Notices
Great Lakes Rides and Events Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Hello from Missouri

Old 09-24-19, 01:51 AM
bhugh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello from Missouri

Hello from Missouri! I run our nonprofit statewide bicycle & pedestrian federation here, going on the 17th year. And we're celebrating our organization's 25th Anniversary on November 7th, so w00t!

If you want some interesting things to think about in Missouri, you can check out some of the interesting cross-state touring and historical routes we've been putting together recently. Some of these are still more or less in draft state, but there is nothing stopping the adventurous from giving any of them a whirl (or at least starting to think about them).

Our goal is to have a mostly gravel option and a low-traffic/low-stress paved route option for each segment--though you'll see that many have one or the other option but not both yet.

Butterfield Stage Experience - 250 miles, mostly gravel--the longest overland stage route ever attempted. Amazing landscapes, welcoming communities, unknown history--and the opportunity to extend the route 2500 miles all the way to San Francisco CA. Ribbon cutting/Grand Opening Oct 26th:
ridewithgps.com/events/83976

Bike MOPAC - exploring the Missouri Pacific railroad, first railroad west of the Mississippi. 350+ miles St Louis-Kansas City. Much gravel.
ridewithgps.com/events/95944

Birthplace of the Santa Fe Trail - Explore the cradle of the Santa Fe, Oregon, and California Trails from Boonslick to Arrow Rock to Independence, Westport, and the Parting of the Trails. 450+ miles, paved & gravel options for many legs
ridewithgps.com/events/97552

Lewis & Clark Missouri River Adventure - For the river lover out there--you're going to get up close and personal with the Missouri River and you're going remote. Better have a few days' food with you. Around 1500 miles of routes, north & south side of the river covered (your choice, or make a loop & do both), mostly gravel, mostly remote, mostly beautiful, and mostly completely unseen by everyone. Gateway Arch St Louis to Sergeant Floyd Monument Sioux City.
ridewithgps.com/events/105329

Missouri Trail of Tears Historic Bicycle Route - Take a ride through history and through some of the most beautiful, wild, and scenic places in Missouri on the Missouri Trail of Tears Bicycle Route--featuring over 700 miles of gravel and low-traffic paved routes in a loop across southern Missouri.
ridewithgps.com/events/105467

Ozark Trail Mountain Bike/Bikepacking Network - Over 1000 miles of routes and loops based around Missouri's Ozark Trail, taking in vast swaths of Mark Twain National Forest and surrounding wilderness areas, conservation areas, and state parks, including over 250 miles of Ozark Trail singletrack. Mostly remote singletrack and gravel forest roads, with a few low-traffic paved routes as needed to complete the connections or reach civilization for a re-supply.
ridewithgps.com/events/95771

Rock Island Trail Connectors - You may have heard we're working on a new cross-state trail in Missouri, the Rock Island Trail. It will be 250-ish miles when done, Kansas City-St Louis area, and connect with the Katy Trail in two places, making some cool cross-state loop trail rides possible. But . . . it's going to be maybe 20-30 years before that is all complete and rideable. We're impatient, so you can ride a series of amazing gravel routes that connect every Rock Island community--and many in the surrounding region--and you can do it today. Main trunk Washington-Windsor is about 200 miles, with another 500-1000 miles of routes to surrounding communities and destinations ready to ride. Mostly gravel.
ridewithgps.com/events/95937

Connecting the Katy & Rock Island Trails to the Great American Railtrail - ~850 miles of connecting routes, gravel & paved options, from the western end of the Katy/Rock Island system to the Omaha metro area trail system:
ridewithgps.com/events/89808

Last edited by bhugh; 09-24-19 at 01:54 AM.
Likes For bhugh:
Old 09-24-19, 09:23 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
bhugh,
A hearty welcome to another rider from the "Show Me State", it sounds like there is a lot of activity for cyclist there...Many thanks for the information that you have provided, I am sure the folks nearby will take advantage of it.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-24-19, 10:29 AM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Nice to see some more Missouri peeps.
I'm down just outside/below Fredericktown.

I'm just getting back into riding bikes.
I have a Trek MTB and a Giant XC bike, but I ride them mostly on paved trails and roads as I'm not comfortable on the bikes with smooth skinny tires and drop bars..
Hopefully getting a BMX soon.

There are not a lot of (or any) trails around here that I know of, but I've not lived here real long.
Old 10-04-19, 11:25 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 56 Posts
Greetings Missouri folks!

Do any of you have firsthand knowledge of the Katy Trail conditions, specifically the section between St. Charles to Portland? A dear friend is celebrating his 79th birthday and would like to do an out-and-back on the Katy Trail of ~80 miles (total) to celebrate. He isn't having much luck getting reliable information about conditions and any detours. Here is the RWGPS link I put together. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31201308

I'm from northern Illinois so am not much help. We are driving over from Granite City, IL.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-07-19, 07:04 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
Greetings Missouri folks!

Do any of you have firsthand knowledge of the Katy Trail conditions, specifically the section between St. Charles to Portland? A dear friend is celebrating his 79th birthday and would like to do an out-and-back on the Katy Trail of ~80 miles (total) to celebrate. He isn't having much luck getting reliable information about conditions and any detours. Here is the RWGPS link I put together. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31201308

I'm from northern Illinois so am not much help. We are driving over from Granite City, IL.

Thanks in advance!
Here's couple of great resources for the Katy Trail.
https://bikekatytrail.com/forum.aspx
https://bikekatytrail.com/trail-condition-report.aspx

From what I gather, St. Charles to Portland is in pretty good shape. There is one detour through Klondike Park which is between Defiance and Augusta. The detour is hilly and has some rough gravel. I recommend being very careful and slow on the descent out of the park if you are going from east to west. It's very steep and there's some sand at the bottom. I've both walked and biked the detour at Klondike Park.

Near MM 97 there is a report of a bridge out however Case Road makes for a nice detour around it.

Another option would be to ride the excellent Madison County Trails that are close to Granite City. Most are asphalt, but there's a few that are crushed limestone. Actually I bet that your bicycling friend knows all about them already.
Old 10-08-19, 04:22 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 56 Posts
@JerrySTL - thank you so much for this information. It is very helpful! The Madison County Trails (asphalt ones) are our Plan B if it ended up being rainy as neither of us wants to deal with the mess that the combination of crushed limestone and rain makes.

I'll try to remember to come back after our adventure and let you know what we ended up doing.
Old 10-10-19, 11:13 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'm originally from Boonville. Not there anymore - I live in western Missouri now near KC.

Nice to see some other Missourians on here.
Old 10-26-19, 02:36 AM
BrendaAnderson

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, go on take advantage.
Old 10-26-19, 02:36 AM
BrendaAnderson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good option to go with.
Likes For BrendaAnderson:
Old 11-07-19, 01:23 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
Hey Brent

Good to see you are still there...
Old 02-23-20, 11:04 AM
TIMOK

Bikes: Co-OP Adv 1.1, Raleigh 3 speed, 80's Trek, Indy Fab. Crown Jewel, yada yada yada

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
KATY section ride in June

I’m looking at planning a ride from Herman to Chesterfield or St Charles at the end of June this year. I’ll have about 1.5 days to ride before a weekend family get together. It looks like there will be an official group ride ending then too. Looking for help with places to stay, conditions, typical weather challenges etc. I’m traveling from the Twin Cities....

thanks
TimOK
Old 04-18-20, 12:32 AM
Athousandpins

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rock island

Looking forward to riding a longer section of rock island trails. I live real close to one in KC MO and even ride it with my road bike.
Likes For Athousandpins:
Old 04-18-20, 08:20 PM
Bluesfrog

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I missed this as it is not in the plains section. I'm north of KC myself. A friend and I drove to Rocheport and got on the Katy trail. We rode to a small town past Columbia and before Jefferson City. About a 25 mile ride each way. I found out then the stress of a rail bed is more than the 50 milers I rode regularly on asphalt. Fine gravel takes more energy and no hills, just gentle grades. The nature aspect was great. Lots of critters when you are mostly out of towns. You can see the Missouri river from lots of places. It was a fun 25 out and 25 back. We stopped in an old river town and had lunch at a burger and soda joint. The railroad tunnel is just west of the station in Rocheport. You can still see the carbon on the walls and ceiling of the tunnel from the train engines. I may one day do the Katy trail ride across the state. Lots to see and do in the state of Misery. Good luck and Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 06-24-20, 08:17 AM
Andysalman67

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info posted, it's really useful for the newbies!