Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1990 Marin Pine Mountain

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-19, 12:31 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
1990 Marin Pine Mountain

I can pick up a 1990 Marin Pine Mountain for $90 or less. Looks like a good bike with good parts, but I don't need another bike and sales are slow to non-existent. I don't sell on the bay, so I think I will pass unless someone tells me that I am crazy for not taking it.
Old 10-09-19, 01:14 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This is a high end MTB, right? I have a hard time not buying high end vintage MTBs when I can pick them up for around a $100. The parts are worth more than the asking price and they make great loaners. Plus they're fun to ride.

I just picked up a 1992 Stumpjumper at that price. A few years ago I picked up a 1993 Trek 950 at that price. And a few years before that I picked up a 1987 Stumpjumper Comp again at that price. I have terrible impulse control when a cool old MTB pops up in my size at around $100,

Old 10-09-19, 04:40 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
This is a high end MTB, right? I have a hard time not buying high end vintage MTBs when I can pick them up for around a $100.
I have the same problem, what's wrong with us? Just picked up a MB1... and a 970 a few weeks ago (paid up for the 970 since it's for my fiance). I am unsuccessfully trying to to stop.

I feel bad parting out higher end / rare bikes. I usually restore / keep them original.

According to the 1990 catalog, the Pine Mountain was the DX model (2nd from top), the Team Marin was the XT. I wouldn't have the heart to replace the orange stem and handlebar. I'd buy it at $90 if it's in good shape and your size.
Old 10-09-19, 04:45 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
I have the same problem, what's wrong with us? Just picked up a MB1... and a 970 a few weeks ago (paid up for the 970 since it's for my fiance). I am unsuccessfully trying to to stop.

I feel bad parting out higher end / rare bikes. I usually restore / keep them original.

According to the 1990 catalog, the Pine Mountain was the DX model (2nd from top), the Team Marin was the XT. I wouldn't have the heart to replace the orange stem and handlebar. I'd buy it at $90 if it's in good shape and your size.
snip . . .
It's tough to beat a MB 1 but it's the only used MTB that I paid more than a $100 or so for,

Old 10-10-19, 05:44 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I limit myself to one mountain bike (I have no limit on road bikes). Earlier this year I picked up an Eldridge Grade of the same year. It is one step below the Pine Mountain but has some of the same components. It is a nice, well made bike. If I didn't have a one mountain bike limit I would buy the Pine Mountain for $90 or less. I paid $25 for mine including delivery.