I no longer use a saddle bag, so I don't need to use my SCICON. One of their best feature was the fact that one can easily move them from one bike to another. Another great feature is the absence of straps to damage bib shorts.

For those of us blessed with sprinter thighs, saddle bags with straps can quickly chew through most bib shorts.

https://us.sciconbags.com/saddlebags-frame-bags
Old 10-02-19, 02:53 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
I have tried several bags....my favorite is the Lezyne model that's a clamshell.
Old 10-02-19, 04:28 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
No idea how much space you need, but the Arundel Dual is a single velcro strap and pretty quick to install. It's great for me. Holds 2 tubes, 2x CO2, Inflator head, tire lever, small multi-tool, pair of nitrile gloves, and a couple quicklinks.
Old 10-02-19, 04:54 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Synack42
Just wondering if anyone could recommend a quick detach saddle bag that clamps onto the saddle rails? I've been using a Bell branded bag and the Velcro strap has been pretty horrible. I ended up using a bunch of Velcro cable straps around the entire bag in addition to the sewn in one just to keep it from falling off. I'd also like to be able to easily move it between bikes, so a permanently mounted clip might not be the best solution.

*I was eyeing Topeak stuff, but not sure how quickly the plastic clamp thing can moved around.

Thanks!
Not sure what that means???

I've got Topeak saddle bags, in various sizes, that are easily moved from bike to bike.
Old 10-02-19, 10:40 PM
DrDyno

Bikes: 2007 Quiring Ti + 2014 Focus Izalco + 2009 Dynamic Synergy + 80's Bottecchia w/105 Crank Set + 2010 Jamis Commuter-4 + 1999 GT Slipstream Hybrid

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I use this from Amazon. I have two of them and, rather than fill each with my necessities, I just attached the under-seat clip on both bikes and switch one bag back and forth... instantly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 10-03-19, 01:52 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
SCICON bags have a nifty, quick and secure quick release. I used one of their smallest for a month and it worked fine. Just too small for my needs -- it wouldn't hold all I want on my road bikes. I snagged one on special from Amazon for only $5 so it was worth it to try their QR system. I'd consider one of their larger bags. The QR clamp attaches/detaches without tools, hold securely and the bag didn't waggle or pop loose during the month I tried it, including on some very rough rides.

The best compromise I've found in a compact saddle bag that's functional, small and easy to mount/remove is the Lezyne Road Caddy. It's squarish, flattish, uses a single wide Velcro strap and works very well. If I pack a thinwall tube like the Continental Race 28 Light, there's enough room for a tube, Lezyne patch kit, CO2 kit with teensy chuck (Lezyne and others make minimalist chucks), Hero Kit multitool (the flattest I've found with a spoke and chain tool), a pair of heavy duty tire levers, and a few other tiny items.

The Lezyne Road Caddy isn't a quick release, just a Velcro strap, but it's quick, easy and secure.

And, a plus, it leaves enough room to strap a spare folding tire on longer unsupported rides. I just use another Velcro strap to secure it under the Lezyne Road Caddy. It's still so flat there's no risk of rubbing the tire, and it doesn't waggle around.
Old 10-03-19, 06:14 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Depends how much space you need but I use one of these and it attaches to seat post rather than the rails

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rixen-Kaul-.../dp/B000OZBMZ8
Old 10-03-19, 06:31 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Well, there's Carradice with their Bagman system and Frost & Seekers with their Quicklock system.
Old 10-03-19, 05:14 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 5teve
Ortlieb saddlebags. You can buy spare mounts too, to easily move it from bike to bike. https://ortliebusa.com/product-categ...cle-seat-bags/
This is my choice. I’ve used all sorts if seat bags, and these are the ones I’ve had for the past four years. I have two Micro bags and one bigger one in which I can carry a bit more stuff. Each of my bikes has the seat clamp, so I can just move the bags around from bike to bike. They snap on securely, and when we stop for coffee or a snack, I just pop the bag off and bring it with me. Best seat bag I’ve used.
Old 10-03-19, 05:33 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Currently using a Topeak under saddle bag. The needs for both my hybrid (Trek DS) and Mongoose gravel bike are the same. So, just got two clamps and transfer the bag as necessary. A member also provided a suggestion for a bar bag capable of accommodating small cameras. It too was a Topeak. Bought two clamps and transfer it between both bikes as necessary. Both have worked well.